A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone." | 10 Inspiring Game of  Thrones Quotes That You Need This Week (and Every Week) | POPSUGAR  Entertainment Photo 4

My library district held a short live event on Facebook where they revealed the 50 categories for this year, and the new software platform, that will be used for tracking progress for those of us who prefer to do it online. Unlike last year, almost all the categories have me genuinely excited, and I'm almost entirely sure that at least two of the three books I need to go pick up from the library fit a category each. :) 

• Like 7

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

In case anyone is looking for reading inspiration, here are the 50 categories from my library's Extreme Book Nerd Challenge:

Spoiler
  1. A book with North, South, East, or West in the title
  2. A book with a black cover
  3. A book with a building on the cover
  4. A book you’ve been meaning to read
  5. A book set in the future
  6. A book published under a pseudonym
  7. A book with an LGBT+ main character
  8. A medical mystery – fiction or nonfiction
  9. A book with a subtitle
  10. A book by an author with a last name 5+ letters long
  11. A book about someone you admire
  12. A book about a mom, dad, or grandparent
  13. A fiction book with an alternative history
  14. A book with Life or Death in the title
  15. A book dealing with addiction/recovery
  16. A book with a crime in it
  17. A book by or about indigenous peoples
  18. A book by an author with the same first or last name as one of your loved ones
  19. A book set on a farm or in a rural location
  20. A book from a library display
  21. A book about a major world event
  22. A book set in <our state> or with a state connection
  23. A book with a circus or carnival setting
  24. A book of satire
  25. A book by a new-to-you author
  26. A book with a matriarch as a character
  27. A book with a firefighter or police officer as the main character
  28. A book written by a comedian
  29. A book set in the Middle East
  30. A book of your choice
  31. A book published in the 20th century
  32. A book about the career you wanted to have as a child
  33. A book with a main character of Asian descent
  34. A memoir
  35. A graphic novel/manga
  36. A book about a cult
  37. A book suggested by another Extreme Book Nerd
  38. A retelling of a classic story
  39. A book with a bird on the cover
  40. A book about animals
  41. A Printz Award winner or nominee
  42. A book about survival
  43. A book with less than 200 pages
  44. A book from the Adult Nonfiction 800s
  45. A book published this year
  46. A horror book
  47. A book with a cover you don’t like
  48. A multimedia book
  49. A book that taught you something new
  50. A book with food in it

And here is a link to the full Book Riot challenge as well: https://bookriot.com/read-harder-2022/

• Like 9

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I'm 100% going in on this this year!

I'm a huge reader, but usually for escapism purposes. This year, my goal is to work on being intentional with my reading choices. I've set a Goodreads goal of 12, which means 12 that I will admit to reading :D

Currently, I'm reading The Happy Runner, which I picked up for Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I've set a Goodreads goal of 12, which means 12 that I will admit to reading :D

An honest reading challenge! 🤯

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm 100% going in on this this year!

I'm a huge reader, but usually for escapism purposes. This year, my goal is to work on being intentional with my reading choices. I've set a Goodreads goal of 12, which means 12 that I will admit to reading :D

Currently, I'm reading The Happy Runner, which I picked up for Christmas. 

LOL I can relate to that! I'm mean, there IRL people are following my GoodReads... so sometimes I sensor what I log there too. Less so now than 3 years ago though. Reading is highly personal!

• Like 2

EPIC Quest (under construction)

On 1/2/2022 at 12:15 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I am slowly working my way through the Witcher series

I love these ❤️

On 1/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, juliebarkley said:

you could try Rosemary's Baby

I once saw a guy on the tube reading this for a significant amount of the journey (I live at the end of the line). He finished the last page as we pulled into the station and I've wanted to read it ever since 😄

• Like 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

On 1/3/2022 at 2:49 PM, Asha Phoenix said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else take fiction books and read the last sentence in the book before starting it? Like, I've been doing that since I can remember and have absolutely no clue why I do it. 🤷‍♀️ Just wondered if anyone else does this, or has something they do when reading?

I read the end of most thriller-type books that sound interesting. Then I don't have to actually read the book.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

LOL I can relate to that! I'm mean, there IRL people are following my GoodReads... so sometimes I sensor what I log there too. Less so now than 3 years ago though. Reading is highly personal!

If anyone should ever stalk me on LibraryThing, they will learn stuff, because I log everything.

• Haha 1
On 1/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, bigm141414 said:

The biggest release is The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson which is the 4th and final Wax & Wayne Mistborn book. It's a given that any time Sanderson releases anything I am going to buy it and read it immediately.

I'm looking forward to this release, too! I also still need to read Cytonic - I'm just waiting for the kindle price to come down.

After completing the current eras of Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive, though, I'll probably let Sanderson get ahead of me so I can the next set of instalments back-to-back. Cosmere is getting more and more complex and I forget too much in the year or two between publications! 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Is anyone else here using the kobo App for Android or iPhone? And if you are, have you also lost the ability to change to a font that isn't garbage?

On 1/5/2022 at 10:07 PM, Scaly Freak said:

A book with a black cover

I have Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for this one! I've had it for a couple years now and have only ever read about halfway. I'm bringing it back to school with me to finally finish it :D 

It'll be a few months before i have access to a library, not sure if i'll be able to get through the whole list, but reading anything is better than reading nothing and i'd love to give it a shot ^_^ 

• Like 1

Matthew 25:34-40

I'm reading a book about La Salle and (supposedly) why the US didn't end up with more French influence, and the author is going on a long aside about the Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal and the relationship between Gothic architecture and the printing press. The he moves into this:

The Gothic style, in a broader sense, lives deep in the psyche of Canada - a nation founded by two peoples who rejected the American Revolution and the French Revolution and who have thereafter tended to outward inhibition and inward brooding. One has only to compare the Gothic revival architecture of Ottawa with the Roman architecture of Washington, D.C. It is no accident that Canada's longest-serving prime minister was addicted to seances and crystal balls, and no accident either that Canadian literature is far more prone to visions of demon lovers and spirit-haunted wastes than the literature of the United States (except perhaps for the literature of the American South, another region of defeated peoples).

I don't know my country's literature well enough to be able to identify these spirit-haunted wastes and demon lovers, but now I want them. And I think the book is telling me I should be reading Flannery O'Connor.

• Like 1

Finished my first book of the year last night: Heartstone by Elle Katherine White. It is Pride and Prejudice with dragons. (As in: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in a fantasy setting; they themselves are not dragons in this version.) It was an enjoyable read, but one of those cases where the more I think about it the more flaws I see. It was at it's best when she stuck close to the original, when she ventured away from that it became a fun but pretty standard and kind of shallow fantasy romp. I think my biggest critique would be that much of the subtlety of the original is gone. Wickham isn't a dishonorable rogue, he's a violent criminal. Jane isn't falling in love with Bingsley but reserved about showing her feelings, she is quite obviously head over heels in love with him. I'm not sure if White thought readers might not get how atrocious Wickham's actions would have been to Victorian sensibilities so decided to magnify them (and similarly with how Jane's small signs of affections might be seen as "bold") but I find a book is never improved by underestimating its readers. 

All in all, I did think it was a fun read, but not sure I'm going to continue the series.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Finished my first book of the year last night: Heartstone by Elle Katherine White. It is Pride and Prejudice with dragons. (As in: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in a fantasy setting; they themselves are not dragons in this version.) It was an enjoyable read, but one of those cases where the more I think about it the more flaws I see. It was at it's best when she stuck close to the original, when she ventured away from that it became a fun but pretty standard and kind of shallow fantasy romp. I think my biggest critique would be that much of the subtlety of the original is gone. Wickham isn't a dishonorable rogue, he's a violent criminal. Jane isn't falling in love with Bingsley but reserved about showing her feelings, she is quite obviously head over heels in love with him. I'm not sure if White thought readers might not get how atrocious Wickham's actions would have been to Victorian sensibilities so decided to magnify them (and similarly with how Jane's small signs of affections might be seen as "bold") but I find a book is never improved by underestimating its readers. 

All in all, I did think it was a fun read, but not sure I'm going to continue the series.

Last year I read a different "Pride and Prejudice with dragons" set of stories - Pemberley: Mr Darcy's Dragon by Maria Grace (+ the next two books to complete Pride and Prejudice). Interestingly I thought it was better when it didn't stick so close to the original book - there are parts where it lifts text directly, especially in the first couple of books, and they are a bit jarring since the author goes from mentioning dragons about every sentence to a block of text without dragons. If I remember correctly, some of the plot also changes by the end. It was a fun fluff read that I got through Kindle Unlimited. The part that I disliked the most was how the baby dragons talked (very annoying improper grammar). 

I think other P&P variations were discussed in my challenge thread at the time, and I found a fun list of versions including one in which all the men are were-creatures. Mr Darcy was ashamed of being a were-platypus if I remember the book blurb correctly 😂.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

5 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Interestingly I thought it was better when it didn't stick so close to the original book - there are parts where it lifts text directly, especially in the first couple of books, and they are a bit jarring since the author goes from mentioning dragons about every sentence to a block of text without dragons.

I could see that being jarring. Also lifting text directly seems like cheating to me, even if it is in the public domain. In Heartstone, I think the problem was she did such a good job of recreating Elizabeth and Darcy's banter that when she veered off into dragon fighting, it felt like the huge conflict had popped up out of nowhere, since previously the biggest problem was Darcy being mean to hobgoblins.

9 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I think other P&P variations were discussed in my challenge thread at the time, and I found a fun list of versions including one in which all the men are were-creatures. Mr Darcy was ashamed of being a were-platypus if I remember the book blurb correctly 😂.

I feel oddly compelled to read this. Also to meet the person who thought to turn Mr. Darcy into a were-platypus.  😂

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Certainly!

Wonderful!

I am starting a Masters in March, so will need to do a lot more reading eeeek. 

Due to mental health issues, I generally struggle to concentrate but recently finished an incredible book. 

First book by author Gus Moreno - This Thing Between Us.

Wow is all i can say.

An original horror novel about grief, loneliness and the oppressive intimacy of technology.

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hello, knock knock

may I join in?! Xx

Obviously. 

I should add this to the rules. It can be Rule Zero: "Anyone who wants to join is considered a member"

• Like 1

I have claimed the first badge in my Book Nerd challenge, a book with a building on the cover: The Murder at Sissingham Hall by Clara Benton.

• Like 3

ZINWJXU.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I finished my first book of the year (that I'm counting): The Sun is Also a Star. It was 100% not my jam (I'm not as a rule a fan of YA fiction), but I'm doing a reading challenge through ALA and Sourcebooks and that was the book of the month. The author seems to be a fan of twists that, in my opinion, just aren't necessary (she has another book out that I didn't read, but I did watch the movie with my girls). 

• Like 3