8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I did go up to the work gym and walk on the treadmill for about 35 minutes.  All told I got 12.2K steps today (so far).

Awesome job with your steps!!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

12.2 thousand steps! 💪🎉🙌

way to go!!! No wonder you were tired!!

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

what helped then was consciously giving her more things to be in control over, things she could do herself (grabbing her own cup/cutlery etc), things where she could choose between my selections (clothing), things like that.

This worked with my nephews too, focusing on “choose between my selections” so it’s not too overwhelming for them and time consuming for you! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Little bit is going through a phase where she has a hard time with disappointment.

It's hard being small sometimes.

• Like 2

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yay KBs! And wise action+words :)

Mm you're probably doing these things, but just in case; with mine it sometimes helps to thoroughly explain why and if possible to tell them when what they want can happen (tomorrow or when x/y) and if both of those don't work then extra acknowledgement of their disappointment with the offer of a hug sometimes helps. I remember this phase around the same age as Little Bit, but my 5 year old is having something similar again.. what helped then was consciously giving her more things to be in control over, things she could do herself (grabbing her own cup/cutlery etc), things where she could choose between my selections (clothing), things like that.. hm I have to figure out some upgraded things for my 5yo I guess :)

That's pretty much the process we use. One thing I am glad about is when it gets too much she will ask for a hug. As long as she turns to us for comfort when she's distressed, I can handle a lot.

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I, too, am going through a phase where I have a hard time with disappointment.

You get hugs too, though distance makes that difficult.

6 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Awesome job with your steps!!!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

12.2 thousand steps! 💪🎉🙌

way to go!!! No wonder you were tired!!

This worked with my nephews too, focusing on “choose between my selections” so it’s not too overwhelming for them and time consuming for you! 

I got my steps u to 12.4!

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

It's hard being small sometimes.

True, it's also hard being inexperienced. With the brain doing more, she experiences things in new ways. In effect, not getting to go to the park is one of the worst things that's ever happened to her, so of course she's going to melt down, she has no way to put it into context, no way of knowing she'll be better (at least not while in crisis). And this is not a manipulative tantrum, there are real tears going down her cheeks; she's in emotional distress. I'm just glad hugs work.

• Like 10

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

One thing I am glad about is when it gets too much she will ask for a hug.

That is awesome and huge :)

True, it's also hard being inexperienced. With the brain doing more, she experiences things in new ways. In effect, not getting to go to the park is one of the worst things that's ever happened to her, so of course she's going to melt down, she has no way to put it into context, no way of knowing she'll be better (at least not while in crisis). And this is not a manipulative tantrum, there are real tears going down her cheeks; she's in emotional distress. I'm just glad hugs work.

❤️ how well you're putting yourself in her shoes and taking her seriously. 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

True, it's also hard being inexperienced. With the brain doing more, she experiences things in new ways. In effect, not getting to go to the park is one of the worst things that's ever happened to her, so of course she's going to melt down, she has no way to put it into context, no way of knowing she'll be better (at least not while in crisis). 

Realizing this perspective, and remembering it in the heat of the moment, cannot be easy to do. Parenting is a difficult job. :) 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That is awesome and huge :)

❤️ how well you're putting yourself in her shoes and taking her seriously. 

Thank you. I don't know if you're familiar with the Enneagram, but I'm a type 9, the diplomat who easily sees others' perspectives. I feel like we are doing something right as parents when her instinct is to turn to us for comfort. We can weather a lot of storms if she can turn to us for a hug even if she's mad at us.

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Realizing this perspective, and remembering it in the heat of the moment, cannot be easy to do. Parenting is a difficult job. :) 

It is not easy, but it's worth it (and so is she 💖)

Today is a good day. I lifted again, a full round of the KB workout even though I used a dumbbell for most of it, the work gym only has a 20lb bell and a 35. I used the 20 lb bell for the halos and the swings. After the full round I did two reps of each move for the second round. Having been active five days this week, with plans for disc golf with the church small group tomorrow, I feel great. In fact, I told Sra. Tanque that I feel some of that 2016 Rangers-Gonna-Ranger Swagger returning.  That is huge.

Dinner was pizza. 

Perhaps because I told her about the pizza as soon as we got in the truck after I picked her up from school, Little Bit was in a great mood from the time I got her till I put her down for bed :) She really enjoys pizza (cheese with pineapple).

• Like 12

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I feel some of that 2016 Rangers-Gonna-Ranger Swagger returning.  That is huge.

Movie Hello GIF by 1091

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 2/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

but exercise has effects that go both directions in time. It helps to heal stress from the past, and makes us stronger and more capable of dealing with things in the future.

Truth.

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Movie Hello GIF by 1091

Confused Season 3 GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Truth.

:D

Today is a good day. I did Disc Golf this morning, then we got breakfast tacos for lunch, from the place whose menu I linked earlier. It was amazing. I had one bacon and egg, one bacon and ham, one bacon and chorizo (I actually did the pound-the-table-it's-so-good move spontaneously), and one bean and cheese. YUM. After that we all had a huge nap, then I made a pedestrian (by my standards) beef soup for dinner. Very tired now, despite the nap earlier. Sleep is important y'all.

• Like 9

Current Challenge

On 2/12/2022 at 3:25 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Dinner was pizza. 

Perhaps because I told her about the pizza as soon as we got in the truck after I picked her up from school, Little Bit was in a great mood from the time I got her till I put her down for bed :) She really enjoys pizza (cheese with pineapple).

It's good that her mood is so resilient and can bounce back after park disappointments (the way you explained it made sense, and I never really considered how earnest children's disappointments must be). Yay for pizza!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 2/11/2022 at 9:25 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

pizza (cheese with pineapple).

I believe I am kindred spirits with your daughter.

I'm late but following, and as always, taking parenting notes for future childlings.  :D 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

16 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That’s amazing! What a good day!

It really was.

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

It's good that her mood is so resilient and can bounce back after park disappointments (the way you explained it made sense, and I never really considered how earnest children's disappointments must be). Yay for pizza!

I read the "worst thing ever" theory somewhere, I didn't come up with it on my own. Recovery is the upside of having a child that young, they tend not to hang on to bad moods once the emotion has been processed. 

Today is a good day. Church was good. Lunch was chicken tenders cut up and cooked in sesame oil with rice vinegar, salt, and pepper. I set a few aside and called them "Daddy's special white chicken nuggets" which to my amazement actually worked and led to Little Bit eating them. The rest I left in the pan and added peanut butter, sesame sauce, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. I then added some steamed stir-fry veggies (broccoli, snap peas and carrots) and stirred them in, and served that over rice. It was amazing.

• Like 10

Current Challenge

On 2/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I feel some of that 2016 Rangers-Gonna-Ranger Swagger returning.  That is huge.

Woop Woop Woop Woop Woop GIF | Gfycat

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

51 minutes ago, Shello said:

Woop Woop Woop Woop Woop GIF | Gfycat

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Today I feel rough. I didn't get enough sleep last night, partly due to staying up and reading partly due to poor sleep quality. I did not do much more than stretches and cooking today, partly because I'm not going to get enough sleep to catch up from last night, partly because lack of sleep makes recovery from strength workouts not work properly, but mainly because I watched TV and movies till I barely had enough time to cook and get ready for work.

• Like 7

Current Challenge

53 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I didn't get enough sleep last night, partly due to staying up and reading partly due to poor sleep quality.

For me personally, doing too much of the former can often lead to the latter. I hope you sleep better tonight.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:25 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She really enjoys pizza

Some things really are universal. Enjoyment of pizza by pint size humans seems to be one of those things :)

I hear ya on the sleep thing too. Friday I clocked something like 4 hours of sleep. Small one sleeping a bit better than past few days helps, but my brain has been self-sabotaging. Breaking out the tablet to read at night has been amazing. I shut my obsessive/planning/analytical/worrying brain off so much better after a little fiction. Right now it's mysteries, but previously I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

• Like 2

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

On 2/14/2022 at 4:06 PM, Scaly Freak said:

For me personally, doing too much of the former can often lead to the latter. I hope you sleep better tonight.

I did. Insufficient quantity, but quality was much better. 

23 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Some things really are universal. Enjoyment of pizza by pint size humans seems to be one of those things :)

I hear ya on the sleep thing too. Friday I clocked something like 4 hours of sleep. Small one sleeping a bit better than past few days helps, but my brain has been self-sabotaging. Breaking out the tablet to read at night has been amazing. I shut my obsessive/planning/analytical/worrying brain off so much better after a little fiction. Right now it's mysteries, but previously I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I really like reading, and being comfortable in bed to read is the best.

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ups and downs, you had a lovely up and I hope you enjoyed it a lot :) the downs will get less low and shorter in duration, I hope you're getting proof of that with this one. And yes, all the sleep! 

For sure. She can have a miserable day and then bounce right back and have an amazing one. 

Today is a good day. I did the KB workout in the morning, and watched a movie. I have now seen all three Kelvin-Verse Star Trek movies (the one JJ Abrams had a hand in). Beyond was by far the best of the three. It's also the one with which Abrams had the least involvement. These two statements are not unrelated. I also managed to clean the kitchen and fold and put away the last of the laundry. Dinner was Whataburger. Tomorrow Little Bit is staying home from school  so Gramma Tank and Papa Tank (What she calls my parents) and I can take her to the San Antonio Stock Show. She is excited to see baby cows. I'll try to get a picture of me in boots and a cowboy hat to post on here. Most of you have not seen that side of me.

• Like 13

Current Challenge

Today is a good day. Little Bit stayed home today, and my parents came over. We started with an early lunch at a Taco house nearby. Not The One, but a good one. We had a blast, though all the grownups were footsore by the time we were done at the stock show. Little Bit was so good today, even without a nap. I got 11k steps today, I count that as physical activity. Here are some pics from the stock show:

image.png image.png

image.png

I really like those boots. Plus, they are work boots, so they were at home in the cattle barns. Little Bit was appropriately excited about all the animals. 

Dinner was good. I made salmon on the grill. I seasoned it with Sea Salt, Honey, and Mustard on the flesh side. I grilled it with the burners on medium high for 6 or 7 minutes on the skin side, and four or five minutes on the flesh side. I also heated some long-grain and wild rice and steamed some broccoli. A good dinner.

• Like 21

Current Challenge