Dammit, Sara Kingdom, I'm a doctor, not a challenge designer.

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Daystar time is out, I'm still shedding epidermis from our last run-in.

Alas, the outer coating is necessary for keeping things in, and keeping other things out. I hear it can adjust to elemental insults with gradual repeated exposures, though.

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I should do some yoga, and, like, other stuff. It's a push. I don't even want to do fun things. This is one of those days where, left to my own devices, I'd do a mental health sick day and just lie in bed and sleep when possible. Every don't-wanna gets treated as the need for rest.

The mouse is demonstrating sickness behaviour. Perhaps it is inflamed, or overtrained.

22 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The world would be better if there were more bacon in it. Specifically the bit of it in front of me.

Bacon Bouquet GIF

Very nice. I wish someone would gift me this bouquet.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Alas, the outer coating is necessary for keeping things in, and keeping other things out. I hear it can adjust to elemental insults with gradual repeated exposures, though.

The latter is something of an old wives tale, at least so far as cancer risk goes. It is moderately true that you burn less.

The mouse is demonstrating sickness behaviour. Perhaps it is inflamed, or overtrained.

The mouse is definitely not overtrained, but it may be tired and only partly recovered.

Very nice. I wish someone would gift me this bouquet.

It is a very thoughtful bouquet.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 4 Day 3

Today I followed all of Dr McCoy's prescriptions:

• Vitamin D
  • Vulcan meditation

talking star trek GIF

But it took all day. My brain was not braining. So tired.

I think I need a good list of short things to do. And lots of sleep.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 4 Day 4

A red letter day: I got eight hours of sleep last night, for the first time in at least two months. My sleep deficit is going to go down so much tomorrow.

So let's have a list of annoying jobs:

• Do an annoyingly short bit of Big Project 1
  • Do an annoyingly short bit of Big Project 2
  • Vitamin D
  • Find my laundry
  • Digital task
  • End of month paperwork job 1
  • End of month paperwork job 2
  • Like 6

Week 4 Day 5/6

My sleep deficit is down to 13 hours. This is amazing, guys. It's almost back to where I had it before the move. I can do it. (It is taking naps on top of decent nights' sleep, but I'm averaging over 6 hours a day. And lately it's closer to 8.) Under ten is an okay deficit. Under 7 is a normal amount of sleep. And I'm almost there.

I do, however, need more yoga and shit.

Happy Sleep GIF by Paper Owl Films

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am planning on doing relaxing bedtime yoga this evening. That might fit well before a nap too. ;) 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sleep first, then yoga :) 

Wait, these are the opposite advice! :D

But I do need to rethink my evening routine, because the past week has been working against good sleep habits. I held even last night, just. And even I know it's not the best quality sleep. (I probably just have to stick to my schedule harder, and take the assigned breaks when they are scheduled,  including my siesta.) 

Yoga would help, probably. Light exercise is good for sleep.

• Like 4

On 1/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, sarakingdom said:

My sleep deficit is down to 13 hours. This is amazing, guys. It's almost back to where I had it before the move. I can do it. (It is taking naps on top of decent nights' sleep, but I'm averaging over 6 hours a day. And lately it's closer to 8.) Under ten is an okay deficit. Under 7 is a normal amount of sleep. And I'm almost there.

Excellent! What if it could get to zero and stay there. Or minus seven, even? What happens with a negative sleep deficit? A sleep surplus? Do you gain extra powers? Probably not, actually, it's probably one of those horseshoe shaped graphs.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:24 AM, sarakingdom said:

But I do need to rethink my evening routine, because the past week has been working against good sleep habits. I held even last night, just. And even I know it's not the best quality sleep. (I probably just have to stick to my schedule harder, and take the assigned breaks when they are scheduled,  including my siesta.) 

Yoga would help, probably. Light exercise is good for sleep.

Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, or just low quality? Or all three?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Week 5 Day 2

My sleep deficit is just over 11 hours. Once last night is factored in tomorrow, it should drop under ten hours. Guys, I have been working on this for literally six weeks now. Amazing.

So of course I'm constantly exhausted. I want naps all the time. So many naps. Why do I only know I'm tired when I'm almost not tired? And, like, that's great and all, but I have things to do.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 5 Day 2

My sleep deficit is just over 11 hours. Once last night is factored in tomorrow, it should drop under ten hours. Guys, I have been working on this for literally six weeks now. Amazing.

So of course I'm constantly exhausted. I want naps all the time. So many naps. Why do I only know I'm tired when I'm almost not tired? And, like, that's great and all, but I have things to do.

Adrenaline has worn off. Your brain finally realizes it's safe to rest so it's not masking the symptoms of fatigue anymore. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Adrenaline has worn off. Your brain finally realizes it's safe to rest so it's not masking the symptoms of fatigue anymore. 

It is also very likely the brain is overcompensating for the lack of rest and doing the sleep version of greedily devouring everything in sight, that tends to happen to us after long periods of sleep deprivation.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

But... but... I do not like this!

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

What are you looking forward to doing when you recover?

Not even thinking about it. Just sleeping.

58 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

It is also very likely the brain is overcompensating for the lack of rest and doing the sleep version of greedily devouring everything in sight, that tends to happen to us after long periods of sleep deprivation.

I'm not really sleeping over 8 hours per day, so I can't say it's overdoing it. But it's taking every top-up available.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I want naps all the time. So many naps.

52 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm not really sleeping over 8 hours per day, so I can't say it's overdoing it. But it's taking every top-up available.

I stand by my original statement - greedily devouring every sleep opportunity in sight.  ;) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

I stand by my original statement - greedily devouring every sleep opportunity in sight.  ;) 

shark chomp GIF by Beyond Blue

5 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

shark chomp GIF by Beyond Blue

Sleep is a giant shark. 

This makes sense to me.

24 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Sleep is a giant shark. 

This makes sense to me.

The brain is a giant shark. Sleep is all the little fishies.

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 5 Day 3 Prequel

happy animation GIF by Job, Joris & Marieke

My sleep deficit is 9 hours and 15 minutes. Under ten hours.

Nice! Carry on sleeping!

The Animated Series Sleep GIF by Star Trek

• Like 1

Week 5 Day 4

Sleep deficit is still under 10 hours, just. Losing a little ground on sleep.

Massive, massive influx of brain weasels. They're apparently also taking advantage of my restedness to make up for lost time, which I was hoping would be the opposite of what would happen, cuz they've been hanging around in a gang since at least Thanksgiving.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Massive, massive influx of brain weasels. They're apparently also taking advantage of my restedness to make up for lost time, which I was hoping would be the opposite of what would happen, cuz they've been hanging around in a gang since at least Thanksgiving.

...or it is a brain weasel panic reaction to the fact that you are getting enough sleep? They recognize the threat this poses and are frantically trying to make you so restless that you become sleep deprived again, because they know that's their only chance of survival?

• Like 1