Flea has time

fleaball

I am bad at all things time-related. Underestimate how long things will take me, overestimate how long I have to get somewhere or do something, and my favorite, assume tasks will take forever no matter their size. Thus never starting anything because I won’t have time to finish it. Do these things contradict each other? Yep. Should anyone be surprised at this point? Nope. 

And then the other day I opened the app for my PT exercises and it said “9 minute routine.” Bruh. That’s all it is?! I can do 9 minutes.

So this entire challenge is going to focus on things that feel like I don’t have time for but absolutely do, and on the actual time it takes for them. Baby goals right now because I have other things I want to work on but couldn’t fit into this setup. 

1. TMJ exercises: 9 minutes every day

2. Flossing and mouthwash: 4 minutes every night

3. Warm eye mask: 25 minutes every day (20 wearing it, 5 for microwaving it, firing up my meditation app, and getting settled)

4. Any scary thing (job apps, etc): 10 minutes at a time

5. Any task that takes 5 minutes or less: 5 a day

Wish me luck.

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

24 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Baby goals right now because I have other things I want to work on but couldn’t fit into this setup. 

Love and am here for this!

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE adjusts

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 68

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

LOVE THIS! It's breaking down things like this that I finally started making life progress.  ADD/ADHD can kiss my butt!

True Story - I HATE unloading the dishwasher - and stuff would pile up as a result. Then we moved into this tiny a$$ apartment with the tiny a$$ kitchen - so I started unloading the dishwasher while I made coffee (boil water in my electric kettle and make French Press - which steeps 4 minutes). Turns out - I can unload the dishwasher and put everything away in less time that it took to make coffee. So now I do that every morning (and load and run the dishwasher every night). And I'm seriously like - FFS why had I not done this YEARS ago?!

With what you have here - just set a timer and go and done a few little things per day - they really do add up!

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

RED ALERT THERE IS A NEW SEASON OF QUEER EYE AVAILABLE

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Aaaaaaand the bathroom floor is leaking. I love my house. 

• Sad 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 12/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, Elastigirl said:

I love this so much! I feel like the above description fits me so well. I'm really poor at estimating time for things. I love how you have broken it down.

On 12/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, RES said:

Love and am here for this!

ello ello!

On 12/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

I think we all suffer from the "I need to do X but it will take forever and its a huge thing in my head, but really its like 10 minutes." So this will be a great idea. I am here to support when I can be here and supporting even when I can't.

You got this.

Yeah anxiety and procrastination don’t help at all. I appreciate your support no matter where or when it happens!

On 12/30/2021 at 8:04 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We are "a little help." I post thos song not because you need luck, but because I think you are incredibly brave for facing these issues.

I'm very proud of you.

so I’m genuinely confused about why this is brave but saying so feels like fishing for compliments, which I swear I’m not. What am I missing here?

On 12/31/2021 at 11:11 AM, Athaclena said:

LOVE THIS! It's breaking down things like this that I finally started making life progress.  ADD/ADHD can kiss my butt!

True Story - I HATE unloading the dishwasher - and stuff would pile up as a result. Then we moved into this tiny a$$ apartment with the tiny a$$ kitchen - so I started unloading the dishwasher while I made coffee (boil water in my electric kettle and make French Press - which steeps 4 minutes). Turns out - I can unload the dishwasher and put everything away in less time that it took to make coffee. So now I do that every morning (and load and run the dishwasher every night). And I'm seriously like - FFS why had I not done this YEARS ago?!

With what you have here - just set a timer and go and done a few little things per day - they really do add up!

Yeah really hoping it all adds up. And hoping that being conscious of the *actual* time things take helps me see other things don’t take quite as long (or need a lot more time allocated) too and it all snowballs. 

8 hours ago, Defining said:

This is pretty hardcore. 5 a day?!?

So it’s hard to put my process for that one in a concise challenge post but it’s not as bad as it sounds. It’s more like “let me spend five minutes putting things back where they belong” or “ugh I really need to schedule my credit card payment but I’m lazy but fine it takes like 60 seconds.” Like if I want to put something off but it doesn’t require a huge investment, let’s just get it done. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Welp. Didn’t achieve my unofficial goal of having my room all sorted before New Years. Thursday I got a good amount done before the dust took me out of commission. Friday I went out for Pokémon in the early afternoon before I got started on cleaning. While out, I get the following text from my brother: “He's vacuuming and savagely screaming so you might want to take a while.” Meaning our father. I did take my time coming home but the apprehension soured my mood and then coming home to my father being in a wild rage for no reason didn’t help either. So I got almost nothing done. I did some small things that definitely count, but I could not muster the spoons to deal with all of it. Also I’ve kinda run out of places to put things, considering everything I own is in this one goddamn room. I’ll have to purge shit again soon. 

I’m excited(ish) for this challenge but also apprehensive because… idk? Change? But that’s gonna have to step aside because shit needs to get done. Like motherfucking job applications jfc why. Urgh. Idk, here’s to progress I guess. 

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

so I’m genuinely confused about why this is brave but saying so feels like fishing for compliments, which I swear I’m not. What am I missing here?

Facing things that are hard, overcoming the feeling that you don't have time for things. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I think I’m starting my challenge tomorrow. -__- Went to bed early because I planned on getting up super early and go to a nearby urgent care before they opened at 9. Was woken up at 6:30 by my father yelling at boobcat and then spent the next two hours wide awake because everyone in this house sucks. Walk over to urgent care a few minutes before it opens because I couldn’t get moving sooner, the line is at least 50 people deep, it’s wrapped around the building, and even after they officially open I can’t see any employees anywhere to ask if maybe they have a separate line for people who *arent* looking for covid testing (because that’s what at least most of the people were in line for). And the automated system that answers when you call their phone number won’t let you talk to anyone at that location. 

So I turned around and came home because I’m not spending an hour in a line full of people who think they have covid. Checked the internet, both of the locations of the other urgent care I usually go to are closed, one just because it’s Sunday and one until further notice. Fine, I’ll use the telehealth my insurance offers. Or not, because even though the website directs me to the app, the app won’t let me schedule anything, and when i call the number it says to call the guy looks up my info and tells me the service is no longer offered …the service he works for that still clearly exists? Cool. Call one last place that I’ve been avoiding because they’re stupid busy even without covid, and the wait is about an hour. Fine, whatever. Take my father’s car and go. 

Get there and it’s not terribly busy, but I’m in line behind three women who are all there for testing because they have covid symptoms. Two are there together and are telling everyone how their best friend just died of it and the services are tomorrow and everyone is sick. I really fucking hope they stay home, jesus. 

eventually I get seen. Don’t have the UTI I thought I have, apparently. But the whole thing seems rushed even though there’s no one else there and there’s no exam or discussion of what else could be causing my symptoms and wow what a waste of time. She did prescribe antibiotics anyway, so I get to cvs and they’re not ready yet but my Zoloft is except it’s $145 instead of the usual $5? Got that resolved but really didn’t need that heart attack today. 

so that was my day before noon. Almost no sleep, bunch of stress, standing around with sick people. Yay. Too awake to go back to bed. Laid down anyway because cats were there. Although fat Kitty moved as soon as I got comfortable because he’s an asshole. 

it’s 7:30pm now and my day has been a complete waste. Too tired to do fucking anything. And also freaking out about covid again. As soon as I post this I’m going to message the PT guy and ask about switching to virtual appointments or just pausing in general because I don’t want to be in that hospital unless I absolutely have to. Tomorrow I’m going to call and see if I can switch next week’s appointment with the TMJ doc to virtual as well, and if not I may just reschedule it for a month or two out. 

I know it’s perfectly valid to be anxious about covid right now. But I feel like I just went from 0-60 really fast. Hoping it’s just the lack of sleep contributing to the anxiety and I won’t actually be back to being paralyzed with fear over all

this again. And lawl, I paid for a package of 3 float appointments and now I’m too anxious to leave the house again. Irony? 

anyway. That’s my bitching for the day. Bye. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I am 100% with you on the Covid anxiety. I'm a freaked out as I was at the beginning looking at the #'s. I'm SO glad I got my booster in Nov and when the variant spiked made hubby's appointment and shoved him out the door to get it. There's no way I'm stepping foot in an urgent care, ER or hospital right now unless there is no other choice. Mid-last year I did a televisit and it really wasn't much different than going in - no, can't actually touch you but TBH most of the time they're just confirming you're not giving them BS symptoms and you can go elsewhere to get labs (that hopefully aren't also doing COVID testing).

What I'm saying is, your worry\anxiety is valid - but do what you can in your control. Work on switching to virtual appointments, mask up when you go out and avoid hotspots.

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

On 1/2/2022 at 1:16 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Facing things that are hard, overcoming the feeling that you don't have time for things. 

21 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I 100% agree with Tank.

This is super hard to do, but you are trying and not giving up and its brave because you haven't said "I give up" yet even with all you are facing.

interesting. Since my brain is broken I’m just sitting here going “okay but if the alternative is not to fix anything then that’s a shitty alternative ergo this is something I have to do anyway” so it’s not a big deal. I’m glad y’all are here to tell me otherwise. 

4 hours ago, Athaclena said:

I am 100% with you on the Covid anxiety. I'm a freaked out as I was at the beginning looking at the #'s. I'm SO glad I got my booster in Nov and when the variant spiked made hubby's appointment and shoved him out the door to get it. There's no way I'm stepping foot in an urgent care, ER or hospital right now unless there is no other choice. Mid-last year I did a televisit and it really wasn't much different than going in - no, can't actually touch you but TBH most of the time they're just confirming you're not giving them BS symptoms and you can go elsewhere to get labs (that hopefully aren't also doing COVID testing).

What I'm saying is, your worry\anxiety is valid - but do what you can in your control. Work on switching to virtual appointments, mask up when you go out and avoid hotspots.

Yeah I haven’t been this concerned since it was all brand new. Not a fun feeling. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Sent PT guy a message asking whether we should switch to virtual or just pause for a month or so. Got a call from the office this morning informing me that we switched to virtual. Not my first choice but it is what it is. Our in person appointments mostly consist of him feeling around and massaging things so I have no idea how we’ll spend half an hour now. Meh. 

Had a follow up with the actual TMJ doc scheduled next week, moved it to April. Had an appt with the GI the end of the month, moved it to March. Straight cancelled an appointment with my primary next week because she’s useless. Kept one appointment I have next week because I’ve been waiting for it forever and it’s in a different building from the ER and places where people with covid would go. 

Also called my doctor’s office and spoke with a nurse to follow up on yesterday’s urgent care visit. 

and now all I want to do is fire up FFXII, which is the one I’ve played through a million times since this all started. And I’ve learned that when that happens, it’s a sign that I’m overwhelmed and low on/out of spoons. Which is wonderful since I have so much else to do today. But at least since I’m aware of it I can adapt as needed rather than plowing on. 

uggggggh adulting.

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 minutes ago, fleaball said:

and now all I want to do is fire up FFXII, which is the one I’ve played through a million times since this all started. And I’ve learned that when that happens, it’s a sign that I’m overwhelmed and low on/out of spoons. Which is wonderful since I have so much else to do today. But at least since I’m aware of it I can adapt as needed rather than plowing on. 

I have a couple of authors where I find I actually relax when I read their books. We won't discuss how many re-reads have occurred over the last 2 years - and we're talking like 15 - 25 books per author. So I totally feel this. It HAS been a while since I started up Diablo III - but that's usually when I want to punch something rather than straight up anxiety. So there's that at least......

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

@RES @fleaball Did you two plan this??

Time.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

4 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

@RES @fleaball Did you two plan this??

Time.png

I mean...what is time? 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

(that battlelog started in 2017 so doubtful it was planned since neither of us are that patient)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE adjusts

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 68

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

43 minutes ago, RES said:

I mean...what is time? 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

(that battlelog started in 2017 so doubtful it was planned since neither of us are that patient)

I resemble that remark D<

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I hate my brain. My family sucks, this house sucks and is falling apart, and yet the need to get the fuck away from it all is still not enough to overcome the anxiety around job applications. 

on a related note, the application system at one of the hospitals keeps emailing me “this posting matches your profile, consider applying.” But they’re data analyst positions and hardcore biology and other things that I have literally no experience in? My last biology class was in high school and I took a single stats class in 2015, wtf are you pulling from my previous applications to match this?? So now I’m questioning whether I have a shot at a different position in pinged me about that sounds doable but also came out of left field. Fuck. Although it doesn’t matter if I don’t do the goddamn application does it?

• Sad 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 hours ago, fleaball said:

on a related note, the application system at one of the hospitals keeps emailing me “this posting matches your profile, consider applying.” But they’re data analyst positions and hardcore biology and other things that I have literally no experience in? My last biology class was in high school and I took a single stats class in 2015, wtf are you pulling from my previous applications to match this?? So now I’m questioning whether I have a shot at a different position in pinged me about that sounds doable but also came out of left field. Fuck. Although it doesn’t matter if I don’t do the goddamn application does it?

If you can use Excel, you can be a successful analyst. If you can Google, you can use Excel. Pretty much just having a bachelor's is all that is necessary these days*. So I wouldn't discount these. It's generally easier to train someone to learn your subject matter than it is to train someone to learn how to use Excel. 

*Caveat that some analyst positions are getting more specialized, particularly depending on the level of data involved and where that data is housed. 

• Like 3