Defining's 2022 ABC's : A Breath of Confidence - Ch2

Ch1 saw me trying to get back into the groove of things, and trying to find a new baseline. Plus some agonising over work/living situation stuff.

Spoiler

I do have some 'maintenance' habits I'm going to try to keep on for this challenge, and while they're important to me (and they will help to work towards my quarterly and annual goals), they are not the focus for this challenge. But for the sake of my own reference:

- daily BUJO & check ins
- C25k 3x, weights 3x each week (plus whatever physio has assigned)
- hit daily protein goals, either with meal prep or protein shake liquid days, or both; + staying hydrated

- Sun Salutations in the morning, & eating breakfast within 1hr of waking up

- bedtime alarm to go to bed at a reasonable time (which, tonight, I've already failed at smh) and no reading in bed!

Spoiler

What I'm really focusing on this challenge is...

kondo-marie-kondo.gif.26f854f417f45c093be8f38e4b7c364c.gif

My 'daily declutter' goals haven't worked in the past. I feel stuck in a rut. And I am overwhelmed by the lack of organisation in my space. Enough is enough, let's treat this thing like a job.

I will declutter for no less than 25hrs a week this challenge. No more than 40hrs.

By the end of the challenge I hope to at least have MY stuff in some semblance of order. And then I can step back and reassess, to see how I'd like to tackle the rest of the house. If I finish my stuff early (guess we'll see, after 100+hrs), I'll get started on the guest bedrooms (aka. my bro/sis' old rooms), so I can 'move' into that side of the house.

I'll take the opportunity to listen/watch some CreativeLive (online courses) stuff at the same time, since I rarely need to focus much on those, and that saves me from making up excuses/distractions of figuring out what content I want to consume.

thats-all-folks.gif

__________ __________

Feb 07 - When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves. - William Arthur Ward

• Like 8

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

here for the decluttering inspiration for a challenge or two down the line!!!  Good luck!! 

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Thanks all! I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not like I've been using my spare time productively lately anyway - so I'm only trading out time fillers.

And yeah, you'd think you'd be done after 100hrs. But I've lived in the same house since I was 5 (not counting uni or travel/living abroad). I've never had to do the natural declutter that comes when you have to pack up and move, and my sibs more or less just took what they wanted and left the rest when they moved out. Not to mention the rest of the house with old family stuff, random bits and bobs from when we were kids, stuff shoved on top of any available surface off the ground when the basement flooded and then just left there, etc. I'm not even expecting to get a substantial amount in the rest of the house done this challenge, though I guess TBD.

I'm not decluttering in the sense of just 'tidying piles' either, which is very much what I've used as a method in the past (fail). I'm going through every item, dealing with recycling/garbage/donating/shredded/selling stuff, etc. Plus organising it all in new ways so that I actually put stuff away after using it. Should be fun.

__________ __________

Feb 08 - You change the world by being yourself. - Yoko Ono

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

20 hours ago, Defining said:

but it's not like I've been using my spare time productively lately anyway

I feel this so hard right now!  

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Only tidied for about 4hrs today, and TBH that was mostly just throwing existing piles into slightly more ordered piles. But it's a start! Am aiming to spend a solid 8hrs tomorrow, and that will probably be my first/best example of what kind of pacing I can expect, I think.

I told the chiro yesterday that I was going to pause treatment - I gave it a solid two months, and didn't experience any improvement. The new physio stuff is helping, I THINK, but it's still frustrating to not have been able to pinpoint what's actually causing all of this stupidity. I've been doing more reading on the science around pain, and so much of the newer stuff out there is about how 'it's all in your mind', in the sense that minor biomechanical imbalances don't always correlate with pain levels or where the pain is experienced. On the one hand, that's awesome, because in theory it puts more power into my hands to manage my discomfort. On the other, it's really freaking frustrating, because there was a precipitating event that I can clearly point to where my pain changed. So. I dunno. 'Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and see how it goes.

__________ __________

Feb 09 - When you stop thinking about yourself all the time, a certain sense of repose overtakes you. - Leonard Cohen

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Defining said:

- daily BUJO & check ins
- C25k 3x, weights 3x each week (plus whatever physio has assigned)
- hit daily protein goals, either with meal prep or protein shake liquid days, or both; + staying hydrated

- Sun Salutations in the morning, & eating breakfast within 1hr of waking up

- bedtime alarm to go to bed at a reasonable time (which, tonight, I've already failed at smh) and no reading in bed!

journal, run, weights, protein, yoga and sleep sounds reasona--

On 2/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Defining said:

I will declutter for no less than 25hrs a week this challenge. No more than 40hrs.

whaaaaat? 25 hours? Isn't that, like, a whole-ass part-time job? Isn't that like 3.5 hours per day? Or four hours if you take Sunday off to pray to your local spirits?

I mean, great. I'll be interested in how it works out. I wish you an absolutely sparklingly beautiful enviroment. I hope it goes "ping!" with sheer cleanliness by the time you're done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

17 hours ago, Defining said:

I told the chiro yesterday that I was going to pause treatment - I gave it a solid two months, and didn't experience any improvement. The new physio stuff is helping, I THINK, but it's still frustrating to not have been able to pinpoint what's actually causing all of this stupidity. I've been doing more reading on the science around pain, and so much of the newer stuff out there is about how 'it's all in your mind', in the sense that minor biomechanical imbalances don't always correlate with pain levels or where the pain is experienced. On the one hand, that's awesome, because in theory it puts more power into my hands to manage my discomfort. On the other, it's really freaking frustrating, because there was a precipitating event that I can clearly point to where my pain changed. So. I dunno. 'Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and see how it goes.

What happened? 

Generally even when there's been an event that caused the pain, after 6-8+ weeks it can be considered chronic and thus not correlate with actual biomechanical damage. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

10 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

What happened? 

Generally even when there's been an event that caused the pain, after 6-8+ weeks it can be considered chronic and thus not correlate with actual biomechanical damage. 

Oh, I was rear ended a couple years ago, and was left with tingling/pain in my left arm, plus increased pain levels in my already-kinda-shitty upper back/neck/chest. It's definitely chronic, but thus far most of the recommendations have come down to 'try these new stretches & strengthening exercises', to little effect unfortunately. Hence why I'm at the point of throwing spaghetti at the walls now.

55 minutes ago, Defining said:

Oh, I was rear ended a couple years ago, and was left with tingling/pain in my left arm, plus increased pain levels in my already-kinda-shitty upper back/neck/chest. It's definitely chronic, but thus far most of the recommendations have come down to 'try these new stretches & strengthening exercises', to little effect unfortunately. Hence why I'm at the point of throwing spaghetti at the walls now.

That sucks.. Sorry you haven't been able to find help :(

The tingles come from your neck? I assume your Chiro tried realigning it? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, Defining said:

Only tidied for about 4hrs today, and TBH that was mostly just throwing existing piles into slightly more ordered piles. But it's a start!

My organizing strategy always makes a bigger mess than there  was in the middle than there was in the beginning, so you're doing better than me, ha  Great start!!!

• That's Metal 1

23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That sucks.. Sorry you haven't been able to find help :(

The tingles come from your neck? I assume your Chiro tried realigning it? 

Well, physiatrist and the other physio assumed it was thoracic outlet syndrome - they just injected numbing stuff in my pec minor the other week to test that theory (after 6 months!!! of strengthening & physio that didn't do anything). I'm not convinced. The chiro thought it was because of my 'forward head position' (which is absolutely accurate, but not substantially different from the last couple of decades), but after 2 months of trying to address that, no symptoms have been affected. The newest physio (aka. the one I saw right after the accident, who I like better anyway) thinks that it might actually just be something getting pinched between my shoulder blade and my ribs, so she's been giving me new stuff to work on thoracic mobility/flexion and that sort of thing. TBD. 

I feel so called out.... 

273688498_10160520646893488_5266641975233712645_n.png.183ab355b35271e05d00c3376bd9df32.png

__________ __________

Feb 10 - If at first you don't succeed, then dust yourself off and try again. - Aaliyah (Aaliyah Dana Haughton)

12 hours ago, Defining said:

Well, physiatrist and the other physio assumed it was thoracic outlet syndrome - they just injected numbing stuff in my pec minor the other week to test that theory (after 6 months!!! of strengthening & physio that didn't do anything). I'm not convinced. The chiro thought it was because of my 'forward head position' (which is absolutely accurate, but not substantially different from the last couple of decades), but after 2 months of trying to address that, no symptoms have been affected. The newest physio (aka. the one I saw right after the accident, who I like better anyway) thinks that it might actually just be something getting pinched between my shoulder blade and my ribs, so she's been giving me new stuff to work on thoracic mobility/flexion and that sort of thing. TBD. 

fingers crossed! 

• Thanks 1

I refuse to be embarrassed by the pile of ripped jeans I have kept 'because I could use them for something'. Or the pile of clothes that I've kept 'in case I were skinnier'. But I'm giving myself 6 months to A) do something with them, and B ) fit into them - and if that doesn't happen, they must go!

I get the feeling that clothes are going to be the easiest part of this whole experience....

EDIT: I've also been feeling lately very upset about the 'wasted time' I've spent in the last decade just... avoiding life. But it also occurs to me that if I had met with great success in something important to me when I was young(er), I'd also be feeling pressure to 'live up' to that for the rest of my life. I'm not sure that would have been better. So maybe I need to sit down and try to figure out what I HAVE done in the last decade that I'm proud of, or see value in having learned/experienced.

EDIT 2: I'd like to trade my body in for a different model, please. I don't want to have to schedule my day to accommodate bathroom breaks because my digestive system hates me.

__________ __________

Feb 11 - Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me. - Carol Burnett

• Like 1

Such an ambitious decluttering goal!  I hope you find success!  I have been trying to declutter for ages and find myself taking things I don't really know how to handle from one room and putting them somewhere else.  Then I eventually go to declutter that room and just add to that existing pile and move it around the house.  One of these days I'm just going to move that pile to the trash.  I obviously don't need anything in it.   Following! 

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

20 hours ago, Shello said:

find myself taking things I don't really know how to handle from one room and putting them somewhere else.  Then I eventually go to declutter that room and just add to that existing pile and move it around the house.

That is literally me, from the last, um. Decade? Hence the decluttering focus, because clearly trying to do stuff in little bits doesn't work for me!

I will mostly likely not hit my hours this week. I'm going to be ok with that, because it's technically zero week. 😐

BUT, I will see how the day goes. Hanging out with friends is more important than a few extra hours of decluttering though, so it'll be what it'll be.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:26 AM, Harriet said:

whaaaaat? 25 hours? Isn't that, like, a whole-ass part-time job? Isn't that like 3.5 hours per day? Or four hours if you take Sunday off to pray to your local spirits?

Small goals in this area have only resulted in small results for me - go big! Why Sunday? 🤔

__________ __________

Feb 12 - There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemmingway

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Defining said:

EDIT: I've also been feeling lately very upset about the 'wasted time' I've spent in the last decade just... avoiding life. But it also occurs to me that if I had met with great success in something important to me when I was young(er), I'd also be feeling pressure to 'live up' to that for the rest of my life. I'm not sure that would have been better. 

I get it. But I'm not sure those questions are relevant or will help you move forward...

On 2/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Defining said:

So maybe I need to sit down and try to figure out what I HAVE done in the last decade that I'm proud of, or see value in having learned/experienced.

I'm honestly surprised you haven't thought about this already considering your job conundrum! Could be worth a try to see if you can spot any positive patterns. :) 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I get it. But I'm not sure those questions are relevant or will help you move forward...

I'm honestly surprised you haven't thought about this already considering your job conundrum! Could be worth a try to see if you can spot any positive patterns. :) 

It had just occurred to me when I was watching an interview with Elijah Wood, and all I could think was 'that dude was probably part of the coolest project (IMO) that he'll ever be in, when he was 18 - that's gotta suck'. It came from the bitchy/judgemental part of my brain.

I, er, haven't listed stuff I'm proud of, mostly because there really isn't much. How well my dogs do (they are both rescues), and that might actually be it. And then I get mad at myself, and that rarely works out well. So dwelling on it for too long to brainstorm typically isn't beneficial, in my experienec.

There are tons of other things I've done that OTHER people think are cool/should be proud of, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Small goals in this area have only resulted in small results for me - go big! Why Sunday? 🤔

Cos the shops are closed and there's no chocolate so you need calming guidance. Also you were raised in a badly fitting religion (with sundays for church) before realising that there are a lot of nice deities to choose from but sunday is still a day of rest in your mind.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Cos the shops are closed and there's no chocolate so you need calming guidance. Also you were raised in a badly fitting religion (with sundays for church) before realising that there are a lot of nice deities to choose from but sunday is still a day of rest in your mind.

LMAO, okie dokie. Nothing here is closed on Sundays, and I was raised to take Saturdays off as a day of rest. But I see what you mean. 🤣