Oromendur: Late is Better than Never

On 2/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, Ann of Owlshire said:

This sounds like the best way to elliptical I’ve ever heard of!

Yeah -- if I hadn't managed to rescue that thing from the spiders and birds' nests and set it up right outside my bedroom door, I'd probably have totally given up on PAI last fall ^_^

On 2/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, Ann of Owlshire said:

I’m not a professional writing coach, but if you’re looking for someone to accountability with, you know how to reach me. I have some extracurricular writing goals I’m struggling to work on as well.

Oh, I *wish* I could afford a book coach (sigh) This is a 'writer's community' thing that involves a bunch of rah-rah social media blather (yuck), a fairly well-organized book writing/publishing skill training progression with assignments (moderately useful), and the chance to submit an unagented proposal to their publishing house twice a year (totally worth the difficult-for-me-right-now-but-not-eye-wateringly-high price of admission).

Spoiler for angst:

Spoiler

In the end I decided to do it. I have food in the freezer (and can make do with cash on hand for groceries for a minute) but I *don't* have an agent, and I don't really have the platform to get one in the nonfiction genre I'm looking at here. But I *do* have some solid skill as a writer and (soon!) a publishing credit. What I need for the next project is a DEADLINE. Planning to submit to their 'contests' in June and December will force me to write, polish, and submit at least one full book proposal (maybe two if I really crack the code on sorting out my patterns).

I'm trying to keep a steady hand on the cynical part of me that recognizes how they've basically monetized their slush pile :rolleyes: The coursework is all right but nothing special, and the 'community' part of it is 100% made up of paid members gushing at each other, but what other people do or don't get out of it is none of my business. I'm paying for something I think will help me, and I will do my best to avoid wasting time on pointless judgments, take what I find useful, and leave the rest without worrying about it. Whatever. Alea acta est and all that -- and now I can get to work.

All of that said -- I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to connect with you for fiction accountability! I am probably going to need an agent for that, and in order to get one I need a reasonably-close-to-finished novel and a decent query, and checking in routinely with someone else about it would be amazing. What are you working on? How can I help? DM or email or WhatsApp (whatever is your most preferred and convenient form of routine comms will be fine) and let's talk ❤️ 

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 ]

[ Current: Carrying On ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Ah, yes. Daily updates. That means updating EVERY DAY, right? Yeah... About that...

Anyway. I'm blaming the Santa Ana winds.

‘You left the East Wind to me,’ said Gimli, ‘but I will say naught of it.’

‘That is as it should be,’ said Aragorn. ‘In Minas Tirith they endure the East Wind, but they do not ask it for tidings.'   

~The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary Edition, J.R.R. Tolkien, p. 418

I was irritable on Friday, and Saturday was even worse, and my skin was rough and dry and my hair a flyaway staticky mess, and it took me far too long to make the connection between my shitty mood and the weird weather blowing in from the East. I *know* I'm sensitive to the Santa Anas -- but somehow it still manages to surprise me every time :rolleyes:

It's probably going to be hot and dry and yucky all week :angry: Still, now that I know there's a physical reason for it and it's just not my brain and body being stupid for no reason, I can deal with it.

I won't bother with the missed daily updates, but here's the spreadsheet report:

image.png.186ec387bfac52d64349aa652c6f28ad.png

Could have been worse. A LOT worse. I'll take it.

Spoiler for [WEEK FIVE UPDATE]:

Spoiler
  • PAI: 4/7. Not good. Not good at all (sigh) So, PAI is calculated as a rolling 7-day average, which permits one to coast on one big effort day for up to a week. The problem with this is that one is absolutely required to perform another big effort day exactly 7 days later...which this week coincided with the beginning of the Santa Anas...which therefore didn't happen...which put me in a downward spiral of 'why bother' that I still haven't managed to arrest (sigh) I'm going to really try and make an effort next challenge to do more days of smaller effort to try and stabilize this a bit.
  • Outside: 4/7. Lost this one too. It's very mood-dependent, which is kind of a Catch-22 because spending time outside seriously improves my mood.
  • Morning: 28/28. Rock solid, yay.
  • Work/home: 24/28. Not as bad as I expected! I only completely lost two days. But I was being extremely generous with my green tick marks; I think this is generally a good thing, but it can go too far, and I think I sort of did this time.
  • Evening: 28/28. Also rock solid. Yay. I might even move one of these habits (or one of the morning ones) to maintenance to make room for new efforts, we'll see.

So, despite the fact that this challenge was much shorter for me than everybody else :D I did manage to learn some things.

First: daily updates help. A LOT. I'm still trying to find a good balance between "spew out too much sharing that takes too much time and energy" and "disappear for three or four weeks at a time" but I will retain some sort of daily update requirement next challenge.

Second: actually getting a task list out of the walled garden of my own head makes it easier to choose, start, and finish things. I'm not sure the options lists above were the best way. I'll play with it some more -- maybe I need a reserved post where I update the lists as things get done? I don't know, I'll think about it -- but some kind of public list will remain.

Not bad for two weeks of effort, I guess :)

Hope everyone else is doing well! See you on the next challenge boards.

Onward!  

• Like 3

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 ]

[ Current: Carrying On ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art