Weight Loss PVP: 10 or 12 lbs in 10 or 12 Weeks! [Jan 2 - Mar 19]

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Did my weigh in today. The most I've weighed since I started NF. I have more muscle than I did 10 years ago, but still too much fluff. Made a mental decision. I'm going to lose the weight and inches this year. I'm going to keep at it until I do. If I need to take some diet breaks of a week or two, fine, but then I am going to get back on it. I'm tired of the continual weight gain. I don't like the way I'm going, and I need to stop. Signed in to MFP again today and tracked my breakfast

Have you identified what's stopping you? Is it snacks? Is it because you're hungry, or some other reason?

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

I did a weigh-in on Saturday for New Year's and was down 0.4 lbs, but then put 0.2 of that back on by Monday. It does not help that my kid (who is 25) asked for orange chocolate cheesecake for their birthday dinner.

Orange chocolate cheesecake sounds worth being a little bit fatter for... Mmm.

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

My approach for this week is no snacking between meals. I can eat whatever I want at the meals, so long as there is some protein. I can have tea or low-cal drinks between meals.

I hope that breaking the habit of snacking and eating chocolate when I'm stressed with get me part of the way to losing the extra weight. I expect I will need to cut back on sweets too, but that can wait until the first bad habit is cleaned up.

Me too. I snack when I'm not hungry, and it adds a lot of calories. It's such a hard habit to break because it has a strong emotional component. I hope the meditation will help.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Woohoo! I started my diet the day I came across this team, Dec 30th and was 205.4.  Today, Jan 5, I'm 201.9!  I know it's mostly all water weight by staying away from salt.....but it feels great to be down 3.5lbs.

What I'm eating:

Breakfast 10:00 - a fresh delicious avocado

Snack 11:30 - half of a Banana (yum)

Lunch 1:30 - small chicken salad with whatever dressing I want

Snack - 3:00 - other half of banana

Dinner 6:00 - small portion of whatever I'm craving

I know I can tighten up the dinner better but if I do then I'll feel deprived and quit.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Fickle Pixel said:

Woohoo! I started my diet the day I came across this team, Dec 30th and was 205.4.  Today, Jan 5, I'm 201.9!  I know it's mostly all water weight by staying away from salt.....but it feels great to be down 3.5lbs.

What I'm eating:

Breakfast 10:00 - a fresh delicious avocado

Snack 11:30 - half of a Banana (yum)

Lunch 1:30 - small chicken salad with whatever dressing I want

Snack - 3:00 - other half of banana

Dinner 6:00 - small portion of whatever I'm craving

I know I can tighten up the dinner better but if I do then I'll feel deprived and quit.  Any suggestions?

I think not feeling deprived is the key to long term weight management, so I wouldn't try to tighten this up at all, especially if you're losing weight. In fact, it doesn't look like much food for anyone--hardly any protein for one thing, and it looks like mostly fruit and veg?

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

4 hours ago, Fickle Pixel said:

I agree with @Harriet, feeling deprived is a recipe for failure. You would be better off just eating your favorite foods in smaller portions.

What about food and meals is important to you? Do you go for the easiest thing to eat? Are there comfort foods you want to have for certain meals or in specific situations? Do you need to eat most of your food at some point in the day?

Whatever plan you choose has to meet your main requirements. Once those are clear, you can modify your choices to cut back on calories. The NF article here covers that in detail. General advice is to eat protein at every meal and swap non-calorie beverages for ones with calories (soft drinks, beer, milkshakes). More protein will help you feel full and maintain muscle while you lose fat (but only if you exercise too).

The meals you have listed are fine, but are only a snapshot of the bigger picture. Think about what you want your eating to look like a year from now, after you have reached your target weight. If you can't see still eating similar meals after a year, consider if they are really a good fit for you now.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Have you identified what's stopping you? Is it snacks? Is it because you're hungry, or some other reason?

I think just tracking in MFP helps. It makes it easier for me to tell myself no to snack, if I can show myself that I already have eaten calories. Also, I'm going the slow route, and having less of a deficit, so I don't get burned out due to being hungry all the time. And, I am going to allow myself to take a one week break if I'm getting burned out (like once every 6 weeks or so) Also, implementing the eating skills of eating slow, and thinking about how full I am.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

I think not feeling deprived is the key to long term weight management, so I wouldn't try to tighten this up at all, especially if you're losing weight. In fact, it doesn't look like much food for anyone--hardly any protein for one thing, and it looks like mostly fruit and veg?

I'm having chicken in my salad a protein at dinner time.  This is working for me now so we will see where it goes.  

I'm not a soda drinking and I have my coffee black.  

I was at a great weight until I hit menopause and then blew up like a balloon 🎈  

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Fickle Pixel said:

I'm having chicken in my salad a protein at dinner time.  This is working for me now so we will see where it goes.  

I'm not a soda drinking and I have my coffee black.  

Ugh. I hear you on this. I was fine until Perimenonpause. Menopause has actually been easier. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Fickle Pixel said:

This ^^ after my surgery it seemed so hard to get and keep it off :( 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

7 hours ago, Fickle Pixel said:

If it works for you, that's what matters 😊

Finally got around to entering my deets on THE SPREADSHEET and making the increment changes to my lifestyle and routine that'll help get that number snowballing in the right direction!

• Like 4

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Weighed in, down 2 pounds from start! Has been up and down all over the place the last week, so this could just be (probably mostly is) a lucky blip, but I was so excited to see the low number that I updated the spreadsheet right away, haha. It sure does help the weight loss efforts when I work on campus: built in walking commute means I get tons of steps in even if I don’t do any formal exercise, and I’m away from household snacks most of the day. 

• Like 6

Down 1.7 kg - water weight from week (plus 'temporarily' christmas weight gain).  Still happy to be back around 68 which is what I was for several weeks/months before Christmas so glad that the weight gain didn't 'stick' as a set weight.

Now the challenging part of moving that set weight back down a few kg.

Slipped back into the 'low carb' food choices quite easily - mostly due to my son also 'getting back on the horse'.

Work next week, so work lunches sorted and the advantage of a work schedule to maybe curb the (low carb) snacking

• Like 6

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Numbers have been updated!

Was sick last week and ate next to nothing, so that really helped. Being quarantined for the upcoming week, want to do small lunch lifting workouts to get something going as i may not leave the house to go running. I actually started this Adventuring Party with a few numbers in the 84, and now it seems like i'm at low 82's so that's nice!

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

100g up since last week. It's fine, it's cool. I just need a little practice picking the right foods. Not all lunchmeat, for example, is made equal--ham and pastrami have a lot more protein than fleischekäse and mortadella. And I need to maybe just go a little lighter on the nut butters. And the cheese. It's fine. It takes time. It's for life, not just for new year.

• Like 5

3.5 lbs. down 😮 this week, making smarter choices and not letting my eyes get bigger than my stomach (and the feeling the need to have to clean my plate because early life programing). 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

And the cheese.

I get this.  I really struggle with fitting cheese into my goals.  I like cheese.  A lot.  Sometimes I end up having cheese with every meal.  I've tried low fat cheese but I'm usually disappointed.  I try to portion cheese and I am usually disappointed.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Spreadsheet updated

Starting 248.4

Week 1: 245.6 (down 2.8)

This is just a lucky week.  I lost the holiday bloat and then extra just sort of melted with it.  I haven't done anything much different than usual.  I did maintain an average calorie deficit of 50 on top of the deficit built into my daily calorie goal but I'm not even sure it's the consistency that's doing the work.  I think it's magic.  But I'm eager to ride the wave as long as it lasts.  

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I am back where I was at the start. My exercise has been consistent, so this means I am still eating too much.

I did well on not snacking every day last week except Friday. That is a good start on improving my habits. This week I am continuing the not snacking and keeping to a window of 7:30am to 6:30pm for meals. I am adding having fruit before I can have other sweets. My sweet craving might be my body wanting more fruit and veggies. I am also going to cut back my portion sizes a bit. 🤞

• Like 7

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Had to accept reality this week. A lot of my work clothes from before COVID don't fit anymore because I have gained weight, so I had to essentially get a new wardrobe. I was just telling myself that I will be able to fit into things by the end of the year, but it was humbling. I also haven't had a great few days with diet but today is a new day! I need to watch my portions and get after it with the exercise. 

Happy Monday everyone! 

• Like 7

I keep trying and failing with the mindful eating. Apparently I find it impossibly painful to just sit at a table and do nothing but chew. How does anyone manage? Why can't I bring my meditation practice to the table?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

How does anyone manage?

I can't manage either.  90% of the time I eat in front of the tv.  I rely on logging so that the food in front of me is appropriate and I don't really *think* about it, even though I think about it a lot ahead of time.  I hope you find something that works.

• Like 2

Did my weigh-in this morning and I am up a pound. This is dispiriting because I have been much better with my nutrition since the new year. I've cut down on sweets, soda and fried foods and tried to eat more vegetables and drink more water. I've also been good about tracking my calories but I must be underestimating how much I have been eating. I'm honestly a bit shocked but it is what it is. I just have to keep adjusting things and stay positive. I hope everyone else had a good week! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1