Habit 1: Start 2 hours of Deep Work every weekday

🟩🟩🟩

Habit 2: Fill up water cup every morning

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Habit 3: Spend 15 minutes every weekday adding recipes to Plan to Eat

🟥🟩🟩🟩🟥

Habit 4: Practice yoga for 30 min a week

🟩

So amazingly, our household all tested negative for Covid. We had the kids home all last week, and they got to go back to daycare yesterday with no symptoms and negative tests in hand. 🎉  ...Only to receive a call later that day that my son needed to be picked up because of a classmate testing positive, and while he wasn't directly exposed, his classroom is closed for the next 3 days.

Y'all. I just – I can't. 

Anyway. This is life with omicron, I guess, and we're doing what we can. Habits are still going fairly well. I'm not prioritizing adding recipes or updating NF because I'm so behind on work that I have to be hustling whenever I'm on my computer. It's a struggle to still run 3-4x a week, which makes squeezing in yoga hard too. Last week I didn't get it done until literally Sunday night, but I'm glad I got it in. Water intake has been good at least? I feel like that's a solid habit that's really sticking and helping increase my water during the day. Yay for that.

So if anyone is even reading this, sorry I'm a ghost and completely ignoring everyone. Hopefully I'll be more active next challenge instead of struggling just to keep up with it all.

Once again I ask, are you me?! Same thing happening here: sick kids (ear infections, COVID negative) and daycare closures.

You are rocking this challenge in the face of LOTS of impediments!  That water goal is especially great foundation for everything else. I'm still cheering for you, even if I'm also a ghost for a bit. :)

• Like 1

EPIC Quest (under construction)

Oh yikes - end of the challenge already?

embarrassed miley cyrus GIF

So obviously this was not one of my better challenges! But let's do the run down anyway:

Habit 1: Schedule and Start 2 hours of Deep Work every weekday

• Use reclaim.ai to schedule 2 hours of focused work time on work days
  • When the notification goes off, I will actually  get started with work - even if it's just 2 minutes

Total: 18 / 25 (70%)

Of course, being that this January was  - *insert guttural scream* - there were a lot of days I took off work or when getting 2 hours of focus time was just not possible. So let's break down the point of this habit: 1) Using time-blocking to structure my day, 2) Reacting to the cue by getting started (even if I didn't continue!), 3) Training myself to do 2 hour work periods. Overall, I think this was generally successful. Time blocking worked well and I did spend more time in deep, focussed work than I usually do. But it was hard to convince myself to just "get started" on the days when executive dysfunction was really strong. Probably about 4-5 days during this challenge I just flat out ignored the timer, instead moving the time block later and later until it didn't get done at all. So the new programming didn't fully override old habits, but it did help!

Habit 2: Fill up water cup every morning

• Every morning while I make coffee, I will fill up my big 24oz water cup

Total: 32 / 35 (90%)

This no-brainer habit was a total game changer for me in terms of water consumption! It's not totally ingrained yet, but I have got way more conscious about filling my water cup in the morning - and subsequently drinking more and refilling it more often. Easy win that really changed a fundamental health aspect for me.

Habit 3: Spend 15 minutes every weekday adding recipes to Plan to Eat

• Use reclaim.ai to schedule 15 minutes of time every weekday
  • Add at least one recipe that I'm actually willing to cook/eat to Plan to Eat during this time 

Total: 13 / 25 (50%)

Well, technically this was always scheduled, thanks to reclaim. But did I follow through? Not so much. I did really well the first two weeks, dropped off during week 3, and then completely ignored this during weeks 4-5. I had some personal things going on during Week 4 and Week 5 was busy at work, but 15 min a day should have been totally do-able. The real heart of it is that I just got bored. I got tired of looking at recipes every day, and I didn't get a chance to try most of them, so there was no reward to the exercise. I still think it was a good experiment, but forcing myself to add new recipes took something that's usually a very organic process (finding something that looks yummy and saving it!) and turned it into a chore. I certainly built up my buffer of recipes-to-try, but I think overall this was too much time dedicated to the task. I might try it weekly instead.

Habit 4: Practice yoga for 30 min a week

• I will complete a 30 min yoga class from the Peloton app for 30 min on Tuesdays, after daycare dropoff
  • If, for some reason, I can't do Tuesday, Friday or Sunday are my back up days

Total: 3 /5 (60%)

First of all - I never once did this on a Tuesday as planned. I always procrastinated till the end of the week - twice getting it done on Friday and once not until Sunday! Thinking introspectively, I'm not sure why I struggled with this one: I liked the yoga practice when I did it. I'd actually like to move to 2x a week. Maybe it was the open-endedness of the timeframe that made it easier to push back and then have it fall off at the end of the week. I might be more successful setting a rule like "Must do on Tuesday to count", which is what I do with my running.

Challenge 1 Takeaways

• A lesson I learn over and over and keep forgetting: I do better in my challenges when NF is the primary way to record my habits. Outsourcing to a spreadsheet or habits app makes it easier to check off the task, but gives me less motivation to post here, and I inevitably do worse because of it.
  • Making little changes was good but not great. Because if I failed to do even the little changes, then I didn't really accomplish much with the month. 
  • I gave myself a lot of grace because because it was a hard month! But at the same time, I feel like I backslid from where I wanted to be and didn't make much headway toward my "epic goals." 
  • I took diet and running "off the books" this challenge, and while I kept up with running and hit my targets as much as possible, I carried some unhealthy diet habits over from the holidays: lots of sweets, lots of snacks. That'll probably be my focus for the next challenge.
  • Like 2

Level 13 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 12 | 13 | 13.5

2022 CHALLENGES: 14 | 15

13 hours ago, athousandwords said:
  • A lesson I learn over and over and keep forgetting: I do better in my challenges when NF is the primary way to record my habits. Outsourcing to a spreadsheet or habits app makes it easier to check off the task, but gives me less motivation to post here, and I inevitably do worse because of it.

A daily posting goal? :D 

I hope things have calmed down this month.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

20 hours ago, athousandwords said:

The real heart of it is that I just got bored. I got tired of looking at recipes every day, and I didn't get a chance to try most of them, so there was no reward to the exercise. I still think it was a good experiment, but forcing myself to add new recipes took something that's usually a very organic process (finding something that looks yummy and saving it!) and turned it into a chore. I certainly built up my buffer of recipes-to-try, but I think overall this was too much time dedicated to the task. I might try it weekly instead.

What works for me is not actually "saving" them until I've actually made them.  I'm really good at finding a recipe we like, making it, then not writing down which website I get it from. In turn, I can never find the same recipe when I want to make it again. So as I make a new recipe we like, I'll take the 15 minutes at the end of the day to write it down (I'm old school, I have a recipe book). This stops me from saving recipes we end up not liking and helps me stay organized with ones we do. 

Obviously, YMMV, but it might be an approach that works for you too!

• Like 1
On 2/8/2022 at 5:32 AM, KB Girl said:

A daily posting goal? :D 

I hope things have calmed down this month.

Maybe! But also just making NF my primary tracker has worked for me, too.

And don't you curse February like that!

025b9196be618d67a05254ce3b715dc5728ff599

On 2/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, Sylvaa said:

What works for me is not actually "saving" them until I've actually made them.  I'm really good at finding a recipe we like, making it, then not writing down which website I get it from. In turn, I can never find the same recipe when I want to make it again. So as I make a new recipe we like, I'll take the 15 minutes at the end of the day to write it down (I'm old school, I have a recipe book). This stops me from saving recipes we end up not liking and helps me stay organized with ones we do. 

Obviously, YMMV, but it might be an approach that works for you too!

That's a good system! Right now I'm adding everything because it gives me more flexibility when meal planning - I use a program that keeps recipes and meal plans integrated together. Then I rate them with a star rating once I've made them so I remember how well we liked them! But yeah, I can see how only keeping the faves is a good idea!

• Like 1

Level 13 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 12 | 13 | 13.5

2022 CHALLENGES: 14 | 15