Waanie: multi-level challenge

Waanie

Thanks for the recipe.  I like hummus, but the stuff I buy does seem too oily.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

On 1/8/2022 at 5:57 PM, Mad Hatter said:

This sounds yummy!

It really is! Unfortnately it takes some time so it remains a speacial treat :).

14 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Thanks for the recipe.  I like hummus, but the stuff I buy does seem too oily.  

You're welcome! If the hummus doesn't come together without the water, then just add little bits of water until it's smooth and creamy. It's magic :).

I've mostly recovered from my booster shot. I feel like I have a mild cold now, but that's winter.

Today i was late getting up, slow in eating breakfast and I also had to make a batch of hummus since I was too tired for that this weekend. All in all, I'm now doing one set of strength training so to not start working too late. I did notice that my "normal" shoulder position was wrong in pull-up negatives, thanks for pointing that out @KB Girl! I'm now correcting that. It doen't make it easier or harder per se, but it's different. Anyway, I'm off to work now!

• Like 4
On 1/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, Waanie said:

Yesterday I made these egg muffins and they are delicious! I will post a picture when I'll have time. The smoked tofu is a really good replacement for bacon here, and the bell pepper I subbed in for the leek gave it a bit of sweetness.  

I think Starpuck had a leek soup recipe that looked really good so I maybe getting some leeks soon to try! :)Which means if I have left over leek then I will try these with the leek and without the tofu/bacon. 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:12 AM, Waanie said:

It's delicious! This batch was with caramalised onion and balsamic vinegar, so it was a rather sweet hummus, but I love it. I'm not sure yet what kind of hummus I'll make tomorrow; maybe just a batch of basic hummus with plenty of garlic.

Mmmm that combination sounds amazing! 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

I think Starpuck had a leek soup recipe that looked really good so I maybe getting some leeks soon to try! :)Which means if I have left over leek then I will try these with the leek and without the tofu/bacon. 

Cool :). I don't like leek myself, so I actually replaced that.

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

Mmmm that combination sounds amazing! 

It really is. It's sweet and a little tangy and yum in general.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, KB Girl said:

But whenever this guy appears on a podcast I’ll listen to it;

https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/een-goed-leven-met-chi-l-chiu-act-it-out-47/id1288783379?i=1000455870533
Not everybody likes him, but I did a couple courses at his institution and I think he’s genius. 

I actually listened to a podcast in which he featured yesterday (it was a different one that you linked; I just picked the top one on spotify), and I agree that he is genius. I don't like ALL he says, but most of the things I like. What got me to think the most is to look for your motivation, you have to look for what you would like to do but currently cannot. For example, I would like to go to my parents more often, but I currently don't have the energy for the long drive without taking a few days off work. That is a good reason to actually work on my energy-balance, both in work life and private life. He also tells that for example "losing weight" is not a goal: he could amputate your leg and you'd've lost the weight. Another interesting takeaway, is that he says that you do things a) because you like doing them, b) because you think they are important or c) for the wrong reasons. This is already influencing how I'm looking at my own actions, it is really interesting!

• Like 1

I just realised that I never posted the scores of week 1:

Strength: 3-3-1--

Yoga: -3-3-1-

Snackbox 33-33--

Evening routine 3333113

You can clearly see when I got my covid booster, but I think I did well in week 1!

Week 2 starts with many 2s:

Strength 2-

Yoga -3

Snackbox 22

Evening routine 23

While those are not 3s, the only 2 I'm unhappy with is the one for strength training. I really have to think hard on my "why" there; it is not enjoyable when doing it (also not terrible), and the benefits of "being stronger" are very vague. The strength will be beneficial at whatever sport I will take up after covid, and it is good for my mental health and longevity, but that's still very vague as well. I will think about it :).

Yesterday my colleagues at the office were eating brownies, and in @Mad Hatter's thread there was talk about brownies, so I actually made some quick brownies during work hours. They are delicious and great, although not so great for my weight :lol:. I also decided to just go out and walk for almost an hour at night which really helped me with sleeping. I'm still tired today on my day off, but not utterly exhausted :).

• Like 5

Great week 1 - even after the booster!

7 hours ago, Waanie said:

I was wondering by the way; is it better to do 1 very slow negative pull up and basically going to exhaustion every rep, or to have about 3x5 moderately slow reps and increasing the time training by training?

My instinct would be to do the option that gives you more volume (while still being challenging) and isn't to failure/exhaustion, and then test your "1 rep max" (in this case, the time) once every 1-4 weeks depending on your training schedule and how much you feel like the faster reps have improved.

Alternatively, you could do one slow rep and then do the higher volume, faster sets as "back off" sets afterwards. 

I'd be interested to hear other people's suggestions, though!

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, Alanna said:

Great week 1 - even after the booster!

Thanks!

On 1/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, Alanna said:

My instinct would be to do the option that gives you more volume (while still being challenging) and isn't to failure/exhaustion, and then test your "1 rep max" (in this case, the time) once every 1-4 weeks depending on your training schedule and how much you feel like the faster reps have improved.

Alternatively, you could do one slow rep and then do the higher volume, faster sets as "back off" sets afterwards. 

I'd be interested to hear other people's suggestions, though!

That's my instinct as well, so I'm going to pace myself a bit more with them; sets of 5x5s seem to be doabe, but still hard. I started with a set of scapular pulls actually, to warm up my lats a bit more :).

In other news, I have moved my strength training from Friday to Saturday and my yoga from Saterday to Sunday. Somehow it's always very hard to find the motivation to do anything on Friday, and I'm more likely to do proper strength training when I don't have to rush.

This week I'm still on track, with mostly 2s for the evening routine and snacks, and all 3s for exercise. Starting from today, the gyms open up again, but I think I'll wait with climbing again until the number of cases is somewhat under control again. Orchestra starts again in slightly more than a week, so I'll have to start practicing again for that as well!

• Like 3

Oh, and I noticed today how many vegetables we eat nowadays... It's a lot :D. There were 9 kinds of vegetables on my list for only 4 days of food (we only eat vegetables at dinner), and they were also quite heavy carrying home. Sometimes I wonder if I should take the bike instead of walking, so that I'm home more quickly and don't have to carry my heavy backpack as long ;).

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1
1 hour ago, Waanie said:

In other news, I have moved my strength training from Friday to Saturday and my yoga from Saterday to Sunday. Somehow it's always very hard to find the motivation to do anything on Friday, and I'm more likely to do proper strength training when I don't have to rush.

My strength training nemesis has always been time pressure.  I tend to half-ass it if I feel like I need to "get in, get it done, get out." 

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Oh, and I noticed today how many vegetables we eat nowadays... It's a lot :D. There were 9 kinds of vegetables on my list for only 4 days of food (we only eat vegetables at dinner), and they were also quite heavy carrying home. Sometimes I wonder if I should take the bike instead of walking, so that I'm home more quickly and don't have to carry my heavy backpack as long ;).

Yay, vegetables! That is the biggest change I have made in the past five years, I used to cringe at the idea of any non-carrot, veg, now I have several that I actually enjoy eating. 

• Like 1

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

14 minutes ago, Gemma said:

My strength training nemesis has always been time pressure.  I tend to half-ass it if I feel like I need to "get in, get it done, get out." 

It depends on the intensity for me, but yeah, if I want to train hard I should actually take the time to rest. 

15 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Yay, vegetables! That is the biggest change I have made in the past five years, I used to cringe at the idea of any non-carrot, veg, now I have several that I actually enjoy eating. 

Wow, you have come a long way then! Carrots are still good though, so versatile and cheap, I think we go through a kg about every two weeks in winter :). What are your favourite vegetables nowadays?

On 1/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, Waanie said:

Today i was late getting up, slow in eating breakfast and I also had to make a batch of hummus since I was too tired for that this weekend. All in all, I'm now doing one set of strength training so to not start working too late. I did notice that my "normal" shoulder position was wrong in pull-up negatives, thanks for pointing that out @KB Girl! I'm now correcting that. It doen't make it easier or harder per se, but it's different. Anyway, I'm off to work now!

Ah excellent! I hope you see some progress soon :)

On 1/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, Waanie said:

I actually listened to a podcast in which he featured yesterday (it was a different one that you linked; I just picked the top one on spotify), and I agree that he is genius. I don't like ALL he says, but most of the things I like. What got me to think the most is to look for your motivation, you have to look for what you would like to do but currently cannot. For example, I would like to go to my parents more often, but I currently don't have the energy for the long drive without taking a few days off work. That is a good reason to actually work on my energy-balance, both in work life and private life. He also tells that for example "losing weight" is not a goal: he could amputate your leg and you'd've lost the weight. Another interesting takeaway, is that he says that you do things a) because you like doing them, b) because you think they are important or c) for the wrong reasons. This is already influencing how I'm looking at my own actions, it is really interesting!

glad you're liking it! I found those things you highlighted very interesting too, especially the reasons you do things... and that bit with the example of your parents- I feel like atomic habits touches on that as well, that you're much more likely to stick with your new habits if you have these important reasons behind them. 

On 1/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, Waanie said:

I was wondering by the way; is it better to do 1 very slow negative pull up and basically going to exhaustion every rep, or to have about 3x5 moderately slow reps and increasing the time training by training?

One very slow one is basically the same time under tension/work as 3-5 more moderate reps.. but having said that, I have people do both- so I'll have them do really slow ones one training, then just sets of moderate ones, then another training have them simply do assisted for even more volume.. or sometime I have people do 1 really slow one and then see if they can do 1 or 2 moderate ones right after and then that counts as 1 set... play with it :) 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

glad you're liking it! I found those things you highlighted very interesting too, especially the reasons you do things... and that bit with the example of your parents- I feel like atomic habits touches on that as well, that you're much more likely to stick with your new habits if you have these important reasons behind them. 

Yes, the examples that he gave really showed me what they all mean with "important reasons". The perspective of what you would like to do what you currently can't is a very helpful perspective.

Ah excellent! I hope you see some progress soon :)

I think I'm seeing progress :). Negatives don't feel as taxing now as a few weeks ago, and I can do them more slowly.

One very slow one is basically the same time under tension/work as 3-5 more moderate reps.. but having said that, I have people do both- so I'll have them do really slow ones one training, then just sets of moderate ones, then another training have them simply do assisted for even more volume.. or sometime I have people do 1 really slow one and then see if they can do 1 or 2 moderate ones right after and then that counts as 1 set... play with it :) 

Playing around is something I can do :). The assisted pull ups are nice too, so that I'll get my form on the way up in order again.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Waanie said:

Sounds like a great adaptation to make sure you get more out of strength training!

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

That's one of the main reasons we do a lot of grocery deliveries - vegetable weight. What kinds of vegetables did you get?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

20 minutes ago, Alanna said:

That's one of the main reasons we do a lot of grocery deliveries - vegetable weight. What kinds of vegetables did you get?

I can imagine. The half-week we have onion, carrot, bell peppers, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, spinach, beetroot, sweet potato and courgette. I expect that by Wednesday, only some onions and carrots are left over, and maybe 1 bell pepper and a handful of spinach. I guess we went from barely 200g of vegetables to 300-500g vegetables per person per day in a a few years time? They make for a nice filler and add so much taste to a dish without adding too many calories.

We're making 2 tray bakes with various vegetables, chickpeas and white cheese, today we'll experiment with a beetroot risotto with smoked tofu and tomorrow we'll make a simple salad with beetroot, lentils and spinach. My partner had wild plans with making burritos for breakfast/lunch, but I don't think he'll actually make them (but who knows!)

• Like 2

This schedule seems to not to be working too well now that I'm occasionally going back to the office :(. Getting properly dressed, preparing lunch and travel takes up quite some time, so a full strength workout is too much. This Monday I did do a set of push ups in the evening, but I was too shattered to do a full workout. I'm still looking for a schedule though, so I might actually decide to stay Mondays at home, and do yoga in the evening instead of in the morning. The snackbox gets an automatic pass at the days when I'm at the office ;). Also, I'm getting in SO much more movement when going to the office, especially when going by bike. No wonder I lost weight when I started working here and gained during the lockdowns :). I'm also much happier now that I'm talking to people again, so I will actually continue to go to the office a few times per week, even though  it is not mandatory.

Week 2 report

Strength 🟢⚪🔵⚪⚪🔵⚪

Yoga⚪🔵⚪🔵⚪⚪🔵

Snackbox🟢🟢⚪🟢🟢⚪⚪

Evening routine🟢🔵🔵🟢🟢🔵🟢

(🔵 = 3, 🟢 = 2)

• Like 2
On 1/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, Alanna said:

I'm glad the office has some other benefits (including fitness ones!) even though it's getting in the way of the strength workouts. It sounds like you have some good ideas for how to change your schedule accordingly :) 

I like the colour-coding for your different goal levels!

Thanks! The schedule will have to settle over the next few weeks; everything is now taking much more energy than planned :(.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, KB Girl said:

Crazy isn't it? I feel better too. 

Yes! I know that we are social creatures, but I hadn't realised how much that is true for me as well!

Sorry to be MIA, the change in routine is super exhausting to the point where my body is starting to nope-out. I think this is just a temporary effect from having too much sensory input and not being used to it anymore, so I will just let it settle for the next few weeks. I'm going to try to accept doing my tasks just at the first level (so only 1 set of push ups, only 1 stretch, no fresh fruit and not laying out clothes), since that is still better than not doing them, and I can only spend my energy once. Orchestra rehearsal will also start again tomorrow, while I have barely played the clarinet at all in the past month. Fortunately my partner is picking up more of the chores now, so that I can hopefully find my balance again soon.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm going to try to accept doing my tasks just at the first level

YES!!  Go for it, and you'll probably start a good trend.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

On 1/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, KB Girl said:

I feel you, I'm super tired too. Hopefully you adjust quickly! And in the meantime, just enjoy the benefits I suppose :) 

Thanks, I hope you'll adjust quickly too! Tonight will be the first orchestra rehearsal, I hope I won't need too much wine to calm down my nervous system after that.

20 hours ago, Alanna said:

It's great that you have already planned a level 1 version of your goals to fall back on during times like these. I hope you re-adjust soon too, and I'm glad your partner is helping you out so you can conserve your energy for other tasks and interactions. 

Thanks, I'm really starting to like having the level 1 already planned out! I mean, it still feels like too little, but at least it is something. Also, my partner is amazing ♥️.

18 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

YES!!  Go for it, and you'll probably start a good trend.  

I hope so! At least the evening routine and snackbox are really becoming part of my routine now, which gives a lot of mental rest :).

Today is not a good day. I planned to do too much, work was exhausting and the day is far from over. Fortunately dinner will be just reheating curry and cooking some rice, which is doable. I did make my snack box with an apple, frozen berries, frozen pineapple, nuts and dried cranberries, so I got plenty of fruit in :). We do not talk about the chocolate biscuits of course. 

• Like 2