Whisper reengages

Whisper

Hi friends,

I haven't been around much recently and a lot of personal progress has backslid. I don't know if I do better when I'm engaged here, or if I'm engaged here when I'm doing better, but there is most certainty a correlation, and I want to start making progress again, so I'm going to be here.

Starting off with three simple daily goals.

1: Engage with the forums.

2:  Brush teeth before bed

3: Eat a salad  every day.

• Like 10

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

Just saw the survey and am filling it out now...

What would you like to see changed?
Please be constructive here.

I miss the way guilds were separated before. I know you can sort by tag, but it really isn't the same. "I miss having a smaller space for my challenges that felt like a small group of friends, I feel overwhelmed with this format" kind of sums it up perfectly. I've been less engaged since the change.

Hadn't really thought about it recently, but that change did mark a big drop off for me, and I wonder how many other people feel the same. I was originally on the Academy forum, and it felt a lot like when they ended that and moved it all to Facebook. Not as bad as that, but still felt like a loss of community.

• Like 5

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Whisper said:

Just saw the survey and am filling it out now...

What would you like to see changed?
Please be constructive here.

I miss the way guilds were separated before. I know you can sort by tag, but it really isn't the same. "I miss having a smaller space for my challenges that felt like a small group of friends, I feel overwhelmed with this format" kind of sums it up perfectly. I've been less engaged since the change.

Hadn't really thought about it recently, but that change did mark a big drop off for me, and I wonder how many other people feel the same. I was originally on the Academy forum, and it felt a lot like when they ended that and moved it all to Facebook. Not as bad as that, but still felt like a loss of community.

Welcome back. I have a similar correlation, so not just you.

I said something similar. so its not just you.  I know its been harder in a couple of ways since the change. We will see what they do from here.

• Like 3

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Welcome back. I have a similar correlation, so not just you.

I said something similar. so its not just you.  I know its been harder in a couple of ways since the change. We will see what they do from here.

Welcome back! Me 3. I'm starting to get accustomed to the change, but it still feels clunky to me. And I forget to add tags, or someone I'm trying to follow didn't tag and now I have to literally SEARCH to keep up with their threads....

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

here for this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hey Whisper! 

At first I was iffy about the change but I don’t really mind it. I’ve got to meet a bunch of people I wouldn’t normally which is nice 😊 it can be annoying to search for people you want to follow but usually one I find them I’m fine as long as they keep quoting me in their threads. 

Same here. I got used to it pretty fast and I got to meet other people I probably wouldn't have before the change. 

Love the goals, Whisper, and welcome back. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone!

Off to a good start so far. Need to buy new salad as the stuff I had was turning nasty. Almost forgot about eating it at all, but remembered after dinner so made a quick bowl. Going to try and have salad while getting main part of supper ready.

Engaging here. Brushing teeth next before heading off to bed.

• Like 4

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Very good idea! It will minimize random other  snacking while cooking. Can you pre-cut some things so it’s easier to put your salad together? 

Going with a simple salad kit right now, sprinkle on some almonds and dressing and call it good.

• Like 4

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

So we're playing our favorite game again! 

At ER with M. She's in no where near as bad of shape as she has been our last few times here (August and November she got admitted) but displaying some similar symptoms to before the last few times we did this.
She had a virtual nurse appointment this afternoon and was told to go to the ER to get some labs done rapidly.

So now we're here, waiting. I don't think I'm going to be getting fresh salad today after all. But I engaged! And there's no reason not to brush my teeth when I finally get home.

• Like 4

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

Her kidney function is good. Huge relief. Not sure why she's sleeping so much, but at least it isn't her kidneys taking another dive.

They're working on getting us out of here.

• Like 5

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

So no salad on Wednesday with the whole ER thing. Didn't brush when I got home, ate popcorn in bed instead. Oh well.

Thursday morning, I remembered that I had agreed to help with a funeral that evening and ended up not having any time after work. Did engage some with NF during my break, so that counts, and I had a sandwich from Jimmy Johns, and I figure lettuce, onion and cucumber is close enough to count for the salad. Skipped brushing again.

A thing I am struggling to balance right now is pushing myself to do better, and being gentle with myself. Lots of things fell apart again and I know I can do better! I was getting Meal Kits delivered for a while, but it was too expensive, and I couldn't motivate myself to cook them often. Tried doing it more on my own, but things just kept back sliding. For the last month or so, I've been eating frozen dinners at work, and cold cereal or Mac and Cheese with chicken strips at home. Or fast food.  I'm trying to balance the fact that evidence shows that I'm not going to do that much prep work (if any) with needing to eat at least a bit healthier, with feeling guilty about buying fruit cups and pre sliced apples. 

But, the whole apples aren't getting eaten, and the sliced apples are. And it is better for me to eat apples than not. So for now, I'm trying to be ok with being a lazy fuck that can't be bothered to cut up apples, and just buy the stuff that will get eaten. So for now, still getting mac and cheese, but also sliced apples and fruit cups and salad kits.  And maybe if I eat the salad first, I won't eat the whole box. 

Off work today and Monday.  I should clean my house and do all the things while I have time. I'm not going to. I'm going to try and spend at least part of every day being productive, but all the things aren't going to get done. Went to the grocery store. I have more salad. I'm eating a salad. I'm connecting with people trying to be healthier in their own lives. I'm really really planning to brush my teeth before bed tonight. 

• Like 4

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Glad to hear that M's Kidneys are doing okay. Hopefully she feels better soon

They're a chronic issue, big goal is to keep things from getting bad enough that she need dialysis.

• Like 1

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Whisper said:

with feeling guilty about buying fruit cups and pre sliced apples.

Hey, no guilt. Fruit cups and pre-sliced apples totally count. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If pre-sliced\prepped gets you eating veggies on your budget - totally do that. I'm doing a bit better prepping my own veggies - and Every Plate is a pretty inexpensive meal kit service if you want to fill in on occasion or every couple of weeks to shake things up.

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

My mother commented on one of my church's services on YouTube, and I am really not ok right now.

Sent email to the person that runs the account: While the comment itself might seem small and innocuous, it is an unwelcome intrusion from a toxic individual that is well aware of my desire not to be in contact with them. If at all possible, please delete the comment and block that individual from commenting in the future. 

• Sad 5

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

On 12/31/2021 at 6:32 PM, Whisper said:

But, the whole apples aren't getting eaten, and the sliced apples are. And it is better for me to eat apples than not. So for now, I'm trying to be ok with being a lazy fuck that can't be bothered to cut up apples, and just buy the stuff that will get eaten. So for now, still getting mac and cheese, but also sliced apples and fruit cups and salad kits.  And maybe if I eat the salad first, I won't eat the whole box. 

Nothing wrong with buying pre-prepped food. If however the guilt does not go away could I maybe interest you in a compromise? 

image.png.b0767dfaa2e5c21404a284bf265beaff.png

These things are awesome and so easy to use. Sliced apples boom. I think they are relatively cheap and you could probably get one at Walmart or a dollar store. I don't even wash mine.. I just rinse it as soon as I am done using it and throw it in the drying rack. 

• Like 6

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? A nutritionist I saw and two different students she had with her all went nuts over it and said their frozen and prepared foods are a great choice, at least in the space between "everything from scratch" and "shitty frozen food and McDonald's". I haven't gone because the nearest one to me is an absolute pain in the ass to get to, but it could be worth checking out?

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

15 hours ago, fleaball said:

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? A nutritionist I saw and two different students she had with her all went nuts over it and said their frozen and prepared foods are a great choice, at least in the space between "everything from scratch" and "shitty frozen food and McDonald's". I haven't gone because the nearest one to me is an absolute pain in the ass to get to, but it could be worth checking out?

I second Trader Joe's frozen meals. They are delish and typically MUCH better for you than the "big name" ones in the grocery. If you don't - Annie's Organic are generally pretty good and available at most grocery stores.

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler