The Dark Knightwatch Rises, episode 2

And, we’re back!  

I stuck to my goals fairly well through the last Challenge, though two bouts of travel made consistency a bit harder, as well as keeping things here regularly updated.  Though I got back to my training, my posting once again lagged behind.  So, that’s one main things I’m going to try dial in this time through: getting on here daily to poke around, even if I don’t have anything too exciting to update.

As for the goals, they’re going to pretty much be the same as last time, with some tweaks.  The overarching theme of my challenges this year are going to be about leveling up my character sheet, as seen in the post below this one.  The month to month challenges will be in service to that longer term plan, mostly based on habit building, with a few side quests added when I need to accomplish something specific on a timeline.

NUTRITION

I’m going to weigh in tomorrow AM, and I’m hoping to drop about 8 pounds off that starting number.  Nutrition continues to be my greatest nemesis, so I’m going to try to hit the following guidelines, at least five days out of the week, with weekly scorecards.

• Take in 5 servings of protein
  • Take in at least two servings of veggies
  • Take in at least one serving of fruit
  • Take in at least one gallon of water

You’ll notice that I don’t have any specific carb or fat benchmarks, mostly because, well, I never have a problem eating ENOUGH of those things.  It’s usually a matter of not eating enough of other stuff, and I’m going to be focusing more on addition than restriction, the working theory being that by making sure I’m getting in enough protein, veggies, and fruits, and drinking lots of water, things will somewhat autoregulate.

Obviously, I could up the intake of all that stuff AND the things I already eat too much of, and that obviously wont help me much at all.  So if I’m not autoregulating a bit and my weekly weigh-ins aren’t going in the right direction, I can adjust my approach accordingly.  

TRAINING

Training will stay pretty much the same, again, with some tweaks.  The foundation of it is still barbell work and WODs, with much of the strength stuff based around the “big 5”: press, squat, bench, deadlift, powerclean.

I’ll again be layering in some mobility/movement work, in the form of GMB’s Elements program, which I’ll strive to do at least 10 times over the Challenge.

I’ll also be adding in Dan John’s weighted pullup program, completely 12 sessions over the 5 weeks.  I won’t be adding a ton of external load, probably just 10 pounds to start, as I’m recovering from a couple wear and tear issue that make high rep work on pullups a little tricky.

The final addition to my training will be what I’m calling the “Daily 50”.  IN ADDITION to my programmed training for the day, at least five days a week, I can add in 50 reps of….anything.  Probably pushups, air squats, burpees, situps, super light thrusters or snatches, double under practice, or calories on a machine….things like that.  If those movements are dips, pullups, handstand pushups, or toes to bar, or generally more challenging exercises, I can do 25 and count it as a success.  This isn’t a workout program itself, of course, but just an indicator that I’m putting in that extra work to get better at things I kinda suck at….namely, bodyweight movements and conditioning.

LIFE STUFF

I’ll be working on this stuff in the background, but things that are moving forward include:

• Posting on my fledgling blog
  • Progressing towards my PL level 1 cert
  • Reorganing my apartment and decluttering
  • Reading a bunch of books

And that should do it!  I’ll reserve the next two posts to placehold my incoming Character Sheet and my Weekly Scorecards.

Good luck, fellow nerds!  Let’s do the thing!

• Like 3

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

KNIGHTWATCH

LEVEL 1 RANGER/AGENT/STREET LEVEL VIGILANTE

CURRENT STATS

STRENGTH

DEXTERITY

CONSTITUTION

INTELLIGENCE

WISDOM

CHARISMA

* I used one of those online test things to get a general sense of where my stats currently stand, and then I honestly brought them all down a little bit.  Why?  Well, I'm thinking of myself as "first level" here, and want to give myself "room to grow", so to speak.

CURRENT BENCHMARKS/PROGRESS FOR STAT BUMPS

STRENGTH

Press 190 x5

Squat 305 x 5

Bench Press 265 x 5

Deadlift 415 x 5

Close CoC #1 gripper 8 times per hand

* I feel this is something that's presently within reach, but I'll have to dedicate a little bit longer to them, and get back on track with grip training.  That's really fallen off.  As I hit these numbers in the course of my training, I'll check them off, and then all are completed I'll get +1 STR

DEXTERITY

16 unbroken dips

8 unbroken pullups

20 unbroken doubleunders

* Alright, so, obviously the dips and pullups are still kinda under the realm of "strength".  But when I consider dexterous characters, especially in the way I'm thinking of them (Bruce Wayne with gymnast rings in his gym), I also imagine handstands and muscle ups.  I'm waaaay off from both, but the dips and pullups are basic building blocks towards them.  And there's not much simpler in the realm of "body control" than just moving it up and down.  The dubs, meanwhile, are just a real basic "skill" involving coordination and timing and such that I used to be able to do in limited numbers, but have lost along the way.  Once I can pass all three tests, I'll set new benchmarks and gain a +1 DEX

CONSTITUTION

1 mile unbroken run

4 mile ruck

Lose 10 pounds

* Obviously the basics of endurance are covered here, but also the pure health element, too.  After I hit these I'll add a +1 to my CON, and set new, higher goals.

INTELLIGENCE

Finish 8 books

Accumulate 8 hours in study or practice in a non-fitness skill

* Pretty straight forward, here.  Finish 8 books of any length, and practice or study something for 8 hours total.   Can be split among a few skills (3 hours each of Duolingo and, I dunno, researching how to get HAM radio certified, and a couple hours of lessons on guitar)  That'll earn me a +1 INT, and a new set of benchmarks.

WISDOM

Accumulate 2 hours of meditation

Complete 2 books of Bible

* Another simple concept.  Obviously Wisdom can be reflected in lots of ways, but a real basic one is to work on calming my mind and studying my faith.  After this +1. maybe I'll explore some of those other manifestations of WIS.

CHARISMA

Finish 3 chapters of PN L1cert

Write and publish 3 blog entries

* Like WIS, Charisma can take many forms.  I'm thinking of it in terms of "leadership" and communication this time, two ways that I can work around my social awkwardness and interact with people

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

WEEK ONE

MON

TUES

WED

THURS

FRI

SAT

SUN

5 PROTEIN

✔️ ✔️ ✔️        

2 VEGGIES

✔️ ✔️ ✔️        

1 FRUIT

✔️ ✔️        

GALLON WATER

✔️ ✔️ ✔️        

DAILY 50

✔️ ✔️          

MOVEMENT/SKILL

DAN JOHN PULLUPS

✔️   ✔️        

STARTING WEIGHT:   253.0             MIDWEEK WEIGHT:    151.5                   ENDING WEIGHT:

WEEK TWO

MON

TUES

WED

THURS

FRI

SAT

SUN

5 PROTEIN

2 VEGGIES

1 FRUIT

GALLON WATER

DAILY 50

MOVEMENT/SKILL

DAN JOHN PULLUPS

STARTING WEIGHT:                   MIDWEEK WEIGHT:                         ENDING WEIGHT

WEEK THREE

MON

TUES

WED

THURS

FRI

SAT

SUN

5 PROTEIN

2 VEGGIES

1 FRUIT

GALLON WATER

DAILY 50

MOVEMENT/SKILL

DAN JOHN PULLUPS

STARTING WEIGHT:                         MIDWEEK WEIGHT:                    ENDING WEIGHT:

WEEK FOUR

MON

TUES

WED

THURS

FRI

SAT

SUN

5 PROTEIN

2 VEGGIES

1 FRUIT

GALLON WATER

DAILY 50

MOVEMENT/SKILL

DAN JOHN PULLUPS

STARTING WEIGHT:                          MIDWEEK WEIGHT:                      ENDING WEIGHT

WEEK FIVE

MON

TUES

WED

THURS

FRI

SAT

SUN

5 PROTEIN

2 VEGGIES

1 FRUIT

GALLON WATER

DAILY 50

MOVEMENT/SKILL

DAN JOHN PULLUPS

STARTING WEIGHT:                          MIDWEEK WEIGHT:                      ENDING WEIGHT

• Like 1

Glad to see you back, and especially to hear that your last challenge went so well.  I'm excited to see what you do with your vigilante this month!

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

On 2/12/2022 at 3:20 PM, Defining said:

You're part of the 1000lb club, and you're calling  yourself "first level"?! 

holycrap-holyshit.gif.82ee4d8ddc3e32e12196d53cc1052b06.gif

Well, it's kinda like my only trick, though.  ;)

The levels to me are more representing how far along I'm getting on my quest to sort of reinvent myself, and inject some zest back into my life.  :) 

19 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Glad to see you back, and especially to hear that your last challenge went so well.  I'm excited to see what you do with your vigilante this month!

Thank you sir!

4 hours ago, Rooks said:

I like the breakdown of your goals. Clear and concise. I'll be here routing for you. 

Thank you, much appreciated!

MON, 14FEB2022

NUTRITION

I hit my 5 servings or protein, with the aid of two shakes.  Veggies came in the form of a GIANT salad with steak tips, and I got in my four 32oz nalgenes (or a gallon) worth of water.  I didn't hit my fruit serving for the day because I brought an apple to the gym to have with my shake after and, uh, just plain forgot about it.  Whoops.

TRAINING

FRONT SQUATS

135 x 5

155 x 5

175 x 5

175 x 5

175 x 5

*did two strict pullups after every set

DUAL KB ROMANIAN DEADLIFT

Used a pair of 2pood KBs for this, hitting 3 sets of 10

DAN JOHN PULLUP PROGRAM

I'll be using a mere 10 pounds throughout this challenge, slooooowly adding a rep at a time.

10 x 3

10 x 2

10 x 1

10 x 1

WOD

done with a partner, splitting the work

50-40-30-20-10, of:

wallballs

medball situps

bike calories

* each partner does 2 strict pullups + 2 toes-to-bar after every round, which we used a scale for ropeclimbs.

All in all, it was a fairly successful day!  Nutrition is off to a decent start today, and I'm headed to the gym shortly for some chest and conditioning and perhaps a mobility/movement session.

TUES, 15FEB2022

NUTRITION

Hit all my nutrition goals today, with 5 servings of protein, 2 veggies, 1 fruit, and a gallon of water!  Now, to stave off the urge for cookies before bed....  😬

TRAINING

Training was pretty good today as well...

POWER CLEANS

worked up to a triple with 215

KB SHRUGS

4 sets of 12 with 2pood KBs

WOD

3 rounds of:

1 clean and jerk 

1 pulllup

2 pushups

2 KB swings

2 clean and jerk 

2 pulllup

4 pushups

4 KB swings

3 clean and jerk 

3 pulllup

6 pushups

6 KB swings

4 clean and jerk 

4 pulllup

8 pushups

8 KB swings

5 clean and jerk 

5 pulllup

10 pushups

10 KB swings

Finished in just under 30 minutes.  It was pretty deceptive.  The "mini rounds" of 4/4/8/8 and 5/5/10/10 were pretty rough, but then I could sorta recover with the 1/1/2/2 and 2/2/4/4 ones.

DAILY 50

cashed out with a quick 60 extra cals, hitting a sprint of 15 each on the bike, rower, ski erg, and air runner

Yesterday was another fairly successful day, all in all!

WED, 16FEB2022

DB BENCH PRESS

70s x 8

80s x 8

90s x 8

100s x 8

100s x 8

*15 band pullaparts after each set

WEIGHTED DIP

10 x 5

10 x 5

10 x 5

WEIGHTED PULLUP 

(session 2 of the Dan John program)

10 x 3

10 x 2

10 x 1

10 x 1

INCLINE DB BENCH

did a fun rep scheme here working in alternating one arm reps. easier to post a video than explain it, but did 2 sets with the 50s

*15 band facepulls after both sets

WOD

with a partner, 3 rounds:

40 cals (one round each, row/bike/ski)

30 burpess 

20 box jumps

10 sandbag over-shoulders with 125

However, I did totally forget to get in my “daily 50” last night.  Doh!

NUTRITION

Pretty much hit everything yesterday.  Protein, veggies, fruit, and water goals all nailed.  

Today I’ve got a dentist thing going on, so I probably won’t train much at all, but maybe I’ll get in some movement/mobility work in.  Thus, my food intake might be adjusted a bit too, to accommodate a lighter day over all.  

• Like 2