Adventurers of the Lucky Vale XXV

Well, we’re not quite dead yet. 

The older 3 have consistently tested negative for 5 days straight with no symptoms and we’ve been quarantined away from them. So they’re staying with their grandma and her sister tonight. They need a break from each other and some time to just be kids instead of taking care of each other and the house-they’ve really stepped up, especially Woody and Rex, but this level of responsibility is not what I want to become their new normal.  I really miss them. L’enfant is still staying with us, and I think we’ll all rest better. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

4 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

The older 3 have consistently tested negative for 5 days straight with no symptoms and we’ve been quarantined away from them. So they’re staying with their grandma and her sister tonight. They need a break from each other and some time to just be kids instead of taking care of each other and the house-they’ve really stepped up, especially Woody and Rex, but this level of responsibility is not what I want to become their new normal.  I really miss them. L’enfant is still staying with us, and I think we’ll all rest better. 

I am super impressed with your kids, and also with you and Jessie for raising them to be so capable. Y'all are awesome! I'm also glad to hear they're getting a break.

• Thanks 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

11 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I am super impressed with your kids, and also with you and Jessie for raising them to be so capable. Y'all are awesome! I'm also glad to hear they're getting a break.

Oh me too. It gives me a lot of hope. Part of what I’ve been afraid of is a situation in which they have to run the household on their own. I’ve helped here and there, and I’ve been a lot more short-tempered than I would like (gotta keep my Fred Rogers in mind) and they've been arguing/squabbling way more than usual but they’re stepping up hard and I’m impressed and happy about it. 

L’enfant’s energy level is out of this world. He’s nearly asymptomatic which is simultaneously a relief and the hardest part of this. Jessie gets spurts of energy that last from 10-20 minutes and mine last from 20 to 30 minutes, and he’s used to hours-long chase marathons with Bo Peep (and vice versa). Right now since the others are gone I’m sitting in the kitchen while he just runs full out on the main floor. 

• Like 3

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 1/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, Sciread77 said:

I could not sleep more than a doze last night. 

It is again, in part, simply painful to be told you and yours are acceptable deaths for other people to avoid engaging in the smallest courtesies for your health or your family’s health.  Or the community’s. This “We 4 and no more” stuff is blatantly anti-Christian. The compassion towards all is supposed to be what sets Christians apart from others. Radical love. It is what had always drawn me to Christianity, that and related values. And the things I hate the most are the preaching of those things paired with actions directly opposed to them, the sometimes complete disregard for others in favor of selfishness. The sacrifice of wearing a mask is tiny. I get that quarantine is hard on people too. I understand many people are in a terrible situation because quarantine means they can’t work, they have no options, and they can suffer greatly. (Again be our politics is apparently to hang people out to dry even if it hurts us).  So I’m more open to those changes but the mask thing is such a low bar. Such a low bar. 

I am seeing outside of Christian communities too. I work at a public university, and we have had Covid cases going through the office. Just a couple days ago, I found out the guy in the cubicle next to mine tested positive, because he posted it to our Slack channel, and there is no quarantining or anything. It has been going through the office since like Nov of last year at least. They did do the first two weeks of the term from home for the students, but for faculty and staff it was more at the department’s discretion. They do allow people with health conditions to work in some of the smaller meeting rooms to be isolated from everyone else, but aside from people who are sick being required to stay home, there is no shut down or self-isolation of people who may have come in contact with someone who tested positive.

• Angry on your Behalf 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I am sorry to hear that you and some of the family have Covid. I feel like it is inevitably in my future despite trying to take as many precautions as I can. My mom and two of my siblings have managed to get it twice (they seem to take precautions only when mandated to do so). It is such a crazy world we live in.

i hope you all feel better!

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

10 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I am seeing outside of Christian communities too. I work at a public university, and we have had Covid cases going through the office. Just a couple days ago, I found out the guy in the cubicle next to mine tested positive, because he posted it to our Slack channel, and there is no quarantining or anything. It has been going through the office since like Nov of last year at least. They did do the first two weeks of the term from home for the students, but for faculty and staff it was more at the department’s discretion. They do allow people with health conditions to work in some of the smaller meeting rooms to be isolated from everyone else, but aside from people who are sick being required to stay home, there is no shut down or self-isolation of people who may have come in contact with someone who tested positive.

Yeah, and it’s at Jessie’s school, too. I don’t understand pretending it is over. It clearly isn’t. It’s causing monumental suffering. As it is, we’ve been pretty lucky thus far. All things considered. Including 3 vaccine shots. Jessie is sure she’d be dead without the vaccine. I also worry. 

9 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I am sorry to hear that you and some of the family have Covid. I feel like it is inevitably in my future despite trying to take as many precautions as I can. My mom and two of my siblings have managed to get it twice (they seem to take precautions only when mandated to do so). It is such a crazy world we live in.

i hope you all feel better!

Thanks! Chef, fortunately, has not gotten it and has almost completely taken over the kitchen. He keeps making epic meals. I’ve attached photos. I’m super impressed with him. All of them really. But he’s past the “knows more than most of the people I met in college” and has hit “he knows more than most of the adults I know.” And that includes me in a number of areas. I’m not a gourmet chef but I love cooking and definitely know my way around a kitchen. Yet tonight he schools me on why my breading is anemic? Using proper terms he found in one of his cookbooks? Totally awesome. 

We’re fortunate to still have our sense of taste throughout this as well. Hopefully that doesn’t change! 

37C25A9E-F2FE-4EF1-A03B-FCF225C95A1B.jpeg

65D1E58C-F6F8-4EFD-83F3-686CAF2D235B.jpeg

0D8A8905-D073-470E-A1AD-83A5DA1E010F.jpeg

20B60310-C5D8-4DCB-9C29-E2C95121BFDE.jpeg

• Like 2

Spoiler