Pyralis works like a horse - for a horse. Now employing the gifs!

6 hours ago, Pyralis said:

Funny enough, the moment I hit "send" on the post, I got an e-mail, and they told me I'm in 🥳

Congratulations, that's fantastic!!

The Office Party Hard GIF

I don't know about peach trees but I think it's awesome that you are on your way to an indoor orchard.

You cat is very handsome! I might have missed it, but what is his/her name?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

What a beautiful cat!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this mystery fruit tree....

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

16 hours ago, Alanna said:

You cat is very handsome! I might have missed it, but what is his/her name?

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

What a beautiful cat!

I'll let him know 🤗 he has 1000 names and he's a total derp.

image.png.477a418447efc3ad316249c81d1405cc.png

I'm pretty sure by now that the little green bulbs are developing peaches. 

• Haha 2

What if he did, what if he didn't, what if the world was made of pudding?

*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-*-+=+-+-*-+=+-+-*-+

Current challenge 🐎

On 1/21/2022 at 12:50 PM, Pyralis said:

I'll let him know 🤗 he has 1000 names and he's a total derp.

That reminds me of when I was three and wanted to name my new cat something like [actual name from favourite TV character] Sweetie Cutie Pie. My mom told me I had to pick one, and older me was glad I went with the first name 😆. But most of my pets have had ridiculous nicknames anyway.

• Like 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

8 minutes ago, Alanna said:

But most of my pets have had ridiculous nicknames anyway.

Every well-loved pet should have at least a handful of those. 

Hilariously, by keeping the number of nicknames to a reasonably small number and use them consistently, smart pets will learn that the nicknames also refer to them. Our Sidekicks, a dog and a cat, both know their names (of course), but they also know that what the nicknames mean and react accordingly. They react quicker to their actual names though, which makes me think they know the difference between name and nickname, and may even have a preference. :) 

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

51 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

They react quicker to their actual names though, which makes me think they know the difference between name and nickname, and may even have a preference. :) 

Or maybe they know that you have a preference for different names in different situations (assuming that's the case), and know when you pull out their "full name" you better come right now 😅. (Or maybe that it means "dinner's ready.") That's fun that they've learned different variations, though! Do they ever get confused between each other's names? 

• Haha 1

Supple Lioness Mobility

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

Or maybe they know that you have a preference for different names in different situations (assuming that's the case), and know when you pull out their "full name" you better come right now 😅. (Or maybe that it means "dinner's ready.") That's fun that they've learned different variations, though! Do they ever get confused between each other's names? 

With the dog, that is definitely the case, since we never use a nickname right before giving a command. And she's frighteningly intelligent, so I'm not at all surprised she has made that connection.

And no, they never, ever get each other's names confused. Dog brains come pre-programmed for interacting with social groups, so she has of course learned the names of her packmates. "Where is daddy?" sends her off to search for Husband, while "Where is <cat name>?" makes her go searching for her cat packmate instead. Yes, we play hide-and-seek with the dog. Why wouldn't we? ;) 

Meanwhile, the cat of course also knows the names of everyone in his family, including everyone's nick names, but he considers himself well above such pedestrian tasks as finding someone else, or coming when called. He's a cat, after all.

And of course both of them come running when they hear the phrase, "dinner time for everyone" :) 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 11:11 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Yes, we play hide-and-seek with the dog.

We play hide and seek with our cats, weirdly they understand it perfectly well. Always makes me laugh when they sneak up and jump around the corner when they got me. And it's so difficult not to giggle when they enter the room, looking for me, but not seeing me immediately. I wish they would give me more time to hide though. 

Our cats react to their real names and not so much to their nick names. They also react only to their name, not to the other one's name. Gotta say though we practiced with clicker training when they were younger and rewarded them for reacting to their names. They never come when called though, the most we get is a tired look. 

sleepy cat GIF

What they have learned best is opening of a can sound and snack bag sound. They come when they hear this :D Recently my bf opened a can of tomatoes for making dinner and the cat outside in the garden heard it through the tilted window and hurried back home 🤣

They will also appear when I whistle sometimes.

• Haha 1

Current challenge 🐎

Our cat will surprisingly often come when called. We have found that it's a lot more likely to happen if we call from the kitchen, or from the pantry where the pet food and treats are kept ;) 

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, Pyralis said:

But this post is for something else, since some of you are interested in plants, I wanted to show you our peach tree.\

Hide contents

image.png.df66b268c5dcce87ecf1cd7f37728c3b.png

Ohhhh peach tree ❤️ I can't confirm or deny the little green thingers but they do look a bit like peaches?! 

When we manage to find our new house with some property I want a mini orchard with apples, peaches and plums... And some blueberries and strawberry bushes lol and some wildflowers and beeeeeeeees. I don't know if all those things go together lol but its the dream. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

there can only be one answer for this: 

🍑

edit: ok, typed out its not as funny as I thought. @Rookie sounds lovely, would love to have that one day again. Pretty sure it all goes together bc:

I grew up in a house with garden and we had cherries, apples, pears, plums, some small green-yellow fruit (greengages - a kind of plum?), all kinds of berries and hazelnuts. Sometimes my mom would grow tomatoes when I was a child, or some kitchen herbs. And later I tried to plant a pumpkin field, it was so much work. I had this nice halloween pumpkin and collected the seeds, washed them, kept them all winter, then planted them in pots inside, I was so happy when sprouts started to appear, then plowed a small patch in our garden where previously blackberries had been, put the tiny sprouts in there, watered them, took care of weeds, you know the drill. And they all developed just fine. And then I read with pumpkins, the kind that develops depends on what kind of pumpkins the bees in the neighborhood can find. So in the end what I had was not a gorgeous pumpkin patch with halloween pumpkins but a patch of tiny weird and gnarled.. things 😂 Never tried again afterwards.

Fun fact: I always wondered why pumpkin plants climb and how they can support pumpkins but actually they can. They have tiny hammocks in greenhouses to prevent pumpkins from falling on people's heads.

Also I did not forget about your other reply but did not really have much to add. The sentence with bribing people because they want more stuck out and I rolled my eyes internally because: Sure. I forgot about human nature in all those plans. Again.
And then your struggle with wanting to find something else and not wanting at the same time.. oh well. I also always wonder, and if I should live now and save not so much, or save all and try to be healthy at 50 so at least then I can have a horse and travel. Maybe. The early retirement seems to be a US thing because here nobody ever mentioned it before, that it was possible and how, here it is clear to everyone you're stuck in a 9 to 5 job until you're 65 or older (the border advances towards older age every few years in my country, so maybe I'm then supposed to work until 85, and even if not, what we get for retirement from the government is hard to live on, still it's not really present in many people's heads yet to take savings into their own hands for retirement, and many simply can't save much).

I read the first time about people planning to retire early and that it is even possible, like regular, normal goal for a young person, maybe in the past 5 years or so, before that I would never have even touched the idea that something like this could be possible. I guess here I would need to be an entepreneur or something or win the lottery to reach that goal.

I did not even consider it possible to make 1 million in a lifetime when actually it seems to be ..? I did not receive ANY education on money which is ridiculous. Really need to look into this. When I started working with 31 I was in debt, and earned sooo little I could not save at all. And now all my GIANT SAVINGS of roughly 8k during 2 years will go into the bootcamp. lol. Here you gotta be really lucky to get a job in a huge company that pays well, or to have a sought after job. IT support does not seem to belong to it, at least not level 1 or 2.
So I never really cared for investing or anything with money much because with that little, it didn't seem worth bothering. Started budgeting last year though, at least something. Other people my age are creating or have created multiple streams of passive income and have jobs that pay 3 times as much.

Also funny you repeatedly mention the time booking and billable hours: I HATE it. But I got used to it. I also never understood the explanations that much. "Book realistically".. Ok, then I will book 15 minutes for a task that others book 1 hour for? "No, to the 15 minutes you can add preparation and work after and a break" .. well. Very realistic. I usually book similarly to my coworkers and it's a nuisance but I dislike how it always seems like only billable work is appreciated and "real work" and everything else worthless. Must be cool to work in a company that does not mostly value this kind of work!

Random anecdote about fruit trees in gardens

Spoiler

Oh, my grandma had a tiny apricot tree that we always watched and wondered if it would bear fruit one day. Yupp. My grandma then ate ALL the apricots during a short time because it were so many in the end. She did not feel... well afterwards. 🤣 We usually had to give cherries and berries away since it was so much we could not eat it all. The apples were rather sour and as a child I did not like them so much but felt obligated to eat them because healthy and organic and all, but I think they were perfect for pies.

• Like 1

Current challenge 🐎

1 hour ago, Pyralis said:

if I should live now and save not so much, or save all and try to be healthy at 50 so at least then I can have a horse and travel. Maybe.

There are definitely ways to get more horse time without paying insane amount of money. I think when you can, you should get back into it. Even if its just volunteering or doing the odd lesson. I struggle with the "am I okay not owning a horse?" Honestly I was quite happy part boarding considering it was cheaper and I am up the same amount now than I was before. What I pay now for her upkeep is the same as if I owned her. I do enjoy having the freedom to try different things and feel like shes "my own" (even though she isn't lol). I don't love the added cost. 

I did not even consider it possible to make 1 million in a lifetime when actually it seems to be ..? I did not receive ANY education on money which is ridiculous. Really need to look into this.

I don't know how mainstream the retire early thing is but it does seem to be a topic with web developers or people in the tech industry.  Mr.Rs boss is on track to retire early and one of his old coworkers was as well. They both live very frugally though. There are also different kind of early retirement. The one that is the most appealing (to me anyways) is the barista FIRE. Which is more or less you save almost enough to retire early and you supplement it with a part time job. Honestly I wish I learnt about this stuff back when I was 18 but I didn't figure this all out until like 2 years ago on my own. I did try to learn about it when I was 18 but no one in my family knew anything about it! I then again around 25 tried to bug my cousin about it but he never got back to me. I am definitely not an expert by any means but I feel I am better off knowing this stuff than not. I play it more on the safe side with ETFs. I am not going to get rich overnight with that but at least its increasing my money steadily. Honestly, I feel I will be lucky if I can retire at 65. I tried to get my 18 year old sister into it but she is dragging her feet. Basically the only thing I have going for me is we bought our house before prices doubled. I think next year or the year after I will be able to really start saving more because my car will be paid off. I wouldn't complain either if I got another raise at work :) I think with our next house upgrade we will eventually hit the 1 million mark but it kind of doesn't count because it's not like we can just sell the house and enjoy the 1 million lol. 

I dislike how it always seems like only billable work is appreciated and "real work" and everything else worthless. Must be cool to work in a company that does not mostly value this kind of work!

Sooo frustrating. It's like "You gave me this unbillable work?! Then you get mad at me that I don't do more billable work?!" It just doesn't make sense. I never want to work for a company like that again. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rookie said:

I tried to get my 18 year old sister into it but she is dragging her feet.

So much this. I am not sure if I would have cared when I was 18 or would have believed it. But I hated school, I didn't want to take up a job, I did not want a career and thought I could never fit in anywhere anyway that time and all my teenage years so I would not have agreed and said: Oh cool, let's go, I'll study and work my ass off and get a great job and retire with 30 or 40. Because 30 or 40 was old and so far away and I did not feel any connection to that person I would be then. Not at all. To be honest when I was 17 I thought I would make it until 21 maybe (which was super old for me) and that's it (no idea why, just because it was unimaginable I guess to continue living afterwards getting SO OLD and go on? lol) 

Today I think meh, had I studied with 18 I would have been finished with 22, could have taken up a good career, considering I would have studied something that makes money of course, not ART.. but .. I went for design. I would not have listened to an older me telling me: "It's not that terribly important to study art and you won't make a living from art anyway and JEEZ be reasonable. Also you're not too stupid for programming/math".

Then on the other hand.. it's not like we don't have anything or are not okay. It's always nice having more... look what I wrote above about human nature when you mentioned humans always want more, and that I roll my eyes - I'm no different though. A couple of years ago I had a part time job where I did not make much but I was young, fit, had a lot of free time, many many vacation days, a roof over my head, freedom, and my bf and me were exploring the city a lot. It was great. One day I was lying in bed, high, worrying about finances and jobs and life (that weird weed-induced worrying where your thoughts just spiral endlessly), when suddenly I looked around and had this epiphany: Dude. You're lying on your warm, comfy bed around midday because you're on vacation, and you're literally eating grapes and cheese right now, how bad can your life actually be?

barista FIRE seems nice. I wanted to do something like that when I was 18, just all my life, lol. 

And about the horse, wouldn't like to have one and struggle financially at the same time. If I had one, I would need to have enough money to have it comfortably. Otherwise I'd do what you suggested. I do want one though. I've always had this dream of having a horse in my garden that is my own and I can do whatever I want, like go for a ride whenever, with nobody telling me I do it wrong or I can't or this or that. 

Didn't know you don't own your horse but if you have freedom with it and are trusted with it.. 

I never want to work for a company like that again. 

Because it's short-sighted. You also need people doing unbillable work to keep the company together. It's not worthless. 

I think with our next house upgrade we will eventually hit the 1 million mark but it kind of doesn't count because it's not like we can just sell the house and enjoy the 1 million lol. 

Still pretty cool you got that going for you! If I got a million, I would buy a house, so maybe that's some comfort :D :D 

• Like 1

Current challenge 🐎

48 minutes ago, Pyralis said:

To be honest when I was 17 I thought I would make it until 21 maybe (which was super old for me) and that's it (no idea why, just because it was unimaginable I guess to continue living afterwards getting SO OLD and go on? lol) 

Lol this is her I think. Then she freaks out and panics when she gets older and she's expected to choose college and a career. Because at the end of the day I don't think she wants much out of life. She wants a job she can do without having to interact with people or have to make any important decisions and spend all her free time playing video games with her friends and making random YouTube videos. She unfortunately does have the whole horse hobby thing and actually does have her own horse. She is in school to be a web developer but she failed her 1 programming class and isn't sure she wants to continue. Plus one of her classes has a lot of presentations and group work apparently which makes her hate her course even more. Basically if she could figure out this programming thing I think she would be set for life and I would no longer need to worry about her haha. *I wouldn't normally be worried cause her life and all that but she has no motivation in life aside from playing video games and making YouTube videos... which would be fine if she made money off it but she doesn't seem to have the hustle or motivation to make an income to be a streamer with YouTube or Twitch.  And I have had to remind her she can't live with Mom and Dad forever because eventually that might just not be an option. 

when suddenly I looked around and had this epiphany: Dude. You're lying on your warm, comfy bed around midday because you're on vacation, and you're literally eating grapes and cheese right now, how bad can your life actually be?

Lol that does sound pretty nice! That is why I keep questioning what parts of my life are excessive... What parts can I drop. How can I make my life cheaper without sacrificing. I don't need a super luxurious life... I just want to make my life my own. 

Didn't know you don't own your horse but if you have freedom with it and are trusted with it.. 

I lease her :) And before that I part boarded her. We moved to my current barn 3-4 years ago and honestly its this barn that has really given me freedom and that whole "nobody telling me what I can or can't do". I pretty much do whatever I want as long as its safe. Sometimes you get looks from the barn owner lol but thats about it. I feel shes used to my shenanigan's. It would be nice to have more trail riding options around me that I would feel safe riding to but oh well.

Because it's short-sighted. You also need people doing unbillable work to keep the company together. It's not worthless. 

The company ended up going under lol it was 2 people who owned it and the one guy ended up branching off and taking the quality people with him.  They were on one of those "Canadas top 50 companies for growth" or something and they just kept chasing that high it seemed and I think it really shot them in the foot. 

• Like 1

Quick update: 

I'm now following the Greyskull Plan for ~2 weeks and noticing improvements, but also the weights are nearing a point where it becomes actually challenging. Chin ups, I had to do negatives, I was like a sack of potatoes the first times and they are the biggest source of DOMS, but now I can do the negatives much more controlled already and it feels different. For bench presses I will soon be at a weight that I used to lift when I stopped last year. 

Duration wise, the workout is perfect as it is and I am not likely to miss one, no matter if tired or motivated or not.

There's only one negative and that is back pain. I've started to get back pain or a feeling of soreness of the back years ago already and I gotta say I did have it without training but it was most present when I was working out. I blamed deadlifts for a while and I think it did get better after lowering weights there and checking form, but I am not sure if deadlifts are really the cause. It's hard to describe this feeling in back, it actually feels like restless back and super uncomfortable especially in bed in the morning. I even thought I had Morbus Bechterew (ankylosing spondylitis) for a while, which could be, and started doing McGill's Big 3 daily last year which helped immediately, and I also thought maybe it's the long sitting all day. I did not see a relation to workout but now I do, because the back pain went away completely in winter 2021 when I was not working out AT ALL and I was not doing any Big 3 or other exercises regularly. I was sitting all day and still no back pain, no back pain in the morning, the bed for once felt comfortable again. 

Now it's back, almost the same time I picked up the workout again. And it hurts roughly where the deadlifts are taxing for my back. Kinda where on the back the lats end, but in the morning the feeling is in the whole back AND hips and partially even chest, like it's..worn out or something and there is no position I can endure for long. 

I'll pick up the Big 3 again, and I stopped doing Captain's Chair, but I think it's not the culprit. Yesterday I did deadlifts and today my back feels like sh*t. I'll not put on higher weights there and work on form a lot, even though it is not bad, no rounded back and I make sure to work from the legs and don't pull with the back. No clue what the problem is. Could also be the squats though but the squats really got easier the last times I did them. Or it could be the Hip Thrusts. Maybe putting a bar on that area is not a good idea, maybe my form there is off. I DON'T KNOW. Maybe I'll stop with the Hip Thrusts for a while. 

Besides that, having green smoothies regularly and ordered a bunch of organic green vegetables and fruit yesterday. We eat out sometimes and already spent 60 or so on pizza and sushi, but spending 60 for kgs of fresh vegetables? NOT SURE BRO. 

Also did not lose weight yet because I am still not counting but I do watch what I eat at least, we stopped with all the white rice and eat more red lentils instead now, and I have protein shakes every once in a while, and really toned it down with the chocolate and sweets.

There are some small tasks I'm delaying but want to tackle in January still: 

* Cancel bank account

* Go to post office

* Buy bath salts

That's already it. 

• Like 1

Current challenge 🐎

On 1/26/2022 at 12:51 PM, Pyralis said:

I'm now following the Greyskull Plan for ~2 weeks and noticing improvements, but also the weights are nearing a point where it becomes actually challenging. Chin ups, I had to do negatives, I was like a sack of potatoes the first times and they are the biggest source of DOMS, but now I can do the negatives much more controlled already and it feels different. For bench presses I will soon be at a weight that I used to lift when I stopped last year. 

Duration wise, the workout is perfect as it is and I am not likely to miss one, no matter if tired or motivated or not.

There's only one negative and that is back pain.

That's great that you are seeing good progress and that the workouts are working well for you! But it's not so great that you having issues with pain. I'd encourage you to film your deadlift and squat and get a few experienced lifters to look at the videos - sometimes form issues are subtle and it takes fresh eyes to notice them. E.g., several years ago I managed to pull two muscles (same muscle, left and right sides) while deadlifting. I was mystified, but I managed to catch the culprit lift on film and showed it to some helpful lifters on here. One of them noticed that I was setting up with my shoulders a fraction too far back, which meant my shoulders and hips shifted forward slightly at the start of the pull and I lost some tightness in my lower back. I was also really stiff at the time because I was sleeping on a bad mattress, and the combination of factors led to my injury. 

The other thing to be aware of with programmes like Greyskull is that they don't include any mobility or injury-prevention work - that's something you need to add, tailored to your needs. It sounds like the Big 3 is a good addition, and I'd also suggest some dynamic warm-ups and post-workout stretches (maybe some yoga stretches targeting your back muscles?). Also keep in mind that  the source of the issue might be "upstream" or "downstream" of the pain - e.g., knee pain can actually be due to tight glutes.

Epsom salts are a great idea for sore muscles!

Supple Lioness Mobility