Dry January Adventure Party 2022

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I also get anxiety. Apparently it has something to do with increasing GABA, a calming neurotransmitter, the receptors for which are then downregulated in response. Which can lead to increased anxiety both long and short term, I think.

I tried to do some reading on whether or not this was really a thing (you know, because I wasn't sure if it was all in my head) and was struggling to find actual info. So I appreciate this, it'll give me some direction on where to look! 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I tried to do some reading on whether or not this was really a thing (you know, because I wasn't sure if it was all in my head) and was struggling to find actual info. So I appreciate this, it'll give me some direction on where to look! 

David Nutt's book Drink has all the info in a non judgemental way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Mentioning @Salinger who is also doing dry jan, so it pops up in notifications ❤️

• Like 3

Yay! Love to see the adventure party growing!!

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Went to my besties for board games and everyone else was drinking, I packed myself a bcaa shaker and had that when everyone was having their first drink. Part way in someone asked me if I’m not drinking at all and I mentioned I knew a few people doing dry jan and that I was sticking with it in solidarity for now. Chalk up a success and pour me a round of tea~ read suicide squad GIF

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 4
3 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Went to my besties for board games and everyone else was drinking, I packed myself a bcaa shaker and had that when everyone was having their first drink. Part way in someone asked me if I’m not drinking at all and I mentioned I knew a few people doing dry jan and that I was sticking with it in solidarity for now. Chalk up a success and pour me a round of tea~ read suicide squad GIF

Well done! That is playing dry January on challenging mode. Sticking to it while everyone else around you is drinking is a huge win!

• Thanks 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Is this our first weekend of DJ? I think so (hard to keep track of dates and days of week before school starts up). Inadvertently made easier here by campus pub being closed down, so while I did go to the uni to get some work done today, there was no question of stopping by the pub afterwards as I would normally do on a Friday. And at home, hubby knows not to offer me a post-work cocktail because he heard me talking it up on the radio, lol.

Anyway, just cuddled up on the couch, watching the snow come down, and reading book for tomorrow’s book club.  That is also usually a liquor filled affair, but tomorrow we’re meeting virtually bc omicron, so should be easy to stay sober! 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Feeling tough today!

got some alcohol free beers for tonight x

Oh that’s a good idea to grab when I go to the store tomorrow. 

Struggling a little bit today but I still don’t have stuff in the house so I’ll get through it. (Technically my BF’s beers are in the fridge but I don’t like them so it’s easy to mentally mark as “not mine, does not exist”)

• Like 4

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Feeling tough today!

got some alcohol free beers for tonight x

Clever work around!

• Like 1

Forgot about dry january for a minute last night and took two sips of wine, then put it away because I wasn't even enjoying it, and only then remembered Dry January. I think two sips doesn't count and I'm still good.

• Like 6

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Forgot about dry january for a minute last night and took two sips of wine, then put it away because I wasn't even enjoying it, and only then remembered Dry January. I think two sips doesn't count and I'm still good.

I would agree. Two accidental sips doesn’t count.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

8 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I would agree. Two accidental sips doesn’t count.

Adding my vote too, for what it’s worth 😂 

• Like 1

First day back at work and I have already volunteered for an hour and had my feathers ruffled by a sassy email. No wonder I was so heavy on the drinking wagon. Need some better coping strategies, yet when I self-suggested yoga or going for a run (both part of my actual challenge goals) to shake it off I got madder. Still haven’t drank about it, but in a huff.

• Like 5

Still going strong, though there is a bit of a nasty side-effect. I find drinking tea during the day time works pretty good. But in the evening i resort to diet soda's. I just need something else then tea or water. And the caffeine in the diet coke is making me want to stay up all evening, which get's really hard when you want to start your work day at 7.

Thankfully i am now working from home and i decided to start at 8. But still. I need to find something else.

But also, i'm celebrating being 1/3's in for the month!

YAY Everyone!

High Five GIFs - 110 Animated Images of This Gesture

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

... a little odd in the head ...

On 1/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Still going strong, though there is a bit of a nasty side-effect. I find drinking tea during the day time works pretty good. But in the evening i resort to diet soda's. I just need something else then tea or water. And the caffeine in the diet coke is making me want to stay up all evening, which get's really hard when you want to start your work day at 7.

Thankfully i am now working from home and i decided to start at 8. But still. I need to find something else.

But also, i'm celebrating being 1/3's in for the month!

YAY Everyone!

There's gotta be diet soda without caffeine, right? There's only caffeine in colas, no? What about a lovely diet rhubarb thingy. That's what I want. Rhubarb.

Well, a new acquaintance came over for dinner with wine and I broke my dry January. I slept poorly and was flat and ambitionless the entire next day. It was a mistake, and not even a very enjoyable one. Nothing for it except to go straight back to not drinking.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Well, a new acquaintance came over for dinner with wine and I broke my dry January. I slept poorly and was flat and ambitionless the entire next day. It was a mistake, and not even a very enjoyable one. Nothing for it except to go straight back to not drinking.

A good bit of info for sure (the effect). I find it hard to pinpoint positives that come from not drinking… until I drink and then the negatives pop up. I didn’t notice them leaving, but obviously they went if they are returning…

• Like 3

Day 13 here, still dry. Maybe the longest ive been alcohol free for a LONG time. 

Im not an 'every day' drinker but im a huge binge drinker unfortunatley. And definitely 1/2 times a week i can sink 10 pints easy eeeeek. 

Got through the weekend with some alcohol free beers on the Friday night, my girlfriend was drinking and i STILL stayed dry, which is a big achievement. (she is very supportive and cheering me on even though she broke DJ early haha)

Its been a stressful few days with my mental health but feeling good about waking up fresh/clear to tackle my demons. 

Hope everyone is doing well?x

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 5
8 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

A good bit of info for sure (the effect). I find it hard to pinpoint positives that come from not drinking… until I drink and then the negatives pop up. I didn’t notice them leaving, but obviously they went if they are returning…

Well exactly. Since I used to drink most days, I didn't even have a great baseline idea of what good sleep should be like.

21 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Day 13 here, still dry. Maybe the longest ive been alcohol free for a LONG time. 

Im not an 'every day' drinker but im a huge binge drinker unfortunatley. And definitely 1/2 times a week i can sink 10 pints easy eeeeek. 

Got through the weekend with some alcohol free beers on the Friday night, my girlfriend was drinking and i STILL stayed dry, which is a big achievement. (she is very supportive and cheering me on even though she broke DJ early haha)

Its been a stressful few days with my mental health but feeling good about waking up fresh/clear to tackle my demons. 

Hope everyone is doing well?x

Great job, Salinger! You're doing splendidly ❤️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Great job Salinger! Especially amazing job staying dry while your girlfriend had a few.

Those non-alcoholic beers are really helpful. (I get the hoppy taste I want… And I  can stop after 1)

Same here on the alcohol free record. I’m guessing this is longest stretch for me in 7 to 8 years. Though before this challenge I was definitely an every day drinker. Averaging 3 beers a day… sometimes more on weekends.

I notice that I’m waking up clearer headed. Also feel more productive in the evenings. But otherwise I haven’t noticed other benefits yet.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 4

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

16 minutes ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Great job Salinger! Especially amazing job staying dry while your girlfriend had a few.

Those non-alcoholic beers are really helpful. (I get the hoppy taste I want… And I  can stop after 1)

Same here on the alcohol free record. I’m guessing this is longest stretch for me in 7 to 8 years. Though before this challenge I was definitely an every day drinker. Averaging 3 beers a day… sometimes more on weekends.

I notice that I’m waking up clearer headed. Also feel more productive in the evenings. But otherwise I haven’t noticed other benefits yet.

Thanks Rebel. ❤️

well done to you also, thats amazing. Really cool!!!!

There is a lot of football on lately and so i would generally be drinking 3/4 times a week if i was sinking a few whilst the match is on. 

So, its a big thing to NOT be. !! We are all doing great :) x

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3
21 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Amazing work! From 3 a day to zero is a major change. I used to have 3 glasses of wine per day, and it was disconcerting to me to learn that I might be damaging my liver even at that amount, and causing or worsening my anxiety as well as robbing myself of quality sleep. I don't think I ever want to go back to drinking that much.

• Like 3

Mr ordered booze to be delivered and sweetly ordered me some. Order was cancelled coz they didn’t have a delivery driver so he had to reorder and remembered the second time that I am doing dry jan and didn’t order me anything. Thanks, universe!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Amazing work! From 3 a day to zero is a major change. I used to have 3 glasses of wine per day, and it was disconcerting to me to learn that I might be damaging my liver even at that amount, and causing or worsening my anxiety as well as robbing myself of quality sleep. I don't think I ever want to go back to drinking that much.

Thank you! Not having it in the house helps. Also the support here on this thread is key. Definitely a huge factor in keeping on the wagon when the temptation starts. 💖

I agree with not wanting to go back to the same amount. Planning to keep to just occasionally on weekends when I do reintegrate. 

• Like 4