DaemonCorax starts new journey (Level 1 Hunter)

1247970e15d804b4432c22271c0fd2dd.jpg

New character introduction!

For those of you following along in my respawn, I've built a new character and decided to reboot the point system that I used in the challenges like 5 years ago. The points allocated are tweaked a bit from my old levels, but have not been reset back to 0 to reflect that this character is a little worn-in around the edges. We will be following our virtual DaemonCorax as she tries to do all the things. As usual.

The artwork included for my character is pulled from the internet, but I would, as a side quest, like to start adding some of my own work. I've chosen the Hunter class as a variation on the true Ranger to highlight the character's connection to the natural world. In particular, this half-elf is a falconer, which gives me a good platform to discuss the mental side of my challenges and the various demons that get battled that aren't strictly in the physical world. The magical genes are weak here, but our protagonist still has a profoundly strong tie to nature, both its beasts and settings, and what she lacks in advanced sorcery she makes up for by being just very very hard to kill.

Base levels:

STR 10 ;    DEX 3 ;    STA 20;    CON 10 ;    WIS 20 ;    CHA 2

1) Covering terrain - Our half elf is more durable than most, which is probably a good thing because she's also terrible at specializing. To travel where the rocks are red, she needs to be able to cover all the terrain, both horizontal and vertical. This goal has to do with allocating time for both endurance efforts (be it just a bike commute, which really just needs to be box-checking), and for climbing.

IMG_2153-scaled.jpg

Not my bike, definitely my setting. Hopefully going back in April.

Possible points:

6 days a week do SOMETHING that is either cardio or climbing. For now the bike commute counts. Later when its more of a routine thing again, bike commute will still count for constitution, but not for building much endurance. For climbing workouts, each workout is worth 1 pt DEX with a goal of 2x a week. For riding/skiing/hiking/running, each workout is worth 1 pt as well. You will note to pull this off I really do have to do something 6 days a week OR double up. 1 CON point gets awards for each week I maintain routine. STA is getting a lot of focus right now because of the quest to complete a big desert gravel course in April by bike.

STA 20

DEX 10

CON 5

2) Becoming invincible - Small-to-medium size and yet surprisingly durable. The weak points sneak up on her. Injury recovery is no joke, especially when it involves mental trauma and a 2 year delay in diagnosis of the injury itself. This goal is to do with Pilates and weightlifting. For example, being all-round strong doesn't hold a candle to finding out your whole body shakes when you try to do the core equivalent of "wiggle your big toe."

173116027_NeelyPike.jpg.d210f61fad61cd33bed1be532c12dff4.jpg

Yes, I can really do this. No, this isn't me and my outfit isn't that nice.

Possible points:

6 days a week I need to keep up with my Pilates work. This could be anything throughout the day or a dedicated Pilates appt (1 hr) or 10-15 min of yoga/Pilates/mat work as combined with any other workout. Lifting goal of twice a week coincides nicely with my climbing goal. Funny how that happens. This looks like fewer points, but don't be fooled. This is the groundwork for everything else.

STR 10

CON 5

3) Animal handling - A drifter, she has a thing for working with abnormally large birds of prey. Having one of these in your company requires discipline and training, lest they go off and nab another party's more diminutive familiar. This goal has to do with mental work, teaching the brain better habits to sort through history and worries while still holding compassion for people close by. It also plays a role in remembering to be kind to said brain and give it some room for creative pursuits and to sort things out.

Be-nice-to-yourself-It-s-hard-142635.jpg

Being nice to myself isn't an excuse to not challenge myself in this case.

Allowing myself to take on challenges again is kinder than what I have been doing.

Possible points:

Little steps here. Extroversion is hard. Talking to people is hard. Realizing you have been really morbid and fairly depressed for a couple of years is, well, hard. So. Stupid little things here that I know will help. Also, undeniably, when I'm nicer to myself I am nicer to the wonderful human who is my partner. When I'm scared and upset, I am harder to live with, more of a control freak about our house, and in general just a grump. No one deserves that.

Little things that actually make me more clear headed:

1. Drink at least some water everyday. 2 cups of coffee and 1.5 beers does not hydration make

2. Go to work the right amount. I've had dr's appts and COVID seriously messing with my work schedule. I need to work enough to get my work done and be effective, but also know when to walk away and go to the gym.

3. Draw?

There are obviously some elephants in the room in this goal involving grief and some psychological work to be done, but today is not the day to type that all up. Go read my old stuff if you can't wait for the post credits flashbacks. :)

WIS 5

CHA 5

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

17 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

know when to walk away and go to the gym.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Same Page GIF by E!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE isn't cutting it!

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 69

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You could get an outfit that nice, seems reasonable

While there have been points in my life where wearing this would have been flattering, I'm much more of a "tshirt with the sleeve cut off" kind of gal.

3 hours ago, RES said:

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Same Page GIF by E!

I know right? The burnout on all levels this year is real, and I'm just realizing how much of that is my job.

In reading through my challenge I may have set myself up for failure on the DEX points. We'll see. If I get one gym day and one Pilates appt a week, that is one day short on the amount of climbing I want to be doing. But the private Pialtes sessions I've paid for will be ending during this challenge, so we'll see what comes next.

• Like 3

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

So I am intentionally NOT battle logging here during week 0. But I AM happy that I tried some new stuff in Pilates yesterday and have decided hit the gym for 45 min or so on my way home today.

One thing that is kind of wrapped up in Goal 3 is my relationship with food. It's always been pretty good. I like to cook, and my time constraints usually mean I make a big pot of something every week for us to have for dinner. This week was coconut curry with chicken, chickpeas, gold potatoes, red pepper, pineapple, cauliflower, and a mess of spices, served with rice.

Breakfast and lunch on the other hand are....interesting. Pre kid I did IF and had coffee for breakfast and a big bowl of rice/greens/sausage or something around 11 am. Now I wake up at 5 instead of 7 and try to get to work by 7. MFH makes a big pot of oatmeal but I can't eat a big bowl of it that early. I've played with (1) taking a huge bowl of it and adding fruit/nuts/sausage/whatever to it an eating it late in the morning and (2) eating a moderate amount of oatmeal in the morning and then a more normal rice bowl around 10-11:30 am, and sometimes some things work and some things don't. Even without the bike commute, option (1) leaves me very hungry around 3, right when I'm packing up to go home. I can't snack at work. Dinner is usually around 5:30-6 in my house. Option 2 seems ok, but if lunch pushes late then for some reason my stomach is less of a fan of the idea. And for some reason the two meal a day thing just made me feel more dialed. I was also leaner by a little bit, which would be nice, but we have to pick our battles I guess. I guess the big problem is I don't have as much of a routine as I used to, so then when my activity dials up (as it is right now) I don't always have enough food built into my day to deal with it, which isn't great for building muscle.

• Like 1

Ok new rule: don’t lift the day after Pilates. The lifts were fine but my in between exercises highlight lots of little things being tired. Also I really need to find some shoulder exercises that feel rewarding while working back up to reliably doing a pull up.

Bouldered 20 min

Squats 95 lbs 5x4 sets and then a set at 100 lbs 

Between sets I did some Pilates mat work, ring planks and shoulder work, reverse rows, a set of butterflies with 10 lb dumbbells

Finished the workout with barbells rows 65 lbs 7x3 sets

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

Hey! following ^_^

Grey Jedi Ranger

Current Challenge: Jedi Becomes a Hero Vol. 2 - Jedi Gets Some Tutoring

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53

So here's the thing about accidentally taking 3 months off and then coming back to exercise with the intensity you had in, like July. My muscles know how to do it. My metabolism is yelling at me. I woke up with the small one around 11:30 last night and I was hungry! Cue a glass of chocolate milk (old school whole milk with a little hershey's syrup) with my breakfast oatmeal, and I added a fried egg to my rice bowl for lunch.

Protein and fat work sooooo much better for me than grains and sugars, but I'm not as much of a peanut butter fiend as it would be useful to be. No fear though, the morning oatmeal recipe involves coconut oil and eggs scrambled into it.

Also, given the way my body is reacting to being back "on" this week (Read: shirking work for mental health and playing in the gym and outside instead), I should stop looking at the body fat I might like to lose. Seriously it's only a tiny bit, not even 5 lbs, it just looks dumb because of where it is and how my skin is aging and..... you know what, this is why they make tights and pants with high waists.

I really need a gif for this eating all the things feeling.

Today I'm riding road/gravel stuff with a work buddy. The ride itself won't be heinous, but my brain couldn't compute putting my bike in my car this morning with the kid seat in there (long story, too many axle standards), so I rode to work too. This will put me in the 45-60 mi range for the day probably.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

your routine makes me sweat just reading ....  :) well done

Thanks! (I think?) Honestly this was a little rushed for me. I had an hour allocated before I had to go pick up the small one, but then my sister called, and since I don't talk to her often I wanted to actually catch up. So this was all in like 45 min. I left wishing I had time to do some deadlifts. But given that I'm riding today, it's probably wise that I didn't. My brain likes that "so tired you're melting into the ground" feeling right now but because I, you know, have a job and am a parent, I have to dose it out in small quantities. Oh for the days when I could collapse on the couch when I got home and had only one cat to be responsible for. 😆

I'm also totally thrown off because the small one is having some sort of sleep disruption and that disrupts me as well even if he's not desperately unhappy and can be left to put himself back to sleep. When he wakes up from a big scary nightmare though, it's definitely worth it to me to go in and give him a little pat back to sleep. That seems to be happening less right now? What is time? (I'm sure @KB Girl can relate)

• Like 2

Workday dirt road ride: 29 miles. Perfect February conditions - just enough mud to find some in my hair but not so much that I every slid.

With my commute this will make it a 46 mile day. Good thing I had double breakfast - I ate my rice bowl around 9 before heading out on the ride.

Now to reboot my brain with warm beverage and snacks before slogging through a meeting and then going home. I think I will be ready for a rest day tomorrow even though I thought Monday was my rest day.

For those following along at home: I don't track calories. I don't ride with a computer (although navigationally I'm wondering if I need a few improvements in the true boonies). After racing road bikes a tiny bit many years ago, this is one place where I want to just enjoy my rides and look up my mileage when I get back.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

you know what, this is by they make tights and pants with high waists.

Indeed! I'm almost done replacing my wardrobe. (it's a lot because I'm in training paints 24/7 almost). 

18 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

I'm also totally thrown off because the small one is having some sort of sleep disruption and that disrupts me as well even if he's not desperately unhappy and can be left to put himself back to sleep. When he wakes up from a big scary nightmare though, it's definitely worth it to me to go in and give him a little pat back to sleep. That seems to be happening less right now? What is time? (I'm sure @KB Girl can relate)

Oh absolutely. It all goes in phases and circles right. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 2/7/2022 at 11:59 AM, DaemonCorax said:

I've chosen the Hunter class as a variation on the true Ranger to highlight the character's connection to the natural world. In particular, this half-elf is a falconer, which gives me a good platform to discuss the mental side of my challenges and the various demons that get battled that aren't strictly in the physical world. The magical genes are weak here, but our protagonist still has a profoundly strong tie to nature, both its beasts and settings, and what she lacks in advanced sorcery she makes up for by being just very very hard to kill.

I love the excitement when someone finds their character! And I think a Hunter Ranger is the perfect fit for you and your goals. I'm super pumped to see this new journey unfold!

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Dude this is awesome to see. You seem to be having a great week! Keep it up!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Current Challenge: Jedi Becomes a Hero Vol. 2 - Jedi Gets Some Tutoring

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53

Not sure if today is going to be a rest day or not. I'm wfh but I'm not being terribly focused even though I actually like the project i have in front of me. If today is a rest day that might be wise - I'm not getting a lot of sleep right now and working out three days in a row demands some recovery. But on the otherhand going to the gym has been improving my mood...so we'll see.

I have a small hike planned for tomorrow that may or may not count for much exercise depending on how much I actually carry the small one.

This challenge has an undercurrent of balancing feeling like I'm getting my work done (we're in a slow period right now for a few weeks, sort of) while doing a better job of making time for workouts.

• Like 4

Alrighty then:

Saturday - hike cancelled due to too much snow, but replaced by shovelling in the morning (6:30 am!) and then taking the small one sledding with a couple of other small ones and their dad. This ended up being more workout than expected - the hill was so slick under the snow I had to rig a tow strap off a park bench so we could hand-over-hand back up. 10 points to my little one for trying to tow the other toddler in the the sled himself. It was an adorable failure.

Sunday - went out with two good friends to test out my AT ski setup for the first time. Friend one: never ever been on skis before. Friend two: skied like a maniac and went ski touring and camping a bunch in the past. It was a good day. I bought the right setup last spring (secondhand). I kinda know what I'm doing coming from my much-flexier backcountry nordic setup. Hooray!

No points allocated for Week 0, but it went fairly well. I would have liked to get one more workout in, but it was pretty good.

f164b49e9c4a16ff477c8102748e5e91.png

Week 1 start:

Let's review the points system:

Goal 1: Cover all the terrain. The cardio and climbing part.

STA 20

DEX 10

CON 5

Goal 2: Become invincible. The lifting a Pilates part.

STR 10

CON 5

Goal 3: Handling the inner animals. The hard part.

WIS 5

CHA 5

Sunday: Aforementioned AT skiing day. Super awesome day. Left more in the tank than I was planning, but that's ok. I was with awesome friends. STA +1 for the workout. CON points will be allocated on a weekly basis.

Monday (Today): I'm wfh but I WILL leave the house after my afternoon meeting to go to the gym before retrieving the small one.

And yes, if asked I will post photos of ski nerding. But only weird backcountry stuff because I know absolutely nothing about resort skiing except that I don't like people.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Ok new rule: don’t lift the day after Pilates. The lifts were fine but my in between exercises highlight lots of little things being tired. Also I really need to find some shoulder exercises that feel rewarding while working back up to reliably doing a pull up.

Bouldered 20 min

Squats 95 lbs 5x4 sets and then a set at 100 lbs 

Between sets I did some Pilates mat work, ring planks and shoulder work, reverse rows, a set of butterflies with 10 lb dumbbells

Finished the workout with barbells rows 65 lbs 7x3 sets

With looking at climbing being a main goal here, I'd likely do things like hanging scapular retractions, hanging lat work, back flyes, inverted rows / other pull style prehab movements, Y's, T's, I's, W's, and look at internal and external rotation of the shoulders, too.

Those are all great things that can be done in between lower body strength, too :)  For pure strength, I'd honestly just stick with traditional push work for shoulder day - bench press, overhead press, dips and ring dips, push-ups and push-up variations, pike pushups, handstand work, dumbbell flyes (or the cable versions). Even if some don't feel like traditional shoulder movements, and feel more like chest - shoulders are secondary there and everything works together, so we want to be working them evenly (and climbing is super pull heavy). 

• Like 2
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Thank you @spezzy! I had forgotten about doing letters. Shoulder work is so daunting to me because my arms will be strong and my technique will be good, but in climbing that will cover up brute pull-up strength. 

So apparently three days on and one off was worth repeating. Today at the gym I earned +1 STR and +1 DEX

5 pitches. Pumped out on 3rd but got the rest. Mostly 5.10s

Squat 105 5x5

In between:

Butterflies 10 lb ea 5x3

Reverse ring rows 5x2

Pilates mobility work 

Deadlift 135x5 155x5 175x3 all overhand 

205 attempt switch grip. Got it!

First post-baby deadlift over 200 lbs. @KB Girl I’m counting it even though the small one is 2.5 yo.

Tomorrow is day 3 silliness. I have Pilates at noon, but it’s also the only day the roads will be clear enough for a road ride. So I’m gonna drive to work with my bike, ride, change, drive to Pilates, then come back and hopefully get a couple hours of work in 😆 This is the useless day this week. Clearly. But also our test schedule is going to resume in about 3 weeks so now is the time to treat myself to extra workouts.

I’m sleeping a little better. 

edit: at some point I am going to figure out how to copypaste workouts from my Notes app to Safari without screwing up font size.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

First post-baby deadlift over 200 lbs. @KB Girl I’m counting it even though the small one is 2.5 yo.

Excellent :D 

Looks like we're pretty close in deadlift at the moment! That could be fun to try to keep up with each other. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram