Seabright's 2022 Battle Log of Awesomeness

Tues, Sept 27

Blogging 

• Create logo
  • Done! Your Garden is Fab is born!
  • Bonus accomplishment: Registered 2 other similar domains and pointed them both to my primary domain.

Hiking and the outdoors

• Sneak in a walk during off-site at some point.
  • Done! Even brought along the spousal unit.

Accessibility

• Set up time to talk to PJ.
  • Done! We're talking tomorrow.

Remodel

• Find pics to illustrate white vs green
  • Doh! Just talked about it some more, didn't really happen.

Bonus excitement

• Did all of the above during a day-long on-site meeting - the first in 2 1/2 years!

Tomorrow:

• Figure out how to format and upload my logo.
  • Walk down to the beach at the end of the day.
  • Meet with PJ.
  • Look for backsplash pics.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Wed, Sept 28

Blogging 

• Upload logo
  • Done! 

Hiking and the outdoors

• Sneak in a walk during off-site at some point.
  • Done! Went on my own this time. I actually, um, well, you know, um, I actually like that better. Sotto voce.

Accessibility

• Talked to PJ.
  • Done! Got a couple of contacts, and got myself put on a style council as the accessibility champion.

Remodel

• Find pics to illustrate white vs green
  • Done! White is back on the menu, boys! Ordered some samples. 

Bonus excitement

• Everyone who was at that all-day on-site meeting yesterday received covid-exposure notifications around Noon today. 

IMG_1111.png.a08469eb7a7efdfb41aad09e83cb123e.png

Tomorrow:

• Find a template for my site
  • Try for an early am walk through the harbor
  • Reach out to one of those contacts for accessibility
  • Look for backsplash pics. I only need to find 2.

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Thurs, Sept 29

Blogging 

• Find a template
  • Not done. Changing this to setting up email first.

Hiking and the outdoors

• Sneak in a walk at 11am
  • DONE! Nice walk through the yacht harbor.

Accessibility

• Reach out to Tina and that one Innovation Week person
  • DONE! Now scheduled to be the accessibility champion for Innovation Week.

Remodel

• Find out if that one vendor has a local showroom
  • DONE! No joy on the dealer thing. Ordered some samples instead.

This weekend:

• Set up site email
  • Go for hike in Henry Cowell
  • Talk about wall color in kitchen with spousal unit

Other stuff

• I still haven't found a good format for these micro-updates. All I know is that based on past experience they are important to keep me moving forward...even if I'm just writing 'not done' a zillion times in a row.
  • Made an appt for an initial chat with a financial advisor. Time to put some of my anxiety to rest!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Oct 7

Well, clearly THAT didn't work. Back to weekly updates. I'll get there...I'll just try to fail faster. 😉

Blogging 

• Found a template
  • Which needs to be drastically customized
  • Fiddled with host/domain settings to get email to work and eventually gave up. Will just transfer the domain the host...if I had known it was going to be so hard, I would have done it that way in the first place.
  • Wrote a tagline
  • Learning to use the interface

Hiking and the outdoors

• Snuck in a walk here and there, but not as a regular thing.
  • I'm not liking how this is going. It's too easy to get involved with work stuff and just end up sitting in front of my monitor all day.
  • Now that the weather has cooled down, going for a walk after work is more doable. 
  • Starting today!

Accessibility

• Connected with all the teams.
  • Gathered some tips/videos/things-of-interest for Innovation Week. Still more to do, but getting there.

Remodel

• The penultimate version of the cabinet design and contract is in my inbox!
  • Caught a couple of items that weren't called. Getting those explicitly added now.
  • Tile samples arrived. They are nice, but, of course, expensive. Of course!

Other stuff

• Made flu and booster appts for me and the spousal unit.
  • Initial meeting with a financial advisor who only wanted on-going relationships to the tune of $500 a month forever. She can go whistle for it.

Next up:

• Go for a hike in Henry Cowell after work
  • Get list of appliances to designer, finalize the design, and sign the cabinetry contract
  • Start writing my home page

Go, team!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Oct 14

I'm feeling pretty good. For fear of putting the whammy on things, yeah, I'm feeling pretty good.

• Had a delightful check-in with my quack homeopathic doc. Holy smokes! I think this stuff is working.
  • I feel like I finally have time to think about, you know, stuff.
  • I feel like that ol' thick shell I've had around me is starting to dissolve, and the splinter is ready to come out. 

I actually haven't felt like this in quite a while, so, of course, I think there's probably something wrong. Maybe I have anthrax.

Blogging 

• Drafted a content strategy for the site. 
  • Hey, figured I might as well think ahead for the day I have a team of writers creating articles. 

Hiking and the outdoors

• Well, boo. Nada.
  • It's been pretty cold, drippy, and dreary here, but that's no excuse, especially since I'm supposed to be some bad-ass adventurer.
  • I'll do better next week.

Accessibility

• Talked to a bunch of people.
  • Reviewed a bunch of existing resources, most of which need a refresh.
  • Let my boss know that this was going to be my #1 focus for the year.

Remodel

• Laid down some do-re-mi and placed the cabinetry order!
  • We placed the order, I tell you! Eeeeeet eeeeeeees doooooooonnnne.
  • Called for strong drink after writing the check.

Other stuff

• Made flu and booster appts for me and the spousal unit.
  • Initial meeting with a financial advisor who only wanted on-going relationships to the tune of $500 a month forever. She can go whistle for it.

Next up:

• Go for a hike in Henry Cowell this weekend. It can be a short one.
  • Order appliances. Ye  gods.
  • Start writing my home page

Have a wonderful weekend, my little Rebels!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Oct 21

I think I'm starting to see the results of the Information Diet I put myself on at work. I just seem to have more energy to think about things. 

Next up: take control of Slack! 

Blogging 

• Home page done.
  • Created draft Terms and Privacy pages.
  • Did a TON of research on LLCs, why, when, and how. Still thinking about this.
  • Did MORE research on merchandising avenues and techniques.
  • Realized this morning that I was using the research as an excuse not to write anything.
  • Oh, the insidiousness of pencil-sharpening!

Hiking and the outdoors

• Took some fall pics of what's blooming in the garden. Need to get in the practice.
  • Great mid-week hike up in the redwoods.
  • Then it hit 90 for the rest of the week and was WAY too hot to move.
  • Cooled down today. Am planning on skipping out early for a light hike along the river.

Accessibility

• Talked to people which led to other people which led to persuading the RIGHT people to include more inclusive designs in our illustration library.
  • WIN!
  • Yay for me!

Remodel

• Ordered appliances. 6 month wait for the refrigerator. Doh!
  • Ordered the sink.
  • The spousal unit fell in love with a bad-ass farmhouse apron front model, so that's what we ordered.
  • Over budget now and work hasn't even started.
  • Sobering up.
  • Now rethinking all other materials decisions as a way to bring costs back in line.
  • Farewell gorgeous $60/sq ft hand-painted tile!

Other stuff

• Got the flu and boosters. No side effects! Yay!
  • Learned about back-door and mega-back-door Roth IRAs. Wha....?? Who knew? Should have started doing this years ago, but, oh well. 
  • Set up some stuff.

Next up:

• Get up early on Sunday for Fall Creek hiking.
  • Make appt to choose shower system.
  • Start writing my About page.

Human Adventurer

Tues, Nov 1

Doh! Forgot to check in on Friday. I'll do better next time. You know, maybe. 

Blogging 

• Realized that site design and tech stuff had become a major roadblock to moving forward with actual content.
  • Reached to someone for help---which is HUGE for me. I got a 'maybe' in response, so I'm going to find a backup.
  • 'Maybe' ain't good enough for me anymore. ANOTHER revelation!

Hiking and the outdoors

• A couple of nice hikes, including a GORGEOUS walk in the woods at Fall Creek.
  • Pumpkin carving outside in the chilly fall weather.
  • Need to do more, but something is better than nuthin'. 

Accessibility

• Talked to people to find out why our entire accessibility site had been deprecated.
  • Found out why....and got things changed to 'Needs Refresh.'
  • Am now on the project to refresh. 😉

Remodel

• Picked out backsplash tile.
  • Picked out bathroom subway wall tile.
  • Followed up with designer on scheduling and details on ordering stuff.
  • A tad nervous because they cashed my check but I don't have a scheduled start date.
  • Designer on vacay until mid-Nov.
  • Hmm. I'm sure everything is fine.

Other stuff

• I continue to have old Life Stuff surface in my brain as a result of my homeopathic remedy.
  • Can't wait for when all the trauma gives way to things like imagined slights.
  • Coughing is much better, though.

Next up:

• Plan good hike for this weekend.
  • Try out a new recipe or invite a friend over for dinner.
  • Get another referral for help setting up my site.

Human Adventurer

Tues, Nov 4

Oh wow. So much good stuff happening!

Blogging 

• Met with the person who will be helping me with my site. 
  • Reached at agreement and a timeline.
  • Gave her access to necessary accounts and assets.
  • Got a registered agent.
  • Registered as an LLC.
  • Working on terms, privacy, and moderation policies.
  • We're on our way!
  • Yay!

Hiking and the outdoors

• Rainy weather but squeezed in a couple of nice walks between squalls. 

Accessibility

• Spent a few hours refreshing pages.
  • Then found out I was working on a deprecated site.
  • Hilarity ensued.

Remodel

• Talking about bathroom floor-age. 
  • Not much activity at the moment.
  • Really, actually getting started on actual work is months away.
  • Looked at a lot of pictures.

Other stuff

• Learned a new recipe! What? Fact.
  • Lung function continues to get better.
  • Able to clearly identify things that cause a reaction.
  • Among other things, I was basically eating a nightshade stew several times a month. 
  • Also, beer. Boo!

Next up:

• Plan good hike for this weekend.
  • Make a nice dinner for a friend on Saturday.
  • Mack down on those policy pages.

Human Adventurer

Fri, Nov 11

Woke up with crazy-low energy. Oh well. I can still go out there and get 'er done!

Blogging 

• Finished moderation page and I'm actually happy with it.
  • Terms and privacy are  now in draft mode.
  • Found a bunch of good pics and gave my helper access to them. 
  • Site is coming along.
  • Registered as an LLC. (Wait. What? Fact.)
  • I really really really want to get the admin stuff done. Boy howdy, do I ever.

Hiking and the outdoors

• Meeting-packed week, but got in a couple of pretty walks around the block here and there.
  • Nice after-work hike up in the rainy redwoods.
  • Not feeling very zippy right now. Rethinking weekend hike to make shorter/easier. 
  • Not super-pumped about how I'm doing in this area. It's my NUMBER ONE life goal, and I've been consistently putting this on the back burner.
  • No bueno.

Accessibility

• Fixed a bunch of stuff.
  • Yay for me!

Remodel

• Sink arrived and we went to check it out. 
  • Whoa. It's going to be a show-stopper in the kitchen. 
  • Decided we both like polished nickel. 
  • Not much else going on.

Other stuff

• Big step backward with the ol' lung function stuff. Think that development may be tied to whiskey shots and cookie eating.
  • Bulbs and seeds arrived! Got to get 'em in the ground.

Next up:

• Plan scaled-back hike for this weekend.
  • Move the 'hiking' section of my NF battle log report to the top. It is, after all, the most important thing and should be #1. 
  • Start up yoga in the mornings again. It doesn't have to be a lot...just something.

Okay! Got get 'em!

• Like 1

Human Adventurer

Fri, Dec 2

Whoa. Progress all over the place! Yay for me!

Hiking and the outdoors

• Did some work in a couple of garden beds.
  • Planted 75 daffodil bulbs.
  • Planted a zillion seeds...and then watched the local finches chow down. 
  • No walking or hiking, but lots of movement.

Blogging 

• Terms, privacy, and moderation statements are all done and uploaded. Done, I tell you. Done!
  • Site looks like your basic blogging website now. Nothin' fancy. Which makes sense, since there's no actual useful content on there at this point. 
  • I'm now an LLC with a registered agent and EIN and everything. This may have been overkill, but what the hell.
  • Email sign-up, contact form, and other admin stuff now done. 
  • Posted a couple of very old pieces of writing up there, just to have something.
  • Getting close!

Accessibility

• Fixed some more stuff.
  • Found out there's an entire design system site being constructed on a new platform from the ground up. The people building it just copied someone else's accessibility site and just plugged it in there. Argh. Oh well. Job security!

Remodel

• Looked at bathroom floor ideas but didn't really agree on anything. This part might be tough.
  • Appliances are all in, except for the refrigerator.
  • Decided on getting seeded glass locally for the cabinet doors in the kitchen. Yay, small businesses!
  • Starting to clear out portions of the basement in order to have someplace to store everything while the work is going on. This is a HUGE project in and of itself.

Other stuff

• Went to the quack doctor who pointed out that small steps backward related to a lack of exercise and a bunch of crap eating are to be expected. He gave me some booster-ish stuff and told me to hang in there. Compared to where I was in January, I'm still lightyears ahead. 

Next up:

• It's supposed to rain this weekend, but hoping to knock off a little early today to sneak in a walk in the woods.
  • Write the 'About' page.
  • Contact designer and appliance people about the refrigerator.
  • Get back on track with cooking, eating well, and all of that goodness.

Yes, Rebels! Teeing myself up to finish strong!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Dec 9

Dang. After all that incredible progress in November, this last week has been a sad, sad situation.

I did get through a lot of Cobra Kai, though. 

Hiking and the outdoors

• Nada

Blogging 

• Nada

Accessibility

• Nada

Remodel

• Nada

Other stuff

• Tons and tons of gnarly work stuff happening this week. Big win for me in not falling apart, though. Yay for me!

Next up:

• All the stuff from last time.
  • Write the 'About' page.
  • Contact designer and appliance people about the refrigerator.
  • Get back on track with cooking, eating well, and all of that goodness.

Yes, Rebels! Teeing myself up to finish strong!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Dec 16 

Back on track! Bonus points for mailing all my Christmas cards and getting up this morning at 5:00am to write an essay.

Hiking and the outdoors

• Nada
  • Wish I could this one was better, but it is what it is.

Blogging 

• About page written and up on site.
  • Tested site for accessibility and found image gaps.
  • Currently renaming all img filenames and adding alt text.
  • Asked my helper for an invoice to wrap up the expenses for 2022 tax purposes.
  • Almost there!

Accessibility

• Finished all the updates to the old page!
  • Reviewed  the proposed new page and found it to be horrific!
  • Informed a bunch of people of the plan so I'm not working in a silo!
  • Yay for me!

Remodel

• Set up an appointment with the designer to talk tile.

Other stuff

• Started making a healthy lunch again.
  • Tried a new recipe and it was really good--and easy to make.
  • Had one of those homeopathic moments where a new dosage had me reliving chiildhood trauma. Took a couple of days to get that one out of my system. Better now. 

Next up:

• 2-week vacation starts today at 5:00pm. Woo hoo!
  • Will spend this time doing some hiking and outdoors-like stuff.
  • And napping. Power napping.

Alrighty, Rebels! The end of the year is nigh!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Dec 30

Last update of the year! Yay!

Hiking and the outdoors

• Welp, it's been raining raining raining here, but got in a very nice walk in the redwoods during the 3 hour window where it wasn't raining.
  • The last 2 days saw me doing some yoga-ish stuff for the first time in a long time. Gotta get flexy and strong for hiking in 2023.

Blogging 

• Pushed the site  live! Live, I tell you! Live!
  • I then spent a couple of hours fixing everything that was broken.
  • Next up: editorial calendar and actual writing.

Accessibility

• On vacation since 12/17, so nada. 
  • Looking forward to getting back to this next week.

Remodel

• We have a start date! A start date, I tell you!
  • March 20.
  • We picked out kitchen floor tile (because the first choice didn't actually work so well).
  • Designer is now doing the tile plan for both rooms so we can place our orders.

Other stuff

• You know, it really did take a while to shake off that reliving-childhood-trauma thing. Like, well past Christmas. Better now.
  • Have kept on track with a fairly healthy hot lunch that's quick and easy to fix.
  • Looked at the finances through the eyes of someone who would reallllly like to retire in 5 years. This may not be possible, but let's act like it is, just for fun.
  • Did some great power-napping with kitty-kins. 

Next up:

• Joined the Anit-Challenge Challenge! Woo hoo!
  • Reset for 2023!
  • Yay!

I'll do a year-end wrap-up in a bit. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Human Adventurer

Annnnnnd, that's a wrap!

Time to grade myself to see how I did! Woo hoo!

1. Eat right and take care of myself

• Did great with the eating, and inadvertently lost a bit of weight to boot.
  • Prioritized all medical appointments and did what I was told to do.
  • Connected with a cool quack doctor. (Yay, homeopathy! Who knew?)
  • As part of the homeopathy stuff, inadvertently addressed some underlying childhood trauma for the first time. Like, ever. 
  • As a result of all of this, I feel lighter, healthier, and more optimistic than I have in years.
  • A+

2. At work, I now care about just 2 things: accessibility and partnerships

• This was a huge change for me, and reduced my general work anxiety level HUGELY.
  • I put a stickie on my desktop to remind me to ask myself 3 things when a niggle arises.
  • To with, will caring about this...
    • Get me hiking and camping more?
    • Strengthen my peer partnerships?
    • Make an impact on accessibility?
  • Sticking to this has made me less of an oaf in meetings, and a better and more pleasant partner overall.
  • There's still some work to do to repair old damage, but I'm well on my way.
  • A-

3. Keep moving forward on the remodel

• Looking back, it now seems sorta silly that this had to be an official goal to get things going, but there ya go.
  • We have a start date, cabinets on order, a strong start to picking out materials and accoutrements.
  • We'll be challenged by living in a 10-ft trailer for 8 weeks in 2023, but we are trained professionals and this does not phase us.
  • All in all, I'm really happy with how far we've come. 
  • A

POWER WORD FOR 2022: Joy!

• Joy was achieved! 
  • Mostly in the form of wonderful hikes in the redwoods and surrounding hills.
  • Awful foot issue now managed.
  • Looking forward to doing more in 2023.
  • Yay!
  • A

Okay! That's 2 As, an A- and an A+! What's that spell for achievement on those 2022 goals?

A

Woo hoo! Bring on 2023! I'll meet you there, Rebels!

• Like 1

Human Adventurer