Dry January Adventure Party 2022

8 hours ago, Salinger said:

How is everyone doing? Im at day 14....but it is Friday and im craving a beer. 

Will do my absolute best to stick with alcohol free ones tonight x

You can do it!!! Saturday here and feeling a bit of the same BUT! We are halfway there! We can keep this train rolling 🚂 

• Like 2

Two weeks left!! How is everyone feeling?

• Like 3

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Not having it in the house definitely helps, I mostly seem to have forgotten about it. I HAVE had a massive up-spike in other ‘sweet drinks’ which are an old enemy that is always waiting for an excuse to get its claws back in me. I am refocusing for the remainder of this challenge, minimal sweet drinks.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Aquarii said:

4 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Not having it in the house definitely helps, I mostly seem to have forgotten about it. I HAVE had a massive up-spike in other ‘sweet drinks’ which are an old enemy that is always waiting for an excuse to get its claws back in me. I am refocusing for the remainder of this challenge, minimal sweet drinks.

So far so good! Seconding the helpfulness of "not having it in the house". Though the non-alcoholic beers are very helpful on weekends.

My sweet tooth for chocolates and other snacks has been running a bit wild though....

This group has been so helpful - the feeling that we're in it together and everything. ❤️

• Like 3

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

20 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Been to watch the football tonight with a mate, round at his. Thats definitely a time I would be drinking lots. 

Stayed sober, drove there and back. Home now with a tea :) x

Way to go Sal! Enjoy your tea ~

Youre The Best I Love You GIF by Jelene

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

On 1/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, Salinger said:

How is everyone doing? Im at day 14....but it is Friday and im craving a beer. 

So far, so good! Nearly 3 weeks now. Pubs etc are all closed down here, of course, and no indoor socializing outside of one’s own household (and it’s -15C out, so outdoor socializing is not really in the cards)— so I’m playing this one on easy mode. But not quite as easy as last January when hubs was doing DJ too! I have a little longing glance at his post-work glass of vino, though nothing I haven’t been able to handle.

• Like 3

Oops, I had one more drink. I was at a cooking class with my brother last weekend and it was a bit special--we just had one with the awesome meal we cooked. So I guess that's two wet days in my dry February, 😅. But I got straight back to not drinking to the next day, so I'm feeling pretty cool about my emotional freedom from alcohol at the moment. Used to be I would feel a struggle to choose whether to have some or not every. single. evening. And try to say no would be hard every damned time. Now I don't really think about it unless I'm very specifically tempted/cued.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Well done @Harriet proud of you!

Im into day 22..... Saturday though. But lets do this!!!!! x

Alright. I'll drink water on Saturday if you do 😊 The disappointment will only last a minute after we've made the decision, and then we'll forget all about it and just have a nice evening.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Wow ... last night i bought proper beers, put them in the fridge, organised to hit the town with some mates. But ended up drinking 2 AF beers, 1 cup of tea and watching a film, bed by 11.30pm 

Close call.... 

Day 23.... 

Flower Flex GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Can you give away, hide, or otherwise make those beers not tempting? Trunk of the car maybe? Something so you don’t have to see them every time you open the fridge. You are doing so good!!!

———

Today was hanging out at the besties and Mr bought delivery beers and seltzer’s, they both had some but I stuck with the water. Easier coz I was going to drive and I’d rather be on zero even though I’m technically allowed to have had one. Came real close when we got home and still had four seltzer’s, but have told myself I can have them next week once I’ve finished the dry month thru to the end.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

Rough work week last week and another rough one coming up ahead. I managed to restrain myself and buy only AF beers for me. And even though I finished all 6 of them between Friday and Saturday…. Still holding strong. 21 days. Just a few more to go.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Rough work week last week and another rough one coming up ahead. I managed to restrain myself and buy only AF beers for me. And even though I finished all 6 of them between Friday and Saturday…. Still holding strong. 21 days. Just a few more to go.

Way to go... you can DO IT xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ended up breaking my streak yesterday, but I'm counting it as at least a partial win. We celebrated the baby's 3rd birthday yesterday and had family over for dinner. My dad made the statement he should have brought over a bottle of wine, but we happened to have the last bottle we bought (out of 4 purchased in November). He didn't want to drink "my wine" (his words, not mine) so I had two glasses with him. It 100% broke my streak, but it also got rid of the last of the wine in the house. This just means that breaking my streak going forward means actually having to buy wine, which is a lot more work.

I also noticed that, while I definitely struggled to sleep after having alcohol, I didn't have the anxiety that I've experienced with beer. Does anyone else feel that different types of alcohol affect them differently?

• Like 2
On 1/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, Sylvaa said:

I also noticed that, while I definitely struggled to sleep after having alcohol, I didn't have the anxiety that I've experienced with beer. Does anyone else feel that different types of alcohol affect them differently?

Definitely. Especially the difference between wine and other alcohols, but I feel like each alcohol affects me a little differently than the others. 

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

We are down to the last week, y’all!! We are in the home stretch. How is everyone feeling? What have been some of your favorite benefits of an AF month?

• Like 2

I’m still AF AF! 

Boy, this has been a long month. It’s a little hard to disentangle the challenge of doing DJ from Pandemic Month 23 malaise! But OK, things to appreciate about it: 

1. If I notice in the evening my (Apple Watch) activity rings aren’t closed yet, I can just jump on the rower and take care of that

2. Clear head for Wordle in the evening with kid #2

3. I’ve been sleeping like a ROCK

4. Not waking up with headaches

5. Pretty sure I’m happier, and less anxious, than if I were still drinking. 

6. I’ll take a sense of control and accomplishment anywhere I can find it. Success builds on success, and if I can crush DJ, surely in February I can get serious about other goals, like sculpting some abs. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Other than Jan 1st I’ve done every day dry so far!

1. Saving money. Both in not buying alcohol. And not impulse purchasing things online. Still doing a bit of online purchases, but I think it over a few days to decide if I really need/want the new thing. Most of the time I just end up writing it down as a “maybe later”.
  2. Feeling very accomplished! Have tried “cutting back” numerous times in the past only to open the floodgates after “maybe I’ll just have one”. 
  3. Feeling better/more clear in the mornings. I’m still not a morning person (that’s for a future challenge ;)) but I definitely feel better.
  4. Also more productive in the evenings! Especially with cooking/cleaning up after cooking right away. 
  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Still dry and today was the day I was a little worried about. It was a public holiday and one of the main features of much of the events etc is basically binge drinking. It’s a Wednesday, I’m doing dry January and we drove. All these factors meant I had zero rather than opening up the gates and possibly losing control.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Everyone is just crushing it!!

My favorite benefits are that I feel like I have more time, especially on the weekends, no hangovers, and a better sleep schedule. 

• Like 2

Day 30 here too 😅 I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t miss the booze AT ALL if others around me (ahem, hubs) weren’t drinking. I can be just fine, merrily minding my business but then when S pours out a glass of wine I still get that twinge ‘ooh that’d be nice’. Now he tells me that he’s probably going to do dry FEBRUARY.  My DJ would have been SO FRICKING EASY if he had joined me then, why wait til now to join in?! Two ships that cross in the night 😂 

• Like 1