Jump to content

Spezzy 2022 #2: The Level One Magus


spezzy

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, spezzy said:

I mean, in all honesty - it's really not that bad, you're mildly uncomfortable for maybe 2-3 minutes while shuffling around outside, and being uncomfortable can be good for us, right? ;)

 

Meant to comment on this too. 

 

This is actually my favorite aspect about living in the Far North. Living through winter feels like Human Against Nature and building up your Frost Resistance has always made me feel superhuman. 😎

  • Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Link to comment

And then there's the feeling in the spring when you were outside all winter and you take your first truly deep breath of non-frigid air. My lungs are always like "yes. yes. we can work with this!"

 

@spezzy may I drag you over to my challenge at some point for shoulder work advice? My lats are the laziest bit of me to get with the program.

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Yesterday was LONG. I made some decisions that reduce my XP today. That's okay.

 

My Mom and I are starting to have dinner over video every Wednesday night, last night was the first one, and we were on the phone for over 4 hours. We had a really big, important, anxiety inducing conversation to have, and I'm really glad we had it - and I'm not upset that it pushed me way past my bedtime and that I chose to allow myself to sleep in today instead of earning my XP. This is definitely one of those situations where the conversation with my mother and then sleep afterwards were priority over getting up on time. 

 

I got in some bench press but no accessories, but I was happy to get something in before a 4 hour phone call - I knew I wouldn't want to bench after, so was proud of getting this in before.

 

Food was good. Too busy to snack, really!

 

 

 

Spoiler

1) Spellbooks - 15max per day, 105 max per week

  • Out of bed by 7am (5xp) - ☑☑☐☐☐☐☐ 
  • Review Spellbooks (5xp) - ☑☑☐☐☐☐☐
  • Review Cantrips (5xp)- ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Total so far: 20/105

 

2) Spellstrike - 10 max per day, 70 max per week

  • Daily training - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐

Total so far: 30/70

 

3) Arcane Pool - 15max per day, 105 max per week

  • Drink 3x water bottles - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 
  • Veggies with lunch and dinner - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 
  • No dopamine snacking - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 

Total so far: 45/105

 

4) Terrain Mastery -10 max per day, 70 max per week

  • Morning Walk (0xp) - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 
  • Go for a second afternoon walk in addition to my morning walk (10xp) - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 

Total so far: 30/70

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
18 hours ago, spezzy said:

and I'm not upset that it pushed me way past my bedtime and that I chose to allow myself to sleep in today instead of earning my XP. This is definitely one of those situations where the conversation with my mother and then sleep afterwards were priority over getting up on time. 

absolutely! is there a way you could still allocate yourself some points for wise decisions? 

Is the anxiety over now? Sounds like a weekly date will be a good thing :)

  • Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment
3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

absolutely! is there a way you could still allocate yourself some points for wise decisions? 

 

This is something I'll be working on. Mitigation still helps contribute towards goals even if stretches their completion time out, so to speak. When I'm playing an RPG, sometimes I can only play for 5 or 10 minutes at a time for whatever reason so I focus on getting my character into position or picking up the quests he needs for whatever achievement I'm working towards, and that's my approach to 2022 too. 😎

  • Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Link to comment

A quick little weekly update :) Things have been a bit crazy so a bit behind on tracking, but still working on everything!

 

Earned a total of 225xp last week, out of a total of 350 possible, so around 65%.  I'm happy with that for a zero week/test week!

 

Biggest issues were around

 

1) Getting up on time, and that had to do with me staying up too late. My schedule got thrown off Wednesday, and I just never recovered. I also want to modify this goal so it's just the time to get up on the week days, since weekends are a different routine, too.

2) Cantrips / Spellbooks are getting closer, but aren't enough to fully check off yet

3) Training / Second Walk - I get thrown off when my husband gets home for the weekend, so I just need to remember to do these when he's home. It's never a I don't want or I feel pressured not to, I legit just forget. 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler


1) Spellbooks - 15max per day, 105 max per week

  • Out of bed by 7am (5xp) - ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐ 
  • Review Spellbooks (5xp) - ☑☑☑☑☑☐☐
  • Review Cantrips (5xp)- ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Zero Week Total: 40/105

 

2) Spellstrike - 10 max per day, 70 max per week

  • Daily training - ☑☑☑☑☐☑☐

Zero Week Total: 50/70

 

3) Arcane Pool - 15max per day, 105 max per week

  • Drink 3x water bottles - ☑☑☑☑☑☑☐ 
  • Veggies with lunch and dinner - ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑ 
  • No dopamine snacking - ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑

Zero Week Total: 100/105

 

4) Terrain Mastery -10 max per day, 70 max per week

  • Morning Walk (0xp) - ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑
  • Go for a second afternoon walk in addition to my morning walk (10xp) - ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐ 

Zero Week Total: 40/70

 

Zero Week Total XP: 225

XP Remaining until next level up: 4775

 

Zero Week Points Allocation:

 

This week is going to be a tiny bit different as I'm traveling some of it, but still gonna make things work. 

 

1) Spellbooks - total of 15xp

  • Outside by 7:15am during the work week- 5xp
  • Review Spellbooks at end of day - 5xp
  • Review cantrips end of day - 5xp

*Modifying this to being outside by 7:15 instead of up at 7, because this also encourages me to not look at my phone and get moving. If I get distracted, there's no point in getting up earlier.

 

2) Spellstrike - total of 10xp

  • Daily training - 10xp

3) Arcane Pool - 15xp total

  • Drink 3x water bottles - 5xp
  • Veggies with lunch and dinner - 5xp
  • No dopamine snacking - 5xp

4) Terrain Mastery - 10xp total

  • Go for a second afternoon walk in addition to my morning walk - 10xp

 

 

  • Like 3
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
On 2/11/2022 at 4:11 AM, KB Girl said:

absolutely! is there a way you could still allocate yourself some points for wise decisions? 

 

 

So I've thought a lot about this, and talked it over with Rurik this weekend, and decided against it - for a few reasons:

1) I already have it built in that I can move something from one day to the next if I need to (though that doesn't work with things like bedtime/etc)

 

2) I am adjusting where I'm earning XP from each week, and as a part of that reviewing if the right things get the right amount of XP. If I consistently don't hit a goal it because other things are more important, I'm not getting the experience points doing that thing - because I'm not doing the thing, so I shouldn't earn points for it. I can, however, quickly adjust my XP allocation for the next week so it's a smarter goal.  Not earning the XP, and figuring out why, is something I think should be part of the process in creating goals that are more realistic. 

 

3) I've created the system so that I should level up every 3 to 4 months with 80% consistency. The 80% consistency allows for "points for wise decisions" in a way, itself, even if my actual points aren't going up. 

 

 

 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

 

This is something I'll be working on. Mitigation still helps contribute towards goals even if stretches their completion time out, so to speak. When I'm playing an RPG, sometimes I can only play for 5 or 10 minutes at a time for whatever reason so I focus on getting my character into position or picking up the quests he needs for whatever achievement I'm working towards, and that's my approach to 2022 too. 😎

 

Absolutely - I really like the "getting character into position" analogy - and it's something too, where maybe my wise decision is to skip a workout and do 2 the next day because my body is too fatigued. I can take 5 minutes to get myself into position to make the next day's xp earning higher. I may not earn the XP that day, per se, but making it easier to earn it the next day is still insanely valuable. 

 

 

On 2/11/2022 at 4:11 AM, KB Girl said:

Is the anxiety over now? Sounds like a weekly date will be a good thing :)

 

Anxiety is less, it's always good having a tough conversation DONE, but the situation is still anxiety inducing. I have what I need now to start dealing with the situation on my own, though, because part of my healing process was having that conversation. So it didn't solve it, but it helped a lot.  The weekly date will be very good all around - some things might be a little weird at first but we're learning how to get along as two adults, which is something we weren't always good at when we were an adult and a child (or even as a young adult and an adult).  I've always wanted a really close, positive relationship with my Mother, so this is  worth the work. 

  • Like 7
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Anxiety is less, it's always good having a tough conversation DONE, but the situation is still anxiety inducing. I have what I need now to start dealing with the situation on my own, though, because part of my healing process was having that conversation. So it didn't solve it, but it helped a lot.  The weekly date will be very good all around - some things might be a little weird at first but we're learning how to get along as two adults, which is something we weren't always good at when we were an adult and a child (or even as a young adult and an adult).  I've always wanted a really close, positive relationship with my Mother, so this is  worth the work. 

Many people wait to do this work till it's too late then regret it. I applaud your wisdom and courage. Furthermore  I'm happy for you.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
On 2/10/2022 at 7:05 AM, Jarric said:

 

I had never considered that you could have cold weather without ice being an issue, so that statement is a real eye-opener for me. It just doesn't get cold enough here for that to happen.

 

Yeah, it's something I never realized, either, growing up in New England where ice is definitely an issue a lot.

 

But what happens is that when the temp stays so far below freezing for so long, there's no water to turn anything in to ice - so we don't see ice until it gets warm enough to thaw, then freeze. The sidewalks are dreadful right now:

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ5NJi4JhyL/

 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

 

Can attest. I can handle any snow but ice is downright terrifying - especially on the roads. Just give me a consistent low and don't tease me with unseasonably warm weather until it's spring.

 

... although it was nice to see a pleasant day for our wedding last year! 😁

 

 

And hey it's gonna be -11 on our anniversary so basically like a heat wave haha

 

 

 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, DaemonCorax said:

 

This. This is why we own waaaay to many sets of tires for both bikes and cars. I even have studded tires for my commuter bike, but I'm not running them this year because I rigged my non-tubeless wheels for tubeless tires and undoing it would be a mess. I live far enough from work (8.5 mi) that if there is significant ice in certain places it could be dangerous and/or take me over an hour to get to work. I have rules about commutes over an hour, ice, and wind over 45 mph - which is surprisingly common where I am. If things just STAYED cold for 6 months the way they did in PA it would be so much easier.

 

That said I'm not going to turn up my nose at a 55 degree road ride today.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, DaemonCorax said:

And then there's the feeling in the spring when you were outside all winter and you take your first truly deep breath of non-frigid air. My lungs are always like "yes. yes. we can work with this!"

 

@spezzy may I drag you over to my challenge at some point for shoulder work advice? My lats are the laziest bit of me to get with the program.

 

I definitely think that I'd skip out on bike commuting if I lived in a place with a ton of ice! I have studded tires for my boots, and even with those I slip sometimes! 

 

It's interesting because I know exactly what you're talking about with that big breath of fresh non-frigid air - but I also get that same feeling from a nice crisp frigid air, too! Just not breathing through my nose - then my little nose hairs freeze hahaha

 

And yes I will head there next :)

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, spezzy said:

But what happens is that when the temp stays so far below freezing for so long, there's no water to turn anything in to ice - so we don't see ice until it gets warm enough to thaw, then freeze. 

 

When that happens, I highly recommend one of these:

 

 image.jpeg.fff32ac88bb985048a8108e9704f6deb.jpeg

 

Because they can go really fast! :D 

  • Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Link to comment
14 hours ago, spezzy said:

2) I am adjusting where I'm earning XP from each week, and as a part of that reviewing if the right things get the right amount of XP. If I consistently don't hit a goal it because other things are more important, I'm not getting the experience points doing that thing - because I'm not doing the thing, so I shouldn't earn points for it. I can, however, quickly adjust my XP allocation for the next week so it's a smarter goal.  Not earning the XP, and figuring out why, is something I think should be part of the process in creating goals that are more realistic. 

 

This makes perfect sense :) and I also like that "getting the character in position" analogy. 

 

14 hours ago, spezzy said:

Anxiety is less, it's always good having a tough conversation DONE, but the situation is still anxiety inducing. I have what I need now to start dealing with the situation on my own, though, because part of my healing process was having that conversation. So it didn't solve it, but it helped a lot.  The weekly date will be very good all around - some things might be a little weird at first but we're learning how to get along as two adults, which is something we weren't always good at when we were an adult and a child (or even as a young adult and an adult).  I've always wanted a really close, positive relationship with my Mother, so this is  worth the work. 

Good, I'm glad! 

  • Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment
19 hours ago, spezzy said:

Modifying this to being outside by 7:15 instead of up at 7, because this also encourages me to not look at my phone and get moving. If I get distracted, there's no point in getting up earlier.

 

I may have to steal a variation on this for a future challenge - my timekeeping of a morning is shocking.

 

15 hours ago, spezzy said:

The sidewalks are dreadful right now:

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ5NJi4JhyL/

 

Aww he's so cute! Are you sure that's not a frozen river you're walking on though? :P

 

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Link to comment
On 2/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, Scaly Freak said:

 

When that happens, I highly recommend one of these:

 

 image.jpeg.fff32ac88bb985048a8108e9704f6deb.jpeg

 

Because they can go really fast! :D 

 

hahaha I've told Felix I'm gonna get a sled and a harness and have him just pull me around the snow 😂 

 

 

On 2/15/2022 at 3:49 AM, KB Girl said:

This makes perfect sense :) and I also like that "getting the character in position" analogy. 

 

How to build a system that allows for some kindness, but not so much that we don't do anything at all, and creates some discipline, without so much that we burn out or hate it - easy, right? 😂😂😂😂 

 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:35 AM, Jarric said:

 

I may have to steal a variation on this for a future challenge - my timekeeping of a morning is shocking.

 

Honestly this style of goal setting here has been a game changer for me. I started off with making it a strange game, actually - our mailman always delivers the mail right around 8:30am, so I made it so that I had to first be outside before the mail came, then I had to be back inside before the mail came - now the mail comes waaaay after I get back inside hahah

 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:35 AM, Jarric said:

 

Aww he's so cute! Are you sure that's not a frozen river you're walking on though? :P

 

 

I mean it basically was haha! The day everything thawed was way worse - those areas were a good 6-8" of standing water 😳 

 

Gonna be so much flooding this year!

 

 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, DaemonCorax said:

Oh man. Yak Trax for the win. That is not a sidewalk. 14/10 that is an ice noodle.

 

I have ice cleats and love them, but my biggest complaint is that if I walk on pavement (like, say someone was great at their sidewalks and got no ice on them), the cleats get pushed sideways and are uncomfortable to walk on - are the yak trax style ones better for something like that? So if you are walking on NON ice do they feel at least not wobbily? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I have ice cleats and love them, but my biggest complaint is that if I walk on pavement (like, say someone was great at their sidewalks and got no ice on them), the cleats get pushed sideways and are uncomfortable to walk on - are the yak trax style ones better for something like that? So if you are walking on NON ice do they feel at least not wobbily? 

 

I've used two kinds - The lower profile one is a thick net of rubber with basically springs wrapped around it. They're fairly non-squishy. I've been meaning to buy the yaktrax "run" version for myself for trail running where microspikes are overkill. I have microspikes for hiking that are more like baby crampons. Walking with microspikes on pavement get a little weird, but they are amazing on trails and pack a serious punch.

 

9a761998-3800-4e81-ae18-47634cea0023?size=784x588889358b6-2f04-41f5-82bd-662dd7c808a6?size=784x588

  • Like 1

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
On 2/16/2022 at 4:23 PM, spezzy said:

hahaha I've told Felix I'm gonna get a sled and a harness and have him just pull me around the snow 😂

 

Surely Rurik would be better?

  • Haha 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Link to comment
On 2/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, spezzy said:

hahaha I've told Felix I'm gonna get a sled and a harness and have him just pull me around the snow 😂 

 

One of my old friends, before I left Sweden, actually trained their dog to pull a small sled when they were out doing errands in the winter. They'd walk to the store and the dog pulled some of the groceries back home, that kind of thing.  And the dog loved it. Was extremely proud of that harness and sled, and took his sled job very seriously. :) 

  • Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Link to comment
On 2/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, Scaly Freak said:

 

When that happens, I highly recommend one of these:

 

 image.jpeg.fff32ac88bb985048a8108e9704f6deb.jpeg

 

Because they can go really fast! :D 

 

I don't even know which side you are supposed to be on. Which side is the front? 

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Link to comment
2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

 

I don't even know which side you are supposed to be on. Which side is the front? 

 

You stand behind the handle bars, with one foot on one of the metal bars, and then you kick with the other foot. They've been around in Scandinavian countries for as long as anyone knows, and they go crazy fast on ice. :) 

 

Introduction demo video for the uninitiated: 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

You stand behind the handle bars, with one foot on one of the metal bars, and then you kick with the other foot. They've been around in Scandinavian countries for as long as anyone knows, and they go crazy fast on ice. :) 

 

Introduction demo video for the uninitiated: 

 

 

 

It's a good thing I'm not farther north, because I would have to try one and likely break my neck

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, RES said:

It's a good thing I'm not farther north, because I would have to try one and likely break my neck

 

But that's the beauty of the spark, or the kick sled as it apparently is called in English -they are deceptively stable. ;) 

  • Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

But that's the beauty of the spark, or the kick sled as it apparently is called in English -they are deceptively stable. ;) 

You underestimate what I klutz I can be ;) 

 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, RES said:

You underestimate what I klutz I can be ;) 

 

I'm a total klutz too, and I don't remember falling very often. Of course, if you are going down an icy hill at top speed and attempting to take a sharp curve while tilting sharply... well, I don't think that was the kicksled making that fall happen ;) 

  • Haha 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines