General Chat Thread

Come one, come all - our next challenge is about to begin!

Please pull up a chair and take a look at our menu:

The barkeep is available as you start to put your challenge together - just head up to the bar and let them know what you'd like :)

• Like 6
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Thanks, Tanktimus! Wow, I've been out of the beer world for a minute, Shiner Bock used to be my favorite, but I had no idea Spoetzel had gotten fancy with the flavors. 

I'll get the second round :D 

IMG_2174(1).jpg.722a233989ff8312271cd6d83888cb7e.jpg

• Like 3

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

22 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Thanks, Tanktimus! Wow, I've been out of the beer world for a minute, Shiner Bock used to be my favorite, but I had no idea Spoetzel had gotten fancy with the flavors. 

They are amazing. That's not even the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj8otvYQP02MFsKNT5USF

I'll have one of these in hopes that the weather will begin to act like the time of year these should be drank, instead of how it has been lately.

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Sliding in with a bottle of homemade mead. Not mine - it's on "the list", but not this challenge and maybe not for another year or 2 - but this is made by a friend of mine. During this challenge I will be embarking on my dream of Mountain Living (tm) so my challenges will be around THAT (along with stepping along to being the best me I can be :) )

image.png.f4440134820007e8ca35d5e739b274c4.png

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

A hot chocolate with whipped cream seems to fit this cold weather quite nicely. ☕

Hot Chocolate Drink GIF

• Like 3

Lover of all things Dragons and stuff -~-~-~ Sunrunner | LVL 3* 601|121 -185

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: The Candlestone (46%)

2022 Books completed: The Silmarillion

Previous Challenges: 13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Since these calories don't count I'll take a butterscotch White Russian please! 

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

53 minutes ago, Asha Phoenix said:

Books in Progress: The Silmarillion (55%)

I just noticed that. Hats off to you, I've never made it past about 5% :)

• Thanks 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

8 minutes ago, Athaclena said:

I just noticed that. Hats off to you, I've never made it past about 5% :)

Thank you! It's taken me close to 2 years.... 😅 I'm hoping to finish it soon so I can move on to other books. lo.l Not that I haven't enjoyed this one, I just told myself no other physical books till I'm done with this one. Which hasn't been quite the motivation I was hoping it would be. Maybe taking away audiobooks as well would help. 🤔

• Like 1

Lover of all things Dragons and stuff -~-~-~ Sunrunner | LVL 3* 601|121 -185

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: The Candlestone (46%)

2022 Books completed: The Silmarillion

Previous Challenges: 13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

4 minutes ago, Asha Phoenix said:

Thank you! It's taken me close to 2 years.... 😅 I'm hoping to finish it soon so I can move on to other books

I've learned to be "ok" that I didn't finish a book. I read for pleasure and to get away :) There are a few "OMG you haven't read X" in genres I typically adore that..... I just couldn't get into.  It's a great goal - but I'd probably do something like read a chapter a week or a chapter before starting another book - that way it doesn't quite FEEL like punishment :)

• Like 4

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

A half elf wanders into the bar, looking around in a slightly dazed manner. After a moment he seems to remember where he is, and strolls over to prop up the bar. Pint of the black stuff, barkeep, he says, with a smile, knowing that the drink will be poured before the sentence is finished.

...I wrote the word dazed, and now I can't get this out of my head. Enjoy!

16 hours ago, Athaclena said:

Sliding in with a bottle of homemade mead. Not mine - it's on "the list", but not this challenge and maybe not for another year or 2 - but this is made by a friend of mine. During this challenge I will be embarking on my dream of Mountain Living (tm) so my challenges will be around THAT (along with stepping along to being the best me I can be :) )

image.png.f4440134820007e8ca35d5e739b274c4.png

I want to meet your friend, partly because they make their own mead, but mostly because of what they named it.

• Like 4

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 7  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 2  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Honour amongst thieves

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 2/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, Asha Phoenix said:

Thank you! It's taken me close to 2 years.... 😅 I'm hoping to finish it soon so I can move on to other books. lo.l Not that I haven't enjoyed this one, I just told myself no other physical books till I'm done with this one. Which hasn't been quite the motivation I was hoping it would be. Maybe taking away audiobooks as well would help. 🤔

On 2/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Athaclena said:

I've learned to be "ok" that I didn't finish a book. I read for pleasure and to get away :) There are a few "OMG you haven't read X" in genres I typically adore that..... I just couldn't get into.  It's a great goal - but I'd probably do something like read a chapter a week or a chapter before starting another book - that way it doesn't quite FEEL like punishment :)

I used to have a huge problem putting books down, too, but I saw Neil Gaiman speak once, and he talked about how he encourages people to put down books they aren't enjoying, are struggling through, etc - either for a temporary period or for good.

His reasoning was that every second you spend either stressing about how you can't get through a book you feel like you should, or spend time forcing your way reading a book that you're not enjoying, you're losing out on the opportunity to read something you're going to enjoy much better, and we can only read so many books in a lifetime. 

So now I stop books all the time, and I enjoy reading much more again :)

• Like 12
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I used to have a huge problem putting books down, too, but I saw Neil Gaiman speak once, and he talked about how he encourages people to put down books they aren't enjoying, are struggling through, etc - either for a temporary period or for good.

Yep. In fact, I stopped reading altogether for a very long time. And I grew up a BOOK WORM. Thankfully, mom decided that taking away books as a punishment wasn't a good idea because she wanted me to read, and indeed encouraged me to read literally whatever I wanted. Right down to telling the local librarian (yes, 1 person worked at our library - I'm actually shocked we even had one the town is so small) that I was allowed to check out any book I wanted. But I had implemented a rule that I had a "to be read file" and I HAD to pull from that - and sometimes nothing in there "spoke" to me ..... and so I stopped reading. It wasn't until I took a job traveling and just needed something to do in the airport, in the air, at the hotel, etc. Not every plane has movies. Not every hotel has decent internet\tv service. So books is how I got through criss crossing North America every week :)

Now, I'll put a book down and come back (or not) or HECK if I just need to de-stress I'll re-read an entire 17 book series. And not feel the least bit guilty about my "to be read" pile. And I read a LOT more now. Even if it's a "there's nothing on tv, nothing new in my book list looks interesting, screw it, I'm rereading Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy - next one is out in a few months"!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

4 hours ago, deftona said:

9 Most Expensive Cocktails In The World: Diamond Sparkled Champagne Or  Martini? - Financesonline.com

One of each of these, please. I plan to kick back here for a little while. 

Barkeep, make that two :D 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 2/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, spezzy said:

His reasoning was that every second you spend either stressing about how you can't get through a book you feel like you should, or spend time forcing your way reading a book that you're not enjoying, you're losing out on the opportunity to read something you're going to enjoy much better, and we can only read so many books in a lifetime. 

Neil Gaiman is wise and I completely agree with this reasoning. We have a finite amount of time we can spend on reading. We should not waste it on something we don't genuinely want to read.

• Like 3

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

I am, among other things, a pen nerd - and I thought this might be of interest to some folks here. The Retro 51 "Fire and Dice" Rollerball just dropped as a Goulet Pens exclusive.  I haven't touched a D&D character sheet in <cough> 40+ years, and I'm not really a rollerball fan, yet still I am tempted. 

Spoilered just because the picture is huge

Spoiler

Retro-51-Tornado-Rollerball-Fire_Dice-4_

• Like 4

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple