Avery the Patient’s 4th challenge

#Truth….I am an overachieving type A personality who thinks they have to tackle it all…Right now..like really lol. 
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

#Truth…I burnout mentally when I have too many goals. I want to do everything…right now.

Stressed Rick And Morty GIF by Adult Swim

In an attempt to rewire these inborn traits much of week 0 has been spent in researching habit building. Things I have learned. 

I have parts of my environment I need to set up to be more successful in building a new habit. 

Having less goals allows me to hyper focus on the ones I pursue. 
Dr Evil Laser GIF

Being extremely specific on a goal/action increases my odds of rolling a nat 20 on getting it done. 

200.gif

So with these things in mind, before January 2 I will

1. Finish organizing my bedroom and getting rid of stuff I don’t need. I am about 80% done with this and just have a few things left. 

2. Gather my supplies, find a hat chart pattern I like and read/watch tutorials on how to read a chart pattern. 

3. Call the gym and see what I have to do to cancel my membership there. Haven’t used it in months and don’t foresee me using it until things change for the better. 

Goals for this challenge:

1. Create and keep a morning routine that allows me to start my day  by 7AM (Not work though). 

2. Knit myself a new hat. I don’t have any cute ones.

Merry Christmas Dog GIF by Cameo

3. Fully fund an emergency fund in the amount of $2467.00. Some of this money is coming from the soon to be canceled gym membership as well as other cancelled things or things I sell as I progress through the challenge. 

4. Meet my movement goal

of a minimum 450 calories (per Apple Watch) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Also attend all scheduled Physical Therapy appointments and read the Glute Lab book I purchased.  (Note: while I have three things listed here they are all moving me in the same direction of getting stronger)

• Like 3

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year GIF by Ghostbusters

Progress is being made on my bedroom. I only have one more section to clean. I then need to vacuum.  

Making a slight adjustment to my creativity goal. While cleaning said room I found the missing ball of yarn that I swore I bought under my bed side table (where I checked like 5 times). So now I need to rip out 8 border rows and knit some more on the scarf. It will be longer which is great. This needs to be done by January 17 for minion #1  as she goes back to university that day. Then I can focus the second half of the month on the hat. If I work quickly I can get both done. 

Our current house guest, Carley is keeping me busy and moving. We are watching her while my MIL is in the ICU with Covid. It has been a rough holiday season for our family. We have had too many funerals this year (6 in total) and most of them due to Covid.  Celebrating while two close  family members are still fighting for their lives feels empty and hollow. But we do try to remain upbeat. For those of us that are younger, watching our older or less healthier family struggle with this virus has encouraged us to change deep seated and generational  habits on exercise and food. 

7DB44796-010E-4DD0-AA96-350C196434F5.jpeg

• Like 3

Happy new year! Did you finish the scarf and hat (was it for your daughter?) and did the edges stop flaring after blocking?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Happy new year! Did you finish the scarf and hat (was it for your daughter?) and did the edges stop flaring after blocking?

Sort of.  I finished it and then found the missing ball of yarn yesterday that I thought I had imagined having. As it stands right now it is super short (more like a cowl).  Debating if I want to rip out the castoff and 8 border rows and knit more to add length or save the ball for another project.  I haven’t blocked it yet. And yes it is for my eldest daughter. 

Quick 3 day recap:

Sunday: 

Morning Routine:

Managed to get up by 7:00AM. Was very productive and tried to avoid scrolling on my phone. 

Movement:

45 min walk with Carley

3-30 second wall sits

3-30 second low planks

3-15 ankle dorsiflexions 

3-15 ankle inversions 

Met in laws in Columbus, OH to get husband from Indy. He remained there a few more days to help out with his mom who is still in the ICU. Had al pastor tacos from our favorite place.  

Hungry Late Night GIF by Taco Bell

The rest of the day was spent driving. 

Monday: 
Morning Routine:
Managed  to make it out of bed by 6:50 AM. Slept well. Didn’t immediately look at phone and spent time reading The Glute Lab and drinking coffee. 

Movement: 
Had PT in the morning. The exercises are literally kicking my butt. Learning how to properly rise from a squat is incredibly hard when your range of motion enables bad form. Core work is also on the menu now too. It should help me remain more upright while in a low squat which translates into using my quads and glutes to stand rather than my knees. I feel like a weakling trying but I need to be able to do it. 
bobs burgers bob GIF by Fox TV

I didn’t get my walk in with Carley so I didn’t meet my calorie goal. It was really cold on Monday and even she didn’t want to be out long. 
Also on chapter 4 of the Glute Lab. Learning a ton of new things between PT and this book.

Today
Morning Routine:
Slept until 7:20 today. Didn’t make it to bed until midnight and Carley wanted out at 3:00AM and then 6:30 AM. However, instead of scrolling on the phone I did get up, make coffee and got a pinto bean soup in the crockpot for lunch. 

Movement:
35 minute walk with Carley and hubs

3-30 second wall sits

3-30 second low planks

3-15 ankle dorsiflexions 

3-15 ankle inversions 

30 deadbug lowers/lifts

creative:

Knitting has stalled out. I need to make space for this. 
  • Like 2

Carley is such a cute house guest ❤️ 

PT is such a pain in the butt but its so helpful. 

Did you decide what you will do with the scarf? I would be tempted to just leave it if it looks nice as is because I don't love "being done" then having to rework things lol. 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 1/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, Rookie said:

Did you decide what you will do with the scarf? I would be tempted to just leave it if it looks nice as is because I don't love "being done" then having to rework things lol. 

I am going to add to it. I am really trying to knit through my stash. This weekend I have some time slated for knitting so I hope to add at least 6-9 inches.  

On 1/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, Rookie said:

Carley is such a cute house guest ❤️ 

PT is such a pain in the butt but its so helpful.

She is super cute. We have been talking about getting a cat or a dog so having her has been a nice way for us to learn how to have a pet. My MIL is looking better. She is still in the ICU but is now awake. We anticipate having Carley at least another 3-5 weeks. 

PT is no fun and games but it is helping to identify several weak points. My core and back is weak which is hindering my ability to come up from a squat. I am not quite 40 and relatively active so this should be fairly easy to do. It just isn’t. I used to spend tons of time doing yoga but since covid hit my practice has stopped since we haven’t frequented the gyms or any fitness classes. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Avery the Patient said:

I am going to add to it. I am really trying to knit through my stash. This weekend I have some time slated for knitting so I hope to add at least 6-9 inches.  

Oh that should make a nice scarf! 

She is super cute. We have been talking about getting a cat or a dog so having her has been a nice way for us to learn how to have a pet. My MIL is looking better. She is still in the ICU but is now awake. We anticipate having Carley at least another 3-5 weeks. 

What a good trial run for you guys! There's really no better way to see if you are ready for a pet than borrowing someone elses. I have 3 dogs LOL the first one was a shocker because I thought I was completely prepared but the reality is a bit different than reading about it. Like "Oh I can't just go out with my friends, I need to go home and take care of the pup first then make sure there is someone home who can spend some time with him". 

Glad to hear your MIL is getting better!

PT is no fun and games but it is helping to identify several weak points. My core and back is weak which is hindering my ability to come up from a squat. I am not quite 40 and relatively active so this should be fairly easy to do. It just isn’t. I used to spend tons of time doing yoga but since covid hit my practice has stopped since we haven’t frequented the gyms or any fitness classes. 

I had to do PT for a torn ligament in my finger which hurt so so much lol. Basically my finger was stuck being curled and I couldn't straighten it. I also had to do it for my ankle but that wasn't as bad as my torn ligament. But my finger and ankle are almost good as new so it was definitely worth it. I think I need to do some more PT to figure out my foot issue and my whole body is super tight which makes things hard. A lot of people seem to like the 30 days of yoga by Adriene. Do you think you'd like to start up doing yoga again? 

Speaking of gyms, have you figured out what you needed to do to cancel your membership? When I cancelled mine a few years ago, they made us come in to sign some papers.

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

22 hours ago, Rookie said:

Speaking of gyms, have you figured out what you needed to do to cancel your membership? When I cancelled mine a few years ago, they made us come in to sign some papers.

Thanks for asking   I called this morning and I just have to go there  to cancel it or send a letter via postal service. 

22 hours ago, Rookie said:

I had to do PT for a torn ligament in my finger which hurt so so much lol. Basically my finger was stuck being curled and I couldn't straighten it. I also had to do it for my ankle but that wasn't as bad as my torn ligament. But my finger and ankle are almost good as new so it was definitely worth it. I think I need to do some more PT to figure out my foot issue and my whole body is super tight which makes things hard. A lot of people seem to like the 30 days of yoga by Adriene. Do you think you'd like to start up doing yoga again? 

Yeah this isn’t my first voyage into PT. Spent a few years struggling with neck and shoulder  pain. Tried the chiropractor and while that loosened everything up it didn’t help with the actual issue. In the end I couldn’t look over my left shoulder and I had quite an impingement that resulted in significant weakness on one side. The right side shoulder blade was fine lowering in a push-up but the left was catching. The saving grace is the active release therapist (ART)  they had. I have no idea exactly how it works but it does. They had me back to baseline in 12 weeks between PT and ART. 

As for yoga I would love to get back Into

it but I need to find space for it and I doubt I will have any in the next few challenges. 

Rest of this week updates:

Wednesday: 

Movement 

The weather was decent so Carley and I went for a walk. Also spent more time reading the Glute Lab book.  

Morning Routine:

Carley also wanted out at 3AM so I didn’t roll out of bed until almost 7:30. I am so out of practice with middle of night wake ups. When my kids were younger I was pretty good at running on around 6-7 hours of sleep with middle of the night wakeups. Now I am moody AF if anyone disturbs my sleep and I get less than 7 hours. Good thing Carley is cute. 

Creative. 
No knitting done this day. 

Thursday:

Movement. 
Had PT today. The mobility in my ankles is looking better and they are recommending that I elevate my heels while squatting to remain more up right while I build core strength. I have also been working on the mind body connection with my feet, quads, glutes and  core while walking, standing, squatting and going up and downstairs. Half the battle of getting out of my squat is consciously doing the movement. 

Wakeup:

I woke around 6:30 and logged into work at 7. I didn’t want to be on late due to taking an hour mid morning for PT so I opted to start work early. 

Creative:  I misplaced my size 7 needles I was using. Kids say they were in the back of the car for when we went out to Indiana around Christmas. But I can’t seem to find them. Blah. I swear I become more type A because I lose stuff all the time. If it moves from its location I struggle to find it later. 

Friday 

Movement:

Did not make my movement goal but it was the hubs birthday so it was more important to spend time with him. It is also really cold outside which makes walking no fun (like 6 degrees cold with the windchill). We played Betrayal Legacy and had steaks with roasted beets and smoked goat cheese. Dessert was a Dairy Queen Oreo ice cream cake. All in all a great birthday dinner. 

Morning Routine:

I think Carley is spoiled lol. She slept in our bed and made it a full night without a potty break.  (6ish hours). So I woke pretty happy and awake by 6:40. Did read more of the Glute Lab and I am now starting chapter 9. 

Creative. 
I am clearly a needle whore. I have about 3 pairs of size 7 needles (not counting circulars). I ripped out the cast off and 8 boarder rows and started adding to the scarf while we played Betrayal. 

49E5A3A8-D833-426F-87A1-D47CC405F524.jpeg

Saturday (January 5 )

Morning routine:

I slept in until 8 this  morning as Carley wanted out around 5:30. Not too early but earlier than I wanted to move. Lots of posting and coffee now. We bought a new milk frother and I love it. Having simple things that make you happy makes setting new routines easier. 

Movement: I anticipate being on my feet most of today and tomorrow. I am a mentor for our kids’ FRC team and this weekend  is kickoff. 11-7 today and 11-6 tomorrow  with 20 some odd teenagers should help me meet my movement goal. 

Creative:

I also hope to bust out some major knitting today/ tomorrow while the team brainstorms what they will build for the season. We (mentors) try to keep this student driven as the kids will not learn anything if we do things for them. These kids (grades 7-12) are learning to plan, design, prototype, build and test a robot in about 6-8 weeks. I am in awe with the amount of intelligence (both mental and emotional) this generation has. 

• Like 1

Mod week catch up:

Sunday:

Morning Routine: made it out of bed by 9. Just tired. Saturday kicked out butts and I fell asleep on the couch. Carley wanted out around midnight so I dragged my rear to bed after that. 

movement: 7 hours of wandering around watching/ helping high schoolers come up with a prototype for this year’s FRC game. Met my calorie and step goal

creative:  didn’t get any rows done on scarf on Sunday. Managed some

on Saturday. 

Monday - Wednesday 

Morning wake up:  I am not doing so well on this. Very tired but it is also ladies week so exhaustion is part of the game. Setting my alarm tonight and implementing a bedtime to help with waking.  It is one of those sunrise simulation ones. My sleep is heavily dependent on light and my wake up time shifts annually by 3 hours (8am-ish in the winters and 5/5:30 am in the summers). It is very annoying so I am trying to get this huge shift to some thing more like 30-90 minutes.

Movement: 

It is cold here which equates to hibernating in the house. Poor Carley wants to go on walks but it was less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit both Monday and Tuesday. We did get a walk in today after the temperature moved up into the 40’s. Met my movement goal on Monday and today. Tuesday was a joke. 

Creative:  Still working on the scarf. I think I have about 2/3 of the skein left. Going to try and bust some rows out tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

Update on progress.  

Morning Routine:  This is going on the next challenge or maybe I should just stop fighting my natural sleep cycle. I don’t struggle with sleep I just would prefer waking earlier. 

Movement:  I managed to meet this goal. PT discharged me this past week. I am to continue working on core, glute and quad strengthening exercises. Stepping up my workout is on the docket for next challenge.  I am still having knee pain but it should subside as I gain strength. Carley also Loves her walks in the snow when it is warm enough to go. She usually lives with my  MIL who is further south and doesn’t get as much snow. 

Creative:

I finished minion 1’s hat in the car on the way to the university. Just in time lol. She appreciated it as those next few days they got a bunch of snow and very frigid temperatures. 

About 2/3’s done with my new hat but I am not sure I like how the yarn colors are matching up. I am wondering if the colors are spaced differently at the start of the skein then changes further in. Either spacing is fine but the crown of the hat looks significantly different than the body and so it looks terrible. It’s not difficult to knit but it is a bit tedious to get the first 10-12 rows on. Any knitters have any thoughts on if I should rip the whole thing and check the color spacing?  

8A1B9980-3537-49BF-B9E2-53999AFCDDFB.jpeg

9FF32C0B-D828-477A-9EE6-066A9CDD9BCA.jpeg

CB351C61-F43F-4E3C-AC41-E30C5B09BECF.jpeg

image.jpg