Mad Hatter skates off into the sunset

My brain's a dumpster fire so I'm ignoring all the difficult things keeping it really simple.

ContentPositiveBeaver-size_restricted.gi

1. Skate. There's no point to this goal except having an excuse to talk about skateboarding.

2. Read a book. The library finally lent me The House in the Cerulean Sea after being on hold for almost a year. I now have a month to crawl out of my deep, deep reading slump.

3. Escape Finland part II. I'm waiting for a parcel, then I'm outta here again! Can't take this snowed under wasteland any longer.

4. Bonus zero week challenge.  Go ham on my to do list. There's 10 things I've procrastinated for 1-12 months, how many can I check off?

• Like 8

Oooh, reading! :) 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

2. Read a book. The library finally lent me The House in the Cerulean Sea after being on hold for almost a year.

Ooooh this is on my list as well. Wanna be reading buddies and talk about it after the month? :D

3. Escape Finland part II. 

Where are you going this time? :)❤️

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, 13, 1415

19 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

Ooooh this is on my list as well. Wanna be reading buddies and talk about it after the month? :D

You and @Mad Hatter should come joins us in the Reading Thread. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

2 hours ago, tei_ said:

nice nice! 

9329AF21-6BAB-45F9-8995-A5C98CD5ACC4.jpeg.a94df45d55902dd33e8198a14174e6d3.jpeg

FLOOF! FLOOF ON WHEELS!!!!!

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

2. Read a book. The library finally lent me The House in the Cerulean Sea after being on hold for almost a year. I now have a month to crawl out of my deep, deep reading slump.

I've never even heard of the author before! Is there another of their books that's best to start with?

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

cat beach GIF by Product Hunt

There are a lot of skateboarding dogs. Have fun and may it quench the fire.

I believe cats prefer roombas. Because pushing is for suckers.

shark-cat.gif

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Only 10? ;)

Yes, because I remove items from the todo list if my intention is to procrastinate it forever. It works like magic. 

poof-magic.gif

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

Bird Skate GIF

Simple is good! I'm interested in your thoughts on the book - it's on my to read list :)

Your request has been noted. 🙂

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On my list! Only thing is that after my trip to Iran I now need a frickin' visa... 😒

10 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Absolutely!

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

You and @Mad Hatter should come joins us in the Reading Thread. :) 

I've been meaning to, but I keep forgetting!

8 hours ago, tei_ said:

nice nice! 

9329AF21-6BAB-45F9-8995-A5C98CD5ACC4.jpeg.a94df45d55902dd33e8198a14174e6d3.jpeg

I'd go up a board size, otherwise most excellent floofiness.

6 hours ago, Defining said:

I've never even heard of the author before! Is there another of their books that's best to start with?

This was the one recommended to me but I don't know if there are better books to start with!

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

are you going back to Spain or headed somewhere else?

+

Where are you going this time? :)❤️

I'm thinking Lisbon and Barcelona. I've been to both, but I'd like to see if I could imagine myself living there more long term. Other suggestions are of course very welcome. 🙂 I'd also love to go to Mexico to meet up with a friend who lives in LA. I'd have to take vacation for that though, tricky to work from there with the time difference.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1
36 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm thinking Lisbon and Barcelona.

Barcelona! ❤️ ❤️❤️ 

If you go there, you should do a trip to Lloret de mar, it's very pretty and he lives there if you feel like doing some neat pole stuff. :D (we went there once for a weekend for a bachelorette's party - poledancing on the beach - and it was the most amazing weekend ever. The marriage only lasted for a year, but that party was great. xD)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

My brain's a dumpster fire so I'm ignoring all the difficult things keeping it really simple.

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes, because I remove items from the todo list if my intention is to procrastinate it forever. It works like magic. 

Ah. That's strategic thinking, right there! (I should know, we teach strategic thinking at my school.) Good job. A+

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I believe cats prefer roombas. Because pushing is for suckers.

shark-cat.gif

Unless the cat in question sees an opportunity to feel superior to any other creature on earth, in which case

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

Barcelona! ❤️ ❤️❤️ 

If you go there, you should do a trip to Lloret de mar, it's very pretty and he lives there if you feel like doing some neat pole stuff. :D (we went there once for a weekend for a bachelorette's party - poledancing on the beach - and it was the most amazing weekend ever. The marriage only lasted for a year, but that party was great. xD)

It's such a great city! There's also so much more to do than in southern Spain, in terms of meet ups, climbing, pole studios etc..

I should indeed, that'd be cool! 

Sucks about the marriage, but on the plus side you can do another bachelorette party for the next marriage. :D 

2 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Im voting for Lisbon!!! 

*waves* :) 

I was thinking both. :D But curious what makes you say that? Have you been, and if so do you have any tips?

wave-panda.gif

57 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Ah. That's strategic thinking, right there! (I should know, we teach strategic thinking at my school.) Good job. A+

Unless the cat in question sees an opportunity to feel superior to any other creature on earth, in which case

giphy.gif

Exactly. Strategy. 

Damn that cat's good. Certainly superior to me. :D 

1. Today did not go according to plan. I did nothing at work, and yet I didn't have time to go skating. The maths is a mystery. 🤔

2. I read a whole chapter! 🤩 It took me forever, and it was only five pages. How can this possibly be so hard? I love books! No worries, I'm positive the switch will flip soon enough.
3. Still in Finland.

4. 0/10 tasks. I thought I'd have one in the bag, but it turned out the appointment I made was for the 8th of March, not Feb. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

1. Today did not go according to plan. I did nothing at work, and yet I didn't have time to go skating. The maths is a mystery. 🤔

The more you nothing, the less you something. It's only sense.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2. I read a whole chapter! 🤩 It took me forever, and it was only five pages.

Baby steps!! You are one chapter ahead of me, I need to actually get the book first... xD

I got recommended this video today about "why you stopped reading" and really felt it... Reading as an adult with stuff to do is hard. 

Sucks about the marriage, but on the plus side you can do another bachelorette party for the next marriage. :D 

Hehe, we were talking about doing a "divorce party" there... :D I don't have the money to travel right now, so it has to wait until I finished studying and am working normal hours though. xD 

11 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Ive been to Lisbon, no tips though, just a beautiful and very friendly city. Was there only passing through. 

That was my experience too. :) 

Disadvantage: not skate friendly
Pro: tax breaks

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

The more you nothing, the less you something. It's only sense.

the-hang-over-zach-galifianakis.gif

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Baby steps!! You are one chapter ahead of me, I need to actually get the book first... xD

I got recommended this video today about "why you stopped reading" and really felt it... Reading as an adult with stuff to do is hard. 

Hehe, we were talking about doing a "divorce party" there... :D I don't have the money to travel right now, so it has to wait until I finished studying and am working normal hours though. xD 

TWO CHAPTERS YO!

I'm glad I never stopped reading completely, it's sad when that happens... But I feel it too. Which reasons from the video do you feel resonate the most? For me it's mostly lack of concentration.

HA love it!

• Like 2

Which reasons from the video do you feel resonate the most?

All of them. xD Not having time is a big one, being distraced by the internet is another big one... I'm slowly working my way back to reading more (I try to at least read a bit every day before sleeping) and if it's the right book, I can read for hours on end... I also started to just stop reading if the book is NOT one that has my undivided attention in the first two chapters. xD (I'd never think about not finishing a book when I was a kid, I read EVERYTHING. xD)

25 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

All of them. xD Not having time is a big one, being distraced by the internet is another big one... I'm slowly working my way back to reading more (I try to at least read a bit every day before sleeping) and if it's the right book, I can read for hours on end... I also started to just stop reading if the book is NOT one that has my undivided attention in the first two chapters. xD (I'd never think about not finishing a book when I was a kid, I read EVERYTHING. xD)

Oh dear. 😄 I'm experimenting with reading first thing in the morning now. If I read before bed inevitably one of two things happen: 1. I instantly fall asleep or 2. I stay up until I finish the book. There's no middle ground. 😛 

Good on you for putting down boring books! Forcing oneself to read boring books is a tragedy.

• Like 3

1. Greatest day ever! I got called "up to no good youngster" by a grumpy old Karen for skating in the basement. 🤣😂 Ticked off a life goal I didn't even know I had. 🤩 This inspired me to create a set of long term skate goals:

• Get kicked off by security from a parking lot
  • Get kicked off by security from a street spot
  • Get told off by old lady for being a terrible youth
  • Put holes through my shoes
  • Paint a board
  • Break a board through use
  • Break a board because I got angry
  • Bonus: learn to kickflip, so I can choose to not do a kickflip in case some douche shouts "do a kickflip" 

2. Another chapter in the bag! Reading a few pages at a time is weeeeird.
3. Still in Finland. 😒
4. 1/10 tasks

• Haha 7
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

4. 1/10 tasks

whoo!

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

2. I stay up until I finish the book.

This is why I sometimes try to stop reading, self protection y'know. Would probably help if I stopped reading fiction and just read non-fiction, but for that I don't have the concentration x) 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Good on you for putting down boring books! Forcing oneself to read boring books is a tragedy.

And a travesty. And terrible. No one who has full control over what they chose to read, should feel obligated to read something that doesn't grab or entertain them.