Harriet's Year of Battle: First Skirmish

Harriet

Friday

I meditated, got groceries, wrote, and went for a short walk in the park.

I had a nice conversation with Mr Harriet last night. He realised I am unhappy, and we talked about it. I apparently misinterpreted our last conversation and had the feeling I was being downgraded to housemate since some of his habits and words made me feel unloved and uninteresting to him. Mr Harriet assures me this is not true. However, I still need to work on my independence, because I do have a habit of going to him for attention, comfort, distraction quite a lot, and that just doesn’t work when he’s working from home and is particularly unhelpful during this phase of his work, during which he will be extremely busy and stressed.

He has been silent about my food, except a couple of times when he said that something I was eating looked or smelled good (I don’t think he meant it, I think it was a deliberate attempt to make me feel comfortable after his complaints about the smell of meat cooking. I appreciate this). He also said he wants to start eating fish again sometimes, and we had sushi with the friend who came over. I realised that sushi fish doesn’t taste like much, and I can quite happily eat it with the ginger. There’s a place not far from here, so this could be an excellent upgrade to my diet.

I sent him a draft of my essay, which I hope to post very soon. It has been flippin months of working and then not working on it. Time to move on. I started reading the next book on my list, Bell Hooks’ Ain’t I a Woman?

I started writing up my “food triage” to help me figure out what to focus on and what can wait. I am also deciding on a reading project and an art project. I think I’d like to buy an anatomy class that I found earlier (but didn’t get because it was a bit more expensive and so needs some commitment). And for the reading learning, I’m tossing up between 1. dinosaur biology and 2. reading all the books on my reader. You know, the ones I bought and then didn’t read. All of them. ALL OF THEM.

I bought some worsted weight corriedale/falklands yarn in a soft black (colour name: Moria) to make the pattern below (that's not me, it's a model, obv.). Unfortunately, my watch has frayed the sleeves of my two favourite sweaters! But they are also quite big on me now since I lost weight. Obviously I need more sweaters. Yes, more sweaters, that is the solution. I’m swatching now. I also finished a blanket of red leftovers.

Spoiler

Deliciosa_Brooklyn_Tweed_Fall_2020_NorahIMG_9488.jpg.25c444d3abd626beb62ae215185410dd.jpg

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

I could try to do this. I've done it before but then lost interest. We'll have to see what I can do to maintain interest when things don't change much for weeks at a time.

Maybe recording once a week would be enough if your changes are more gradual? As long as you stay away from the panettone, hopefully you won't have any dramatic swings in symptoms! I'd be happy to help on the data vis side in a few months if that would help with the motivation.

I think I might need the fruit for happiness. But I can alternate--some days with berries, some days with tasty sweet potato. I think this would fit into a 50g/day plan along with some vegetables and dairy.

I'm still interested in paleo, AIP, carnivore, and other tweaks, but I think they need to wait.

Happiness is important too. That sounds like a great balance :)

Maybe you can earmark something like AIP for the second half of the year if you plateau on keto.

No, I just have a body hatred demon that I have been unable to exorcise. I'm 66kg/165cm and pear shaped with some visible muscle, so the most health-related thing I could say about losing weight is that enhancing my muscle to weight ratio could reduce the cost for activities like walking, shopping, cleaning, etc. But unless I lie to myself and everyone else, I can't say that it should be a top priority.

Yeah. Don't let me get away with bullshitting about this. I'd LOVE to be thinner but that doesn't mean I should focus on it right now.

I'll keep you straight ❤️. If you want some people on social media to follow for regular reminders, let me know. I would also gently suggest stepping away from the weight loss PVP if that's a trigger for your diet mind (promise I'm not a crazy stalker 😅 - I was browsing the forums the other day).

I've noticed that I'm more likely to want to control my intake and diet when I have other stressors in my life, especially things I can't control. Any chance something similar is going on for you? E.g., since you can't fully control your fatigue and mental health, you want to work on your weight because it's something you can control? 

I'm glad you had a good talk with Mr Harriet - I hope that alleviates some of the relationship stress and that you can find a good balance! I'm also really glad he's been supporting your food choices and even relaxing his own dietary restrictions.

Dinosaur biology sounds really cool! Did you find a particular book or course?

• Thanks 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

So much goodness in the update ❤️

For the sweater sleeves, could you line just that bit with silk or cotton? I’ve seen cardigans with faux sleeve cuffs attached (so it looks like you’re wearing a blouse under, without the actual layer). Might protect from watch snagging.

• Like 1

I love your Berlin floors!!! and the knitted jumper!

glad you talked to your partner. If it was me I would be in my spouses room all the goddamn time, so I am very proud of your thoughtful approach to his working times.

I think keto meals smell amazing and he meant it too ;)

keep up the goodness and I hope you find fun new projects!

• Like 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

She must be a rather busy demon with all those humans to attend to 😆

I think she has a lot of minions she delegates to.

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

He also said he wants to start eating fish again sometimes, and we had sushi with the friend who came over. I realised that sushi fish doesn’t taste like much, and I can quite happily eat it with the ginger. There’s a place not far from here, so this could be an excellent upgrade to my diet.

Sushi is fantastic food. All the bright colors always cheer me up. I hope you continue to enjoy sushi. It might go a long way towards reducing the relationship stress to find food that you both can enjoy eating together? :) 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

Maybe recording once a week would be enough if your changes are more gradual? As long as you stay away from the panettone, hopefully you won't have any dramatic swings in symptoms! I'd be happy to help on the data vis side in a few months if that would help with the motivation.

Yes, quite possibly I could just review the week. That would be easier. Ooh, thank you for the offer. I assume you mean graphs. You mean graphs, right, not interpretive paintings with dinosaurs? (I can do those)

Happiness is important too. That sounds like a great balance :)

Maybe you can earmark something like AIP for the second half of the year if you plateau on keto.

I'm thinking 50g first half, possibly 100 carbs or just carb-unrestricted paleo second half, then maybe AIP next year if I like. (and a carnivore mini trial if Mr Harriet travels for more than a couple of weeks?)

I'll keep you straight ❤️. If you want some people on social media to follow for regular reminders, let me know. I would also gently suggest stepping away from the weight loss PVP if that's a trigger for your diet mind (promise I'm not a crazy stalker 😅 - I was browsing the forums the other day).

Lol how dare you make sense and follow through 😛  I don't use social media, though.

I've noticed that I'm more likely to want to control my intake and diet when I have other stressors in my life, especially things I can't control. Any chance something similar is going on for you? E.g., since you can't fully control your fatigue and mental health, you want to work on your weight because it's something you can control? 

Stress, things out of my control, and weight obsession? Yes, that could describe my entire life since adolescence.

I'm glad you had a good talk with Mr Harriet - I hope that alleviates some of the relationship stress and that you can find a good balance! I'm also really glad he's been supporting your food choices and even relaxing his own dietary restrictions.

Thanks ❤️

Dinosaur biology sounds really cool! Did you find a particular book or course?

I saw it on on of the course platforms we were talking about. I can't see how much it costs, though. It says 'enroll for free' but I don't think it is free.

8 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

So much goodness in the update ❤️

For the sweater sleeves, could you line just that bit with silk or cotton? I’ve seen cardigans with faux sleeve cuffs attached (so it looks like you’re wearing a blouse under, without the actual layer). Might protect from watch snagging.

It's a possibility. I'd have to figure out how to join a woven fabric to a knit sleeve convincingly. It could make it stiff and annoying, although less so with satin. I have decided to stop wearing the watch, though.

7 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I love your Berlin floors!!! and the knitted jumper!

glad you talked to your partner. If it was me I would be in my spouses room all the goddamn time, so I am very proud of your thoughtful approach to his working times.

I think keto meals smell amazing and he meant it too ;)

keep up the goodness and I hope you find fun new projects!

Thanks! Yeah, we have groovy old parkett from the 1910s I think. OMGoddess I'm glad I'm not the only one who would be distracted by and bother my partner if they work at home 😅

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I think she has a lot of minions she delegates to.

If I were a demon, I would have minions, so this makes sense.

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Sushi is fantastic food. All the bright colors always cheer me up. I hope you continue to enjoy sushi. It might go a long way towards reducing the relationship stress to find food that you both can enjoy eating together? :) 

I wonder if there is a way to prepare fish at home so it doesn't have much smell, either? Maybe a gentler method like poaching? Frying is the worst, in my experience, and baking is a little better, but each fish is different. Some smell, some don't.

I hope so! My brother and I also cook for him every weekend when we have our common meat dinner. Mr Harriet and I also have a very fancy restaurant booked for February (his favourite, the one to which he compares all other restaurants in the world). One of those places where there's like seven small things. I shall enjoy everything except the bread.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I wonder if there is a way to prepare fish at home so it doesn't have much smell, either? Maybe a gentler method like poaching? Frying is the worst, in my experience, and baking is a little better, but each fish is different. Some smell, some don't.

Different types of fish are more or less, well, pungent, for lack of a better word. White fish is probably the mildest, especially if it was frozen fresh. Look for cod and flounder, they're both very mild in taste and aroma. For extra camouflage, season them generously, with lemon, peppers, capers, bread it like you would chicken tenders, and so on. Soaking/Marinating the fish in lemon juice before cooking it supposedly makes it taste less fishy as well.

This page has some suggestions and links to more resources: https://www.livestrong.com/article/13731242-how-to-make-fish-taste-less-fishy/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

52 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yes, quite possibly I could just review the week. That would be easier. Ooh, thank you for the offer. I assume you mean graphs. You mean graphs, right, not interpretive paintings with dinosaurs? (I can do those)

Yep! Fancy graphs :D

I'm thinking 50g first half, possibly 100 carbs or just carb-unrestricted paleo second half, then maybe AIP next year if I like. (and a carnivore mini trial if Mr Harriet travels for more than a couple of weeks?)

I suggested AIP since it gradually becomes paleo with reintroductions (which can start after 3 weeks, if I remember correctly), but it is a big adjustment and I did Paleo first, too. I guess it will also depend on what you feel like after a consistent 50 g carbs/day!

Lol how dare you make sense and follow through 😛  I don't use social media, though.

Fair, I don't much either!

Off of social media, Molly Galbraith/Girls Gone Strong has a Love Your Body challenge that I did as part of an NF challenge ages ago (first day here, search with the rest of the posts here - this is her old website, so a lot of the within-post links no longer work). She also has a short course on her new website, but I haven't taken it.

54 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I saw it on on of the course platforms we were talking about. I can't see how much it costs, though. It says 'enroll for free' but I don't think it is free.

Ooooh link? Coursera seems to be moving away from any free options, unfortunately. For a lot of online courses, you can audit them - you just don't have access to homework and quizzes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Yep! Fancy graphs :D

Yay! Although if they just flatline it will be very depressing.

I suggested AIP since it gradually becomes paleo with reintroductions (which can start after 3 weeks, if I remember correctly), but it is a big adjustment and I did Paleo first, too. I guess it will also depend on what you feel like after a consistent 50 g carbs/day!

Ah, good point. I'll have a think about that.

Off of social media, Molly Galbraith/Girls Gone Strong has a Love Your Body challenge that I did as part of an NF challenge ages ago (first day here, search with the rest of the posts here - this is her old website, so a lot of the within-post links no longer work). She also has a short course on her new website, but I haven't taken it.

I have done some body positivity reading and practice, and it helped a little. I'll take a look. (But I honestly do feel a heck of a lot better at 66 than at 75. It's a huge improvement).

Ooooh link? Coursera seems to be moving away from any free options, unfortunately. For a lot of online courses, you can audit them - you just don't have access to homework and quizzes.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/dino101#syllabus

Jurassic Park Dinosaur GIF by Vidiots

49 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Different types of fish are more or less, well, pungent, for lack of a better word. White fish is probably the mildest, especially if it was frozen fresh. Look for cod and flounder, they're both very mild in taste and aroma. For extra camouflage, season them generously, with lemon, peppers, capers, bread it like you would chicken tenders, and so on. Soaking/Marinating the fish in lemon juice before cooking it supposedly makes it taste less fishy as well.

This page has some suggestions and links to more resources: https://www.livestrong.com/article/13731242-how-to-make-fish-taste-less-fishy/

Thank you. I have tried the mild white fish we have here, including cod, and yuck... I don't mind it so much when other people cook it but if I have to prepare it it's hard to get over the yuck.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thank you. I have tried the mild white fish we have here, including cod, and yuck... I don't mind it so much when other people cook it but if I have to prepare it it's hard to get over the yuck.

Why, out of curiosity? I love fish, and when I was a poor student frozen blocks of cod were dirt cheap so I had a lot of practice with them. 

I love fish. Seeing the word yuck used about them is weird to me.  😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Why, out of curiosity? I love fish, and when I was a poor student frozen blocks of cod were dirt cheap so I had a lot of practice with them. 

I love fish. Seeing the word yuck used about them is weird to me.  😁

I've always been a picky eater. I have trouble with any meat that I didn't eat as a child (namely conventional beef cuts, chicken breast, sausages, lunchmeat and the occasional pork chop or bacon. Fresh fish was too expensive for my dad to buy so we only had fish and chips once or twice a year at the beach. I don't mind ultra fresh cod in crispy batter drowned in lemon! But also dad was NOT a good cook).  I've tried to learn to eat more things, but I'm still picky and I'm not the best cook, either. It's just an automatic disgust reaction, in this case to the smell, taste and thought of fish. Mostly the smell though. With sushi, there's no smell, I have eaten it often enough to adjust to the texture, and I can suspend the thoughts with the help of ginger.

Coursera is generally free unless you want the professional certificate to prove to employers you took the course. (Some universities and professional certificates are doing a bit more monetizing, but not too many.)

Mr H's fish is a nice olive branch. In terms of fish cooking without smell, let me recommend:

• Ceviche, which poaches in citrus juice rather than heat
  • Fish soups and stews, especially tomato-based ones (try Italy and Portugal). It's usually a nice flavorful soup, which fills the kitchen with good soup smells, and the fish poaches for a minute at the end, so not enough time or heat to really smell of anything.
  • Recipes that start with a lot of ginger, garlic, and soy sauce in the pan first
  • ETA: Related to the above, there are fish and shrimp curries, both Indian and Thai. The shrimp won't smell fishy, any cooking fish would go in so late in the cooking process that it'd be drowned out by coconut and spices or whatever, and in the case of Thai food, fish sauce is already a major ingredient, so you're unlikely to notice a second fish aroma. Your brain will already account for fish smell in a Thai dish.
  • Shellfish like prawns (clams and oysters, too, but they can be advanced textures), and things like calamari. Very, very different in texture, smell, and taste.
  • Sometimes salmon seems different to people, because it's kind of like the red meat of fish. (Others dislike it because it does have quite a bit of fish oil,  so it's very much personal taste.)
  • Smoked fish, which requires no cooking and is nice on a charcuterie type board
  • Canned fish - this can take some experimentation to find a nice one, but (apart from tuna) these are often very healthy, low toxin fish like sardines and mackerel and herring (smoked and not), and they're cooked already at the point of catch, so they can go right into a salad or dip. They sometimes come in nice sauces as a ready to go appetiser for those who don't need it fancied up a bit. (Which never hurts, frankly.) These also tend to be fish high in healthy fish oils, so they're not for everyone, but they are amazing for your brain.
  • Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Saturday

I meditated, went to the gym for squats, and wrote. My brother will come over for dinner tonight. Pork tenderloin, since there were no steaks. I think I'll roast it gently with some kind of spice or herb crust.

Squats were fine, and I had only minor tiredness after the gym. Mood is good, joints are good.

I learned how to do a tubular cast on. It’s tubular, dude! Now I need to figure out what size to knit given my gauge, which is a wee bit smaller than suggested. Size 1 would have only 6cm positive ease at the chest, but I’m not sure I have enough yarn for size 2, which would have about 15cm ease (too much ease, probably). I’m also wondering if it would be too much trouble to have some gentle shaping. I still want it to be boxy, but I could take a *little* extra fabric off so it’s not hugely floating away at the back, maybe. Maybe I could use a smaller needle for the back instead of trying to incorporate decreases into the lovely stitch design. Hmmmmm.

I started reading *The Gifts of Imperfection* and Brown cites, of all people, Mary Daly! But she names her as a theologian, not a feminist. Daly was in fact a theologian, and a philosopher (she had seven degrees. Seven.) Meanwhile, Mr Harriet gave me some valuable feedback on my Daly essay and I am improving it. I appreciate that he took the time, knowing that he’s busy and quite a slow reader (especially in English).

• Like 8

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Coursera is generally free unless you want the professional certificate to prove to employers you took the course. (Some universities and professional certificates are doing a bit more monetizing, but not too many.)

Ah, good to know.

Mr H's fish is a nice olive branch. In terms of fish cooking without smell, let me recommend:

• Ceviche, which poaches in citrus juice rather than heat
  • Fish soups and stews, especially tomato-based ones (try Italy and Portugal). It's usually a nice flavorful soup, which fills the kitchen with good soup smells, and the fish poaches for a minute at the end, so not enough time or heat to really smell of anything.
  • Recipes that start with a lot of ginger, garlic, and soy sauce in the pan first
  • Shellfish like prawns (clams and oysters, too, but they can be advanced textures), and things like calamari. Very, very different in texture, smell, and taste.
  • Sometimes salmon seems different to people, because it's kind of like the red meat of fish. (Others dislike it because it does have quite a bit of fish oil,  so it's very much personal taste.)
  • Smoked fish, which requires no cooking and is nice on a charcuterie type board
  • Canned fish - this can take some experimentation to find a nice one, but (apart from tuna) these are often very healthy, low toxin fish like sardines and mackerel and herring (smoked and not), and they're cooked already at the point of catch, so they can go right into a salad or dip. They sometimes come in nice sauces as a ready to go appetiser for those who don't need it fancied up a bit. (Which never hurts, frankly.) These also tend to be fish high in healthy fish oils, so they're not for everyone, but they are amazing for your brain.

Thank you for the ideas! Canned small fish like mackerel and sardine, as well as canned bivalves, are repellant to me--I've tried. They have the strongest possible fish smell and taste. The only thing I like is canned smoked mussels, and I cannot find them in germany. I had some smoked fish which was disgusting, but I'll try other brands because I also had some that was nice. I might also break the 'no seed oils' rule to have some horsradish paste with it. Stews with short poaching sound worth trying, and I might think about ceviche--though I'll have to do some work on the thoughts surrounding it (raw! raw fish! fish!). I don't mind prawns, scallops, or calamari, but I can only buy frozen prawns around here. And when I cook them myself they taste like pond water, even with loads of butter, garlic, and lemon. Not sure why. I'm thinking about buying some pre cooked prawns from the fridge section of the shop. Is that too gross?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Canned small fish like mackerel and sardine, as well as canned bivalves, are repellant to me--I've tried. They have the strongest possible fish smell and taste.

I like fish, and I too have issues with most canned fish. But I periodically try, for omega 3 reasons. I've found that part of the equation is finding a brand that doesn't suck, and the other part is learning to not treat them like fresh fish. I need to think of them like a (probably vaguely Scandi, occasionally Mediterranean) variation on canned tuna. Canned tuna is, unlike fresh tuna, inedible on its own, but not bad in a tuna salad. So they're an unprepared ingredient that doesn't work alone, but needs to go into some kind of fish salad with the correct flavors. They need things like fresh diced onions and celery, some gherkins, mustard, something creamy. Or whatever sort of Spanish  flavors I can put together, also as fresh as possible.

But not as good as fresh fish, on the whole, unless you find something you like, in which case it's reliable but unlikely to be amazing.

I might also break the 'no seed oils' rule to have some horsradish paste with it.

Go for it. "No seed oils" is not a keto rule. Not a bad rule of thumb, but nobody is making you, and an 80/20 rule is surely good enough.

Stews with short poaching sound worth trying,

Check out what I added on curries there.

I might think about ceviche--though I'll have to do some work on the thoughts surrounding it (raw! raw fish! fish!)

Sushi is also raw fish. Ceviche is subtly more cooked than that. (And more keto friendly than sushi.)

I can only buy frozen prawns around here. And when I cook them myself they taste like pond water, even with loads of butter, garlic, and lemon. Not sure why. I'm thinking about buying some pre cooked prawns from the fridge section of the shop. Is that too gross?

The best of all worlds is cooked frozen. Cooked fresh is probably fine, because they were probably frozen before hitting the shop.

When you buy frozen, are they uncooked? And if so, are you de-veining them before cooking them? (I try to always buy cooked, because I'm lazy about preparing fresh. De-veining is a lot of work if it isn't done for you. It mostly is with frozen in the US, but no guarantee.)

In general, "cooked plain with butter and lemon" is going to be the hard mode of cooking any fish. It's the classic, and it's simple, but insert a Pratchetty disclaimer here that simple doesn't equal easy, and simple can be very hard indeed. There's absolutely nothing to hide any beginner cooking issues or lack of confidence. It's pure test of the quality of ingredients and preparation. There are many easier fish recipes than that for fish beginners.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

In general, "cooked plain with butter and lemon" is going to be the hard mode of cooking any fish. It's the classic, and it's simple, but insert a Pratchetty disclaimer here that simple doesn't equal easy, and simple can be very hard indeed.

Simple in this case also does not in any way equal sexy. Especially with the average fish that has mild flavor to start with. (As you said, the quality of the fish is critical for success with this method.) When I cooked frozen blocks of cod, the bulk spices in the grocery store were my best friends. I'd buy whatever was on deep sale and didn't smell hideous, and then coat the cod filets with a layer of the spice before pan frying it. I remember curry blends and Mediterranean herbal blends work well for this.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:02 AM, Harriet said:

Thank you!

Disney Screaming GIF by The Good Dinosaur

On 1/15/2022 at 9:02 AM, Harriet said:

(But I honestly do feel a heck of a lot better at 66 than at 75. It's a huge improvement).

That is reasonable - it's fine to want our bodies to change and to appreciate when they do. It's when that desire is accompanied by hatred of our current selves, and when the change is never good enough for X (where X = happiness, worthiness, etc.) that it becomes problematic. But I'm sure you already know that! 

I'm glad the squats went well :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

When you buy frozen, are they uncooked? And if so, are you de-veining them before cooking them? (I try to always buy cooked, because I'm lazy about preparing fresh. De-veining is a lot of work if it isn't done for you. It mostly is with frozen in the US, but no guarantee.)

Yeah, they're raw but prepped. You can get cooked frozen prawns? Hmmm.

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

In general, "cooked plain with butter and lemon" is going to be the hard mode of cooking any fish. It's the classic, and it's simple, but insert a Pratchetty disclaimer here that simple doesn't equal easy, and simple can be very hard indeed. There's absolutely nothing to hide any beginner cooking issues or lack of confidence. It's pure test of the quality of ingredients and preparation. There are many easier fish recipes than that for fish beginners.

Ah, I hadn't consider this. More sauces! Garnishes! Sides! Spices!

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

That is reasonable - it's fine to want our bodies to change and to appreciate when they do. It's when that desire is accompanied by hatred of our current selves, and when the change is never good enough for X (where X = happiness, worthiness, etc.) that it becomes problematic. But I'm sure you already know that! 

It's good to be reminded 😊

• Like 1

Sunday

Meditated. They're getting longer--forty five minutes total (thirty minutes actual meditation time plus the introduction and wind down) and my orange cat joins me for each one, sitting on my lap.

Today I went to a cooking course that my brother gifted me for my birthday (which was a while ago). It was allegedly low carb, but we made and ate a prawn salad with avocado and some kind of delicious dressing, summer rolls with mango, chicken, and another amazing sauce, flambéed salmon, roast beef with a pumpkin and nutmeg mash and a cauliflower and avocado mash, a small flourless chocolate cake, banana ice cream, and a weird little bar made of dates and other things, with a sweet matcha tea and avocado and lemon mousse. I didn't work on all the dishes so I unfortunately don't know how the sauces were made, but I think he'll send us the recipes by email. And I learned how to efficiently cut the fascia off beef. It was four hours, and half an hour for me to walk each way. So five hours out, and now I am extremely tired. No energy for weekly reflection. Will do tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 4

That class sounds lovely! Impressive time spent in meditation too ❤️

• Like 1
14 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

what a great present to get. have a good rest and see you tomorrow! ❤️

Thank you ❤️ I am rested and gosh what horrid weather though! 

12 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

That class sounds lovely! Impressive time spent in meditation too ❤️

Thirty minutes is a bit challenging. I wouldn't mind going back to fifteen but I'm determined to do the whole course as intended.

• Like 1

Monday

Meditated, got groceries, and wrote. Now chilling. In good spirits.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Tuesday

Slept poorly but still decided to lift. Meditated, lifted, wrote, picked up sushi for dinner.

I am happy and chill today. A man approached me at the gym to give me advice (yes, again. Perhaps my fault for leaving my hair unbound--it is undoubtedly eyecatching. I just wanted to be Alan Thrall today. Or maybe Thorin). I thanked him and went back to my phone. The sushi place got my order wrong (or rather, Mr Harriet did. I wanted TWO salmon tuna sashimi plates. Yes, two. Like a monster that eats exactly twice as much as is decent and normal). I realised only after I'd picked it up, but I went back in and asked for another. Usually I would have been far too anxious and embarrassed but not any more. All is well.

Take care, my precious wombat babies ❤️

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2