KB Girl's next turning of the wheel

KB Girl

Ok season 1 of the Wheel of Time series was terribly disappointing, but I still love WoT and some of it was certainly enjoyable. Every new challenge I also end up thinking about character building and how that seems hard to me since I've got kids, they're such an integral part of who I am now that any character building that does not include them does not work for me. I toyed with the idea of a retired adventurer settling down but no because I'm certainly not done having adventures. Main parent roles in fantasy are parents of the chosen one or random people getting trampled by the resident evil, also not that attractive :D but a (warrior) mom trying to build a good place to live, community, trying to take care of everyone, enjoy life and prep for the worst- that sounds good, that fits. 

So basically this is going to be a very adulting oriented challenge? Run while you still can :P

618603246_ScreenShot2021-12-29at21_59_21.png.44aa2a3b05f21f15730d89acaf4377dd.png

A. Build a home 

Cozy and clean home with things organised to help us succeed at our goals, a returning goal of mine. Have made some progress, would like to continue with some more routine building. 

1. adapt the zone system from flylady to our home
  2. write down the areas and accompanying tasks on our kitchen whiteboard every week 
  3. before the end of the challenge have an extra bookshelf made in the kitchen

B. Nightly vigilance

We still wake up at least once a night, sometimes more, so going to bed on time is quite essential to my well being and my well being is quite essential to this village building thing. Have had this goal many times and it's hard. I'm inspired by atomic habits to try again but I'm not sure about what would be a good cue for it and also I'm very resistant x) Let's try this; 

1. Aim to be in bed between 22:00 and 23:00
  2. Set an alarm at 22:20, when alarm goes off (option to snooze once) go brush my teeth and the rest of my bed routine
  3. Aim to go to bed after that, but retain the option of going back downstairs

C. Communal fires and stew

I've been wanting to lose the last 8kg I've gained during my two pregnancies, and I've sat down and looked at why- because it's definitely not vanity. Part of it is wanting to see if I could, feeling like I should- as a dietician and coach. Part of it is wanting to make good first impressions, wanting to feel more like an athlete, and just a little sprinkle of wanting to look more badass.. or does that count as vanity? I don't know. Anyway, I had this inspiration to use the experience as a teaching/learning moment. If I were my own client, how would I go about it if I had all the time in the world? Let's find out. 

1. explore what part of my habits would be the most beneficial to change (effort/reward ratio)
  2. pick one or two things to start working on
  3. document
  • Like 15

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl puts down the phone

2023 Battle Log: over here

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Oh yes forgot to introduce myself... hi! I'm 33 years old, gym owner, kettlebell sport coach, dietician, 2 kids (5 and 1,5)... I have a reasonably good lifting habit that survives in one form or another during crisis, but would really like to upgrade that so I can get some more serious results, would love to have more hiking adventures and ehhm.. I keep a bullet journal... I like reading? x) 

this is kettlebell sport; 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqAVwFJCp-w

this is my 5 year old in the ranger's cape she got for Christmas; 

Spoiler

CB510EF1-A5FE-49CA-BA54-ACFE93545414.jpeg.fcacde4236cab894b6d88c194a7f804e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • That's Metal 2

Parents don't usually fare very well in fantasy stories, do they? Mostly because responsible parents wouldn't let their kids go on adventures and fight evil, I suppose. I think The Sword of Kaigen is the only book I've read recently with a prominent role for a mother (whose parenthood is also a crucial part of her identity and the story - she doesn't leave the kids at home to go adventuring). Parts of the story are heartbreaking, though. 

I really like your third goal and how you're treating yourself as a client - I think we're often kinder to and more patient with others than ourselves. I will be following along to learn more about KB training and pick up some home keeping/organisation tips! 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of WoT. Had high hopes for it, sorry to hear it disappoints. Really though, I'm just watching for Moraine and I feel like they've done a solid job with her thus far.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

25 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

this is my 5 year old in the ranger's cape she got for Christmas; 

Are you sure that's not actually a hobbit preparing to go adventuring?

1 minute ago, Alanna said:

Parents don't usually fare very well in fantasy stories, do they? Mostly because responsible parents wouldn't let their kids go on adventures and fight evil, I suppose.

Not to mention the fact that healthy relationships make for shit drama, which makes it very difficult to write epic dramatic stories about them. ;) 

That said, Bilbo and Frodo have a great child-and-father-figure relationship. The Stark family from Game of Thrones is another good example of parents who have good relationships with each other, and with their children (and the children with each other). Perfect? No. But healthy and supportive for the most past. Then we have the father and son of House Atreides in Dune.Polgara and Garion in the Belgariad are another good example of a child and an adult who have a solid and healthy parent-child relationship. Oh, and Zacnafein and Drizzt in R.A. Salvatore's books about the drow in the Underdark, of course. (I can't be bothered to look up the spelling of those now... the illythiiri language is nowhere near as easy to spell as it is to pronounce.)

So they exist out there, all over the genre. They aren't always a biological parent to the child they are raising, and what constitutes good parenting, and a good and healthy relationship, is different from setting to setting, and of course also varies based on the life situation the involved characters find themselves in. 

• Like 5

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

That said, Bilbo and Frodo have a great child-and-father-figure relationship. The Stark family from Game of Thrones is another good example of parents who have good relationships with each other, and with their children (and the children with each other). Perfect? No. But healthy and supportive for the most past. Then we have the father and son of House Atreides in Dune.Polgara and Garion in the Belgariad are another good example of a child and an adult who have a solid and healthy parent-child relationship. Oh, and Zacnafein and Drizzt in R.A. Salvatore's books about the drow in the Underdark, of course. (I can't be bothered to look up the spelling of those now... the illythiiri language is nowhere near as easy to spell as it is to pronounce.)

Oooh yes, I forgot about Dune - and there's Jessica, too, although that relationship is perhaps more strained (at least when they have conflicting goals and visions of the future!). Some of those books are new to me - I'll have to check them out! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Howdy! Following along again! The Ranger cloak is awesome.

Howdy! :) 

25 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Parents don't usually fare very well in fantasy stories, do they? Mostly because responsible parents wouldn't let their kids go on adventures and fight evil, I suppose. I think The Sword of Kaigen is the only book I've read recently with a prominent role for a mother (whose parenthood is also a crucial part of her identity and the story - she doesn't leave the kids at home to go adventuring). Parts of the story are heartbreaking, though. 

I really like your third goal and how you're treating yourself as a client - I think we're often kinder to and more patient with others than ourselves. I will be following along to learn more about KB training and pick up some home keeping/organisation tips! 

hey! :) For others we tend to take into account the circumstances and our expectations are more realistic, when it comes to ourselves that’s just excuses.. I’ve been learning to be more kind to myself because as you say in coaching and parenting that really just works best. 

i dont know if I can handle heartbreaking right now, but definitely writing that down in my future to read list!

17 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of WoT. Had high hopes for it, sorry to hear it disappoints. Really though, I'm just watching for Moraine and I feel like they've done a solid job with her thus far.

In that case you’re good, she’s basically set up as the main character. And I agree, they’ve done a good job with her! I certainly don’t mind the extra screen time for Lan 😍

12 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Are you sure that's not actually a hobbit preparing to go adventuring?

I did always say Jaap and I would make hobbit kids with hairy toes, curly blond hair and blue eyes- and we’re also kinda short (for dutch people). 

11 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Not to mention the fact that healthy relationships make for shit drama, which makes it very difficult to write epic dramatic stories about them. ;) 

So they exist out there, all over the genre. They aren't always a biological parent to the child they are raising, and what constitutes good parenting, and a good and healthy relationship, is different from setting to setting, and of course also varies based on the life situation the involved characters find themselves in. 

in lotr Bilbo has no role to play though, so not attractive to be that parent… and you realise the Stark parents (not to mention 2 of their kids) die horribly? 

But now that you mention it- Gerald in season 2 was a pretty good father figure 🤔

5 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Following!

Awesome! :) 

• Like 2

Following along!

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Part of it is wanting to make good first impressions, wanting to feel more like an athlete, and just a little sprinkle of wanting to look more badass.. or does that count as vanity? I don't know. Anyway, I had this inspiration to use the experience as a teaching/learning moment. If I were my own client, how would I go about it if I had all the time in the world? Let's find out. 

I don't think it's vanity. Anyway, I hope not, because I feel the same way. I put effort into my workouts, and I want to look like I do. I don't need to look like a fitness model, but I'm edging toward fluffy ,and  I'd rather not. It can feel wrong to say that some of our goals are to look a certain way physical, but we are somewhat judged by how we look, plus a certain level of looking good does help us feel better about ourselves. Yes, it can be bad if that's our total focus, but you are not in that camp , you have well rounded goals, so I don't think it's vanity

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

in lotr Bilbo has no role to play though, so not attractive to be that parent… and you realise the Stark parents (not to mention 2 of their kids) die horribly? 

The childhood when the relationship was established is just as important a part of the parent-child relationship, as the short glimpse we get as readers when the story brings us into their respective lives. And from that perspective, the Starks and Bilbo are great examples of parenting. Yes, it is of course tragic and terrible that several of the Starks die horribly, but that doesn't automatically invalidate the relationships they had with each other their entire lives before they died.

And yes, by that logic, Theoden of Rohan should also get a gold star for parenting, considering he raised Eomer and Eowyn into the people they are when we meet them in the story, even though we don't see a lot of their relationship with him during the weeks and months covered by the books/movies.

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

But now that you mention it- Gerald in season 2 was a pretty good father figure 🤔

If we are going to talk about Geralt, we should mention his relationship with Vesemir as well.  Speaking of father figures and all. :) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

I love the theme and I also want to see thirty something year olds getting roles in adventure stories! The way you're approaching the weight loss is intriguing. Let us see what falls out of it!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The childhood when the relationship was established is just as important a part of the parent-child relationship, as the short glimpse we get as readers when the story brings us into their respective lives. And from that perspective, the Starks and Bilbo are great examples of parenting. Yes, it is of course tragic and terrible that several of the Starks die horribly, but that doesn't automatically invalidate the relationships they had with each other their entire lives before they died.

And yes, by that logic, Theoden of Rohan should also get a gold star for parenting, considering he raised Eomer and Eowyn into the people they are when we meet them in the story, even though we don't see a lot of their relationship with him during the weeks and months covered by the books/movies.

I guess many fantasy stories do have good parent-child relationships, but a smaller amount of those stories feature the relationship as an important part of the story/adventure. We need some fan fiction of the relatively quiet periods when Frodo and Eomer/Eowyn were growing up!

The mentor/mentee relationship is a trope where a parent or parent-like figure gets to go on the adventure, but I think a common part of that trope is the mentor dying 😅.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I don't think it's vanity. Anyway, I hope not, because I feel the same way. I put effort into my workouts, and I want to look like I do. I don't need to look like a fitness model, but I'm edging toward fluffy ,and  I'd rather not. It can feel wrong to say that some of our goals are to look a certain way physical, but we are somewhat judged by how we look, plus a certain level of looking good does help us feel better about ourselves. Yes, it can be bad if that's our total focus, but you are not in that camp , you have well rounded goals, so I don't think it's vanity

I feel the same; I'm slightly softer than I'd like to be, and my clothes are starting to get tight. I know I have a nice amount of muscle mass under the layer of fat, and so many things go easier when you're lighter. For KB Girl it might also be important to be taken serious as a dietician and a coach; while maintaining a healthy weight is not the only part of a healthy diet, I'd be less inclined to trust a severely overweight dietician than one at normal weight (not saying that you currently look severe overweight). Also, being proud of the way you look is great for your mental health :).

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Following along!

I'm glad! :) 

and yes, that's exactly it- I have this photo in my profile from our relay team at the 2018 European championships and of us 3 I did the most reps, but you certainly wouldn't expect that when you're looking at us x) 

19 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

If we are going to talk about Geralt, we should mention his relationship with Vesemir as well.  Speaking of father figures and all. :) 

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there aren't good parent-child relationships in fantasy, just that it's rarely a parent as the protagonist. I want to be the protagonist of this story :) 

My girls can write their own stories later. So Bilbo doesn't count because he wasn't a parent during the Hobbit and Vesemir doesn't count because he isn't the protagonist either. Gerald counts. Tam (Rand's father in the wheel of time) does play a bit of a role in the first book and he plays a pretty essential part in book 13 or 14- but he's still just a minor supporting character.. Rand's biological mother has a good story of her own, but she dies right after Rand is born, so booo. 

15 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Whoa! Where does one get a ranger cloak? I suddenly really want one! 

My brothers girlfriend made it for us :) I want one too! 

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

I love the theme and I also want to see thirty something year olds getting roles in adventure stories! The way you're approaching the weight loss is intriguing. Let us see what falls out of it!

Yes I'm very curious too! and slightly optimistic even, havent felt that way about weight loss in years. 

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

I feel the same; I'm slightly softer than I'd like to be, and my clothes are starting to get tight. I know I have a nice amount of muscle mass under the layer of fat, and so many things go easier when you're lighter. For KB Girl it might also be important to be taken serious as a dietician and a coach; while maintaining a healthy weight is not the only part of a healthy diet, I'd be less inclined to trust a severely overweight dietician than one at normal weight (not saying that you currently look severe overweight). Also, being proud of the way you look is great for your mental health :).

Right! I'm guessing if I drop those 8kg I'll have my pull-ups back x) 

People who know do take me seriously enough and as I mostly (only?) go by word of mouth it works out fine.. but yea.. I'd like to make a better first impression. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

I guess many fantasy stories do have good parent-child relationships, but a smaller amount of those stories feature the relationship as an important part of the story/adventure. We need some fan fiction of the relatively quiet periods when Frodo and Eomer/Eowyn were growing up!

The mentor/mentee relationship is a trope where a parent or parent-like figure gets to go on the adventure, but I think a common part of that trope is the mentor dying 😅.

We do!

Unfortunately, yes... I blame the popularity of the "suffer a tragic loss and grow into a hero from it" trope.

41 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there aren't good parent-child relationships in fantasy, just that it's rarely a parent as the protagonist.

From a story-telling perspective, there are several good reasons for that though. The majority of fantasy and sci-fi out there focuses on exploration, character growth, and epic quests of some kind. Parents rarely go off and explore for months on end, at least not good ones, since that would require them to either leave their children while they do, or take the kids with them and put them at risk. They tend to be of an age where they know how they are and any growing they have left to do is minor enough it's not worth making a story out of. And, the epic quests have the same problem as the exploration.

Personally, I've late been enjoy reading fantasy where the protagonists are in their late 30s or early 40s, and have some life experience and some personality growth behind them, but I have a hard time finding any that are parents, while also being the protagonists of the story. Unless we count The Last of Us... Joel definitely is a protagonist, and a father-figure/mentor. Not sure that game counts as fantasy though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Unfortunately, yes... I blame the popularity of the "suffer a tragic loss and grow into a hero from it" trope.

I think this mostly stems from the fact that the mentor is usually much more capable then the protagonist at the beginning of the story, so it really makes more sense for Mentor to go save the day instead of teaching Clueless Farmboy how to do it. But Clueless is the protag, so Mentor has to be moved out of the way somehow, most often by being killed off. 

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

From a story-telling perspective, there are several good reasons for that though. The majority of fantasy and sci-fi out there focuses on exploration, character growth, and epic quests of some kind. Parents rarely go off and explore for months on end, at least not good ones, since that would require them to either leave their children while they do, or take the kids with them and put them at risk. They tend to be of an age where they know how they are and any growing they have left to do is minor enough it's not worth making a story out of. And, the epic quests have the same problem as the exploration.

Personally, I've late been enjoy reading fantasy where the protagonists are in their late 30s or early 40s, and have some life experience and some personality growth behind them, but I have a hard time finding any that are parents, while also being the protagonists of the story. Unless we count The Last of Us... Joel definitely is a protagonist, and a father-figure/mentor. Not sure that game counts as fantasy though.

Not sure either :) but it is a way for the parent relationship being in the adventure to make sense. 

I've always enjoyed civ type games, that's part of what I have in mind here- or like an engine builder board game.

13 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I think this mostly stems from the fact that the mentor is usually much more capable then the protagonist at the beginning of the story, so it really makes more sense for Mentor to go save the day instead of teaching Clueless Farmboy how to do it. But Clueless is the protag, so Mentor has to be moved out of the way somehow, most often by being killed off. 

Since this is sort of WoT themed I have to mention it again- I really liked how they took out the protagonists father with an injury so he couldn't join on the adventure but he was left alive and that enabled him to come back for a bit when the protagonist had moved on into badass territory of his own, but needed a reminder of where he came from and what is important. 

• Like 3

Tuesday evening I was in bed a little later than 11 because I was finishing posting my NF challenge x) the irony. Didn't get much sleep either because the little one puked twice so I had to get up and change the sheets twice etc. So our morning was rather slow, just trying to keep awake enough to care for the kids. Then Jaap let me nap for 3 hours or so before I had to go to work. Had a bit of time for training in-between;

Spoiler

- curtsy lunge + overhead press, 8kg, 4x4/4

- KB deadlifts 24kg, 4x10

- pushups 5x3 (happy I got these back)

- dumbell rows, 8kg, 4x8/8

- 12kg kettlebell swings, 8x10 and 12kg snatches 20/20 reps

Have been mentally going over my usual intake and filling it out for myself. I have far more information readily available than I would with a client, which is both helpful but also a little hard because it's hard to see the forest through the trees. One of the things I try to find out is what a clients relationship is with weight loss- how their experiences with weight loss shape their thoughts and feelings around it. Common themes are feeling incompetent, black and white thinking ("I ate one cookie so I might as well just give up entirely"), hopelessness, thinking they are just not disciplined enough/ something is wrong with them, sometimes denial (that's hard).

My own relationship with weight loss is very much formed by the decision I made 4-5 years ago to stop trying/wanting to lose weight- this has been immensely helpful in my mindset around food, my relationship with my body.. I've started eating better, my weight is at least stable if not ever so slowly dropping (except during my 2nd pregnancy ofc), the number on the scale is just a number, no more guilt, no more excessive overeating, no more 'I'll just eat this now before I start again on Monday' - and in the past just the thought of maybe wanting to lose weight after all has set off a couple days of bad eating before I came to my senses and stopped thinking about weight loss altogether again. A bit like a pink elephant. 

Thinking about it in this explorative way instead of jumping into taking some sort of action has not triggered these things, so that is good.. but it's going to be essential to tackle that before I decide on anything. 

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Happy to have found you! its a cool challenge and I will be here for it! :) 

Awesome! Thanks :) 

30 minutes ago, deftona said:

I look forward to seeing you write your own mother-adventurer story! 

:) Not sure how much I’ll get into it, but it’s fun to think about. Glad to have you around! Perhaps your food relationship journaling will have some overlap with and offer some insights for my weight loss relationship conundrum. 

• Like 2

I only watched the first two episodes of Wheel of Time, and my biggest thought about it is...(drumroll)...while I enjoyed reading most of the books, I'm just not really up for anymore epic fantasy.  I'm at a place where I need something more fun and fluffy like Star Girl, Hilda, and baking shows.  

What a great challenge! I'm extra excited about your sleeping goals. :D I hope you get some good sleep.   Your bedtime plan is a good one.  

• Like 1
On 12/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, KB Girl said:

a (warrior) mom trying to build a good place to live, community, trying to take care of everyone, enjoy life and prep for the worst- that sounds good, that fits. 

Love it!!  As a mom, I sympathize and have keenly felt the lack of solid parent-child relationships in heroic stories.  

• Like 1

Jed'aii Ranger

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51