Deadlifting Madness!

I started lifting with a trainer two weeks ago. I've been working out in commercial gyms for a long time, but as a primarily endurance athlete, my time at the gym was mostly spent doing cardio, machines, and dumbbells. I was petrified of the barbell (not knowing technique, worrying about injury, etc.). But I've reached the point in my endurance training where added strength is a necessary component to overcoming my current plateau. So, I buckled down, put my money where my mouth was, and started working with a trainer at an elite facility.

Last week, I learned to squat, deadlift, and bench press, doing mainly speed sets (8 sets of 2 reps each) at lighter weights, plus lots of assistance exercises to strengthen my somewhat pathetic ab, glute, and hamstring strength.

Today was my third session: max weight deadlift day. I was scared shitless as I saw the weights just keep piling on. I was sweating right through the chalk on my hands.

The woot: max deadlift - 295lb! (I weigh 150lb.) I gave a try at 315lb but that was a miss. Just couldn't follow through with my hips. My form is definitely still not perfect, so I'm confident that just with better technique I'll see improvement, not to mention how the accumulated strength will affect things.

Anyway, the point is I deadlifted nearly twice my body weight and I thought that was pretty cool!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maester of the Citadel - Scout

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Thanks for all the kudos, but please, nobody be intimidated. My trainer has assured me that I am still weak as an 8-year old girl. Max weight bench press on Friday should be a real treat. :topsy_turvy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Thanks for all the kudos, but please, nobody be intimidated. My trainer has assured me that I am still weak as an 8-year old girl. Max weight bench press on Friday should be a real treat. :topsy_turvy:

Hahahaha! I feel the same way. I use my Tuesday/Thursday deadlift days to make myself feel strong after MWF bench days make me feel like a weakling. :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Cyclist bench pressing. Always funny! *weep*

Oh, Andy, there's really no reason to make fun of yourself. We're 100% behind you. (Never mind that you could definitely kick my ass and you're probably a better cyclist too. I fear you not and reject your ridicule!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]