We don't get to see what happens under the soil* during the winter while seeds are apparently dormant to the eyes of us surfacers. The same is true of some stages of recovery. We put in the work, and don't see what happens as we go through the monotony of the "keep at it and results will surprise you" stage of, frankly, a lot of things. For me this applies to burnout recovery. Last challenge I started recovering from burnout, now I continue the work. The newb gains will quickly come to an end, and frankly I'm tired of quitting when the newb gains dry out. This time I want to stick with the healing things.

What will heal me:

• Connection
    • Intentional time with the family
    • Continued attendance with my small group
    • Being on the forums
  • Movement
    • KB workouts
    • Stretching
    • Walks
    • The small group mentioned above is a disc-golf small group that meets every Saturday. It will involve walking at least a mile and a half, so I get to double dip that and count it both for connection and movement
  • Mind and Soul
    • Regular (like five or six minutes at a time) meditation every day
    • Double down on faith based formation, including going to church and participating in small group (Milking it for all it's worth), as well as individual practices such as bible-reading and prayer
  • Formal help
    • Counseling
    • Some sort of spiritual retreat

Of what's listed above, The forums, meditation, bible reading and prayer, and counseling are pretty well locked in. 

The small group, intentional time with family, and everything under movement happen, and could benefit from a focus on consistency. I had never thought of it till writing this out, but exercise has effects that go both directions in time. It helps to heal stress from the past, and makes us stronger and more capable of dealing with things in the future.

The retreat thing is where I'll start something new. I have reached out to a retreat center, now I need to arrange time off from work (difficult since we are short-staffed) to attend.

*Unless it's one of those time lapse things where a seed is pressed up against glass under dirt, but for the purposes of this post we'll pretend that doesn't happen.

• Like 24

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Here to support you!  This looks great!!  I hope it gives you what you need!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I'm here for the "boring post-newb no-gains" phase. This is where the real shift occurs, and I like this for you (even though it is, as mentioned, boring).

Steady on, Captain.

patrick stewart GIF by HULU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Here for support and honestly, food ideas...I know not to come here hungry 

🫂 my friend

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had never thought of it till writing this out, but exercise has effects that go both directions in time. It helps to heal stress from the past, and makes us stronger and more capable of dealing with things in the future.

Hm that’s beautiful! 

• Thanks 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am so happy about your healing process :D 

Thank you. So am I! 

11 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Here to support you!  This looks great!!  I hope it gives you what you need!

I think it will.

11 hours ago, Heidi said:

I'm here for the "boring post-newb no-gains" phase. This is where the real shift occurs, and I like this for you (even though it is, as mentioned, boring).

Steady on, Captain.

patrick stewart GIF by HULU

Engage!

11 hours ago, RES said:

Here for support and honestly, food ideas...I know not to come here hungry 

🫂 my friend

You reminded me to tag my thread, thanks.

8 hours ago, Rookie said:

Steady as she goes! I’m here with you

Welcome aboard.

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

tenor.gif

That made me feel 7 years old (in a good way).

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

fitness spring GIF by JOMPER

I really like this.

6 hours ago, deftona said:

Here! And I have a similar theme this time around - it's uncanny! 

Healing buddies unite!

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hm that’s beautiful! 

Thank you 

17 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great stuff!

What kind of retreat?

A silent one with a spiritual director.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had never thought of it till writing this out, but exercise has effects that go both directions in time. It helps to heal stress from the past, and makes us stronger and more capable of dealing with things in the future.

a) this is beautiful, but also 

b) the Guardian of Forever (from Star Trek TOS The City on the Edge of Forever) looks like a kettlebell handle. So ... just sayin' 

:D

Guardian.jpg.1ec3df53f00bb3b685d3351b7e3703ee.jpg

I'm also doing things in the spiritual growth realm this challenge.  

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We don't get to see what happens under the soil* during the winter while seeds are apparently dormant to the eyes of us surfacers. The same is true of some stages of recovery. We put in the work, and don't see what happens as we go through the monotony of the "keep at it and results will surprise you" stage of, frankly, a lot of things. For me this applies to burnout recovery. Last challenge I started recovering from burnout, now I continue the work. The newb gains will quickly come to an end, and frankly I'm tired of quitting when the newb gains dry out. This time I want to stick with the healing things.

Beautiful and wise. I love it. Plant and water the seed and trust its blossoming to time and the universe, or God as you prefer.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It really does. This took me far too long to figure out as well, but I have finally reached the point where I realize that regular exercise is the armor that protects me from attacks in my upcoming battles. And this goes for mental strength as well as physical.

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

a) this is beautiful, but also 

b) the Guardian of Forever (from Star Trek TOS The City on the Edge of Forever) looks like a kettlebell handle. So ... just sayin' 

:D

Guardian.jpg.1ec3df53f00bb3b685d3351b7e3703ee.jpg

I'm also doing things in the spiritual growth realm this challenge.  

I AM THE KETTLEBELL ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER. BEFORE CROSSFIT WAS I WAS. I CAN BE SWUNG FOREVER. I HAVE NO MOVING PARTS. I DO NOT WEAR OUT.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Beautiful and wise. I love it. Plant and water the seed and trust its blossoming to time and the universe, or God as you prefer.

This really is the case. I can control watering, I can't control what the seed does.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

A well deserved one!

For sure :) 

33 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

It really does. This took me far too long to figure out as well, but I have finally reached the point where I realize that regular exercise is the armor that protects me from attacks in my upcoming battles. And this goes for mental strength as well as physical.

It's a way I'm going to try and reframe workouts.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

I wish you much healing this challenge and a strong foundation for future mental health.  Following for support.  

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
4 hours ago, Gemma said:

I AM THE KETTLEBELL ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER. BEFORE CROSSFIT WAS I WAS. I CAN BE SWUNG FOREVER. I HAVE NO MOVING PARTS. I DO NOT WEAR OUT.

Gah. This image.

Also, hi!

• Like 2

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

3 hours ago, Shello said:

I wish you much healing this challenge and a strong foundation for future mental health.  Following for support.  

Thank you.

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Gah. This image.

Also, hi!

Welcome!

Today is a good day. I relaxed in the morning, did a KB workout, then made lunch. It was quite simple. I sliced a seedless cucumber, some tomatoes, and half of a small red onion. I cooked some sliced flank steak with Greek Seasoning. I served it with Pita, hummus, and Tzatziki. it was very good. A great start to zero week.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

10 hours ago, Rookie said:

Popped back in to say I really enjoy your title. The meaning is great.

Thank you :) 

Today is a good day. I walked 1.3 miles through some wooded trails to some soccer fields where I threw my new disc golf discs for about twenty minutes, then walked 1.4 miles back (I took a slightly different route). I also emptied the dishwasher and took it easy for most of the day. After all that movement I feel great, especially since I had so much tree exposure. Our park system is great. I was surrounded by housing developments, but in the park it felt like a forest* in the middle of nowhere with only some remote sounds of traffic to break the illusion. At one point on the way back I sat on a tree that had grown sideways and mediated for a minute while some white tailed deer stared at me. Such things are good for my soul. Dinner was good, I put some chicken thighs, frozen carrots, diced potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, some half and half, smoked paprika, and ranch seasoning in a crockpot and cooked it on high for four hours. At the table we had to add salt and more ranch seasoning, but it was very good.

Feeling a lot better today. It's a regular day off from work, then I got all that movement in.

Also, I recently got a pour-over coffee maker and have been having fun with it.

*new growth, with some older oaks scattered throughout

• Like 17

Current Challenge

Glad you got some time in nature! Sounds like a dream!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)