Gemma gets pushy

Gemma

I've given up on inclined push ups because it's too hard to find a surface on a nice height, although I guess I could use my new desk for it, that has a button for going up and down 🤔.

18 hours ago, Alanna said:

I used to use a smith machine for inverted row progressions since it was easy to slightly change the height of the bar, but unfortunately that's not an option for home workouts.

What I did for a while is to throw a bed sheet over my pull-up bar, and then grabbing it more and more towards the end. Now I'm just lazy though and doing one-armed dumbbell rows :rolleyes:. The bedsheet-method is amazing for your grip strength as well.

• Like 1

Day Five: 

Work Out: ✅

Elements - frogger and crab. Much fun. 

Eat the Frog:  ✅

Figured out what a secondary character's main "Want" is 

Walk the Dog: ❌

Nope. This is much harder than expected. I had an appointment to give blood yesterday after work. By the time I got home from that, it was waaaayyyy past dark and I barely had time to eat and write before it was time for bed. 

Cassie is going to fire me as her person if I don't get my act together. 

In other news, I had a "duh!" moment about the push-ups. I, um, own a  doorway pull-up bar and a suspension trainer. I can set it to any height I want, and do push-ups with the added little bit of instability that will only work out to my good in the long run. 💡

And a minor but significant Kick Perfectionism's Ass victory, I was watching a YouTube video yesterday and the content creator brought up how he uses his free "Year Compass" to reflect on the year past and set intention for the year ahead. It sounded useful, but my Inner Nitpicker immediately said "yeah, but it's already January 5, kinda too late to do that sort of thing now, i'nt it? Maybe if you remember, try this next year, and  make sure you download it before December 30 or it won't count."   (My Inner Nitpicker is a right bitch.) 

No. No it is not too late to think about what went well and what didn't work in 2021, nor to make choices about how I want 2022 to be. Shut Up, INP! 

• Like 3

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

In other news, I had a "duh!" moment about the push-ups. I, um, own a  doorway pull-up bar and a suspension trainer. I can set it to any height I want, and do push-ups with the added little bit of instability that will only work out to my good in the long run. 💡

Great troubleshooting!

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

Nope. This is much harder than expected. I had an appointment to give blood yesterday after work. By the time I got home from that, it was waaaayyyy past dark and I barely had time to eat and write before it was time for bed. 

That's tough when you're out all day. Can you delegate or get the walk in before work?

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

And a minor but significant Kick Perfectionism's Ass victory, I was watching a YouTube video yesterday and the content creator brought up how he uses his free "Year Compass" to reflect on the year past and set intention for the year ahead. It sounded useful, but my Inner Nitpicker immediately said "yeah, but it's already January 5, kinda too late to do that sort of thing now, i'nt it? Maybe if you remember, try this next year, and  make sure you download it before December 30 or it won't count."   (My Inner Nitpicker is a right bitch.) 

Not to mention you could choose an arbitrary 1-year period or make it a "6 month" compass. Good news is that you're catching your perfectionist mindset! Do you have any plans for your almost-one-year compass?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

Days Six, Seven, Eight: 

**Intruder Alert**

My in-laws arrived Friday afternoon. This was not a surprise, I knew they were coming. I just always forget to account for how badly having houseguests throws off my routine. 

Accomodations: I told my Hero's Journal that I will get back to it on Tuesday, along with the associated outline. I am still taking on 🐸 tasks, I'm just assigning them to myself in my Bullet Journal and making them non-writing related, because the family would think me rude if I hid in my office for an hour every evening that they are here. 

Work Out: ✅✅✅

Thursday - Pushup, I am seeing minor improvements. I can't do more knee pushups, but the ones I can do are getting easier

Friday - Elements. I am slooowwwwly improving my control in Frogger to Crab transition. 

Saturday - Pushup challenge 

Eat the Frog: ❌ ✅✅

Thursday - assigned myself to figure out the mechanism by which my villain will be defeated. This proved tricky. I told my subconscious to work on it over the weekend and get back to me Tuesday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Friday - Finish the 2021 reflection in Year Compass

Saturday - Choose two primary goals for 2022

• Complete a coherent rough draft of the novel
  • Learn an L-Sit on parallettes 

Walk the Dog: ✅❌✅

Thursday - yep

Friday - guests got to the house right after I did, by the time we finished "hellos" and "how was the drives" and such

it was way past dark. 

Saturday - yep, right after breakfast and before we went out to museum and lunch. 

I love my inlaws, they are great people, but the hubs always plans to take them everywhere and do everything when they are here, so I have little time to myself. I will do what I can until they leave Tuesday morning. 

On 1/6/2022 at 3:04 PM, Alanna said:

That's tough when you're out all day. Can you delegate or get the walk in before work?

Unfortunately at this time of year hubs and I both leave work well before dark. And - he's great, really great, but I don't want him to walk my dog. He subscribes to a very different training philosophy than I do, and I don't want her confused. She's got enough issues.  

Meanwhile, I am just continuing to be grateful that she has a large fenced yard and doesn't strictly need to be walked every day (but still, the more the better for training purposes. Also for getting me out into sunlight and air purposes). 

• Like 3

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

Unfortunately at this time of year hubs and I both leave work well before dark. And - he's great, really great, but I don't want him to walk my dog. He subscribes to a very different training philosophy than I do, and I don't want her confused. She's got enough issues.  

Meanwhile, I am just continuing to be grateful that she has a large fenced yard and doesn't strictly need to be walked every day (but still, the more the better for training purposes. Also for getting me out into sunlight and air purposes). 

Ah that makes sense - it's really more of a training session than a walk, isn't it. I'm sure she loves the yard!

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

Elements. I am slooowwwwly improving my control in Frogger to Crab transition. 

That sounds fun - I haven't done any transitions between the main movements yet.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

- Eaten by a pet carnivorous plant

- Drowned inside a giant jello statue (bonus if the statue portrays the villain)
- Death by a thousand porcupines

You've thought up some very violent (but admittedly fun) ends - what happened to the villain having remorse and switching sides or just being exiled/de-powered so they can come back in a sequel?? Remind me to never be the villain in your story 😂

• Haha 1

So clearly one habit that I need to re-establish is posting regularly in the forums. 

In the past week, my total scores are 

Workout: 7/7

This remained undisrupted, though it took a bit of finagling. Three NF workouts, three Elements workouts, and one Recovery day of light stretching, low-intensity Elements movements, and a soupçon of yoga. 

Eat the Frog: 4/7

This is getting harder, because I am at the part of outlining where the tasks are much more complex - major decisions about worldbuilding that I need to do some pro/con analysis on various options, that sort of thing. I need to get better at breaking these tasks down into smaller tasks instead of setting them as The Task for a single day. 

Walk the Dog: 4/7

Summer is coming. I am really looking forward to a time when I can stop at the grocery on the way home, or stay a half hour late finishing work stuff, and still get home before it is dark and freezing cold. 

Next few days are not looking great for dogwalks. Winter Storm Izzy should be here tomorrow, brrrrrrrr ❄️

19 hours ago, Alanna said:

Hope you're surviving the in-law intrusion! I want to know what end you decided for your villain :D 

All went well, just busy.  And I really am garbage at adapting to disrupted routines. 

My villain will burn to death - this was necessary, as I am riffing on Hansel and Gretel. There will be a hiding place for the MacGuffin, which the Gretel analogue will discover as a plot point. It will (of course) be booby trapped. Villain will coerce G into showing her the location, then try to send G in to fetch it, and G will pretend to be incompetent to even begin, so villain will get frustrated and attempt it herself.  This will not end well. 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Alanna said:

That sounds fun - I haven't done any transitions between the main movements yet.

There are two  main ways to transition from Frogger to Crab and back. The one that I'm getting quite comfortable with is basically a Walk Into Squat, then just reaching straight back from the squat to return to supine quadriped.

And then there's another, only slightly more complex one that I got to yesterday, and I am still struggling with my motor control on it.  They call it an 'underswitch' and it really looks pretty simple, but it makes me feel like the Queen of Clutzland. Ah well, this is why we practice. 

• Like 5

-Ursula K. Le Guin

14 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Summer is coming. I am really looking forward to a time when I can stop at the grocery on the way home, or stay a half hour late finishing work stuff, and still get home before it is dark and freezing cold. 

It's the dark that's getting to me mostly. It's like 16:30 over here, and already it's getting dark :(. No getting out for an evening walk and getting up in the morning is much harder.

15 minutes ago, Gemma said:

There are two  main ways to transition from Frogger to Crab and back. The one that I'm getting quite comfortable with is basically a Walk Into Squat, then just reaching straight back from the squat to return to supine quadriped.

And then there's another, only slightly more complex one that I got to yesterday, and I am still struggling with my motor control on it.  They call it an 'underswitch' and it really looks pretty simple, but it makes me feel like the Queen of Clutzland. Ah well, this is why we practice. 

They both sound cool! I actually had to look up what an underswitch was, and I can imagine you having trouble with the motor control. I tried it out, and for me the one side feels easy, but the other side is much harder for me. It again shows how right-handed I am :lol:.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Gemma said:

My villain will burn to death - this was necessary, as I am riffing on Hansel and Gretel. There will be a hiding place for the MacGuffin, which the Gretel analogue will discover as a plot point. It will (of course) be booby trapped. Villain will coerce G into showing her the location, then try to send G in to fetch it, and G will pretend to be incompetent to even begin, so villain will get frustrated and attempt it herself.  This will not end well. 

So a @Mad Hatter was on track with the violent ends 😆. Sounds very appropriate thematically.

21 hours ago, Gemma said:

I got to the walk into squat version this week! The underswitch sounds like it will be fun to try. A lot of these movements look a lot simpler when they do them 😅. I end up rewinding the tutorial after some practice to figure out the nuances.

Great job with your goals despite the disruption! Giving yourself smaller, more manageable frogs sounds like a good plan - there's only so much frog you can eat in one day.

• Like 1

Today's Box Score: 

Workout ✅

It was Push-Up Challenge day. I had been struggling to get more than 5 knee push-ups, but the sticking point seemed to be more in my wrists than the actual arm strength. And then it hit me 💡

I own parallettes. Duh. 

I can do 8 knee push-ups on low parallettes with no wrist discomfort at all, and that gets me up to the point where it does become an arm strength issue.  So my new goal is strict push-ups on the parallettes for now, while I keep Elementing and doing some focus work on my joints. 

Eat the Frog: ❌

Nope, I really got caught up in home maintenance taskers yesterday and by the time I got my paint tray cleaned out I was exhausted.

But ... and this is always fun when it happens ...  I woke up at 4 a.m. with ideas for worldbuilding, causes of conflict between people groups, and a half-handful of potential scenes buzzing in my head like bees in a yaupon. Got up, grabbed my always-handy pad of paper and pen, and scribbled happily for half an hour. Never did get back to sleep, but I have a window to nap this afternoon so it'll all work out. 

Walk the Dog: ✅

Hubs and I took Cassie and Apollo out yesterday for a nice long one, knowing that today it might not be possible. Oh, hi, Izzy! 🙄 ❄️🌨️

• Like 4

-Ursula K. Le Guin

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

But ... and this is always fun when it happens ...  I woke up at 4 a.m. with ideas for worldbuilding, causes of conflict between people groups, and a half-handful of potential scenes buzzing in my head like bees in a yaupon. Got up, grabbed my always-handy pad of paper and pen, and scribbled happily for half an hour. Never did get back to sleep, but I have a window to nap this afternoon so it'll all work out.

Sounds great, but can you persuade the muse to visit you at more convenient hours? 😁

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

"Complete a coherent rough draft of the novel"   - I really need to figure out how to do this xD

Glad you at least got the worldbuilding, even if really,  4am was less than ideal timing :P I find I have to make notes constantly to ensure I catch every moment of inspiration. 

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

2022 Challenges: 14, 15
Old 4-week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Glad your 4am inspiration worked out for you. I hate when I'm scribbling down notes on a brilliant idea only to look at it a few hours later and realize it makes no sense.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I'm still doing the thing (well, some of it), I'm just epic-failing at reporting on the thing or keeping up with how everyone else is doing. This is the week of my semi-annual inspection at work from my higher headquarters and that lengthens my working hours dramatically, and last week was inspection prep and "clutch the pearls" level Southern ice storms 🙄

Workout:

Going great. I've only skipped one day so far this whole challenge period (actually this whole year so far) and that was intentional. One day earlier this week I had to be at work stupid-early and the choice came down to a) skip workout, b) skip meditation, or c) get up at 4:30 a.m. to fit it all in. Skip workout won. But otherwise I am still Elementing along. I did do the 'lower intensity' option this morning because I didn't get even a half-ass half-decent night's sleep last night, but I am getting pretty downright competent at knee push-ups and slow negative push-ups (using parallettes to take some strain of my Element-stressed wrists). Happy with how both of those initiatives are progressing. 

Eat the Frog:

Nope. Not even one of the teeny little green tree frogs. Not a single deep fried frog leg. Not a tiny fuzzball tuft of hair from a Kermit puppet. Nothing. 

I took a few days off from the Hero's Journal when my in-laws were in town. And then I took a few more days off because I was exhausted and had a stress hangover from their visit. And then I took a few more days off because ... well, you get the idea. 

I brought my HJ to work with me today trying to get back in that saddle, and I've completely lost sight of where I was even going with this. Also have come up with twenty newshiny ideas for different directions I could take this story (wait, what if my protagonist was actually a PRINCESS whose royal parent was disgraced and exiled...) that would completely undo all the work I have done so far. 

Which is what I always do. Which is why I never finish anything.  Ugh. 

So today's frog is going to be going back and re-reading everything I've done so far to try and re-kindle my sense of the story I was already starting to tell.  Somehow this feels like a poisonous Colorado River Toad. My inner child is screaming "No! I don't wanna! New shiny idea over heeeere, I wanna play with thaaaattt."  She's mostly sweet, but sometimes she's just a brat. 

Walk the Dog:

Inconsistent, but good. Long hours have meant too many nights of getting home after dark, and it's been hella cold here the past week. That's a lame excuse and I know it, both Cassie and I have perfectly serviceable winter coats and sometimes we have used them and gone out anyways. But not every day,  not by a long shot. Good news is when we have gone out her reactivity has been a bit more controllable. I think that is more me getting trained than her - she is not less upset about cars and other dogs than she was before, but I have learned some new tricks for distracting/re-directing her, so that's something. 

Insomnia is kicking my butt, and I'm desperately hoping this is not a side effect of my new ADHD meds (or if it is, it's temporary) because they are really helping and I don't want to quit taking them. But I do want to sleep. Sleep is good. 

• Like 2

-Ursula K. Le Guin

Great job being consistent with Elements despite the insomnia and crazy work schedule! 

11 hours ago, Gemma said:

I brought my HJ to work with me today trying to get back in that saddle, and I've completely lost sight of where I was even going with this. Also have come up with twenty newshiny ideas for different directions I could take this story (wait, what if my protagonist was actually a PRINCESS whose royal parent was disgraced and exiled...) that would completely undo all the work I have done so far. 

Which is what I always do. Which is why I never finish anything.  Ugh. 

So today's frog is going to be going back and re-reading everything I've done so far to try and re-kindle my sense of the story I was already starting to tell.  Somehow this feels like a poisonous Colorado River Toad. My inner child is screaming "No! I don't wanna! New shiny idea over heeeere, I wanna play with thaaaattt."  She's mostly sweet, but sometimes she's just a brat. 

On the one hand I would say that taking some time away from a project and letting it stew in the background can be great for creativity, but I can see how getting stuck in the "what if?" state would be very back for productivity. Maybe the ideas are worth quickly jotting down for a future story? 

I'm also curious if you've tried different approaches to writing that involve more doing and less planning - i.e., writing out your story or sections of your story and figuring out where it is going as you write (and then lots and lots of revising later). I think Brandon Sanderson called this approach "discovery writing," but it's been a long time since I watched his lesson on that topic so I'm probably missing a lot of the nuances!  

Here is a teeny tiny frog to help you get started again:

Spoiler

RBtRfTF6oX2krOfXQ5aYum7pSxB0wSXMTaC3gGoz

12 hours ago, Gemma said:

Inconsistent, but good. Long hours have meant too many nights of getting home after dark, and it's been hella cold here the past week. That's a lame excuse and I know it, both Cassie and I have perfectly serviceable winter coats and sometimes we have used them and gone out anyways. But not every day,  not by a long shot. Good news is when we have gone out her reactivity has been a bit more controllable. I think that is more me getting trained than her - she is not less upset about cars and other dogs than she was before, but I have learned some new tricks for distracting/re-directing her, so that's something. 

That's great that she is improving and you're figuring out how to support her!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

On the one hand I would say that taking some time away from a project and letting it stew in the background can be great for creativity, but I can see how getting stuck in the "what if?" state would be very back for productivity. Maybe the ideas are worth quickly jotting down for a future story? 

I'm also curious if you've tried different approaches to writing that involve more doing and less planning - i.e., writing out your story or sections of your story and figuring out where it is going as you write (and then lots and lots of revising later). I think Brandon Sanderson called this approach "discovery writing," but it's been a long time since I watched his lesson on that topic so I'm probably missing a lot of the nuances!  

Yes, all the newshiny ideas get captured ... although, that document is now itself getting unwieldy. At some point I will have to go prune it so I don't just throw it on an overwhelm pile and walk away :D 

I have tried ... so many things. Including what Sanderson is talking about, which Grant Faulkner calls "the Zero Draft." Everything from that to having a detailed scene-by-scene outline with character sheets and elaborate setting descriptions. That last is very extra NOT the write answer for how my brain works. My main issue with the Zero Draft approach is that once I have created huge piles of words of unholy hot mess, the very idea of going back through that and trying to pick out whatever jewels are hidden in the giant pile of dross overwhelms me. So I've settled into a looser approach, roughly based on Jessica Brody's Save the Cat! Writes a Novel - and it was working well, until I broke my momentum. I think once I get that momentum back this will wind up being close to the right approach for me. 

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

Here is a teeny tiny frog to help you get started again:

Reveal hidden contents

RBtRfTF6oX2krOfXQ5aYum7pSxB0wSXMTaC3gGoz

Oh! He's perfect! 

• Like 1

-Ursula K. Le Guin

18 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Yes, all the newshiny ideas get captured ... although, that document is now itself getting unwieldy. At some point I will have to go prune it so I don't just throw it on an overwhelm pile and walk away :D

If you need a new system, there are some really cool (and free) note taking apps that have been created over the last few years. I've started using Obsidian for my research notes - it's kind of like MS One Note, but you can tag and/or link across pages and then also make a MIND MAP (which can be colour coded by folders and/or tags, too). It seems like it might work with how your brain works - generating lots of different ideas, and then finding structure within/links between them.

24 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I have tried ... so many things. Including what Sanderson is talking about, which Grant Faulkner calls "the Zero Draft." Everything from that to having a detailed scene-by-scene outline with character sheets and elaborate setting descriptions. That last is very extra NOT the write answer for how my brain works. My main issue with the Zero Draft approach is that once I have created huge piles of words of unholy hot mess, the very idea of going back through that and trying to pick out whatever jewels are hidden in the giant pile of dross overwhelms me. So I've settled into a looser approach, roughly based on Jessica Brody's Save the Cat! Writes a Novel - and it was working well, until I broke my momentum. I think once I get that momentum back this will wind up being close to the right approach for me.

On the plus side you now know exactly what works and doesn't work for you! I can see how that much editing would be incredibly overwhelming.

I've also heard that Isaac Asimov would set up a few typewriters with different stories and then rotate whenever he got writer's block - with the idea that he'd be unstuck on that story by the time he got back to it. But that sounds like it could end up as several giant piles of dross if you aren't careful 😅.

27 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Oh! He's perfect! 

Perfectly digestible :D

<blinks>

Oh, poop - is this challenge period almost already over already? 

Okay, next challenge will include a component of checking in for accountability regularly. I may not be ready for every day yet, but this seems a good application of Rebel One's "never miss more than one in a row" rule. 

So, current status:

Workout: 

Great. Really great. I have worked out every day save one of this challenge period. I finished the Push-Up challenge ... still can't do a strict push-up, but I'm definitely closer than I was before. Knee push-ups dramatically improved, negative push-ups to parallette height much better.  Elements, still going strong. I think I've got the underswitch thing sorted - I was starting off with my hands too far ahead of my shoulders. Easy correction, much smoother movement now. 

So what's next? This round of Elements will carry me at least halfway through the next challenge, after which I will either do it again (round three!) or possibly start on Integral Strength, another GMB program.  But for the "off days" now that the push-up challenge is over, I have a brand new plan, involving some prehab/rehab work on the stabilizer muscles around several of my joints. I know I'm practically fangirling GMB these days, trust me I don't think they are the best thing ever or any such nonsense, but they do seem to be what is best for me for now. They have an add-on program called Regulator that I bought but haven't used much, that includes some pretty well-designed 'injury proofing' movement sequences for various joints.  

Medical nonsense behind spoiler.

Spoiler

I've battled chronic pain my whole adult life, 35+ years worth. A huge pile of different doctors have ruled out Lupus, RA, fibromyalgia, all the other likely suspects, and many of them have sort of low-key implied that I am either a hypochondriac or a drug-seeker, so I had kind of given up and resolved to just suck it up and live with it. But it has been getting worse, so I broke down and went to a rheumatologist. Again. 

Am I the only person on earth who didn't know that  "Joint Hypermobility Syndrome" is a thing? I have always been hypermobile. Like, I'm 55 years old and can still put my foot behind my head with little to no warm-up, which is much less useful as a party trick now I don't really go to parties anymore. But apparently that, in and of itself, can be a source of pain.  And too much, or the wrong kind of, stretching makes it worse, contradicting my lifelong belief that stretching always makes everything better. Best bet is strengthening around the joints and movement awareness training to help me not push anything beyond a safe range of motion. 

Eat the Frog:

My attempt to get back into regular writing has had wildly mixed results. This challenge, let's just say I've ... learned some strategies that didn't work.   I still love my Hero's Journal, just need to tweak how I engage with it and what tasks I ought to be setting for myself.  

My neighbor bought us chocolate frogs as a thank you for watching her dogs. Sadly no collectible wizard cards, but I did eat this guy last night. 

Froggie.jpg.08881d0c5fe449e7ca3874577796247f.jpg

Walk the Dog:

This has been going well, Cassie and I have been been getting out into the fresh air regularly, though not daily. 

• Like 2

-Ursula K. Le Guin

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

Great. Really great. I have worked out every day save one of this challenge period. I finished the Push-Up challenge ... still can't do a strict push-up, but I'm definitely closer than I was before. Knee push-ups dramatically improved, negative push-ups to parallette height much better.  Elements, still going strong. I think I've got the underswitch thing sorted - I was starting off with my hands too far ahead of my shoulders. Easy correction, much smoother movement now. 

Great job with the workout consistency and push-up progress! It's been nice running Elements with someone and getting pointers :D. I'm working out less frequently, so I think Elements will carry me all the way through next challenge.

Medical stuff:

Spoiler

Sorry to hear that you're still searching for answers and that many doctors have been really dismissive. My partner also has some joint issues and it took us a while to realise that hypermobility may play a role. He's not officially diagnosed, but he can do a lot of the movements on the Beighton scoring system that make me shudder when I see them 😅. It may also be worth looking into Ehlers-Danlos syndromes as a possibility. 

The "too much stretching is bad" and strengthening throughout your range of motion/around your joints is something we've also heard - although it's tricky to figure out the best course for my partner since he is hyper mobile in some ways and has really poor mobility in other movements! He's still figuring out what types of exercise he can do sustainably - e.g., running is a no go since it makes his hips hurt. We've also heard that closed chain movements may be better for strength training. If you figure out any more strategies, it would be great to hear them! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

Great job with the workout consistency and push-up progress! It's been nice running Elements with someone and getting pointers :D. I'm working out less frequently, so I think Elements will carry me all the way through next challenge.

It was great coming back here and finding that other people are into the same sort of silly monkeying around as I am :D 

Medical junk:

Spoiler

I saw that Beighton test and my first thought was ... "oh -- is that unusual?" 🥴

Running is ... AWFUL! I never thought about that being related to hypermobility, but it makes sense. I hate it, but also every time I get talked into trying a couch to 5k scheme I get injured in the first week. Ankle, IT band, knee, I've damaged 'em all by pounding them against pavement. Never again.  I also have some of the the "hypermobile in some ways, poor mobility in others." My ankle plantar flexion is so extreme that it weirds people out - but my dorsiflexion is so poor that it took me almost six months of steady ankle mobility work to get a flat-footed atg squat, and that is still not reliable. 

The doc brought up EDS yesterday but said that a) my symptoms didn't meet the criteria that would cause her to worry overmuch about that, and more importantly b) it kind of doesn't matter, because her course of  treatment for hypermobile EDS is literally exactly the same as for hypermobile joint syndrome. 

She did order a test for the HLA-B27 antigen, which might (or might not) point to a possible alternative diagnosis of spondyloarthritis. She didn't think it likely, but better to rule it out than to wonder. 

So far most of the strategies I've found have focused on lots of isometrics and closed chain work, and slooowwing everything waaaayyyy down - which I think is probably  pretty much the same thing as strengthening through the whole range of motion.  Also, apparently, butt tons of core work.  And trying not to 'lock out' your knees or elbows when your weight is on them, because if you are hypermobile 'locking out' can equal 'hyperextending,' so, in Bear, I'm trying to focus on keeping my elbows 'soft' or neutral while still pushing hard against the ground.  That is a whole new ball game! 

Jarlo's take on it is at https://gmb.io/hypermobility/ 

• Like 1

-Ursula K. Le Guin

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Gemma said:

I also have some of the the "hypermobile in some ways, poor mobility in others." My ankle plantar flexion is so extreme that it weirds people out - but my dorsiflexion is so poor that it took me almost six months of steady ankle mobility work to get a flat-footed atg squat, and that is still not reliable. 

This is exactly my partner, except he hasn't put in the 6 months of mobility work yet. If he can get to a parallel squat, with the option to be more upright, that would be awesome. Did you use GMB's ankle mobility guide or are there other resources you'd recommend?

The doc brought up EDS yesterday but said that a) my symptoms didn't meet the criteria that would cause her to worry overmuch about that, and more importantly b) it kind of doesn't matter, because her course of  treatment for hypermobile EDS is literally exactly the same as for hypermobile joint syndrome. 

Good to know for us as well! If you get this diagnosis and don't mind sharing, it would be great to hear what the treatment approach is. 

She did order a test for the HLA-B27 antigen, which might (or might not) point to a possible alternative diagnosis of spondyloarthritis. She didn't think it likely, but better to rule it out than to wonder. 

I'm glad you finally found a doctor that is willing to thoroughly investigate for you :)

So far most of the strategies I've found have focused on lots of isometrics and closed chain work, and slooowwing everything waaaayyyy down - which I think is probably  pretty much the same thing as strengthening through the whole range of motion.  Also, apparently, butt tons of core work.  And trying not to 'lock out' your knees or elbows when your weight is on them, because if you are hypermobile 'locking out' can equal 'hyperextending,' so, in Bear, I'm trying to focus on keeping my elbows 'soft' or neutral while still pushing hard against the ground.  That is a whole new ball game! 

Ah, so I can prescribe evil tempo squats for him! The locking out was definitely a thing he had to watch, too - like locking out a deadlift was not his full lockout.

Right now he's mostly trying to get back into cycling, which he can tolerate, but he would like to resume lifting at some point. 

Jarlo's take on it is at https://gmb.io/hypermobility/ 

Thanks for the link!