Nova Tries to Salvage 2022

Novaurora

Hey guys, your favorite ADHD wannabe bard is back in the house. 

giphy.gif

If we haven't met, I'm a married teacher/dog mom who dreams of being an author, and I am also diagnosed with Inattentive type ADHD and anxiety.  Thanks to my mental health challenges, and a late diagnosis (28), I have struggled with general adulting for most of my adult life, including finishing most anything (including challenges, novels, to do lists, etc) and being consistent with just about anything, including taking my meds which does not help the situation in the least bit.   I decided about mid last year that my creative soul needed to be a bard. but according to my therapist (new to me, but specializes in my specific issues), I need to multi-class, so while my creative spirit will remain a proud bard, but I'm going to be trying to gain some monk skills as well.

So goals...

I promised myself that I would create goals in under 10 minutes to keep things from getting too complicated. 

Goal #1: Mental Space

• Show up every day.  Don't quit. Even if it feels like I'm failing and all I do is post a lame meme.
  • Make a list of 3 priorities a day. Specific things you want to get done. If all else fails, get those done

Goal #2: Baby Body Steps

• Practice SLOW eating at least one meal a day. Put the fork down between bites.
  • Have a food journal
  • Workout three times a week.  30 minutes of whatever, as long as it's movement.

Goal #3: Therapy Homework (subject to evolution)

• Mediate x3 a week (2 minutes)/Grounding Activities for anxiety
  • Write things on calendars and to do lists that are out in the open
  • Take. my. fucking. meds. for. fucks. sake.

Anyhoo, I have already started paving the way for some of this, unsure if I was going to come back to NF or not, but ADHD and  intrinsic motivation don't mix, so I tried it my way, but I really want to start fresh and recapture the progress and success I had here in the past.

• I have created a space in my house for lists and other things (if you want to make your own, everything here cost me like 30 dollars (minus the metal thing I already owned) the hangers being the most expensive part).
    • The papers are in plastic sleeves so they can be crossed off daily/weekly/whatever
Spoiler

received_456698892725546.jpeg.01209cc2bec505daeb4c4398de6dc377.jpeg

I love break, but I am never as productive as I need to be.  I'm a little annoyed with myself currently because my emotions have been all over the place and my focus and motivation are shot (no thanks to my terrible med habit).  I struggle to relax in general, so hopefully the meditation will help with that.

I dunno.  I'm not great at being here, historically, but I'm worse on my own.

giphy.gif

• Like 8

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Welcome back! I love your to do wall. This is something I struggle with. I make lists and then forget what I put on the lists. I'm going to figure out how to make my own wall. I was thinking of starting a new journal, but  I  really need it in front of my face.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yay, you're back! Love your goals this challenge! :) 

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to being here and hoping it sticks

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back!

Thanks!  I can't ever stay away too long.

9 hours ago, Salinger said:

try not to put so much pressure on yourself my love

this is also something I need to work on.....lol

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! I love your to do wall. This is something I struggle with. I make lists and then forget what I put on the lists. I'm going to figure out how to make my own wall. I was thinking of starting a new journal, but  I  really need it in front of my face.

The majority of my wall in clip boards hung up with ribbon.  That was the easiest way I saw to do it.

Let's go challenge!  STARTING ON MY BIRTHDAY!! 

giphy.gif

Anyhoo, it's going to be a pretty normal day around here...nothing special except going out for Mexican tonight.

Priorities

• Clean up the office
  • Do my grading minimums
  • Fold the Laundry that's been done since Sunday
  • Like 5

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Here it is my favorite birthday meme EVER:

Stream Go Shawty, It's Sherbert Day by PinkieOats | Listen online for free  on SoundCloud

I hope you have an AMAZING day and dinner (there are so many amazing mexican places down there i miss!!) and ENJOY! ❤️ 

• Haha 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

Thanks for the birthday love.  It's a gorgeous day here, so got all my inside chores done and I have moved my grading operation outside.  December birthdays aren't so bad here.

IMG_20211229_133758.thumb.jpg.230c51a280c17ffca3aaaa2f0494ce95.jpgIMG_20211229_133754.thumb.jpg.199d9eaedb4033dfd16c27fde7621c71.jpgIMG_20211229_133743.thumb.jpg.b52dfac8cd980f9cd49dc1a54ea21224.jpgIMG_20211229_133740.thumb.jpg.50a68d07f2b14a07d225db4af070c2e8.jpg

Hope everyone else is having a great dayIMG_20211229_134122.thumb.jpg.f17ad26dd30b7fb5b14dad858fc824c8.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

w37or.jpg

I got really smart after a while and started asking for really nice joint presents from my family if they were truly "for both".  Friends I didn't care so much because we were broke high school kids.  As long as they showed up to my party if they weren't on vacation (or let me hijack their New Years Party) I was fine.

• Like 3

Welcome back! And happy birthday 🎉

Also, your hair is so epic!

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I love your chalkboard + to do lists wall (not to mention your kitchen cabinets - they are my favourite colour).  I might steal the tracking wall idea for a future home gym. Hanging the clipboards is really smart, too, so the lists are easy to take down and modify. I will also be following for dog photos - your selfie with your dog is lovely :) 

And happy birthday!!

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

Great goals! I love your to do wall, it looks so great. The closest thing we have is a whiteboard where I track my dog’s meds each week. Maybe I’ll expand it to other things because that looks so useful.

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

19 hours ago, Salinger said:

you look great!!! Adore your hair xx

Thank you!  I'm really enjoying this color!!

17 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Welcome back! And happy birthday 🎉

Also, your hair is so epic!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

16 hours ago, Alanna said:

I love your chalkboard + to do lists wall (not to mention your kitchen cabinets - they are my favourite colour).  I might steal the tracking wall idea for a future home gym. Hanging the clipboards is really smart, too, so the lists are easy to take down and modify. I will also be following for dog photos - your selfie with your dog is lovely :) 

And happy birthday!!

Thank you!  The clip boards were a dollar store find (I promised my husband I would keep construction cheap) and I'm really happy I went that direction.  I love the pantry shelves too!  Hubs let me pick most of the colors in the house when we firest bought in anbd I am very proud of that one.  And there are always more dog pics (I have 3)

Spoiler

IMG_20200806_221902.thumb.jpg.0e4f039aa8f8dcffd674397e0609970b.jpgIMG_20210628_101354.thumb.jpg.b17361b6a1a8c656783803ed755fbfaf.jpg

Those are the other 2

15 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Happy Birthday! I love your hair! :) 

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Morning Nova!

How was the mexican food? Hope it was yummy!!!! xx

Mexican was AMAZING!!!  It's my favorite!!

giphy.gif

(literal representation of me)

2 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Great goals! I love your to do wall, it looks so great. The closest thing we have is a whiteboard where I track my dog’s meds each week. Maybe I’ll expand it to other things because that looks so useful.

I have had it for 2 days and already love it.  Crossing things of lists is the dopamine hit that my scattered little ADHD brain just fucking loves, so it's nice.

Recap:

Well, I didn't get everything done yesterday that I wanted to...

Priorities: 12/29

• Clean up the office
  • Do my grading minimums
    • Got a small bit done, but not what I needed to
  • Fold the Laundry that's been done since Sunday

I started off super productive, but everything I'm grading right now is long form, so it takes a lot of focus, and I have been trying to be smart and do like 6 a day of the 4 things I have left, BUT my brain is more of a "we only get out of bed for close terrifying deadlines type" but I'm trying to train it to be better because grading 70 something assignments on Sunday makes me want to hurl.  Today will be better.  I'll redo the math and actually do the minimums today.

Goal #1: Mental Space

• Show up every day.  Don't quit. Even if it feels like I'm failing and all I do is post a lame meme.  :)
  • Make a list of 3 priorities a day. Specific things you want to get done. If all else fails, get those done (2/3) :mellow:

Goal #2: Baby Body Steps

• Practice SLOW eating at least one meal a day. Put the fork down between bites. :wacko:
    • oops, sure didn't.  Dove into that Mexican food like I hadn't eaten in a week and absentmindedly ate a bagel on video chat with my sister.  Nothing mindful about that
  • Have a food journal :)
  • Workout three times a week.  30 minutes of whatever, as long as it's movement. n/a

Goal #3: Therapy Homework (subject to evolution)

• Mediate x3 a week (2 minutes)/Grounding Activities for anxiety n/a
  • Write things on calendars and to do lists that are out in the open :)
  • Take. my. fucking. meds. for. fucks. sake. :( oops.  Got distracted

@Tanktimus the Encourager, what happened to all the other emoticons??

Anyhoo, TODAY WILL BE BETTER

giphy.gif

Priorities:

• Grading minimums
  • Vacuum the couches
  • Dust all flat surfaces
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

@Tanktimus the Encourager, what happened to all the other emoticons??

That's a @spezzy question, but the extra emoticons were a custom add in done before a software update. Those updates often nuke customizations like that. 

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's a @spezzy question, but the extra emoticons were a custom add in done before a software update. Those updates often nuke customizations like that. 

All of the custom emoji that we put in are still there (under Emoticons) and did not get overwritten, as far as I'm aware. I've double checked and that's all still there  - we have almost 2k available before we consider the skin tone variations:

Nova_listens_to_her_body__her_mind__and_her_therapist_-_Current_Challenge__January_2nd_to_February_5th_-_Nerd_Fitness_Rebellion.png

Are there specific ones that are missing? 

• Thanks 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

@spezzy it may be an issue on my end then, because these are the only categories I get...not sure why...

Capture.PNG.25456ea23e96fd2177b1e57b25bade10.PNG

but I only see the smilies

43 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

@spezzy it may be an issue on my end then, because these are the only categories I get...not sure why...

Capture.PNG.25456ea23e96fd2177b1e57b25bade10.PNG

but I only see the smilies

Thank you - this is insanely helpful. There are no permissions around emojis that I can find, but I'll keep looking and if I can't figure it out I'll put in a support ticket with our forum software company! Will keep you updated :)

• Thanks 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

@spezzy They are BACK!!!!  Thank you!!

• Novaurora changed the title to Nova Tries to Salvage 2022