Reclaiming the DadBod

I didn't do a wrap up post for week 3. Oops.

See, what happened was... it snowed on Friday night and on Saturday morning, I challenged the whole neighborhood to a snowball fight. After shoveling out my driveway and the lady next to me.

I got 14k steps that day. And burnt close to 5k calories, according to my fitbit. 

For last week, I hit my mileage goal for rides. Hit my sleep goal, actually added an average of +20 minutes per night of sleep. That's probably the biggest win. 

The goal that I'm worried about is the reading one. I read a little of the Raising Good Humans on Sat/Sun but not a lot. It's not as captivating, like most books on Mindfulness. "Be present", yeah, I get it. Really hoping it gets better as I progress.

So far this week, I've not opened the book. I have taken a ride and a bootcamp class, just trying to get my back and hamstrings to not hate me after Saturday's escapades. I'm about 10+ miles in so far and should make the last 20 easily enough.

We're supposed to get more snow this weekend, which... I love/hate at this point. My kid goes bananas. The city shuts down and things get really ugly out here. So, I'm 50/50 on it. 

We'll see how the rest of the week progresses.

• Like 3

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

2 hours ago, This is Seth said:

I challenged the whole neighborhood to a snowball fight. After shoveling out my driveway and the lady next to me.

I got 14k steps that day. And burnt close to 5k calories, according to my fitbit. 

This is awesome! What great motivations to be in shape!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 1/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, This is Seth said:

It's not as captivating, like most books on Mindfulness. "Be present", yeah, I get it. Really hoping it gets better as I progress.

I have the same issue when i read business process books. I've found that I am not really going to learn a lot of new things from said books, but what I look out for is new analogies or metaphors that may resonate with me. It's like strength training: there is no one single cue that works for all lifters, there are several that can work and it's up to you/the coach to find the words that focus/inspire/correct your methods. 

The barbell teaches much wisdom XD 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, This is Seth said:

just trying to get my back and hamstrings to not hate me after Saturday's escapades

Have you tried deadlifts? 9/10 doctors say deadlifts can cure all things. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hey, I finished a challenge!

I kind of went awol there for... a week or so... but, I kept doing my stuffs, mostly.

In the next five weeks, I will:

1. Ride my Peloton for 30 miles a week
    1. That should work out to 3+ rides a week
  2. Finish two books
    1. Die with Zero, by Bill Perkins
    2. Raising Good Humans, Hunter Clarke-Fields
  3. Get 50 hours of sleep a week
    1. Get at least 7 hours a night, that's not asking a lot... but, here we are

Let's check in on how I did comparatively:

1. Ride my Peloton for 30 miles a week.
    1. This went really well! I think I missed one week by about 3 miles, but came in above in every other week. 30 miles seems like the sweet spot too, it allows for a bootcamp class in the mix as long as I hit two other decent 30 minute rides.
  2. Finish two books.
    1. Die with Zero. Done. Finished. Liked some of it. Not all of it. Too pretentious. 
    2. Raising Good Humans. Not done, maybe 1/3 of the way through? Not a light read... and I've not devoted enough time to it.
  3. Get 50 hours of sleep a week.
    1. This was the hardest one. Mainly because on days I would drink, I'd sleep like shit. Seems like a rather obvious fix, right?
    2. I was usually within a standard deviation of 50 by 2-3 hours every week, except for one atrocious week where I mailed it in.

So, first challenge back, not too shabby. I know where to go from here. 
I've enjoyed diving into a few other folk's challenges, though I mainly stuck to the old names that I knew. I feel like I should branch out and find some new(to me) recruits to follow/challenge next time.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...