Alanna Rings in the New Year

Wow 500! That's a lot. I'm sometimes surprised how high my TDEE can get, somehow in my head is the false info that women only need 1200 calories and when I repeatedly see I burn 2500 - 3000 a day with exercise (and that is not even much compared with women who lift and train hard).. wow. 

My current plan was made by my boyfriend, he made a long one (1 h 15 m) and a short one (1 h) 🤣 I do trust his expertise and thoughtfulness but of course he's no professional. I haven't done it in a while and it's a split, with 2x legs, push and pull, all done within one week. I never did the other leg exercises (there are 2 different for each leg day a week). The ones I did: 

Legs

image.png.f6c76a8ad3a6b9d1f8cba9975182305b.png

Pull

image.png.f8a32565cfcbf2888255705d6f0cdae8.png

Push

image.png.2d783cfb0e2972dab2d1533000afe0f0.png

I adjusted the weights on the go but did never enter them into the Excel since I never did this "programme" longer than for 5 weeks and could always memorize the weight without anything (I know, it's not perfect that way, I should write it down, used to do it in another life but last year I did not) 
The long workout he made me seemed good (effective, I did this in 2020 and noticed improvements quickly), the short one I can not tell, seems reasonable to me but if anything sticks out to you, feel free to point it out (besides it being a split which might not be best for a beginner)

• Like 1

What if he did, what if he didn't, what if the world was made of pudding?

*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-+-*-+=+-+-*-+

Current challenge 🐎

4 hours ago, Pyralis said:

My current plan was made by my boyfriend, he made a long one (1 h 15 m) and a short one (1 h) 🤣 I do trust his expertise and thoughtfulness but of course he's no professional.

Well neither am I, so I don't have any extra qualifications compared to your boyfriend 😆. This isn't a bash-your-boyfriend's-programme exercise, either - I can point out some pros/cons depending on your goals.

My current plan was made by my boyfriend, he made a long one (1 h 15 m) and a short one (1 h) 🤣 I do trust his expertise and thoughtfulness but of course he's no professional. I haven't done it in a while and it's a split, with 2x legs, push and pull, all done within one week. I never did the other leg exercises (there are 2 different for each leg day a week).

The biggest things that stand out to me are 1) it's geared towards hypertrophy, rather than strength, 2) you have very low frequency for all of your upper body movements due to the upper/lower and then further push/pull split, and 3) you could streamline it in terms of exercise choices if your main goal is to get strong and have targeted lifting sessions (e.g., so you can focus on biking too). You should still build muscle from this programme (although I'd still like higher upper body frequency) and get stronger if you can add weight to your exercises.  From your previous posts it sounds like a noticeable progression (in strength, presumably?) and hitting goals like a pull-up are some of your aims for strength training, in which we could optimise your plan.

More specific comments:

•  Except for your top deadlift sets and pull-ups, most of your exercises are higher reps and therefore focused on hypertrophy. It's going to be harder to add weight from week-to-week simply because 1) it's harder to consistently add weight at high reps and 2) you're not training that muscle to exert force.
  • I recommend at least 2x/week (or every other session if you lift 3x/week) for your important upper body movements. Progressing with push-ups and pull-ups when only training them once a week - and further, only getting any push and pull exercises once a week - will be difficult.
  • There are a lot of isolation exercises that you could strip away as a beginner if your primary focus is strength and you want the biggest payoff for your time investment. Some of these exercises are very helpful accessories and they are good for adding volume if hypertrophy is your goal, but they are probably not necessary at this stage unless you're trying to fix a particular issue. Some of the isolation exercises might be good for warm-ups/muscle activation exercises at light, non-fatiguing weights (e.g., I did lateral walks with a band around my ankles to get my glutes firing before squats).
  • There are lots of variations of similar compound exercises that you could also probably strip away - e.g., you could just do barbell squats instead three different squat variations (until you get to the point where you need squat accessories). Is there a particular reason you're using a safety bar for squats? I don't have as much of an issue with the Romanian deadlifts, though, as they are a nice way to get a lighter deadlift day while still training some important form aspects of conventional deadlifts. I'd also recommend putting squats before Romanian deadlifts, as fatiguing your back before heavy squats will eventually be problematic (although possibly less so for safety bar squats). 
  • If you want to keep the same exercises, I would put your compound movements first - so pull ups before face pulls, for example. Otherwise you're going to fatigue a subset of your back muscles before pull-ups, and those muscles may then be the limiting factor for your pull-ups.
  • If you start training for strength, don't be afraid of longer rests (e.g., 3-5 minutes) for your main lifts once things get heavy. Short rests are good for accessories. 

All those technical points aside, however, the most important things about a programme are 1) if you'll stick with it and 2) if it is getting you closer to your goals. What do you like about this programme? What's been getting in the way of sticking with it long term?

For comparison, one version of Strong Lifts is basically

• Workout A: squat, bench press, barbell row
  • Workout B: squat, overhead press, deadlift

for sets of 5 and 3 workouts a week (alternating A and B). You could probably replace barbell rows with chin-ups or pull-ups if you wanted to focus on a bodyweight upper body pull exercise instead. 

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

I've updated the list of programmes on the previous page because I'd merged 5/3/1 and Juggernaut Method in my mind. Those now have links, too. I also split the intermediate section into two parts.

Week 2, Thursday

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️◻️ [Ranna/Mosrael - routine]

🔔🔔🔔◻️🔔◻️◻️ [Kibeth - GMB Elements]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️◻️ [Dyrim - posting]

◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Belgaer - fitness goals and programming]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️◻️ [Saraneth - no sugar]

I suspect I was low on calories yesterday and that that impacted my sleep - I got the wired and tired feeling (+ more hunger than usual at night and the next morning) that I associate with a deficit. I will probably want to track calories for a bit to recalibrate, but that's a task for later. My protein powder arrived, though, so at least I have an extra way to get easy protein!

Since I wasn't 100% today, I did a shorter version of Elements. It focused on Crab (introducing lateral walks and practicing forward and back) and transitions between Frogger and Crab, all of which were fun - I think Crab is my favourite so far now that I'm getting the hang of it! I think I'm getting better at pushing myself away from the ground in this position, and it feels a lot more stable than the first time I tried it.

• Like 6

Supple Lioness Mobility

Trying to catch up and got a bit lost in all the Warrior jargon, but I see lots of bells!  Keep up the good work!!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I'm not surprised about your estimation.

This isn't a bash-your-boyfriend's-programme exercise, either

Yes, exactly, I already had some backlash for him and we also had a talk yesterday again with me telling him that my goals and what I need might be different from what some buff dude needs, and his (my bfs) goal is packing on muscle mostly, of course he wants to be stronger but more muscle mass is his focus. While I on the other hand am more interested in getting strong quickly and while of course I do appreciate a nice physique - doesn't it come with that anyway? But it's usually all good-natured and a discussion, we never argue in a heated manner and I appreciate his advice and help, even if I do not always agree. I do not want to trash his ways, but our goal (and gender) does differ and needs to be accomodated for. 

The number of isolation exercises I already argued down. Some of them I appreciate, others I even forget all the time what they are 🤣 Before every workout I have to google some of them. 

The squats - I did ask the same (why do I have to do so many different kinds) and I think his explanation was my struggle with squats. I'm rather tall and struggle with back squats. We didn't agree if you have to stay as upright with the upper body as possible or if it is okay for a taller person to fold like a swiss army knife. I've even read articles on this topic alone. I simply can not stay upright during squats, a bit more during front than backsquats, and so I think he just incorporated a variety of squats into my routine to practice form and different kinds of squats. The band assisted squats for example are where I can lean back more because the band helps. I do like them to be honest, but I never take them that seriously as an exercise to actually get stronger, same as with the facepulls, they're also not even hard, so far I've seen them as at least addressing some muscles I'd usually not address, kinda like stretches, as compensation for sitting a lot of the day.
The safety squats are misnamed, should have mentioned that - they are actually assisted back squats with a chair. Which feels like cheating to me. I would get more out of it if I did "real" squats, but with the chair assisted squats I could use more weight. Have to admit I got a bit lazy here and then only ever did the chair assisted squats.

I just googled the Bulgarian Split Squats and can say I never did those, I also never do lunges, I can never get my knees right during them and always somehow hurt them.  Do you think lunges can be skipped altogether? I do appreciate them for balance and ankle stability, but feel half moons (and variations) could do the same.

the most important things about a programme are 1) if you'll stick with it and 2) if it is getting you closer to your goals. What do you like about this programme? What's been getting in the way of sticking with it long term?

Fun fact, usually my workout would look like this: 10-20 minutes airbike, or 30 minutes Box VR or Beat Saber, for warm-up, then doing what seemed reasonable, which translated into bench presses, sometimes overhead presses, deadlifts, pull ups with rings (the horizontal ones), sometimes glute bridges, push ups, squats. Never tracked, just done. The exercises I know and deem important. This is what I would stick to. Without it being very official. Just do it. Don't write anything down, no plan. 

It's not perfect, but it got done. I think I will need to borrow from this approach. Not gonna say I ditch a plan but it needs to be within certain boundaries, more like your approach with a lot less of the isolation exercises which also pull a programme to lengths I am currently not willing to go through. Usually after the Box VR I think I'll quickly do xyz, and then it takes 30-45 minutes, but if I have this workout plan where I know this is going to be an hour, I "ugh" myself out of the responsibility.

I did not yet compare the programmes you listed but  I will do so today. I got more about the last point, weight, but I'll put it in my thread, think it belongs there, I put enough here already. Thanks again for all your input! Much appreciated!

• Like 1

What if he did, what if he didn't, what if the world was made of pudding?

*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-+-*-+=+-+-*-+

Current challenge 🐎

8 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Trying to catch up and got a bit lost in all the Warrior jargon, but I see lots of bells!  Keep up the good work!!!

Yes my challenge thread has gotten a bit technical - feel free to skip over all of that 😆. Thank you!!

We didn't agree if you have to stay as upright with the upper body as possible or if it is okay for a taller person to fold like a swiss army knife. I've even read articles on this topic alone

Could be a body type difference, could be a mobility issue. You might also find low bar squats more comfortable.

I just googled the Bulgarian Split Squats and can say I never did those, I also never do lunges, I can never get my knees right during them and always somehow hurt them.  Do you think lunges can be skipped altogether? I do appreciate them for balance and ankle stability, but feel half moons (and variations) could do the same

Bulgarian split squats are a very useful bodyweight exercise - I'll probably use them for my pistol squat cycle - but you don't need them. I wouldn't say any single exercise is essential, either. Unilateral exercises like lunges can be useful for improving stability and any left/right imbalances, but you don't have to do them. I'd address what's causing the injuries if you do keep them, and I'd also make sure that you don't get injured doing similar exercises for the same reason (whatever it is).

Fun fact, usually my workout would look like this: 10-20 minutes airbike, or 30 minutes Box VR or Beat Saber, for warm-up, then doing what seemed reasonable, which translated into bench presses, sometimes overhead presses, deadlifts, pull ups with rings (the horizontal ones), sometimes glute bridges, push ups, squats. Never tracked, just done. The exercises I know and deem important. This is what I would stick to. Without it being very official. Just do it. Don't write anything down, no plan. 

Your not-a-plan plan defaulted towards a great variety of compound exercises that are probably more suitable for a beginner strength trainer. You could also easily transform this into a programme with linear progression.

*If* strength is your goal, I'd recommend putting the cardio after the lifting. If you have a bike performance goal, though, you might not want to fatigue your legs with squats first!

Not gonna say I ditch a plan but it needs to be within certain boundaries

It is fine to change (or ditch) a plan that isn't suitable for your goals and that your aren't enjoying :). The nice thing about compound exercises is that you can get a lot done in half an hour, which sounds like it would be ideal for you.

I also want to say that you don't have to strength train in this way if you don't like it - you seem a bit torn between liking deadlifts/pull ups and not enjoying this type of training. I would be curious if you like deadlifts more if you are progressing regularly and not doing sets of eight or more reps, but it's not something you have to test. You could also do yoga, or climbing, or kettlebells, or circuits, or any number of different activities that still build muscle if that is your goal. They won't all have equivalent physique results, but it might not be worth spending 100+ hrs a year doing something you don't like in order to get your "optimal" result. 

• Like 2

Supple Lioness Mobility

Great job with the week so far!

the programming discussion is a bit over my head but I really liked this advice/thought exercise:

17 hours ago, Alanna said:

All those technical points aside, however, the most important things about a programme are 1) if you'll stick with it and 2) if it is getting you closer to your goals. What do you like about this programme? What's been getting in the way of sticking with it long term?

Definitely applicable to many types of training programs and a good way to approach goal check ins

• Like 1

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

1 hour ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Definitely applicable to many types of training programs and a good way to approach goal check ins

Definitely - you could pay for an awesome, personalised programme from a great powerlifting coach, but if you hated deadlifts and stopped after 3 weeks, what's the point?That's not to say that all training will be enjoyable, and sometimes you need to stick with a new activity for a bit before it becomes comfortable and fun. But if the "perfect" programme for your goals isn't something maintainable, then it's best to find a different path even if it's longer or has a different destination.

I'm glad the broad strokes of the discussion have been helpful! The autoregulation and periodisation concepts apply to most, if not all, types of training as well. Last year my husband was looking into how to use RPE for cycling. 

• Like 3

Supple Lioness Mobility

19 hours ago, Alanna said:

I suspect I was low on calories yesterday and that that impacted my sleep - I got the wired and tired feeling (+ more hunger than usual at night and the next morning) that I associate with a deficit.

Excellent observation and data collection.

Also, I am now imagining you walking like a crab. This image pleases me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent observation and data collection.

Thank you - more quantitative data would probably help, but this is good enough for now.

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Also, I am now imagining you walking like a crab. This image pleases me.

Well in that case...

Spoiler

(not quite crab, but the movement reminds me of this act 😆)

Week 2, Friday

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️ [Ranna/Mosrael - routine]

🔔🔔🔔◻️🔔🔔◻️ [Kibeth - GMB Elements]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️ [Dyrim - posting]

◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️🔔◻️ [Belgaer - fitness goals and programming]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔◻️ [Saraneth - no sugar]

Elements was a fun Bear variation called Twisting Bear, plus some A-frame to squat and additional Monkey/Bear time. ( @Emissary2Ornj - A-frame to squat started in A-frame and they showed walking hands back and forth between the positions, not feet - so moving your hands is definitely an acceptable version.) I filmed some of my Twisting Bear practice, too.

I'm struggling to focus today because we're going to a 2nd viewing of a house tomorrow that we may be able to buy privately (i.e., without an agent). We're probably making an offer tomorrow, so I really hope the negotiations go well. 

@Harriet since you asked about Belgaer, here is The Plan (broad strokes, subject to change) for 2022:

Spoiler

Now - end of February: Elements

March- April: pistol squats and some upper body strength (probably inverted rows and push-ups)

Add back rollerblading when weather starts clearing up, starting with short sessions (e.g., 15-20 minutes 2x/week)

May-July-ish: ring work (maintaining squat progress), working on/towards

• Ring pull ups
  • False-grip ring rows
  • Ring push-ups
  • Support holds 
  • Maybe dips towards the end
  • Last 4-6 weeks of cycle: start working on muscle up prep/skills

August- September: another pistol squat cycle, maintaining rings progress

October/November: Re-focus on muscle up skills and strength prereqs if I have a place to hang rings during the winter (hopefully we will have a house by then, and one of the first things I'm doing is installing my rings somewhere)

Other skills to consider working into the later half of the year:

L-sit

Handstands

???

Keep Elements locomotion movements as play throughout

I'm also making some more specific programming plans for my pistol squat cycle. I'm realising that shorter workouts 4+ times a week are working really well for me, so I'm going to make a whole body and upper/lower split variations so I have the option to divide up a workout over multiple days - e.g., 

Spoiler

Sunday - rest

Monday - whole body

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - lower body

Thursday - upper body

Friday - rest

Saturday - whole body

But if I need to compress my training, I can also just do the whole body session 3x/week. This flexibility should help me adapt to some of the uncertainty around house searching + give me space to eventually integrate rollerblading. 

For the practice parts of my work outs - in addition to the pistol squat work, I'd like to do some exercise for improving my inverted bodyweight rows, which I've always struggled to progress with, even when I could do pull-ups/chin-ups. I'd love to get to the point where I could do a horizontal one with my feet elevated, like

elevated-feet-row.gif

I've often struggled with that last part of the rep when the exercise gets more difficult (e.g., an angle where I can't do 8+ reps) and with progressing by just gradually changing the angle of the row. I'm wondering if I can work on it with negatives and holds at the top, along with some supplemental back exercises like these: https://gmb.io/bodyweight-back-exercises/ Suggestions are welcome! I'm looking around now, and I've also seen the suggestion to add a "pulse" at the top (go a couple inches down, then back to the top position). I feel like there are tons of guides for getting your first pull-up, but none really for getting your first parallel inverted row. While the movements have some overlap, my pull-up strength didn't fully translate to rows, and I wonder if there are some row specific exercises I could work on.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

( @Emissary2Ornj - A-frame to squat started in A-frame and they showed walking hands back and forth between the positions, not feet - so moving your hands is definitely an acceptable version.)

Excellent! They felt good both ways this morning.

Re: inverted bodyweight rows- I never tried to beyond feet on the ground back when I was doing them (8-9 yrs ago). I went directly to band-assisted pull ups (or chin ups, don't remember which.) They were some of my favorite movements, though. I wonder... if you're lifting, would Pendlay rows translate? I don't know that you could recreate the weight (different body position - straight vs bent and face up vs face down are the most obvious differences I see), but would the muscle activation be similar? (I came across Pendlays one day, thought they looked really powerful, and that's the extent of my knowledge of whether they're a "good" exercise or not. So take that for whatever it's worth. :-P)

• Like 1

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

26 minutes ago, Emissary2Ornj said:

Re: inverted bodyweight rows- I never tried to beyond feet on the ground back when I was doing them (8-9 yrs ago). I went directly to band-assisted pull ups (or chin ups, don't remember which.) They were some of my favorite movements, though. I wonder... if you're lifting, would Pendlay rows translate? I don't know that you could recreate the weight (different body position - straight vs bent and face up vs face down are the most obvious differences I see), but would the muscle activation be similar? (I came across Pendlays one day, thought they looked really powerful, and that's the extent of my knowledge of whether they're a "good" exercise or not. So take that for whatever it's worth. :-P)

I bet Pendlay rows (or some other sort of barbell row) would translate very well! I do not have access to heavy weights right now, though (just about 40 kg of dumbbells). As a side note, I also found barbell rows challenging when I did them as a beginner. Maybe I could try bilateral DB rows.

• Like 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

Well in that case...

Hide contents

(not quite crab, but the movement reminds me of this act 😆)

Argghhhhhhhh pretty sure I developed arachnophobia from watching this.

I'm struggling to focus today because we're going to a 2nd viewing of a house tomorrow that we may be able to buy privately (i.e., without an agent). We're probably making an offer tomorrow, so I really hope the negotiations go well. 

Ooh, exciting!

@Harriet since you asked about Belgaer, here is The Plan (broad strokes, subject to change) for 2022:

That looks like a great and very fun programme! I love that there is summer rollerblading. Is this similar to what you've done in past years? Is it good for maintaining and gaining strength?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

20 hours ago, Alanna said:

Elements was a fun Bear variation called Twisting Bear, plus some A-frame to squat and additional Monkey/Bear time. ( @Emissary2Ornj - A-frame to squat started in A-frame and they showed walking hands back and forth between the positions, not feet - so moving your hands is definitely an acceptable version.) I filmed some of my Twisting Bear practice, too.

Twisting Bear is a particular favorite of mine :D 

Ahhh, yay!!!!  Best of luck with the house negotiations! 

I feel like there are tons of guides for getting your first pull-up, but none really for getting your first parallel inverted row. While the movements have some overlap, my pull-up strength didn't fully translate to rows, and I wonder if there are some row specific exercises I could work on.

Funny - not "ha-ha" but "huh" - my inverted row strength has not yet done me a lick of good in progressing towards pull-ups. Back strength seems to be much more complicated than I initially supposed. 

• Like 1

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ooh, exciting!

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Cool, I hope it goes well :).

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

Ahhh, yay!!!!  Best of luck with the house negotiations! 

We got an offer accepted!!!

My current state:

How I Met Your Mother Wow GIF

We got really lucky and they wanted the house to go to a couple who would value it and live in it, not someone who would treat it as an investment. There's a lot of paperwork ahead of us before it's a done deal - for those unfamiliar with England's system, anyone can walk away from the deal at any point with no repercussions until the contracts are exchanged, which is the very last step - but we and the sellers are really committed to the exchange so fingers crossed we have our own home by spring/summer.

Also, it has a small attached garage with a fairly high ceiling, so hopefully I will be asking for advice on how to hang my rings very soon :D 

Argghhhhhhhh pretty sure I developed arachnophobia from watching this.

Haha sorry - apparently he did go on to star in a horror film 😅

That looks like a great and very fun programme! I love that there is summer rollerblading. Is this similar to what you've done in past years? Is it good for maintaining and gaining strength?

Rollerblading is fairly new - I got them last year as a reward for finishing my thesis. I got about six weeks of practice in before life craziness with the house search and then the weather got in the way. Not sure how they are for strength maintenance since I wasn't training regularly at that time, but the stance (bent knees) + the instability made my quads and hamstrings SUPER swole after just a few weeks. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Maybe I can combine my practices and  do a pistol squat on roller blades 😅.

03bedb54dc3fd1c10a8ff5933dbc1397.jpg

(but with a different type of skate. And with a helmet.)

As for the rest of the programme - this would be my first time working on specific bodyweight skills and having a programme instead of playing around/doing short stretches of linear progressions, so I'm excited to see how it goes!

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

Funny - not "ha-ha" but "huh" - my inverted row strength has not yet done me a lick of good in progressing towards pull-ups. Back strength seems to be much more complicated than I initially supposed. 

Interesting to hear you've had a similar experience with a lack of transfer! Angles seem to make a big difference. I guess OHP and bench press have some overlap, but not a ton, too. 

While I'm here...

Week 2 Recap

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔 [Ranna/Mosrael - routine]

🔔🔔🔔◻️🔔🔔◻️ [Kibeth - GMB Elements]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔 [Dyrim - posting]

◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️🔔◻️ [Belgaer - fitness goals and programming]

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔 [Saraneth - no sugar]

All goals met, and even snuck in an extra GMB workout this time. Got in a good walk today for the house viewing as well!

The routine is going to be a little trickier moving forward, as there is some work I HAVE to get done in the next few weeks. I guess I need to start waking up earlier 😅.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

My current state:

How I Met Your Mother Wow GIF

We got really lucky and they wanted the house to go to a couple who would value it and live in it, not someone who would treat it as an investment. There's a lot of paperwork ahead of us before it's a done deal - for those unfamiliar with England's system, anyone can walk away from the deal at any point with no repercussions until the contracts are exchanged, which is the very last step - but we and the sellers are really committed to the exchange so fingers crossed we have our own home by spring/summer.

Also, it has a small attached garage with a fairly high ceiling, so hopefully I will be asking for advice on how to hang my rings very soon :D 

This is fantastic news! I will withhold full congratulations until you post from your new home, just to avoid jinxing anything... but congratulations on finding a seller who wants to sell to you! :)

In addition to a helmet, I strongly recommend knee pads and elbow pads for roller blading, especially if you plan to pistol squat on them. Because flipping and landing hard on an elbow fucking HURTS. 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

17 hours ago, Waanie said:

Congratulations 🎉🏡.

15 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Happy Mood GIF by HBO Max

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is fantastic news! I will withhold full congratulations until you post from your new home, just to avoid jinxing anything... but congratulations on finding a seller who wants to sell to you! :)

Thank you! And yes, no jinxing at this point please 😅

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

In addition to a helmet, I strongly recommend knee pads and elbow pads for roller blading, especially if you plan to pistol squat on them. Because flipping and landing hard on an elbow fucking HURTS. 

I have some of the thickest ones you can get! And wrist guards. I've also practiced falling with them so they are all scuffed up and look like I've been skating longer than I have 😆. I would also be surprised if I did any single-leg moves this year (beyond drills for learning that skill/balance), but maybe I'll surprise myself. 

That sounds like you know that from personal experience! Did you used to do a lot of skating of some sort?

Supple Lioness Mobility

CONGRATULATIONS!  SO EXCITING!!

Great job on your goals this week!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I'm jumping back into this forum after 3.5 years away (was regular from 2016-2017) and wanted to gush about your bells progress and the general idea. I have a Kibeth bell from when I met Garth Nix in 2013 xD I need to read the new book! 
Anyway - keep it up ^_^ 

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

2022 Challenges: 14
Old Four week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

6 hours ago, Alanna said:

That sounds like you know that from personal experience! Did you used to do a lot of skating of some sort?

When I was in junior high, rollerblading was how I traveled around town. Gravel is evil.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

6 hours ago, Novaurora said:

CONGRATULATIONS!  SO EXCITING!!

Great job on your goals this week!

SO EXCITING

nnZfXlz.mp4

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Nina-Rose said:

I'm jumping back into this forum after 3.5 years away (was regular from 2016-2017) and wanted to gush about your bells progress and the general idea. I have a Kibeth bell from when I met Garth Nix in 2013 xD I need to read the new book! 
Anyway - keep it up ^_^ 

Welcome back! I'll go find your challenge :). I was also away from NF for about 3 years - some of which was productive from a fitness perspective, and some of which wasn't 😅

I'm glad you like the theme - that's really cool you have a bell! Kibeth is my favourite (for spoiler-y reasons). I even named my old car Kibeth - I thought "The Walker" was an appropriate title for a transportation device :)

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

When I was in junior high, rollerblading was how I traveled around town. Gravel is evil.

That is really impressive! I would love to use them for commuting eventually when the weather allows - and when I actually have to commute - but the roads here are REALLY rough (like, I think they purposely include more gravel in the mixture, and there are also lots of poorly maintained roads and walking paths that have large cracks). I've found out already that rough surfaces = a lot of jarring = a lot of pain when you're still breaking in your boots 😅.

On to week 3...

Week 3, Sunday

🧟‍♂️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Ranna/Mosrael - routine]

🔔◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Kibeth - GMB Elements]

🔔◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Dyrim - posting]

◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Belgaer - fitness goals and programming]

🔔◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️ [Saraneth - no sugar]

Yep, I've got a Dead creature on my hands. The possibility of getting a house is really exciting but also REALLY stressful, and we spent a lot of the weekend working on figuring out what we need to do next and getting paperwork together. Due to poor planning and not getting to bed at a decent time last night, I didn't get work done during my usual hours. I decided it would be less stressful overall if I checked off a few easy things this evening, after my cut off of 6 pm. I'll try not to make a habit of it, but I'd also rather not leave all the house buying work until the evening, either.

Elements was Frogger and Crab, including the "underswitch" transition that you told me about @Gemma. It's a cool movement but I'll also need some practice! I think the trickiest part for me is the floating table top to Frogger part of it - I think my poor toes are getting squished by that movement.

• Like 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

I decided it would be less stressful overall if I checked off a few easy things this evening, after my cut off of 6 pm. I'll try not to make a habit of it, but I'd also rather not leave all the house buying work until the evening, either.

Not making excuses for you, but flexibility/adaptability to still get the minimum/at least something done counts as a win. It has to, for me.

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

I think the trickiest part for me is the floating table top to Frogger part of it - I think my poor toes are getting squished by that movement.

I saw that movement on the site somewhere; I think the awkward toe thing was mentioned but I don't remember any remedy. To they just "toughen up" over time? I wonder if exercise  No. 4 on this page (rolling up on toes) helps this? Doesn't really go the whole way onto the ends, though...

From a relative noob perspective, way to go on your challenge so far! And YAYYAYYAY for new to you house hopes!!!

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3