In which Flea grinds more than just her teeth

I'm currently eight hundred steps behind where I want to be in life, give or take a few. I hate baby steps and working back toward things I've already achieved and lost. And I'm constantly complaining that I wish real life worked like video games so I could see how far I've come, what else I have to do to level up, all that fun stuff. Haven't figured out how to structure a challenge like that so far. And then today in the shower, where all great ideas are spawned, I started thinking about how I've played through Final Fantasy XII two dozen times since the apocalypse started. I love it (obviously) but man does the beginning get boring when you can't do much of anything. At some point I started grinding hard at the very start in order to get more loot and better weapons and abilities sooner than they'd normally be accessible. All while sitting there going "ugh I can't wait until I get [spell]" and "this is so annoying without [party member]" and all that fun stuff. 

Oh hey, look at that. Starting well behind where I want to be and where I've been before, knowing how to get those things but blocked from them, having to do a bunch of repetitive and time-consuming tasks because I don't have the capabilities to do them any faster or progress without them... that sounds exactly like what I've been trying to avoid doing irl? Awkward. 

So I guess I have a theme for this challenge now.

Week 1: Do one guided meditation per day on Insight Timer.

Week 2: If I do 5/7 for week one, level up and add warm eye mask to daily meditation. If not, repeat week 1.

Week 3: TBD

Week 4: TBD

Week 5: TBD

Not sure what the other goals will be yet. I have ideas but want to see how the first week plays out first. 

• Like 11

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

This is entirely unrelated but I just got this email. So 2 years ago after covid became a thing the shitty PT place I went to in Maryland in 2016 sent out an email to 300+ people detailing what they were doing with covid. I know it was 300+ because they CCd everyone instead of BCC and I could see them all. The email was also sent from someone's personal address, not the business. So I filed a HIPPA complaint. Partly because it was justified but mostly because I'm a petty bitch and I hated that place anyway. 

I just got the letter from HHS closing the complaint. 

Y'all. This fucking physical therapy practice didn't think HIPPA applied to them, or that sharing people's personal emails in a message to patients counted as sharing personal information. And that I shouldn't have had a complaint because I previously consented to receive emails from them. 

My mind is fucking blown. 

There was other shit in the 3-page letter summarizing what happened and it sounds like there were a bunch of other violations on the business side of things (no training for employees?? because HIPPA didn't apply to them ofc) and I sincerely hoped they got fined up the ass. 

So anyway. Schadenfreude. And I still can't wrap my head around thinking they weren't subject to this. Christ.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

This is entirely unrelated but I just got this email. So 2 years ago after covid became a thing the shitty PT place I went to in Maryland in 2016 sent out an email to 300+ people detailing what they were doing with covid. I know it was 300+ because they CCd everyone instead of BCC and I could see them all. The email was also sent from someone's personal address, not the business. So I filed a HIPPA complaint. Partly because it was justified but mostly because I'm a petty bitch and I hated that place anyway. 

I just got the letter from HHS closing the complaint. 

Y'all. This fucking physical therapy practice didn't think HIPPA applied to them, or that sharing people's personal emails in a message to patients counted as sharing personal information. And that I shouldn't have had a complaint because I previously consented to receive emails from them. 

My mind is fucking blown. 

There was other shit in the 3-page letter summarizing what happened and it sounds like there were a bunch of other violations on the business side of things (no training for employees?? because HIPPA didn't apply to them ofc) and I sincerely hoped they got fined up the ass. 

So anyway. Schadenfreude. And I still can't wrap my head around thinking they weren't subject to this. Christ.

Holy Fornicating Blasphemy! They are toast. You just, don't mess with HIPPAA. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Holy Fornicating Blasphemy! They are toast. You just, don't mess with HIPPAA. 

right?! When I got the initial email it was fairly obvious someone forgot to BCC but just reading about all the other shit they did and excuses they made in the process I just... it does not compute. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yes physical therapists are absolutely subject to HIPAA regs. Fines can be up to a million dollars or more. E.g. each name released on that email is a single separate violation and there is a fine for each name release. They are so screwed. And good for you. That level of carelessness is completely unacceptable and potentially very damaging for some people.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Emma said:

Yes physical therapists are absolutely subject to HIPAA regs. Fines can be up to a million dollars or more. E.g. each name released on that email is a single separate violation and there is a fine for each name release. They are so screwed. And good for you. That level of carelessness is completely unacceptable and potentially very damaging for some people.

I am more than happy to have cost them that much money in that case. I mean, I didn’t, they did it to themselves. But I’m happy to be the one who reported them. 😈

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I don't think I would have realized that sending the email to everybody using CC instead of BCC could be a HIPAA violation (although it's still awful and super annoying because it only takes a couple of people hitting reply all and suddenly your inbox is full of 200 emails asking to be removed from the email chain). But failing to train employees in HIPAA? Yikes!

• Like 4

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

Writing this here to remind myself I have fancy tortillas, microwave rice, canned beans, and frozen peppers, onions, and corn. And spices. Thursday’s dinner really needs to be something burrito- or taco-esque. Particularly so I can make room in the freezer for other shit. This has been the plan a million times and then I just forget. I fucking hate food y’all. This is so stupid. 

1 hour ago, Ranger Hal said:

I don't think I would have realized that sending the email to everybody using CC instead of BCC could be a HIPAA violation (although it's still awful and super annoying because it only takes a couple of people hitting reply all and suddenly your inbox is full of 200 emails asking to be removed from the email chain). But failing to train employees in HIPAA? Yikes!

I think the reason it jumped at me is my email address is my full name, as were a lot of the other ones included. And like I said, I’m petty and this place was sketch so I jumped on the chance to fuck them up lol. Pretty sure that took me from “wtf how do you screw this up” to evil laughter in less than a minute. 

• Like 8

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

Writing this here to remind myself I have fancy tortillas, microwave rice, canned beans, and frozen peppers, onions, and corn. And spices. Thursday’s dinner really needs to be something burrito- or taco-esque.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Tacos aren't happening, this time through no fault of my own. When I said "I have X Y and Z" I meant they were coming in my grocery order today. Which was supposed to be here by now but is delated at least another two hours for unknown reasons. So I don't actually have the ingredients to make anything right now and I can't wait until it all gets here to start cooking. I guess we're doing Taco Friday this week?

Was gonna go out for Pokemon but my ankle said hell no. Probably angered it falling yesterday but I'm so used to it hurting that it didn't register. 

The first thing my father said to me today: "I know your arm hurts but you need to make all the outlets in your room accessible for Sunday" when the electrician comes back. I'm mad on so many levels. Didn't ask how I'm doing, just assumed not only that I was in pain and also that I'd use it as an excuse? And also of the three of us I'm the one with the least cleaning to do and the most reliable anyway? I don't even have to clean, I just need to move furniture. I don't think my brother's going to be anywhere near done by Sunday morning, nor do I think he'll be able to hide the gross stuff that's lurking in his room. But sure, let's harp on Flea. For the record my arm does hurt when I do certain things (like typing, boo), but I'm not in serious pain. Tempted to punch someone in the face and see what happens at this point. 

10 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

First off. Yay plan. I went looking for a Final Fantasy gif, but since I never played (may have to a some point) I got confused and gave up.

There are only 16(?) games and at least a dozen spinoffs so yeah getting confused is understandable. I also looked for good gifs and there were none, so don't worry lol

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

There are only 16(?) games and at least a dozen spinoffs so yeah getting confused is understandable. I also looked for good gifs and there were none, so don't worry lol

You need @shaar for FF gifs

• Like 2

Current Challenge

33 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I seriously want to tell your dad that he is picking on the wrong child, but well, I totally understand where you are coming from.

Hugs

I mean he’s literally afraid my brother will kill him if he gets angry, so of course he won’t pick on him. :rolleyes: I think you and I need to find somewhere to turn in our parents for upgraded models. 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

23 hours ago, fleaball said:

Do one guided meditation per day on Insight Timer.

I love Insight Timer. It's actually my favorite meditation app, although I use other ones depending on my purpose for meditating.

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

But sure, let's harp on Flea

giphy.gif

Sorry if that is out of line because I don't know your father, and I know the past few years have been rough for all of you, but this also feels familiar. My stepfather was/is a classic Narcissist and only his problems are real; everyone else's are either nonexistent or no big deal.

On a positive note, I am really glad you're here.

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

aaaaaaaaaaand I just got the cats dinner, looked in my father's room for boobcat since that's usually where he is this time of night, and instead of him I see my father standing there with his hands in his underwear. why is this my life. 

* edit: the door was wide open. it's not like I barged in unannounced or anything.

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Okay. Plan for Friday is to make sure the outlets behind my desk and bed are accessible for the electrician (I honestly don’t even know if they’re planning on doing anything in my room but my father insists they are). Go to a park to get Pokémon and on the way there stop at CVS to get rid of expired meds and also buy eye drops. Make food that resembles tacos in spirit but would never be identified as such because I can’t be fucked to do it properly right now. Dust in the bathroom because having the person allergic to dust do the dusting is always the best idea. :rolleyes: Maaaaybe work on a job application but there probably won’t be any spoons for that. That can happen Saturday or Sunday. Ugh. 

It sounds like a lot. But it doesn’t sound like Too Much. I will edit over the course of the day if it turns out to be unrealistic. 

<insert complaining about food here because I’m so over it but too lazy to type it all out>

2 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I love Insight Timer. It's actually my favorite meditation app, although I use other ones depending on my purpose for meditating.

I love it, although the search feature frustrates me. What else do you use? I’ve tried a few but nothing really clicked. I did like Headspace for a while forever ago though. 

2 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

giphy.gif

Sorry if that is out of line because I don't know your father, and I know the past few years have been rough for all of you, but this also feels familiar. My stepfather was/is a classic Narcissist and only his problems are real; everyone else's are either nonexistent or no big deal.

On a positive note, I am really glad you're here.

Honestly pretty much nothing is out of line when it comes to my father. I mean, I regularly post that I genuinely hope he dies soon. He’s a terrible person. I’m certainly not going to get offended on his behalf if you want to talk shit. I’m sorry you had to deal with similar stuff from your stepfather. No one should have to live with this kind of bullshit. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

My father is on a rampage, boobcat won’t eat his food, fat Kitty want to eat *all* the food, all of the cleaning in the house is triggering my allergies something awful, and I ran out of pokeballs in the middle of the event today so I can’t catch ‘em all. Boooooooo on everything about today. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Okay if y’all hear about someone going berserk in the metro Boston area and killing their father and sibling, that will be me and not my brother. I get out of the shower and my brother is telling my father he can’t clean his room anymore because he has nowhere to put the trash bags he already filled. My father mumbled something and then “well you did a good job.” 

he has spent the last fucking week and a half complaining to *me* about the state of my brother’s room and how there’s no way it’s going to be done by Sunday but it needs to be done by Sunday. 

and now my brother is saying ¯\_(ツ)_/ and my father is telling him good job. 

in the meantime the asthmatic person who is allergic to dust and cats has been spending the day cleaning up dust and cat hair, hence the shower because I couldn’t take it anymore. I was wearing a mask but that only helps so much.

i ordered spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and it’s going to wreak havoc on my acid reflux but I don’t have any fucks to give right now. I will eat my comfort food and play FFXII for the rest of the night and everyone else can get fucked. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Because you need a laugh.....

I loved my Father In Law. He was awesome..... but..... he had no filter on some things. After his double-bypass, he and his wife lived with us for several weeks. He spent much of that time on his laptop at my kitchen table and I walked behind him while he was watching the News. Naked News. It's exactly what you think, the current headlines, only the news presenters are all in the buff. I'm like "John" ** not his name to protect the innocent - Really? He said "YES, it's today's headlines. They have a channel with naked men too if you like. Here's my login. At least I convinced him to wear boxers at a minimum while he stayed with us (when we lived at his house after their accident for a year - that made for some surprise middle of the night run-ins heading to the bathroom).

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

My brother is currently pissed at me for being pissed at him because 30+ bags of trash later his room is still a cesspool and he’s calling it a night. Specifically, he asked if it was okay if he stopped because he can’t do anymore. I rolled my eyes. He said his back hurts. (I have zero sympathy there because a. after his sciatica bullshit last year he did absolutely nothing to treat it and b. those bags wouldn’t be nearly as heavy as they are if they weren’t fucking full of water bottles full of piss.) I said “well you said you’d have it done last week, then you said you’d have it done this week.” And he just walked away and slammed my door behind him. 

before now, he asked me a ton of stupid questions about feeding cats and I wanted to punch him because oh my god just make a fucking decision? and my father has been losing his shit over cleaning the main part of the house and complaining about how gross it is when news flash, that’s all you dude. And then I had to drag my ass to Home Depot to pick up a remote control for his ceiling fan, which I’ve been telling him to get all week,  because he’s been having stomach issues all day (probably the result of working himself into a frenzy) and didn’t think he could make it. I’m so done. 

when did I take up residence in a fucking daycare?

so anyway, it’s 2am. The electricians are coming around 9. I have not gone to bed yet because my brother was doing his spend-eternity-in-the-bathroom thing again, and then immediately jumped in the shower. This time it’s clearly on purpose, because in the past when he’s showered at odd times he’d ask if I needed the bathroom first. So here I am, looking at under six hours of sleep, quietly seething over what a cosmic joke my life is. That meditation goal could not be more well-timed. 

• Angry on your Behalf 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Oh my fucking god. Apparently today they’re just going to do the “rough work” which I’m assuming means just the rewiring of the living room and dining room, maybe not even all of it? So I spent two hours at lowes last week for no reason, fought with my brother for no reason and now he’s going to be even more pissed and not do the rest because he’s an asshole. 

i don’t actually care what they do or don’t do today, I just wish people could communicate properly. If we’d known that’s all they were doing today I would have made my father focus on those areas instead of trying to clean the kitchen (where they aren’t doing anything at all) and the bathroom and the back porch. And idk about anyone else but *I* would have been less stressed about my brother's room if I knew they weren’t going in there today. But idk if they told my father and he didn’t retain the information, or if they didn’t say anything about it, or what. So I’m mad at everyone and no one. 

and now I’m going to attempt to go back to sleep while they’re drilling and sawing. Huzzah. 

• Like 4
  • Angry on your Behalf 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Well this is odd, I was here earlier this week and could have sworn I followed, but apparently not? :confused:

So I'm here now...and I just have to say WTAF is wrong your brother? How did you end up normal in that house?

I know these are questions asked frequently around here but damn!

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda