Kishi Writes The Next Chapter

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hear you on taking advice from fortunate people with a grain of salt. What you can do in theory and what you can do in practice are two very different things. People cannot be on task every minute of every day and be happy and healthy. (I've tried, the price is too high. If you know of someone who is succeeding, please share). You need time to unwind and do things that don't require a lot of brain power.

17 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I second this. I've also tried, and failed miserably. So I get that you want to be more disciplined, but just remember that taking the time to fill the creative well when you need to is important too. 

I mean, I don't feel bad about having taken the rest time. And I do believe that rest in and of itself is productive. It's just that I find the consequences as they're playing out for me to be distasteful, and I'd prefer something different.

GOAL: 18/25

Wrote a couple pages last night as opposed to the one. So I'll take credit for that. :D

It was harder because I was doing it at the end of the day and right before going to bed, but it felt right somehow? I dunno. I think I've just been so used to getting at least an 80% completion rate on these challenges that when I projected out and saw that I wouldn't get an 80% on one page a day, it lit a fire under me to get more writing done. The hard part at this point is that I'm having to fight the sense that I can do better work than what I'm doing right now, just based on the insights that I've got off this draft.

I'd like to think it's true, just because I'd like to think I do get better the more I do. But the skill I need to focus on right now is completing the draft. I can remember that. And it felt good to take some steps toward that.

I did miss mat time again last night. My time management hasn't been spectacular this challenge; ironically, for all that I hate the office, time was a lot easier to budget and line up when I was there. I'll be returning there on 2/7 (it got pushed back), but it'd be good to be effective back here at home in the meantime, you know? But I did my home training at least, and that was good. Plan today is for at least handstand training, but hopefully I get back out on the mats tonight too. Cases so far today are a little on the hairy side. -_-

• Like 3
On 1/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Kishi said:

having taken a look at my training, I think I'm going to let the extra ab work go for now. I happened across a Contreras article about ab work and, having looked at it versus what I'm doing now, I'm basically getting a ton of ab work just as it is without any extra work. It's true that I've got a vanity goal about that kind of thing, but I'm willing to bet that as I make my progressions that I'll get pretty good just as it is, and I don't see a point in doing additional work, especially since it might get in the way of the work I'm trying to do.

I almost never do ab work, getting almost all mine from bracing and whatnot. Though I've never dieted down enough to see them, I know they're there and they're strong enough without endless crunches.

Although I do enjoy my deadbugs sometimes 😉

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Ironically, for all that I hate the office, time was a lot easier to budget and line up when I was there.

I've for sure felt the same since my change of vocation. My past several jobs mostly had concrete schedules, right down to the minute we started or finished (outside very occasional mandatory OT) but my new one is all over the place so it's real tricky to anticipate when I could schedule something like a Muay Thai or BJJ class if I wanted. 

• Like 2

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

The hard part at this point is that I'm having to fight the sense that I can do better work than what I'm doing right now, just based on the insights that I've got off this draft.

That's why you do editing after you've written though. And you'll be editing like a champion when the time comes for that. ;) 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

I mean, I don't feel bad about having taken the rest time. And I do believe that rest in and of itself is productive. It's just that I find the consequences as they're playing out for me to be distasteful, and I'd prefer something different.

Consequences? 

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

The hard part at this point is that I'm having to fight the sense that I can do better work than what I'm doing right now, just based on the insights that I've got off this draft.

I totally feel you here. No matter what draft I'm on, I always feel like I can do better. I often end up going through several drafts of each project before I'm satisfied with it. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I almost never do ab work, getting almost all mine from bracing and whatnot. Though I've never dieted down enough to see them, I know they're there and they're strong enough without endless crunches.

Yeah, I've heard that's the way to go, especially if you have access to weights. I've got access to kettlebells, but I'm not doing much heavy work at this point, so if I want to do challenging core work, dedicated movements of some kind seem like the way to go.

Maybe. :D

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That's why you do editing after you've written though. And you'll be editing like a champion when the time comes for that. ;) 

Absolutely. And my hope is that I'll be level-headed enough when the time comes to edit, rather than just shoot for re-writes and make this harder on myself.

1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Consequences? 

The reduced page output this challenge.

1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

I totally feel you here. No matter what draft I'm on, I always feel like I can do better. I often end up going through several drafts of each project before I'm satisfied with it. 

Yeah, I feel that too. How many drafts do you generally find you go through?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Absolutely. And my hope is that I'll be level-headed enough when the time comes to edit, rather than just shoot for re-writes and make this harder on myself.

I don't know that you can necessarily avoid rewrites entirely. Rewriting is just part of the editing process. 

11 minutes ago, Kishi said:

The reduced page output this challenge.

Ah, I see. I get it, I struggle with that, too. I feel like I never get enough done all the time. 

11 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I feel that too. How many drafts do you generally find you go through?

It depends, but I guess anywhere from 3 to 8 drafts, plus mini drafts. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Kishi said:

I did miss mat time again last night. My time management hasn't been spectacular this challenge; ironically, for all that I hate the office, time was a lot easier to budget and line up when I was there. I'll be returning there on 2/7 (it got pushed back), but it'd be good to be effective back here at home in the meantime, you know? But I did my home training at least, and that was good. Plan today is for at least handstand training, but hopefully I get back out on the mats tonight too. Cases so far today are a little on the hairy side. -_-

Funny how having an external schedule can make a person be more efficient, even though you have to spend time commuting. I am making an effort to take advantage of the good parts of working from home now, knowing that I will give those up when I go back to the office. There is always that tension between efficiency and flexibility.

My sympathy on your case load. We had four people out on Wednesday and a busy day yesterday. I am still catching up. If I'm really, really good today, I won't have to work this weekend.

19 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

12 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I've heard that's the way to go, especially if you have access to weights. I've got access to kettlebells, but I'm not doing much heavy work at this point, so if I want to do challenging core work, dedicated movements of some kind seem like the way to go.

I look at photos of people who lift a lot and can see that they have well-defined abs. I wonder how that translates to functional strength for other movements.

I had pretty good abs in the before times. Even then, I found that doing dedicated ab work (from Yoga with Adriene - not crunches!) made it easier to get up from rolls. Right now I am doing mostly bodyweight training. I find the full range ab work translates to better stability in pushups and planks. It also makes it easier for me to brace when I work on isolation exercises for shoulder PT. I know people say that you can get a strong core from bracing during lifting. For me, it seems like I needed to get my core stronger first, otherwise my body would try to use different muscles to brace.

• Like 2

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

Even when I'm whirling kettlebells around, bracing is probably my first que. Second up is locking my shoulders into place. Well maybe those two flipflop sometimes haha. But you're absolutely that dedicated movements can help isolate those tummy muscles beyond bracing and also helps with movement-specific capacity.

7 hours ago, Mistr said:

I look at photos of people who lift a lot and can see that they have well-defined abs. I wonder how that translates to functional strength for other movements.

It's always going to come down how a person chooses to train. If you're big and bulky and only train abs to brace, you're probably going to lose some flexibility in general, including through your core - but if you're training and like a fighter or yogi, you'll surely have abs of your own that might look a little different since flexibility is going to be a higher priority. 

At the end of the day, I'm just training for durability and health. Hopefully that translate over to aesthetics and sport applicability, but I'm also never going to be a gold medalist or world champion and I'm perfectly happy with that haha

• Like 2

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:43 AM, Mistr said:

My sympathy on your case load. We had four people out on Wednesday and a busy day yesterday. I am still catching up. If I'm really, really good today, I won't have to work this weekend.

Thanks! I hope you don't have to work this weekend.

22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Even when I'm whirling kettlebells around, bracing is probably my first que. Second up is locking my shoulders into place. Well maybe those two flipflop sometimes haha. But you're absolutely that dedicated movements can help isolate those tummy muscles beyond bracing and also helps with movement-specific capacity.

Right! And I'm trying to figure out what moves do what for me, because ostensibly I care for movement-specific capacity first and a nice tummy second, but in practice, it tends to be the opposite. :D It's an ongoing thing.

GOAL: 20/27

Nice and on track. If I keep this pace up, I should hit 28/35 and will have met the goal. Hopefully, it will have helped me with getting my writing habit back on track.

The week wound up pretty quiet, really. Work got the better of me every day this week, and I slept in so late that I missed out on open mat this morning.

I've been thinking back on it and I think a lot of it has to do with my failure to get down early, something that I let slip when I was sent back home a while back. I'm still getting enough sleep! But I've been leveraging my, ah, abbreviated commute to sleep later, and that's led to me giving myself license to go to bed later, so it's not a net positive for me in terms of rest or recovery or anything like that.

In order for me to get my training in, then, I've got it done during the work day, and that disruption, at least for me, is perhaps a lot more potent than I thought it was.

So this next week, I'll be focusing on getting up early and getting the training done early. See if that helps or hurts things.

In the meantime, though, it's an easy Saturday today. I shall enjoy it.

• Like 3

GOAL: 22/29

Quick update today. Yesterday was as nice and easy as I wanted it to be. No yoga, but the rest felt intentional and I decided to honor that.

Rolled a couple 'movement' sessions this week, so did TGUs today. Getting close to upping my weights on these; reckon that'll probably happen next week. Did my writing last night and did my writing just now before I head out to visit my folks.

Aaaaand... wow, yeah, that's pretty much it. The "getting down on time" thing is doing better already and made a concrete difference today; here's hoping that continues.

• Like 4

GOAL: 24/31

Another relatively smooth past couple days. Monday I wrote, and while I couldn't wrap up the work in time to make both striking and grappling, I did manage to make grappling. This is more than I've done in a while, so I will take that as a win.

Tuesday was a good day, although I'm just now realizing I might have missed a training opportunity. It was a rest day, and my work was going well. And then my Traveling Nurse/Med Tech friend, who is no longer that but now my resident Writer Friend messaged and asked to hang out, and I realized that I was in a good position to cut my workday short. So I did. Got my boss's blessing and everything. Went to hang out with my friend and it was a good time to just catch up and see how everything was. For those of you keeping track at home, this is the one who went poly some months ago, and the short version of things since then is that I correctly identified some fault lines in the relationship that she says have since smoothed out. I must confess that the way in which it did is both funny and sad to me, but it's their relationship to manage, and I'm happy for their contentment with one another. :)

Anyway, things ended early enough that if I'd had half a brain and remembered that Sci Fi Night was meeting later than usual, I could have got out to the academy and got some more mat time. But I didn't, so I didn't. Sci Fi Night was still good, though.

And that leads to today. Got up earlier than intended; slept okay, but just couldn't stay asleep after early waking. Today feels kind of... iffy. I feel like I'm good and raring to go, but I've also got that burning eye thing already for lack of sleep and I feel like I'm going to need to lean on caffeine more today than I'd like to. It's an odd juxtaposition, and I'm not sure how to flow with that. For the moment, the plan's still on, and I'll probably make time for a nap around mid-day like I used to in the office (the return to which, BTW, has been postponed to the end of the month), which might change things. I guess today, just gonna play it by ear and see what shakes out.

• Like 3

GOAL: 25/32

Welp, got what I could out of yesterday. My home training was good, and believe it or not I was actually on track to get at least some mat time yesterday, but I got sidetracked. My boss wanted to meet with me yesterday to go over some stuff. Nothing bad for me; I'll spoiler the work stuff again, though, for those who get bored about this kind of thing:

Spoiler

So, agency rankings came out and NC DDS is dead last in terms of quality of decisions. (This sounds terrible, but it's a relative thing; we have an 88% accuracy rating as judged by our regional superiors in Atlanta, which just goes to show 1] how much we care about doing the right thing and 2] how small the margins are in the rankings). As you might imagine, this does not sit well with our QA department, so they've slowly and steadily lost their shit over the past few months. They've added a bunch of extra steps to our processes, and it's making a lot more work. That, combined with a bunch of other extraneous things, is causing the agency to bleed people, which is a bit of an understatement; I think we're losing at least one person a week on average agency wide, which is bad.

My boss is kind of fed up with QA and is looking to advance ideas to our management that might be able to make things easier for us so we can stop bleeding people and cool things down. So she wanted to talk to me about it. To be clear, it wasn't me alone; I think I was actually one of the last ones she talked to just by dint of circumstances in the past couple weeks. So we talked about a bunch of different ideas that might be able to help our situation. Definitely felt seen and heard, but to see my supervisor trying to do something about it? That was way better.

Good meeting, but it took like an hour at the end of the day, and after that I still had a bunch of shit to do on my workload, so I lost out on mat time. Oh well. It is what it is.

Today will be what it will be. I got enough sleep last night (MDA ran an article about this thing yesterday, which is fortuitous), but really relaxed and took it easy this morning. Plan's to do handstand work today, but it'll be in the way of some job stuff today, which is sloppy of me. There's potential mat time tonight, so... we'll see.

• Like 4

GOAL: 26/33

Missed mat time again yesterday. It wasn't because of work or anything like that, and it wasn't because I didn't want to go.

The reason I missed is tied to some health stuff. I don't know if any of y'all remember, but earlier in my keto journey, I had a tachycardic incident where I was able to trace the problem back to a lack of electrolytes. I was able to solve the problem, and it hasn't reared its head since. A big part of it, though, has been making sure that I'm eating and drinking right. Part of that has been to make a kind of 'keto gatorade,' which I make every time before I go off to do anything that's going to cause me to exert myself or work up a sweat or something like that.

Last night I was missing some ingredients, and I didn't realize it until right before I would have had to leave. So I elected to stay off the mats and go get the ingredients I needed.

It may be reasonable to accuse me of my typical perfectionism where, "Oh, oh, I didn't do it right, start over again and- nope, missed out, can't make progress, start again," but I don't think so this time. I think that, in my situation where I live alone and I don't have anyone looking out for me but me, what might strike others as paranoia or another kind of unreasonableness is in fact reasonable and responsible.

I also made something of my time off, too; mostly in terms of ordering new clothes to replace some of mine that are getting holes in bad places, ordering a new belt to replace the one I'm wearing now, and other necessities that I kept putting off for no good reason. Because I had time. :D I also got to sit with myself and take a long hard think about the job and how I'm doing it now, and I think I might have some ideas about how to do it better and maybe rebalance a little so that I have an easier time getting away for training. I can put this into practice next week, and I'm hopeful it'll turn out well.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I elected to stay off the mats and go get the ingredients I needed.

It may be reasonable to accuse me of my typical perfectionism where, "Oh, oh, I didn't do it right, start over again and- nope, missed out, can't make progress, start again," 

Did you seriously just suggest that prioritizing a proactive effort to avoid tachycardia, above an activity that would exert your body and put strain on your heart, is a form of destructive perfectionism?

No.

It is smart and reasonable, and correct priorities, for all the reasons you mentioned. End of discussion. :) 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

52 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Did you seriously just suggest that prioritizing a proactive effort to avoid tachycardia, above an activity that would exert your body and put strain on your heart, is a form of destructive perfectionism?

No.

It is smart and reasonable, and correct priorities, for all the reasons you mentioned. End of discussion. :) 

Agreed. Perfectionism would have been to ignore the danger and go to the mats so you didn't miss out on mat time.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

I also made something of my time off, too; mostly in terms of ordering new clothes to replace some of mine that are getting holes in bad places, ordering a new belt to replace the one I'm wearing now, and other necessities that I kept putting off for no good reason. Because I had time. :D I also got to sit with myself and take a long hard think about the job and how I'm doing it now, and I think I might have some ideas about how to do it better and maybe rebalance a little so that I have an easier time getting away for training. I can put this into practice next week, and I'm hopeful it'll turn out well.

I agree you made the right call. There are days when life maintenance has to take priority or else BAD THINGS will happen. Getting clothes that serve their purpose is important, just like making sure you have the food, beverages and medications to support your health.

I know you are comfortable in your job situation at the moment. I just thought I'd mention that at work yesterday, our HR person talked about the current war for talent. Lots of companies are willing to let people work 100% remote when they never used to, because they cannot find qualified candidates. Now is the best time in many years to be job hunting. Just sayin'.

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 2/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, Scaly Freak said:

No.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:32 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Agreed. Perfectionism would have been to ignore the danger and go to the mats so you didn't miss out on mat time.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, Mistr said:

I agree you made the right call. There are days when life maintenance has to take priority or else BAD THINGS will happen. Getting clothes that serve their purpose is important, just like making sure you have the food, beverages and medications to support your health.

Cool! I figured so, but it's good to have some external validation about it.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, Mistr said:

I know you are comfortable in your job situation at the moment. I just thought I'd mention that at work yesterday, our HR person talked about the current war for talent. Lots of companies are willing to let people work 100% remote when they never used to, because they cannot find qualified candidates. Now is the best time in many years to be job hunting. Just sayin'.

Bold of you to assume I'm qualified for anything. :P

GOAL: 27/34

Yep. Looks like I'm going to make it. Excellent. :)

As to a reward, I haven't really got that part figured out yet. I had an idea about buying a hand drum - it would be a new kind of art, and it would help my rhythm, which would be good for martial arts - but I've got my heart set on a djembe and when I look at what the 'right size' is for someone like me, it's basically taking up room in a place where room is kind of at a premium. I still haven't done my cleaning up like I said I would do. Maybe that's my next challenge, and the drum is the reward for that? But that kind of leaves me with a desire for a reward and nothing for it.

So, instead, I'm going to reward myself with a set of tennis balls. Why? Because there's another skill I've actually been meaning to pick up - how to juggle. I know, it's coming out of left field, I haven't really hinted at it, but it's apparently very good training for coordination and relaxed reactivity, which is very good for a hard-contact kind of guy like me to have. It may seem like a relatively humble reward, but it's what I want, and I'm cool with it.

Training has been notable for my dips and rows doing a lot better and me coming to master those reverse lunges I said I'd get into. Handstand work is going well; I'm playing around with different line work drills and I feel like that's helping at least to keep things fresh if nothing else. Good times.

Otherwise, finish off the writing tonight and that'll be a wrap.

• Like 3

GOAL: 28/35

Did it! :D

Pleased to report that the writing has a hit a fun part again, and I wouldn't have got to the fun part if I hadn't slogged through the unfun parts. Feels good. I'm also getting better at my protagonist's voice, which is vital because it's being told in the first-person limited perspective, so, uh. That might be important to figure out.

But, uh, yeah! That's the challenge. Like most of my challenges, life upended itself and made things different, and hitting the single target while hitting all my other targets was challenge enough for me. But I did it, and now I'm at a point where writing scratches an itch and where I'm finding my way back to doing it more often than not. That feels good.

The reward I've picked is going to be interesting, because the advice I've gotten is to approach juggling on a daily basis. Doesn't have to be long - like, 5 minutes a day or something like that - but so much of what I do is like that. This could be a thing for next challenge, hitting dailies in terms of shadowboxing and doing drills and that kind of thing. Another thing that's holding me back from a bunch of what I want is the clutter around my place. I have entirely too much stuff. I do, in fact, have a thought about a different approach to that problem than what I've used before, but slow progress beats no progress and if I clear out enough, I might just do enough to pick up maybe a small drum to play with. Maybe.

I do think I'll have to determine how I want to format this thing, but on the whole, I'd say I'm pretty stoked for next challenge. And in the meantime, I rolled three rest days this week, which feels about right for the interim between challenges. I'm looking forward to a lot of yoga. Or not.

In the meantime, as always, my thanks to the community for stopping by and cheering me on. You're always appreciated, and I hope you know that beyond my saying so. My thanks to @juliebarkley, @Jupiter, @Mistr, @Novaurora, @ReturnOfTheDad, @Scaly Freak, @Sloth the Enduring, @Starpuck, @Stronkey Kong, @Tanktimus the Encourager, @Terra, @KB Girl, @Rurik Harrgath, and anyone else I missed along the way.

See you next time!

• Like 8