Jump to content

Scaly Freak Weaponizes Acceptance (again)


Recommended Posts

  • Quote

     

    • DEAD Self-Indulgence was gradually convinced it would be easier for her to reach her goal if we worked together. Before the alliance fell apart on its own, Self-Indulgence was viciously attacked, and killed, by a very angry unicorn.
      • Current strategy: Dance on her grave

     

This is such a great image. It did give me some DS vibes before you mentioned it. Are you excited for Elden Ring? 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Pyralis said:
  •  

This is such a great image. It did give me some DS vibes before you mentioned it. Are you excited for Elden Ring? 

 

Maybe a little.

 

Happy Feliz GIF

  • Haha 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm also colleting a lot of solid data about how important the barbells are for managing anxiety levels. Despite all my at-home effort, the intensity is gradually building, to the point of a small flare-up last night over something that objectively doesn't matter to me. It just felt like it did, at the time. We took Happy Sidekick out for a walk and talked about it, and made adjustments to the plan. We're still in agreement that going to the gym is not safe enough to be worth the risk right now. Even if the adjustments don't help in the long term, proactively making adjustments goes a long way towards soothing The Flame.

 

Data is good - although I'm sorry to hear you are having Flame flare ups. Out of curiosity, are you trying to also decompose what is special about barbells in particular and whether those components can be recreated using other activities or a combination of activities? E.g., if bodyweight workouts aren't sufficient because "getting out of the house" (or at least having a separate space) is an essential part of the Iron experience.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Out of curiosity, are you trying to also decompose what is special about barbells in particular and whether those components can be recreated using other activities or a combination of activities? E.g., if bodyweight workouts aren't sufficient because "getting out of the house" (or at least having a separate space) is an essential part of the Iron experience.

 

Yes, I am. My therapist made this point during the first lockdown, when I was trying to figure out why home workouts wasn't enough. I have been focusing entirely on the workout itself, and completely failed to consider that leaving every-day-life-space to go work out someplace else might be a factor, so thank you for pointing that out. I'll fold that into my thinking as I continue to deconstruct.

  • Like 3

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yes, I am. My therapist made this point during the first lockdown, when I was trying to figure out why home workouts wasn't enough. I have been focusing entirely on the workout itself, and completely failed to consider that leaving every-day-life-space to go work out someplace else might be a factor, so thank you for pointing that out. I'll fold that into my thinking as I continue to deconstruct.

 

No problem - I've been on and off thinking about stress management /coping strategies and trying to branch out from my established ones in my own life, too. I'd be interested to know what you figure out if you don't mind sharing.

 

I've heard of people who work from home "walking" to and from work to create an activity + time that separates work from home. If the exercise space is a factor, I wonder if a similar approach could be used to trick the brain into thinking you're "going" to the gym - although I'm sure the space itself matters too.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I've heard of people who work from home "walking" to and from work to create an activity + time that separates work from home. If the exercise space is a factor, I wonder if a similar approach could be used to trick the brain into thinking you're "going" to the gym - although I'm sure the space itself matters too.

 

I have specific routines that act as "bookends" around my work day, for just that reason. It makes sense that having something similar for working out would make a difference there as well. I shall think on this.

  • Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment

I think that's why our online classes during lockdown worked- having a set time and needing to open up the laptop and get things set up probably helped create that mindset that leaving the house normally does. 

  • Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment

It's been a strange few days. After a tense and flammable Monday I finally fell asleep around 3 AM (I do not recommend this as it sucks massively), I had an appointment with my therapist on Tuesday. I put everything that stresses me into words and the list was a lot longer than I expected it would be. Well then. Then came Wednesday and we had a dinner date thing with Jamaican jerk chicken wings (hand delivered from our very own kitchen!) and watched Matrix Resurrections together, and then we took a long evening walk while we talked about the movie, and life was good again. :) 

 

And now I'm listening to this, because why not?

 

 

 

And why not this as well?

 

 

I blame @juliebarkley for all the violins 😇

  • Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment

Sorry about the long list of inflammable items. The date night sounds perfect, though 😊

  • Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
On 1/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I have specific routines that act as "bookends" around my work day, for just that reason. It makes sense that having something similar for working out would make a difference there as well. I shall think on this.

 

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious what your bookends are (/what you've heard of and tried) - it seems like a strategy that could help with my routine goal, too.

 

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It's been a strange few days. After a tense and flammable Monday I finally fell asleep around 3 AM (I do not recommend this as it sucks massively), I had an appointment with my therapist on Tuesday. I put everything that stresses me into words and the list was a lot longer than I expected it would be. Well then. Then came Wednesday and we had a dinner date thing with Jamaican jerk chicken wings (hand delivered from our very own kitchen!) and watched Matrix Resurrections together, and then we took a long evening walk while we talked about the movie, and life was good again. :) 

 

 

I am sorry, those nights suck 🙁. And then the sleep deprivation doesn't help with the anxiety the next day. I am glad the date night helped break the cycle! Since we were discussing the "essential components" of lifting - does that mean that that combination of Matrix, company, chicken wings, etc. can mimic the Flame-soothing features of lifting?? (I'm semi-joking -the more realistic explanation is that you have multiple soothing strategies - but also semi-curious what the chicken wings would replace from the lifting experience.)

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Then came Wednesday and we had a dinner date thing with Jamaican jerk chicken wings (hand delivered from our very own kitchen!) and watched Matrix Resurrections together, and then we took a long evening walk while we talked about the movie, and life was good again. :) 

Makes it all worth it! :)

 

Love both of those music videos, I guess I have a thing for violins.. and system of a down hits all my nostalgia buttons.

  • Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Alanna said:

 

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious what your bookends are (/what you've heard of and tried) - it seems like a strategy that could help with my routine goal, too.

 

Don't mind sharing at all. :) 

 

I think it was @Mistr who initially helped me realize, back in the spring of 2020 (wow, does time fly...)  that one of the most important aspects of commuting to and from work is that the brain uses the commute to shift gears to and from Work Mode. And because I have learned from the Nagoski sisters' book that switching gears in the brain is triggered by physical actions, not by thoughts and will power, I took Mistr's advice and created habits/routines before work and after work ends, to make it easier for my brain to close down the work apps and open the My Time Is Mine Again apps, and vice versa.

 

I think the most effective thing I have done is give myself an actual commute, though obviously it is a very short in-house commute since work is in my house now. I set up my home office in the upstairs guest room that we never use for anything else, so when I go up the stairs I go to work. When I go down the stairs, I leave work.

 

I also make sure to turn off my work computer at the end of my shift, and tidy up my work space. That becomes another signal to the brain that we are done with work now. In the mornings, booting the work computer, logging in to the VPN and filling my water cup, etc, all act as signals that it's time to go to work now. I also dress for work - not as formal as I did when I went into the office, but i put on my dressy/nice jeans, a nice top, and do my hair and makeup. After work, I change into comfy sweat pants and one of the t-shirts that would make HR cringe, and spend 15-30 minutes having "quiet time" in my dragon cave to complete the gear shifting process.

 

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

Since we were discussing the "essential components" of lifting - does that mean that that combination of Matrix, company, chicken wings, etc. can mimic the Flame-soothing features of lifting?? (I'm semi-joking -the more realistic explanation is that you have multiple soothing strategies - but also semi-curious what the chicken wings would replace from the lifting experience.)

 

The chicken wings fill a completely different of giving me an creative outlet and the chance to actually create something that someone else appreciates. Cooking has been one of the most effective ways for me to destress for years, and that was one of the reasons losing my kitchen to water damage in the summer of 2020 was so devastating to me. 

 

To me, trying to replace lifting as an anxiety management tool is a little bit like completely removing chocolate from one's diet and then try to replace it with other treats/desserts: It just doesn't work that way.

 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with caramel, strawberries, snickerdoodle, lemon cake, or whatever else can be eaten instead of chocolate. Of course not.  But they are not chocolate. And the moment you eat a piece of chocolate again you immediately realize what you missed and just how much you missed it. 

 

One of the things my therapist and I talked about on Tuesday was the importance and benefits of having access to what she calls "a versatile toolbox" for managing anxiety. Using lifting to manage it is awesome, but if that is the only tool I have, then I'm screwed if I lose access to it for any reason, so I need to have other tools as well. It's also important that I view these other tools as legitimate measures in their own right instead of an emergency fallback to use only when "the real thing" isn't available. She also wants me to remember and remind myself that I have access to a lot more tools today than I did a year ago or even six months ago, and develop an intentional habit of using those tools as soon as I suspect I might need them.

 

Because it's important to be able to look back on a day like Monday and realize that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, or as bad as it actually was just a year or so ago. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

One of the things my therapist and I talked about on Tuesday was the importance and benefits of having access to what she calls "a versatile toolbox" for managing anxiety. Using lifting to manage it is awesome, but if that is the only tool I have, then I'm screwed if I lose access to it for any reason, so I need to have other tools as well. It's also important that I view these other tools as legitimate measures in their own right instead of an emergency fallback to use only when "the real thing" isn't available. She also wants me to remember and remind myself that I have access to a lot more tools today than I did a year ago or even six months ago, and develop an intentional habit of using those tools as soon as I suspect I might need them.

 

Makes sense, and she sounds very sensible. Also, I agree on the irreplaceableness of chocolate.

  • Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

 

Makes sense, and she sounds very sensible. Also, I agree on the irreplaceableness of chocolate.

 

 I actually had a brief moment of terror earlier this week, when I thought that I was completely out of chocolate. :D 

 

Eating chocolate is in the anxiety tool box, so to be without it naturally prompted anxiety. Thankfully, disaster was prevented by Husband, who reminded me that I had moved the chocolate stash to a different shelf in the pantry. Phew!

  • Like 3

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Because it's important to be able to look back on a day like Monday and realize that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, or as bad as it actually was just a year or so ago. 

This is great :) and yes, very very important!

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

 I actually had a brief moment of terror earlier this week, when I thought that I was completely out of chocolate. :D 

 

I had a terrible moment today when I wasn't sure if I had enough chocolate for me and my brother tonight, plus for me tomorrow. I texted my brother and he is bringing dark truffles. Earth destroying meteor averted.

 

21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Eating chocolate is in the anxiety tool box, so to be without it naturally prompted anxiety. Thankfully, disaster was prevented by Husband, who reminded me that I had moved the chocolate stash to a different shelf in the pantry. Phew!

 

Heheh. Discovered chocolate might even be more joyous than expected chocolate.

  • Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

I had a terrible moment today when I wasn't sure if I had enough chocolate for me and my brother tonight, plus for me tomorrow. I texted my brother and he is bringing dark truffles. Earth destroying meteor averted.

 

I shall learn from your wise approach and plan ahead in the future.

 

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Heheh. Discovered chocolate might even be more joyous than expected chocolate.

 

It was indeed quite glorious. Not glorious enough to hide the chocolate and experience the horror of not being able to find it again. It was terrible. I think Husband might agree with me on this... he has added an unusually large amount of chocolate to this week's grocery order.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
On 1/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Don't mind sharing at all. :) 

 

I think it was @Mistr who initially helped me realize, back in the spring of 2020 (wow, does time fly...)  that one of the most important aspects of commuting to and from work is that the brain uses the commute to shift gears to and from Work Mode. And because I have learned from the Nagoski sisters' book that switching gears in the brain is triggered by physical actions, not by thoughts and will power, I took Mistr's advice and created habits/routines before work and after work ends, to make it easier for my brain to close down the work apps and open the My Time Is Mine Again apps, and vice versa.

 

I think the most effective thing I have done is give myself an actual commute, though obviously it is a very short in-house commute since work is in my house now. I set up my home office in the upstairs guest room that we never use for anything else, so when I go up the stairs I go to work. When I go down the stairs, I leave work.

 

I also make sure to turn off my work computer at the end of my shift, and tidy up my work space. That becomes another signal to the brain that we are done with work now. In the mornings, booting the work computer, logging in to the VPN and filling my water cup, etc, all act as signals that it's time to go to work now. I also dress for work - not as formal as I did when I went into the office, but i put on my dressy/nice jeans, a nice top, and do my hair and makeup. After work, I change into comfy sweat pants and one of the t-shirts that would make HR cringe, and spend 15-30 minutes having "quiet time" in my dragon cave to complete the gear shifting process.

 

Thank you! I'm hoping to have upstairs/downstairs separation for my workspace soon - right now we have a flat and just two rooms for four jobs (living, working, gym, and a bunch of packed boxes). I also like the idea of a separate work computer - maybe I can make a separate work log in on my laptop. 

 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Scaly Freak said:

The chicken wings fill a completely different of giving me an creative outlet and the chance to actually create something that someone else appreciates. Cooking has been one of the most effective ways for me to destress for years, and that was one of the reasons losing my kitchen to water damage in the summer of 2020 was so devastating to me. 

 

To me, trying to replace lifting as an anxiety management tool is a little bit like completely removing chocolate from one's diet and then try to replace it with other treats/desserts: It just doesn't work that way.

 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with caramel, strawberries, snickerdoodle, lemon cake, or whatever else can be eaten instead of chocolate. Of course not.  But they are not chocolate. And the moment you eat a piece of chocolate again you immediately realize what you missed and just how much you missed it. 

 

 

I missed that you made the chicken wings (I think my brain honed in on the word "delivered" and missed that it was from your kitchen!). I'm glad you have another effective de-stressing strategy that has a different mechanism. And thank you for the well-thought out answer to my flippant question - I was just enjoying the juxtaposition between chicken wings and barbells 😆

 

Summer 2020 must have really sucked between losing the kitchen and I'm guessing your gym access, too. 

 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Scaly Freak said:

One of the things my therapist and I talked about on Tuesday was the importance and benefits of having access to what she calls "a versatile toolbox" for managing anxiety. Using lifting to manage it is awesome, but if that is the only tool I have, then I'm screwed if I lose access to it for any reason, so I need to have other tools as well. It's also important that I view these other tools as legitimate measures in their own right instead of an emergency fallback to use only when "the real thing" isn't available. She also wants me to remember and remind myself that I have access to a lot more tools today than I did a year ago or even six months ago, and develop an intentional habit of using those tools as soon as I suspect I might need them.

 

Because it's important to be able to look back on a day like Monday and realize that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, or as bad as it actually was just a year or so ago. 

 

Your therapist sounds great. I like the idea of having multiple approaches that aren't ranked (e.g., in terms of there effectiveness or how much you enjoy them). I imagine that otherwise, the "replacements" will probably have some resentment associated with them.

 

The gradual improvements over time are so important to remember - progress isn't linear, and an overall upward trend makes a big difference. 

 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Heheh. Discovered chocolate might even be more joyous than expected chocolate.

 

This reminds me of one of my husband's favourite phrases: "Oooh, unexpected tea!"

 

 

  • Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Thank you! I'm hoping to have upstairs/downstairs separation for my workspace soon - right now we have a flat and just two rooms for four jobs (living, working, gym, and a bunch of packed boxes). I also like the idea of a separate work computer - maybe I can make a separate work log in on my laptop. 

 

I don't have a choice in that matter. Because of the type of information I handle at work, I would get into the kind of trouble that damages job security, if I tried to use my personal computer for work tasks. Which suits me just fine, since that makes it easier to separate work and not-work. ;) 

 

8 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Summer 2020 must have really sucked between losing the kitchen and I'm guessing your gym access, too. 

 

Summer 2020 sucked for so many reasons I'm going to stop talking about it now. It was bad.

 

8 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I imagine that otherwise, the "replacements" will probably have some resentment associated with them.

 

They do. I've come to realize this is why I struggle to work out from home as well. I see it as an inferior option that I use only when I have to, and that of course causes resentment and a complete lack of wanting to do the workouts, and of course it makes them not enjoyable. Since I am taking a break from the gym, again, until the current variant slows down, I am working on finding a way to work out at home, that is completely different from what I do at the gym, in the hopes this will make it easier to appreciate my home workouts for what they are, rather than resent them for what they are not. :) 

  • Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I don't have a choice in that matter. Because of the type of information I handle at work, I would get into the kind of trouble that damages job security, if I tried to use my personal computer for work tasks. Which suits me just fine, since that makes it easier to separate work and not-work. ;) 

 

 

Ah that makes sense - I'm lucky that I don't work with any sensitive data. At least needing a separate machine helps you, too! 

 

50 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

They do. I've come to realize this is why I struggle to work out from home as well. I see it as an inferior option that I use only when I have to, and that of course causes resentment and a complete lack of wanting to do the workouts, and of course it makes them not enjoyable. Since I am taking a break from the gym, again, until the current variant slows down, I am working on finding a way to work out at home, that is completely different from what I do at the gym, in the hopes this will make it easier to appreciate my home workouts for what they are, rather than resent them for what they are not. :) 

 

I'll be interested to see what strategies you find since I'm still figuring out this whole working out from home too. If you want something completely different you could join us on the GMB Elements train - I promise it's nothing like deadlifts 😆. I'm sure there are lots of cool options out there, though! 

  • Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment
On 1/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I actually had a brief moment of terror earlier this week, when I thought that I was completely out of chocolate. :D 

 

Eating chocolate is in the anxiety tool box, so to be without it naturally prompted anxiety. Thankfully, disaster was prevented by Husband, who reminded me that I had moved the chocolate stash to a different shelf in the pantry. Phew!

 

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It was indeed quite glorious. Not glorious enough to hide the chocolate and experience the horror of not being able to find it again. It was terrible. I think Husband might agree with me on this... he has added an unusually large amount of chocolate to this week's grocery order.

 

I recognize this feeling. Last year when supply chains were bad, Dumbledore approved me buying over a pound of 100% Callebaut chocolate from the co-op. I recently bought myself quite a lot of chocolate in several flavors and degrees of sweetness because it makes me feel more secure to have it on hand.

 

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 I've come to realize this is why I struggle to work out from home as well. I see it as an inferior option that I use only when I have to, and that of course causes resentment and a complete lack of wanting to do the workouts, and of course it makes them not enjoyable. Since I am taking a break from the gym, again, until the current variant slows down, I am working on finding a way to work out at home, that is completely different from what I do at the gym, in the hopes this will make it easier to appreciate my home workouts for what they are, rather than resent them for what they are not. :) 

 

I encourage you to find types of exercise you can enjoy doing at home. I have found that I prefer doing yoga by myself from a video. I can pause the video and do a longer stretch when I feel like I need it. The yoga classes I have been to were not particularly helpful for improving my form or teaching new movements. Mostly they just made me feel less coordinated than the other people in class.

 

I understand that working out from home is its own thing and not a substitute for the gym. I really miss the strength-and-cardio class I used to do at lunchtime at work. That got me moving in a way that I just don't do on my own. I hope that gym classes start up again about the same time that I go back to working in the office. Same for aikido. That absolutely requires other humans. I am really glad the dojo is staying open during this current surge, at least for some classes.

  • Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Alanna said:

This reminds me of one of my husband's favourite phrases: "Oooh, unexpected tea!"

 

Where does he get unexpected tea? I wish I had unexpected tea. It sounds great. Like tea, but better.

  • Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Alanna said:

I'll be interested to see what strategies you find since I'm still figuring out this whole working out from home too. If you want something completely different you could join us on the GMB Elements train - I promise it's nothing like deadlifts 😆. I'm sure there are lots of cool options out there, though! 

 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I encourage you to find types of exercise you can enjoy doing at home. I have found that I prefer doing yoga by myself from a video. I can pause the video and do a longer stretch when I feel like I need it. The yoga classes I have been to were not particularly helpful for improving my form or teaching new movements. Mostly they just made me feel less coordinated than the other people in class.

 

My insights on what was missing in my home workouts came after one of the walks with Husband during which we, as usual, talked about important things, because doing that while walking seems to really help. I remembered using Darebee workouts a lot during business trips in the Before Times, so I went back to their website and looked at their RPG Fitness programs.

 

I started Spellbound yesterday, and am pleased to report that super setting reverse lunges with backwards leg raises does indeed hit all the important leg muscles. The DOMS are mild but noticeable this afternoon, and since my goal is to continue to build muscle strength, I'm actually happy about DOMs since that tells me which muscles were targeted and also that they got a good workout.

 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I recognize this feeling. Last year when supply chains were bad, Dumbledore approved me buying over a pound of 100% Callebaut chocolate from the co-op. I recently bought myself quite a lot of chocolate in several flavors and degrees of sweetness because it makes me feel more secure to have it on hand.

 

A chocolate emergency stash!?! 🤯

 

Louis Litt Genius GIF by Suits

  • Like 4

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Where does he get unexpected tea? I wish I had unexpected tea. It sounds great. Like tea, but better.

 

Super secret recipe for making Unexpected Tea:

 

Spoiler

1) Make tea.

2) Drink about half.

3) Do something else for about an hour or two.

4) Realise you still have tea. 

5) Be joyful because there is more tea.

 

(Spoiler: it's cold tea that you've forgotten about - but he gets excited every time. I think it's a British thing.)

 

42 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I started Spellbound yesterday, and am pleased to report that super setting reverse lunges with backwards leg raises does indeed hit all the important leg muscles. The DOMS are mild but noticeable this afternoon, and since my goal is to continue to build muscle strength, I'm actually happy about DOMs since that tells me which muscles were targeted and also that they got a good workout.

 

That sounds fun! And it looks very different from Greyskull, so hopefully it serves as a good addition to the toolbox. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines