Walk to Mordor in 2022!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - Bilbo Baggins

hobbit-bilbo.gif

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2022)

Whether you have been trekking to Mordor for years or just looking to get started, you are welcome to join us at anytime.

All miles/kilometers count. You decide how you want to accumulate distance. This is your adventure!

(Frodo's journey included canoeing, horseback, and eagle-back, so anything is fair game!)

SPREADSHEET

Open the spreadsheet, click on the 'Sign Up' tab at the bottom of the page, fill in all fields labeled in yellow, and begin tracking and logging your distance in the appropriate monthly tab.

Some links that might be helpful:

Nerd Fitness Post on Walking

Eowyn Challenge an in-depth description of each stage of the trip. 

P.S. I also made a template of the spreadsheet for future years but also in case anyone wanted to copy and use on their own or for groups outside of the forums. You can find it here - just go to File --> Make a Copy

• Like 2
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Just to make sure I do this right. 😅

I fill it in with the info of current distance traveled before January 1st, 2022, correct?

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Asha Phoenix said:

Just to make sure I do this right. 😅

I fill it in with the info of current distance traveled before January 1st, 2022, correct?

It's whatever distance you had before you started using this spreadsheet. In your case, you can just copy your Total Distance Traveled from the December tab of the 2021 spreadsheet. 

@spezzy Thanks for getting the new spreadsheet set up! And on the first day of the year, too!

FYI, for the Daily Pace calcs to work as intended, you will need to change the dates in the formulas to 2022 in all of the month tabs. I'd fix it, but the cells are locked (probably a good thing to keep us from accidentally messing up the spreadsheet). Also, the dates at the top are missing in the December tab (that happened in the 2021 version as well).

• Thanks 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

19 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

It's whatever distance you had before you started using this spreadsheet. In your case, you can just copy your Total Distance Traveled from the December tab of the 2021 spreadsheet. 

@spezzy Thanks for getting the new spreadsheet set up! And on the first day of the year, too!

FYI, for the Daily Pace calcs to work as intended, you will need to change the dates in the formulas to 2022 in all of the month tabs. I'd fix it, but the cells are locked (probably a good thing to keep us from accidentally messing up the spreadsheet). Also, the dates at the top are missing in the December tab (that happened in the 2021 version as well).

Thank you!!! Fixed (and I added a note to the template that says we need to update the daily pace calc). 

Let me know if there's anywhere else you find - I copied last year's sheet, I'm not sure who originally made it (was it you? if so THANK YOU haha) so there's a chance I missed some! 

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
7 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Let me know if there's anywhere else you find - I copied last year's sheet, I'm not sure who originally made it (was it you? if so THANK YOU haha) so there's a chance I missed some! 

Thanks for the fixes! The spreadsheet predates my time on the forums. I don't know who made it, but charlomechfry was running things when I started. While I can figure out what the spreadsheet is doing, I'm not sure I would have been able to create it.

The pace calcs in the October, November, and December tabs didn't get updated last year, so they didn't get caught by your find/replace of 2021. In the Sign Up tab, the 2021 spreadsheet and forum links (Row 24) now say 2022, and the 2022 Forum link in Row 2 goes to the 2021 forum thread. Oh, and there's a weird formatting thing in Column AI of the January tab that doesn't match the rest of the sheet. Not the biggest problem, but it's going to bug me all month, lol!

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

33 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Fixed (and I added a note to the template that says we need to update the daily pace calc). 

Oh, I just thought of something else. It's two years before this will be a problem, but if you're making notes in the template, leap years need an extra day added to February. The 2020 spreadsheet is an example of that.

16 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Thanks for the fixes! The spreadsheet predates my time on the forums. I don't know who made it, but charlomechfry was running things when I started. While I can figure out what the spreadsheet is doing, I'm not sure I would have been able to create it.

The pace calcs in the October, November, and December tabs didn't get updated last year, so they didn't get caught by your find/replace of 2021. In the Sign Up tab, the 2021 spreadsheet and forum links (Row 24) now say 2022, and the 2022 Forum link in Row 2 goes to the 2021 forum thread. Oh, and there's a weird formatting thing in Column AI of the January tab that doesn't match the rest of the sheet. Not the biggest problem, but it's going to bug me all month, lol!

16 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Oh, I just thought of something else. It's two years before this will be a problem, but if you're making notes in the template, leap years need an extra day added to February. The 2020 spreadsheet is an example of that.

This is what I get for trying to do this fast and in between other things instead of just sitting down and doing it right haha!

I'll get this all sorted later today!  THANK YOU for your help :D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spezzy said:

This is what I get for trying to do this fast and in between other things instead of just sitting down and doing it right haha!

Well, the quick way should have worked on everything except the Sign Up tab except that there were still some issues in the 2021 spreadsheet.

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

I'll get this all sorted later today!  THANK YOU for your help :D

My pleasure! I actually like figuring out problems with spreadsheets and how to fix them, especially if they're well designed spreadsheets like this one.

Sorry for the delay, updated the spreadsheet :)

I will likely be adding my mileage weekly or monthly, so that's why you'll see a big number on 1/31 for me and nothing for the rest :D 

• Like 1

Already traveled to Mordor and back again, but I'm ready to give it another shot!

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Hi all, I got a bit excited and added a tab to the Walk to Mordor spreadsheet that tracks distance against the Eowyn Journey steps.

This sheet is called "Journey Progress" and fills in a box under our names for each mile stone of each day for the journey that we've completed, so we can all see exactly which part of the story we're up to. I hope it's useful to you all. I know I like seeing how far I've come so I hope you do too. 

I've only done the first part of the journey to Rivendell so far, and may keep adding the other story steps to it as and when I have the time. 

There are + and - icons on the left hand side that can be used to see more or less detail, depending on how far along you are. 

Everything in it auto-populates from the other sheets, so there's no need to update or change anything. I've left it all unlocked though, so that people can improve on it in the future if they want to. Thanks for leaving the sheet unlocked @spezzyso that this was possible!

• Like 1

Hellooooo!  I've just discovered this group and glad to join up with fellow like-minded travelers.  I've signed up and added my progress to-date, and then tracked the distance I've walked today.  I only track miles walked when I specifically go for a walk, not all of my footsteps taken in a day, so it's taking me a bit longer.  My current goal is to make it to Rivendell by my birthday August 3rd.    I will have to average about 1.36 miles per day to reach it on time, which I think is achievable.  If I really step up my game, so to speak, and average 2 miles per day for the rest of the year, I could make it to Lothlorien by New Years Eve.

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Things We Lose Have A Way Of Coming Back To Us In The End. If Not Always In The Way We Expect It

13 hours ago, Blaze said:

My progress isn't showing up on the 2nd tab. Did I fill something out wrong?

The Journey Progress tab is a relatively recent addition and hasn't had as much review as other parts of the spreadsheet. It's also not complete and only goes as far as Rivendell. It was missing some formulas in Row 3 for people who signed up after it was created, so I added them. Hopefully it's working for you now.

• Like 1

So, uh. I've totally forgotten to track my walking at all thus far this year. Is it too much to aim for the full thing in 6-7 months? My brain says 'yes', but then my body remembers when 25km/day was easy (at the end of walking the Camino). 12km/day is LOTS, even including dog walks. But on the other hand, it's only an extra ~2hrs a day on the reading/treadmill desk. 

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...