Defining's 2022 ABC's : A Breath of Confidence - Ch1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, Jupiter said:

I'm sorry. :( Hope you feel better. 

Feeling a bit better!

Still didn't get much done today, but I am no longer crying after driving for 5min, so I'll take it.

____________  ____________
Jan 27 - Whatever you are, be a good one. - William Makepeace Thackeray

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I go from zero to 'pissed off' much more quickly these days. That sucks, I can see myself doing it and still can't actually stop it. 

I am still stymied on the job front. Have been exploring remote options, and while there are a handful I can apply for right away, there are a TON more that require additional credentials and/or experience. :( 

Jan 28 - Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever. - Keri Russell

Sorry the job situation is frustrating. How long would it take you to get the credentials? Is there a way you could work on those and find a job you don't hate to do at  while you earn them?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, Defining said:

Have been exploring remote options, and while there are a handful I can apply for right away, there are a TON more that require additional credentials and/or experience. :( 

What I am told is that, among the various studies related to why there is a glass ceiling and so on, someone turned up the trend that women apply for jobs if they meet every criteria meticulously, while men apply if they meet half the criteria.

It's hard to know whether that's a chicken or an egg, given that historically (and depending on the industry) women have had to demonstrate higher competence than men to be taken equally seriously as a candidate, but it is also true that a workplace would often rather train the right fit, if they have the basics.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

a workplace would often rather train the right fit, if they have the basics.

Seconding this. Job listings are describing "the ideal candidate" but a lot of companies are really just looking for someone who can get the work done in an acceptable fashion. If you find a job you like, apply for it.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Is there a way you could work on those and find a job you don't hate to do at  while you earn them?

Credentials would be an undergraduate degree, and/or 2-5yrs of experience in an entirely different industry. Yes, I could definitely find SOMETHING to tide me over, but not without making major lifestyle sacrifices (mostly to do with time around people and less time with dogs). Even that would be worth it maybe, if the jobs themselves weren't 'filler' options, that just look like a stop-gap measure in and of themselves.

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

it is also true that a workplace would often rather train the right fit, if they have the basics.

16 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Job listings are describing "the ideal candidate" but a lot of companies are really just looking for someone who can get the work done in an acceptable fashion. 

100%, I'm all over applying for stuff just outside my wheelhouse! These are more along the lines of 'don't have the industry experience, don't have the degree, don't have the portfolio examples' though. While I do have the SKILLS, I have no proof thereof. There's stretching, and then there's just straight up wasting time because any sensible recruiter would reject my CV in the first round. :P

Pain levels were somewhat improved today, and it was nice outside. I ate mostly like an adult, and did some basic physical movement. I'm gonna call that a good day. 

Jan 29 - There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle. - Deepak Chopra

• Like 2

I keep chickening out/talking myself out of new career ideas. The biggest hurdles have been about making major lifestyle compromises (in terms of daily scheduling, not for income - money isn't a big driver), not having any upward mobility long-term, and/or thinking that many jobs will come down to the same sticking points (namely: dealing with people, and relying on others to do their jobs properly in order to accomplish my own tasks). It's really hard to get excited about trying something new if I'm already anticipating the same shit in a different sandwich.

I've also really stalled with my decluttering. I want to blame it on my mum sticking her nose in every 2s, but it's probably not reasonable to not take some responsibility myself. Part of the process is supposed to be imagining what you want your space/daily routines/life to look like as well, and I'm just really struggling with that part due to feeling untethered in terms of long-term work/housing choices. It's like a terrible ouroboros of indecision!

Food has been.... well, lazy. Fail, for both meal prepping AND eating the things I've prepped. It's not that there's anything wrong with the food, it's just more thought than I want to put into it still (even with the plan/menu/grocery list all made simple). Protein shakes are an easy default right now, and I'm going to give myself a pass with that. Gotta go with what I'll actually do, not with what I want to want to do.

Physio stuff is stagnant, but with a few new things to try we'll see how it goes. I've also been doing the bare minimum to call it 'a workout' for my checklists. But I guess better a little than none at all? Bedtime alarm is.... sometimes effective. Breathwork hasn't changed anything, but my physio asked me to do it for stuff totally independent of my own goals anyway, so it doesn't hurt to carry on. I'm going to rank my performance this challenge at a solid 3/7. 

tumblr_o5xlj9pWbY1tq4of6o1_250.gif.e04cb3fcc32e0ddaabb378830a26ce5f.gif

Feb 01 - If you can't change your fate, change your attitude. - Amy Tan

Feb 02 - knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. - James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Defining said:

I keep chickening out/talking myself out of new career ideas. The biggest hurdles have been about making major lifestyle compromises (in terms of daily scheduling, not for income - money isn't a big driver), not having any upward mobility long-term, and/or thinking that many jobs will come down to the same sticking points (namely: dealing with people, and relying on others to do their jobs properly in order to accomplish my own tasks). It's really hard to get excited about trying something new if I'm already anticipating the same shit in a different sandwich.

Yeah, I feel you. Have you considered trying some kind of freelance work? 

1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Yeah, I feel you. Have you considered trying some kind of freelance work? 

I have indeed! But freelance work is essentially just going out to get individual jobs, to work for a lump sum (most of the time). Which is more or less what I already do; the biggest difference would be smaller paychecks, and therefore more jobs, albeit also smaller. If there was a freelance option that I'm qualified for that I'd actually ENJOY, it'd be a bit different. But I don't know of any, and haven't yet found any options like that in my search.

My body has randomly decided that all food makes me get heartburn and cramp up at the same time - while ALSO telling me that I'm hungry all the time. It's great.

Feb 03 - Beauty endures only for as long as it can be seen; goodness, beautiful today, will remain so tomorrow. - Sappho

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 5:29 AM, Defining said:

Sorry about the stagnation. It's useful that you've identified the points about your job that are annoying. Surely it can't be true that all jobs would have the exact same degree of problems in these areas?  But I wonder... if money is not a big driver, can you find a position that allows you to work, say, four days a week instead of five? To have more time and energy for non-job life?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

But I wonder... if money is not a big driver, can you find a position that allows you to work, say, four days a week instead of five? To have more time and energy for non-job life?

I totally could! But TBH all of the options I've been looking at are remote/work-from-home. That's the aspect I'm not willing to compromise on. I'd be ok to go into the office once in a while if needed, but I don't want a regular multi-day commitment to be in a physical space every week. Even 6 days a week would be tolerable to me, with the option to avoid commuting and office stupidity.

Ironically, it looks like the faster option would be to set up my own YT channel/website to show my ability to write and manage social media and SEO. 😂 All roads lead back to.... blargh.

Feb 04 - Memories of our lives, of our works, and our deeds will continue in others. - Rosa Parks

EDIT: Just a note for myself for later, to ponder on: "Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Defining said:

Ironically, it looks like the faster option would be to set up my own YT channel/website to show my ability to write and manage social media and SEO. 😂 All roads lead back to.... blargh.

Oh yeah, working from home could save energy that's needed for the non-work part of life. What's SEO?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh yeah, working from home could save energy that's needed for the non-work part of life. What's SEO?

I already work from home, I'm just not willing to regress to 'going into work'. SEO = Search Engine Optimisation, mostly for websites and online content.

Was chatting about stuff with a friend this morning, and he was like 'you can do whatever thing you choose, why are you so stressed?'. We went to school with each other for 6yrs, and have known one another since we were 12, so that's a really nice sentiment from someone with a reasonably accurate understanding of my abilities. But that statement still makes me stressed. I still feel like I've just coasted through virtually any 'challenging' experiences/education in my past; and any time I've felt like I couldn't coast, I just quit. So I don't share that same confidence. And hearing it just makes me feel like a fraud, since I've never really WORKED at something. I'm not even sure I'd know how to start working at something....

Feb 05 - Cease to inquire what the future has in store, and take as a gift whatever the day brings forth. - Horace

Also, 10% of the year has passed!

• Like 1

Probably not going to have the time/energy to check in tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on what worked & what didn't this challenge, and what I need/want to do for the next challenge. Had a nice day visiting with friends, and I didn't realise how much I missed that until I realised how long it's been since I did it!

Feb 06 - When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. - Audre Lorde (Audrey Geraldine Lorde)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, Defining said:

I'm not even sure I'd know how to start working at something....

Well, the only way to really know I think is just to do it. 

• Defining changed the title to Defining's 2022 ABC's : A Breath of Confidence - Ch1

I relate sooo much to your career concerns and getting stuck in thinking loops that lead to nowhere.

7 hours ago, Defining said:

Well if that isn't 

508627652_200(2).gif.2c250d5b0bedd1416827ffbe78e1f854.gif

I don't know what is! ;) 💞

Have you seen this website? https://www.careershifters.org/ 

Their model is basically that taking a quiz or thinking yourself out of your situation never works, you simply have to try it for yourself. What they suggest is talking to a lot of people, interviewing people in positions you might be considering, work shadowing but most importantly doing short experiments and following your curiosity. A lot of the content resonated with me because they describe the feeling of being stuck really well. I'll admit I didn't actually try any of their strategies, they do require you to get out of your comfort zone so you need be in an ok enough headspace. But they make a lot of sense to me. And if nothing else there's lots of examples of how people approached career change, maybe it could give you some ideas. Sometimes they have free webinars too where they get into the process in more detail.

• Like 2