Becoming a spy

I've always wanted to create a challenge based on a book series I loved as a teenager - CHERUB by Robert Muchamore.

The goal is to become the highest ranked spy... Which sort of fits the Rebellion, doesn't it? Here's the ranking system I'll be using:

Spoiler

Orange shirt (entry level, gotta prove myself worthy):

* Bodyweight WO level 1

* German level pre-A1 (flashcards)

* Spanish level pre-A1 (flashcards)

* NF Nutrition level 1

Red shirt (preparing for the hardest period; learning the hero lifestyle):

* Bodyweight WO level 2 + 3 + 4

* German level A1 (book + flashcards)

* Spanish level A1 (book + flashcards)

* NF Nutrition level 2 + Drink more water journey

Blue shirt (the biggest challenge to strengthen mind body and soul):

* Bodyweight WO level 5 + 6 + 7 + 8

* German level A2 (book + flashcards)

* Spanish level A2 (book + flashcards)

* Russian level pre-A1 + A1 + A2 (no resources yet)

* NF Nutrition level 3

Grey shirt (finally a spy! But only the lowest rank):

* Bodyweight WO level 9 + 10 + 11 + 12

* German level B1 (book + flashcards)

* Spanish level B1 (book + flashcards)

* Russian level B1 (no resources yet)

* NF Nutrition level 4 + 5

Navy blue shirt (I'm getting good! :) ):

* Bodyweight WO level 13 + 14 + 15 + 16

* German level B2 (flashcards)

* Spanish level B2 (flashcards)

* Russian level B2 (no resources yet)

* NF Nutrition level 6 + 7

Black shirt (joning the elite! The best of the best):

* Bodyweight WO level 17 + 18 + 19 + 20

* German level C1 (flashcards)

* Spanish level C1 (no resources yet)

* Russian level C1 (no resources yet)

* NF Nutrition level 8 + 9

White shirt (retired hero turned wise woman):

* Bodyweight WO level 21

* German level C2 (flashcards)

* Spanish level C2 (no resources yet)

* Russian level C2 (no resources yet)

* NF Nutrition level 10

The current villain I'm fighting is a vicious one - a master of distraction, chaos and all things sparkly.

Adult ADHD

His minions use various techniques:

* Procrastination (waiting until night to work out) | Fight with: work out in the morning in pyjamas

* Distraction (they make it impossible to commit to a longer workout) | Fight with: focus on short workouts like the Bodyweight series

* Impulsivity: (checking phone or getting otherwise distracted) | Fight with: still searching for strategy

* Poor time management: ("Now or not now. Usually not now." -Jessica McCabe) | Fight with: radically implementing productivity techniques 

* Poor money management: (splurging on stuff only to use it sporadically) | Fight with: still searching for strategy

* ...and many more out there, lurking in the shadows.

Notes: 

* Stick to short workouts.

* Ignore vocabulary you know well. Focus on those you're not sure about.

* Food... This is a battle. I know where I want to be (keto+IF) but I'm not sure if I have the strength to do it. I just snack emotionally way too often.

* Get those Russian resources eventually.

I'll be updating everyday battles here. Hopefully I'll fulfill the dream of having a looong thread, full of joy.

By the way, this Rebellion is big. Does anyone have tips and tricks for these challenges and/or generally ADHD problems? :)

~*~
"Darkness dissolved and a new day began.
The Light of Meridian returned to shine once again.
And never again would anyone stop its splendor."

~*~

Challenges: 1

As for today, working out in the morning has become easier. Having finished level 1, I'm having fun with the kettlebell journey, using a 2kg dumbbell instead. I tried doing the yoga group challenge, but no. Brain can't take the lengthy workout. I'll go easy on it now, hopefully it eases once I get exercise regularly.

About food, I need to keep candy limited. It's easy to take a piece or two to work, no more. The issue arises when I'm bored or upset. How to keep snacks at home and not eat them? Some people can do that and it's astonishing.

I need to get back to flashcards after a few day period. Perhaps I'm not a study-in-bus kind of person and that's alright. Oh, and I want to keep the languages separated. They mix way too easily.

Side note: I'm having an internship at a nursery (been there for 1 week). One of the kids just hugged me goodbye twice! So sweet ❤️ Even though it's mostly kids, it still feels better socially than sitting alone at home.

EDIT: Does anybody know of short and sweet flexibility/yoga workouts? Under 10 min. Or do those just not exist?

~*~

~*~

Love your challenge and theme! I feel like you really have a handle on what works vs what doesn't - scheduling shorter workouts and giving yourself permission to change up your routine is a good way to ease into regular exercise! 

30 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

By the way, this Rebellion is big. Does anyone have tips and tricks for these challenges and/or generally ADHD problems? :)

I've been on my own ADHD journey, and nowhere near the finish line! But there are a few things that I've learned work well with my brain:

1. Read the book Atomic Habits (or read his blog) - this was such a game changer to me in terms of how to create habits I'll actually do consistently!

2. I find that calendar blocking helps me get started with something I'm inclined to procrastinate on. Other people like the pomodoro technique, but I just won't even start that timer. 🤷‍♀️

3. Leave my phone somewhere else - upstairs or next to my bed or anywhere but close at hand. Out of sight, out of mind.

4. Cart cooldown - when online shopping I leave things in my cart for 24 hours to decide if I still really want them

Of course, none of these work perfectly all the time! But, in general, I've been able to be more focused and productive. Also - just working with your brain helps! I get bored doing the same workout over and over, so I do a different yoga video every time! Maybe working out can mean going outside for a walk on a sunny day or staying in and doing squats while watching a movie. Listen to what your impulses want to do and find a way to make the challenges fun.

23 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Side note: I'm having an internship at a nursery (been there for 1 week). One of the kids just hugged me goodbye twice! So sweet ❤️ Even though it's mostly kids, it still feels better socially than sitting alone at home.

This sounds SO adorable! I have two kids in nursery and I love that you have such a good relationship with the kids there already - it's what all the parents hope for! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

1. Atomic Habits is great ....but I forgot to follow through 😅 Thanks for the reminder!

2. How do you keep track of time blocks? I like pomodoros for easier stuff, like cleaning, and I've considered time blocking but I just don't remember about it. Oh, and how do you actually start a task when you have a bit less motivation?

3. Right. I keep having it next to me.

4. This one's gonna be hard 😅 But you're right. A ton of things lose their sparkle after a day or two.

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

33 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

2. How do you keep track of time blocks? I like pomodoros for easier stuff, like cleaning, and I've considered time blocking but I just don't remember about it. Oh, and how do you actually start a task when you have a bit less motivation?

I literally schedule it in Google Calendar — mine looks like this at the moment:

1098549890_CleanShot2022-02-15at14_06_34.png.a3921e4d927cb7e2c7961bda4d43bece.png

And I set reminders on my phone to go off 10min and then 1 min before an event, to cue me into doing the thing. It definitely doesn't work all the time though! (Hey look, I should be working right now...) I try to do the 2 minute rule: start the thing and just do 2 minutes. After that I can stop/get distracted/whatever. Usually I find that 2 minutes isn't so hard that I can't start... yet it's just long enough to get my brain to shift gears and keep doing the thing after the 2 minute is up.

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 2/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lucia Aethera said:

EDIT: Does anybody know of short and sweet flexibility/yoga workouts? Under 10 min. Or do those just not exist?

Personally haven't looked into anything outside of prenatal/postpartum yoga yet (started after I was pregnant), but did a quick search on YouTube and this is what came up. :)

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1