Adventurers of the Lucky Vale XXV

Greetings, and welcome to all! I’m a married parent of 4 kids aged 0-8. I’m ultimately an adventurer at heart, though I train similar to a lot of Rangers (and I’m something of a Druid Paladin which is also something of an equivalent to a Ranger).  I love hiking, exploring, traveling, and other fun things with the family.  Since shortly before joining Nerdfitness, my physical training is typically built around injury rehabilitation (which happens a bit more often due to autoimmune arthritis) and training to be able to travel, explore, and play with my family. I have a pretty effective Disney World training system, and try to ensure that at any point I’m strong enough to carry my whole family somewhere. That has become more difficult as the years go on but I can still do it for the most part.  I am also an enthusiastic suburban homesteader bent on establishing an orchard and vegetable garden, so things can get pretty out-doorsy depending on my goals. My needs mean I do a variety of types of training, and my earliest two physical training goals were “run fast” and “be able to competitively play any sport I come across.”  I prefer to avoid gyms and do a lot of body weight training. When I do lift weights it is at the YMCA or, more commonly, takes the form of children, sandbags, or logs. 

Quite nearly a year ago, we welcomed baby 4 into the family. We take all kids to Disney World for their first birthday (or roughly thereabouts) and thus Le Bébé becomes L’enfant. My cat was diagnosed with feline dementia last year and I’m struggling between putting her down and trying to adapt. Some days are really good. She’s snuggly and social and totally fine. Other days she forgets what litter boxes are and hides. As it is I think she had something like it when we adopted her at age 8 and I suspect when she went missing during those early deep freezes she’d run off to die. So. Struggling. She’s really messed up some things in the house. But on the other hand… yeah. We adopted a kitten (our third cat and Rex’s first), and I don’t want my old broken cat to inadvertently teach her bad habits.  We have returned to school in person, which I think the kids needed mentally but I’m still incredibly nervous about, especially since the youngest two are too young to be vaccinated. I know getting some level of COVID is virtually inevitable but I really want to push that at least until we can all be vaccinated. We’ve been both cautious and lucky thus far.

At the beginning of last  year, we started shopping for an existing business with a professional kitchen  to give a physical location to our small bakery. We now own the bakery kitchen and business, and are focusing hard on getting our renovation done and team built, as it had grown by multiples over the summer from the original numbers given to us. We’ve done home hiring,  had some more curveballs come our way, and may have to pivot again.  I think we found a good balance that keeps us from having to spend all of our capital on machinery, and let’s us move forward with the original plan. Of course, we didn’t go into business for the guarantees, we went into business to make our efforts matter. Those efforts are still paying off and I think this will enable  us to lead a much better life going forward.  

The fruit trees and bushes are all doing well.  They’re going to sleep for the winter. The kumquat tree and pepper plants live at the bakery now. It’s been extremely hard to homestead as I want to, with both of us having day jobs and the bakery. I see some light though. 

We’re again looking at possibly moving and possibly even a new build. It’s either that or some major work on our house; we love our neighbors and location but the bedroom situation is difficult and the garage is painful when you have 2 big vans instead of smaller cars. Plus, with the recent car accident taking out my van and putting us into a Tahoe… it literally doesn’t fit into the garage. But it’s way more cramped than either van. Truly, I hate the Tahoe. It’s big in all the wrong ways and cramped. But it will do while we’re waiting for my van to get fixed. My leg is still messed up, partly because I sat in the super cramped passenger seat along with 3 backpacks and a suitcase giving me little room to move for our roughly 2,000 mile round trip. I drove maybe 600 or 700 miles. 

Healthwise, we’ve been living the keto lifestyle for most

of the year and we’ve found it to be incredibly easy to stick to 99% of the time, meaning we’re seeing more success and I’m burning less willpower on food-related stuff. I am past my arbitrary goal weight, and I’m focusing hard now on maintaining around this weight while achieving my goal composition.  We took a break over the holidays and I gained about 18 lbs, but it’s almost all inflammation; my muscle and waist measurements are substantially the same. I can feel my psoriasis and arthritis flaring. We were planning to have a hiatus throughout January too but I don’t think I’m gonna last with my joints (psoriasis gets a lot worse in winter anyways). A huge problem is that I still struggle with intense carb cravings when I have more than, say, 1-2 cookies per day, and being otherwise low-carb but not keto isn’t quite enough. It’s better perhaps, craving wise,  to stay generally keto while occasionally breaking out an indulging. 

I still plan to enjoy Thanksgiving pies and Christmas cookies and Christmas Even bourbon slushes and New Years black eyed peas. But I think I may make it more a series of per-meal or per-sitting exceptions in the future? Maybe not. Arthritis sucks. 

I’ve been doing lots of bodyweight squats and lunges with the 6-lb trays and I can tell a difference. Working in the bakery is much better physically than desk work (which I also still do). It’s a good physical job.  The slowdown combined with standing throughout Jim’s funeral is probably what triggered my calf. I’m getting back to it and recommitting to the rule of “never bend where you can squat.”

I've generally been doing well with my “no yelling” goal, though I’ve slipped a and I suspect it’s in part due to being tired and habits being difficult to break.  I continue to strive towards zero yelling.  I am also striving to be careful with my words at all times. I’m tired of being so very careful of my words most of the time to the point where I’ll simply be silent (where I have to be careful to not stonewall) but then just let loose and impulsively say a bunch of thoughtless things.  I think the trip really, really helped. Getting away is mentally good for us and we kinda rely on the resets to break us out of bad mental-emotional routines. 

Goals: 

1. Sleep. As best as possible. This is critical to managing my emotions as well as general health and quality of life. I’m currently trapped in sleep deprivation until we can hire and train our team. But I can also see a light at the end of the tunnel. 

2. Basic calisthenics routine at the least. I don’t want to lose my pull-up and chin-up strength so I’m still doing those in the morning every other day. I’m catching up on sleep and housework so I hope to move into a strength-building mode soon.

3. Take one concrete step forward per day- at least one tangible, visible thing to make life better. This ranges from things as small as “dig out the replacement toaster” to as big as “reorganize the playroom.” I don’t have to complete the bigger ones as long as I make progress. 

4.  Take one concrete step forward per day career-wise. I need my job but I’m not satisfied in it and otherwise need a change. I need to hone/adapt skills and look for other opportunities. -> Currently, this involves finishing the bakery renovation.

5.  Home and Garden. I want both to be better. Especially the home. The basement is… bad. I spent one today doing laundry and cleaning up. The basement needs a tremendous amount of work. The dogs have been staying down there snd it’s better than kenneling them but they’ve eaten some toys and containers which made a huge mess and the best dog’s separation anxiety issues are coming back into play. I hope that in the future I (or one of us at least) can be home half the day with them most days. My Christmas gift to Jessie was to rehire the lady that helped us previously. She’d  graduated to become a hairdresser shortly after we moved, and I asked her for a referral. Lo and behold, COVID really changed things and it didn’t end up being what she wanted, so she’s going back to school to get her art degree and she’s cleaning/organizing houses to pay bills. So I coordinated with her and Marinara to get the main floor and bedrooms cleaned and organized while we were on vacation. The basement is further down the list but it’s there. We totally wrecked the house as we left. Then we kinda wrecked it unpacking and coming home but I’m taking this morning to clean and straighten up so it’s maintained. She’s not feeling well and I’m not pushing her to come in while she’s sick, but once she’s well she’ll be back to help more. 

6. Therapy.  I have a new(er) diagnoses and new(er) medication that have been, it feels, pretty life changing. I finished intensive therapy that was also insanely helpful prior to that and I am continuing with less frequent sessions. My goal is to better learn how to manage ADHD and how to be a more connected, present, and supportive husband and father. I think I have been progressing well. I feel healthy. I am excited about how this has gone. I am

working on anger management and taking a page from the book of Mr. Fred Rogers. I had no idea that he struggled with a strong and volatile temper. He never wanted to be remembered as a saint because he didn’t want his example to be unachievable but I do think he is probably the best person who ever lived a full life. I will be looking to him as an example and we’ve decided to introduce the show as a regular part of our kids’ lives. Gods know it’s as helpful to me as it is to them. And I’m adding care of words as well to this goal for things don’t have to be yelled to hurt. 

It is a very exciting time. The bakery is coming along. It looks a lot more like what we wanted. The house is getting in order. 

D&D isn’t strictly regular but it won’t wait. It’s a good activity for the family and super easy to do in the car. I’m glad they love it so much. Rex really comes out of his shell and I think it’s his favorite activity. We haven’t played in a while and want to get back to it; the car is great but with a fully packed car it wasn’t feasible in the Tahoe. 

Speaking of Rex, he loves dresses. Big poofy Princess dresses are his favorite. But kids at school, particularly this group of girls led by one in particular who loves to tell him his favorite stuff is only for girls, have been getting to him. He was afraid to wear a dress to Disney (his custom), even his brand new light blue Cinderella dress. So I offered, if he wanted, to buy and wear a dress with him. He had me buy a Captain America dress, and I wore it to our day at Epcot. It was kinda fun. Definitely not my normal style. And… as good as Rex looks in a dress, I look bad (at least in the one I was wearing).  But he wanted me to wear one with a lot of blue. He ended up wearing that with a chef’s hat with Remy in it and if that isn’t the most Rex thing in the world I don’t know what is. I adore that boy. Of all our kids he’s the least conventional so far and  I want all of our kids to be supported and empowered to be themselves. He had tons of compliments, and a lot of older people saw him and were just overjoyed to see a young boy receiving love and support from his family, as I suspect some of them did not. He’s himself and that’s what matters. 

The alternative is hardly living. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

4 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I'm glad you're here! Following for all the things!

Thanks, and welcome!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

12 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Speaking of Rex, he loves dresses. Big poofy Princess dresses are his favorite. But kids at school, particularly this group of girls led by one in particular who loves to tell him his favorite stuff is only for girls, have been getting to him. He was afraid to wear a dress to Disney (his custom), even his brand new light blue Cinderella dress. So I offered, if he wanted, to buy and wear a dress with him. He had me buy a Captain America dress, and I wore it to our day at Epcot. It was kinda fun. Definitely not my normal style. And… as good as Rex looks in a dress, I look bad (at least in the one I was wearing).  But he wanted me to wear one with a lot of blue. He ended up wearing that with a chef’s hat with Remy in it and if that isn’t the most Rex thing in the world I don’t know what is. I adore that boy. Of all our kids he’s the least conventional so far and  I want all of our kids to be supported and empowered to be themselves. He had tons of compliments, and a lot of older people saw him and were just overjoyed to see a young boy receiving love and support from his family, as I suspect some of them did not. He’s himself and that’s what matters. 

This is the sweetest thing I have heard about all week. If more dads showed their kids that kind of acceptance and emotional support, this would be a very different world. I am so glad he got to have fun and feel supported for being himself.

• Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

13 hours ago, Aquarii said:

This is the sweetest thing I have heard about all week. If more dads showed their kids that kind of acceptance and emotional support, this would be a very different world. I am so glad he got to have fun and feel supported for being himself.

Thanks. I’m of mixed emotions. Happy. Sad. Grateful. Hopeful. Angry.  It’s a lot. I am a little more protective of him than the others; he’s also almost definitely Alphabet Mafia, he’s sweet, thoughtful, and sensitive, and vulnerable in a way the others aren’t. He gets overwhelmed and shuts down, and he has the purest heart I know. 

I want him to be and feel supported. He deserves to have fun and be himself and not have to mask all the time. I’ve touched on this before with @WolfDreamer and a few others, but I almost don’t want to talk about it because I don’t feel like it’s something that SHOULD be praiseworthy. As in, shouldn’t every parent, by default, jump at such an opportunity? 

I don’t know. As always I’ve got a lot of feels and I’ve been trying to talk about/sit with/process them. Ignoring them and powering through hasn’t ever worked as a long-term solution. I’m also dealing with some fallout from childhood; like my BFF who is trans and never felt she could be herself because of expectations and peer cruelty. She was always targeted for abuse and never really understood why, though she could tell she was different. I knew something was different but didn’t know what it really care what. Gender wasn’t as big a thing to me as it could be and I spit on enforcement of gender norms to begin with, and I’ve always been naturally attracted to people who are different. 

(Which is part of why the Golden Boy mold was destined to break around me; I was expected to marry a quiet, conventional, submissive wife who didn’t rock the boat and was more servant than spouse. That was never gonna happen because of The Wall I always felt between myself and conventional folk, and by my love of and interest in people and things that are different, novel, rare, etc)

I think about those horrible memories from school or Boy Scouts and want to hit someone. Then they seem to transpose onto my sweet boy and I just see red. Rex is the sweetest kid. And I’m very fortunate that Woody is exactly the same way. He’s already confronted Rex’s main bully in the lunch room at school after hearing how she told Rex that dresses and LOL dolls and dance and gymnastics and all of Rex’s favorite things are not for boys and only for girls. I’ll take calls and emails home for that all day-but we didn’t get any. Woody drew a line and apparently put her in her place.  I hope she lays off of Rex altogether and loosens up. It is the biggest pause I have in regards to sending him to the private school. There are some pretty close-minded folks sending kids there even if others are on the same page as us. I don’t think the local public schools would be much better. But I still wonder. 

Bah. I’m tracking down an architect/designer today. We’ve got permit paperwork to get in order, especially for the walk-in freezer.   I’m… hungry? Not sure. Still reeling from a month that included some substantial sugar indulgences even if I was mostly in line. I’m down 3 lbs from Monday, which is good as I’m feeling less swollen in my joints and I’m sure the weight loss is 99% water and inflammation. 

Oh. And I lost my original wedding ring an hour before we left for Florida. Meaning it’s probably in my yard by the driveway, or possibly in the laundry room. I haven’t been able to look for it like I want to. It doesn’t fit. It can’t be resized and definitely won’t be able to fit given the swelling range of my joints. I really hope I find it. I’m glad I have my new one which is awesome. But I really want the other one too, which I think I’m gonna drop into a chain to wear from now on. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I want him to be and feel supported. He deserves to have fun and be himself and not have to mask all the time. I’ve touched on this before with @WolfDreamer and a few others, but I almost don’t want to talk about it because I don’t feel like it’s something that SHOULD be praiseworthy. As in, shouldn’t every parent, by default, jump at such an opportunity? 

Well, in my case, it was not praise, it was appreciation. 

Should it be praiseworthy? No. Is it unfortunately still a luxury that many kids don’t, and may never, get to experience? Yes. And it is still nice to be reminded that there are people out there who do offer not only an accepting environment, but do their best to create a supportive one as well, especially when it is so easy to look at the world through jaded and cynical eyes these days. So, I certainly don’t mind you talking about it. 

Just my two cents, haha.

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

20 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Well, in my case, it was not praise, it was appreciation. 

Should it be praiseworthy? No. Is it unfortunately still a luxury that many kids don’t, and may never, get to experience? Yes. And it is still nice to be reminded that there are people out there who do offer not only an accepting environment, but do their best to create a supportive one as well, especially when it is so easy to look at the world through jaded and cynical eyes these days. So, I certainly don’t mind you talking about it. 

Just my two cents, haha.

Thanks. 

That makes sense. 

Here’s to making that the standard experience. 

In other news, we watched Encanto as a family and I cried half the movie for different reasons than usual (I almost always cry at Disney movies). It just hit close to home. Which makes sense since all the characters and their powers represent roles often found in generational family trauma. What’s weird to me is that anyone would look at their childhood/extended family and not see everyone in the movie. Like Jessie, who recognized it for what it is but grew up in a much healthier family. Gotta be sure to break that cycle and then ensure it stays broken. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

In other news, we watched Encanto as a family and I cried half the movie for different reasons than usual (I almost always cry at Disney movies). It just hit close to home. Which makes sense since all the characters and their powers represent roles often found in generational family trauma. What’s weird to me is that anyone would look at their childhood/extended family and not see everyone in the movie. Like Jessie, who recognized it for what it is but grew up in a much healthier family. Gotta be sure to break that cycle and then ensure it stays broken. 

I don’t usually pay much attention to Disney movies anymore, but I saw the trailer for it recently and it looked interesting. Did you like it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I don’t usually pay much attention to Disney movies anymore, but I saw the trailer for it recently and it looked interesting. Did you like it?

Yes. Encanto was amazing. It is probably the most subversive movie Disney has ever made and it felt very meaningful to me. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Aquarii said:

* Asterisk

I feel I should disclose that I generally really enjoy most Disney movies. However! Encanto is for a very, very different set of reasons. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Yes. Encanto was amazing. It is probably the most subversive movie Disney has ever made and it felt very meaningful to me. 

I feel like that is high praise coming from someone who likes Disney stuff as much as you do. I will have to check it out.

• Like 1

So I don’t know if I mentioned this, but we’re talking about moving again. 

I am very unhappy about it. 

But the fact is, my mother-in-law and her sister are 61 and 70. And my mother-in-law moved in with her sister after a fall. Which is good. But then her sister fell, and while she fortunately was not hurt beyond being a little sore, my mother-in-law was not able to help her up. They’re lucky Woody and Rex were there (an ongoing theme since 2-year-old Woody is who rescued my mother-in-law when she fell).  I love them and I am worried about them and I know that taking care of the house has been more of a struggle for them over the years. 

So we’re looking into options to build a new house, since I think that’s probably going to be the way to go. I mean, we did buy our current house sight unseen. So there are some things that probably would have made it a “no” for us if we hadn’t been under the pressure we were to not be homeless after our other house and the backup house we had fell through. The garage is too small and the fourth bedroom that we really need with 4 kids especially since L’enfant is not a girl is in the basement. The previous owners did draw up plans for a MIL suite and garage expansion that are somewhere around here but I can’t currently find them. But doing that and the extensive remodeling required to fix the bedroom issues will take a long time and cost a fortune. I don’t know if we can afford a new build like we want but that may very well be the best option. 

It makes me really sad. I adore our neighbors and that we’re talking of moving so soon after the awful neighbors left really breaks my heart. 

As far as affording it, well, we both currently still have our day jobs. We made a major change with the bakery though. 

Our largest bakery customer is gone, leaving right before the holidays, mostly a relief since they were generally unprofessional and never happy with anything, which is why we were working ourselves into the ground. We’d already agreed to automate or fire them and I’m glad they took themselves out of the equation before we sank a lot of money and space into equipment. Now we get to be the bakery we want to and planned to.  On the other hand, they were the great majority of our revenue. If they’d stayed we could have easily built a house. But the bakery revenue will be suppressed until we can complete the remodel and officially reopen.  

We started the remodel and are pretty far along but got some incorrect advice on what we could start and do on our own/without permits that a county inspector came by to basically tell me was wrong. I’m disappointed by that but grateful that he just dropped a verbal stop work order and gave me a list of what to do and how. He and the municipal fire inspector love our plans and say they’ll have no trouble getting approved but I have to have an architect or designer deliver a sealed set of plans along with my permit application. The muni paperwork has a 1-day turnaround and the county has a 2-3 week one and can be complicated. So that’s all shut down and we’re back to operating under cottage law until that straightened out. It seems our grand opening is probably pushed until March. We wanted early January and planned to finish the first stage of the remodel this weekend. Then I’d hoped maybe Valentine’s Day. But given how backed up all our designers and architects are we may be pushed out a while. The contractor we’ve been working with, Jessie’s mom’s cousin, has a guy who is drawing up plans. We started that process in early November and he just got to us, coincidentally, the same day the inspectors came.  So if he can add the non-weight-bearing wall and seal it we could get started. Even better if he could add the freezer and the handful of electrical outlets we want to add that would be perfect, as the inspector recommended getting them all in the plans now if possible. I’m less concerned about that part of it anyway, though. As long as we can open and do regular retail business, a longer delay on the “nice to have” parts isn’t going to be as big of a hurdle. And the freezer can be stored reasonably well. 

We really do need the freezer to do what we want long-term. The goal is to become the premier local coffee and bagel place. All the other non-major-commercial-chain places died during the pandemic and I can’t tell you how many people have already called to ask if we serve coffee and bagels. We found a place that will supply frozen parbaked bagels, which are basically formed and let us bake them fresh without having to have all the equipment to do good New York bagels too. The coffee machine has been ordered and is on the way and I cannot wait. I may have mentioned that my high school Entrepreneurship class project was a coffee shop and I fell in love with the coffee shop model all the way back then. We’re also looking to, in the long run, carry local craft beers which will drop is right into that perfect little niche we’re aiming at. Also, our chairs and tables arrived along with our indoor neon sign and they’d super cool. 

Back to the house thing. Building a new house that works for my family plus my mother-in-law and her sister will be expensive, we’re talking twice the value of our current house. One possible idea would be to convert their current house into an AirBNB. It’s a wonderful house with great bones. It’s the house my wife grew up in. I love that house and that neighborhood and I know Jessie doesn’t want to sell it. If we moved them in with us and rented that house out at what appears to be the market rate, it might actually cover most of the new mortgage. Though it’d take a lot of work to prep it for that. We’d be able to make even more if we added a bathroom and finished the attic all the way; it’s got one of those enormous attics with nice stairs that could easily be a suite.    We could sell it too but… I really hate the whole idea. It’d be potentially awesome if we could pull it off but moving is exhausting and I cannot overstate my love of our double cul de sac with three neighbors whose kids play with ours and 2 sets of neighbors whose parents are on exactly the same page as we are, parenting-wise. 

I don’t know. Always something, right? Not the worst problems in the world to have though.  Maybe I’ll even be able to get consistent, regular full nights sleeps someday. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

I found my ring today. Right on top of the grass and right along the path I was walking. I got home when the sun was still out and decided to spend a few minutes looking with my metal detector. Yet while I was fiddling with the metal defector, the sun glinted on off the interior of the band and found it!

I’ve already ordered a stainless steel chain to wear it on. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I found my ring today. Right on top of the grass and right along the path I was walking. I got home when the sun was still out and decided to spend a few minutes looking with my metal detector. Yet while I was fiddling with the metal defector, the sun glinted on off the interior of the band and found it!

I hope the "that's metal" reaction is appropriate. I don't quite understand what it means, but it seems like people are using it for things that are awesome and I figured this applied! Also, pun totally intended!

You have a lot of big things going on with the house and business. Here's to hoping you can make the best decisions for your family (I know you're already putting a lot of care and thought into them) and get those full nights of sleep sooner than later.

• That's Metal 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

Adding a layer to that “pun intended.”

Thanks! Something I never understood is the “great leader/strong person sacrifices sleep all the time” trope.  For example, in LotR how Aragorn and Samwise Gamgee in particular always seem to sacrifice sleep as if it’s a moral strength. Or the RL business and political leaders who say they only need a couple hours of sleep a night. Examples there include Hilary Clinton, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, and my influence/politics professor in my MBA class who said you’ll never be super successful without working 20 hours a day. Because 1. I’ve read a lot of sleep research and evidence points towards a reality of a tiny segment of people FEEL like they don’t need as much sleep but the reality is their performance is suffering and 2. When I look at those non-fiction people I can see some extremely poor decision-making/judgment calls that dramatically affected their lives. I believe exhaustion is one of the things that contributed to HRC being “out of touch” especially when so many “regular person” experiences such as driving herself places and not having a 24-7 contingent of bodyguards already meant she didn’t have very good access to regular person POV for decades. I believe exhaustion and probably abuse of uppers contributed to some of the unhinged tweet and stream-of consciousness rants Trump made/makes. I believe it contributed to Steve Jobs’ decision to treat his cancer without medicine and his sense of invulnerability given that he was both incredibly talented and lucky with timing. I believe it has contributed to Elon Musk’s reckless behavior. And this is also possibly led my power and politics professor to believe Steve Raucci was a figure with admirable traits worth emulating. 

Now, I do think all those people have/had varying degrees of ethical failings as well.  But I strongly believe that lack of sleep distorted their perspective and contributed to their bad decision making, in particular by amplifying parts of their thinking and emotional control processes that perhaps were already weak. 

Jessie and I got a pedicure last night. It’s been years now since I’ve gotten one, about 2 1/2 actually. Traditionally we get them every year before our vacation (though it’s often to each other at home) and it’s been too long. And my one tow has been bothering me for months now and I think they fixed an ingrown nail. I got sparkly light blue because that’s how I roll. 

I hope I make good decisions. I think the decisions to make the bakery ours and what we want is solid. I ordered bagel stuff yesterday as well. I am thrilled at the prospect of selling coffee and bagels as the local place. Last night Jessie and I were discussing moving the opening back to the end of March and I think that’s a good idea, especially with the delays we’re experiencing on our updates.  That’ll give us the ability to have a reasonable marketing campaign and a more solid date for a grand opening without having so much anxiety over the possibility of not being done. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

In spite of the ongoing COVID surge in which local hospitals are full and urgent cares/ERs virtually inaccessible, our kids’ school is planning to go mask optional at the end of the month. 

I’m seeing red. I’m ready to cut ties with the whole community. Why the hell are we associating with Evangelicals anyway because apparently the majority of them don’t really care about the values Jesus spoke of. 

I hate this state and I kinda hate this country. 

• Angry on your Behalf 2

Spoiler

Here we are a year and a half later. A year and a half of rebuilding trust in a leadership that totally lost mine. And we’re back to square one. Actually, not quite. We’re in a worse place than we were. But it’s the same story. 

Just as things get a lot worse, they’re making decisions to take fewer precautions. Again. I mean, they’d been handling things reasonably well. And I’m still nervous. Woody’s class has been quarantined twice in a month due to positive cases, the week before December break and from last Friday to today. And Rex’s class went into quarantine today. Well, he did. A kid tested positive and they decided not to quarantine. 

And I was still even today working to get Bo Peep into kindergarten there next year. She’s smart and pretty mature and pretty close to the cutoff. But I’m wondering. Because they didn’t take my calls because they were working on COVID stuff. This is the fucking COVID stuff they were working on. So maybe we’re dodging a bullet. But the local public schools are basically the same because this is Missouri. I can’t go full remote with them again. I can’t do a full time job, help them with remote school, AND run a bakery. I could until we officially open but we can’t wait until summer to officially open. 

I have no words for my rage but I really, really this brand of so-called Christians who do not give two shits about others and cannot even be bothered to wear a piece of goddamned cloth over their mouths and nose to help keep the community healthier in a pandemic. 

It is my desire to cut ties entirely. Except for with our friends who all seem to feel they’re in the minority here. 

• Sad 3

Spoiler

I could not sleep more than a doze last night. 

It is again, in part, simply painful to be told you and yours are acceptable deaths for other people to avoid engaging in the smallest courtesies for your health or your family’s health.  Or the community’s. This “We 4 and no more” stuff is blatantly anti-Christian. The compassion towards all is supposed to be what sets Christians apart from others. Radical love. It is what had always drawn me to Christianity, that and related values. And the things I hate the most are the preaching of those things paired with actions directly opposed to them, the sometimes complete disregard for others in favor of selfishness. The sacrifice of wearing a mask is tiny. I get that quarantine is hard on people too. I understand many people are in a terrible situation because quarantine means they can’t work, they have no options, and they can suffer greatly. (Again be our politics is apparently to hang people out to dry even if it hurts us).  So I’m more open to those changes but the mask thing is such a low bar. Such a low bar. 

• Sad 2

Spoiler

Encanto question. 

One thing I’m very interested in knowing is the background of people when they note their opinion on Abuela Alma. Spoilered for potential spoilers, a first for me in the NF forums. 

Spoiler

The question: is Abuela Alma a victim?

Info I want to know: does one’s opinion or her villain hood or lack thereof have anything to do with having experienced a lifetime of abuse from someone like that? And even then, does your position in a journey of healing/therapy alter it?

Abuela Alma is very much like my maternal grandmother. Who is definitely also a narcissist, which I think we can safely argue Abuela Alma is not-based on the fact that while it took over a decade and the trauma of losing her home again  to actually get the damage she was doing, she also actually admitted to doin that damage.  She made amends and handed the reigns over to Mirabel, a very not narcissistic thing to do. In any case, I have known my grandma is a victim of trauma and abuse for some time, and we have a history of undiagnosed bipolar in the family along with a relatively recent immigration story on that side. My relationship with my grandma has been a rollercoaster for maybe the last 15 years.  My family roles m as the oldest grandchild and being so close to my youngest uncles in age made me the Golden Child and the Strong One. It was a lot to handle. And over the years I’ve felt more and less compassion towards her, often depending on how directly and recently I have been hurt.

I have real difficulty figuring out whether someone without generational family trauma would see her and think, “Oh, she apologized, OK.” And say she isn’t a villain. Or would they, not being traumatized themselves and seeing how messed up an environment she created, think she was a villain?

Also, someone deep in the throes of such abuse my be sufficiently gaslit to excuse any behavior on Abuela’s part and emphasize her victimhood, as may someone sufficiently distanced and healed from that abuse recognize the source and forgive if it excuse the awful behavior.

But maybe being recently freed or finally discovering that not all families have such an unhealthy dynamic makes you likely to see her as the villain with all the fresh pain you have? Or maybe being totally healed you still see her as a villain, if an unintentional one since you recognize her reaction to that trauma created the entire set of problems her family faced.

I think she’s clearly the antagonist. However, she also rose above it, whereas in my family the Julietta/Pepa Healer/Emotional Gaslighting roles were forced into my mom and her mom before her, and for so long that when they did not break the cycle they ultimately became like their own abuser. Narcissism begats narcissism (secondary or learned narcissism) and that series of traits is both common in trauma and makes change harder.

I don’t know. But I’m interested to know.

I’ll say this, though. Darth Vader is an iconic villain. And no matter how much he or anyone else says he isn’t Anakin Skywalker, they are one and the same. Vader told himself that Anakin was dead to ignore feelings of good/guilt/conscience within himself, but let’s not forget that he was still literally Anakin. Anakin, who even as a good guy, still committed numerous war crimes and as a teen went on a genocidal rampage.

Anakin’s fall and antisocial behavior are absolutely rooted in trauma. His abuse as a slave as a child. His rescue by the Jedi-who we must note did not immediately return to Tatooine to free his mother and instead said he had to pretend she didn’t exist while somehow missing that someone so strongly emotionally attached to him could be sensed via the Force. His front-line participation in a war despite all sorts of red flags indicating that he was not emotionally or mentally fit for it. The secrecy of his marriage and the isolation that bred. The poisonous words of a manipulator.

Let’s note that like Abuela Alma, he even had a dramatic last-minute change of heart, a barely-apology for the hurt he caused, and a nearly magical amount of forgiveness from his son. No, she didn’t kill anyone. But she created an environment in which people felt worthless and strove for her approval. I honestly believe Luisa, for example, would be a high suicide risk when the magic failed if not for the decisive actions of Mirabel. So she did some pretty insidious things regardless of her motivations. Meaning I have a hard time totally absolving her of villainhood. 

I also say all this noting I am far from perfect and a fairly traumatized person. I’m doing my best. Abuela Alma probably told herself she was doing her best, too. Maybe I’m a villain to someone though I hope not. And if I am or become one I’m quite committed to my redemption arc. That said, for all my flaws I also strive to accept people as they are and validate them as opposed to making them bend over backwards for my approval.

Again, I don’t know. But it’s weighing on my mind.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ranger Hal said:

Just checking in. Hope you all are doing okay!

Aye. Well. We found yesterday that several (5) theatre students tested positive. Jessie and I tested positive as well, along with L’enfant. She’s feeling terrible, I’m feeling pretty ok, and L’enfant has boundless energy. 

Thus far Woody, Bo Peep, and Rex are all testing negative. They’re doing remote school, mostly on their own. I’ve got N95 masks and everyone else has KN95 masks made to FDA standards, we’ve got them set up on a different floor, and they’re really self-sufficient with school after a year of remote school. That said, it’s really hard. We’re a close family and it’s not common for us to be apart. They stayed with their grandparents several nights over the weekend and we didn’t see them much the latter half of the week, which is possibly why they haven’t tested positive yet but also means we’re all going through family withdrawal already, and now we’ve got maybe 10ish days before we can act normal again.  

The boys went ahead and live-streamed dinner tonight. Rex and Woody made Swedish meatballs from scratch for us. Including cutting an onion, making their own bread crumbs, and making their own ground pork by dropping a slab of bacon into a blender. It was… really good. And absolutely amazing. I’m super proud and they were better than any meatball I’ve ever made.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

On 1/25/2022 at 7:26 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Sorry to hear that some of you are positive and that you're having to stay away from each other. I hope Jessie feels better soon.

Thanks. Me too. We tested the older kids again tonight and they’re still negative, which is a huge relief.  I mean, I’m sad because we already hadn’t seen them much since midweek last  week. Which is probably why they were able to avoid it. But when we tested positive we were all already missing the heck out of each other. Now we’ve gotta continue to not be together in the same house and damned if I don’t want to just tackle them all and snuggle them all day. 

That said, tonight after the latest round of tests we watched Big Hero 6 together via Disney plus’s group watch feature. We also broke out the short wave radios and have been talking together all day. I took the day off of work and will be out until I’m well, which really helped altogether, because it’s starting to move in on me and probably I shouldn’t be getting up to work at 4 am.  

On 1/25/2022 at 7:26 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Your kids are awesome and that dinner sounds wonderful!

Tonight, Rex made everyone pizza from scratch. They are wonderful. Woody did school, helped his siblings, and when Rex was sad Woody dedicated all his free time to making an awesome picture of Charizard for his bro. 

As bad as being away from the older kids is, it’s kinda nice having so much time with L’enfant without him having to compete with older siblings for attention. Though he’s wired for sound since they, especially Bo Peep, usually play with him constantly. And like Rex, when he sick he doesn’t sleep and is very mischievous. It’s been fun spending time with him on the one hand even if I’ve been sad on the other. 

I have to get a specific test done for work to be off/get benefits/etc. so I get to do that tomorrow. 

I brought up my nightstand. I need to fix it and we want to refinish it but since I’m spending all my time in the bedroom instead of the kitchen I need a table instead of a laundry basket 😂

• Like 3

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Now we’ve gotta continue to not be together in the same house and damned if I don’t want to just tackle them all and snuggle them all day. 

I hope you can do this in a few days!

59 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

We also broke out the short wave radios and have been talking together all day.

Haha! I love this!

I'm glad you're taking some time off work so you can get extra rest while you're recovering.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

34 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

I hope you can do this in a few days!

Me too. 

Haha! I love this!

Bo Peep’s idea. She brought me one of them and demanded I get the others and batteries. (I do not keep batteries in them because, well, I hate dead batteries and cleaning leaked battery acid. 

I'm glad you're taking some time off work so you can get extra rest while you're recovering.

I get the time off at my job, thankfully, so I’m definitely going to take the time I need. My boss asked me how many days I was gonna be out and I laughed at him. I said I assume probably around 10 days but I’ve multiple high risk categories so for all I know I’ll by on a ventilator

or dead in 10 days.  He was disconcerted by this. But ask a stupid question and get an uncomfortable answer. That is, as I reminded him, why we’ve been so incredibly careful and why I have been unwilling to come back into the office. Yeah, sure, I got it but that’s in spite of taking measures and hell if I’m gonna push myself to do that useless freaking job at the expense of my health, especially in the case of pandemic disease. 

• Like 3

Spoiler