Juliebarkley drags herself to the goal

Little late, but here.

I am moving again roughly a week after this challenge ends, assuming nothing changes. And I am so over it. Packing a few bags, setting everything on fire, and jetting off to a warm beach somewhere is starting to sound like a sensible and rational plan, but even that would involve packing bags, and who wants to do that?

This whole situation is psychologically wearing and often overwhelming to think about, and in order to make time (which I then procrastinated away), I abandoned the habits that are supposed to help me cope: exercise, prayer, gratitude, fiddling joyful music. (I have mostly kept up the reading). Which left the only "acceptable" thing to do working on the move, which of course led to procrastination, extremely long breaks, ruminating on other stressful things, etc. Not the most productive in terms of stress reduction, mental health, or basic self-compassion.

So this challenge, while I am carrying over goal-oriented items from last time, my real focus is on the habit items (bolded). My non-habit goals are going to be of the take-that-box-and-fill-it-with-things variety, but if I need a break, I still intend to roll against my list and do Something Else when I need to. Assuming my habits are all done, of course. ;)

STR

• Exercise daily with GMB programs.
  • Make a list of specific movements that could be interesting to build towards, such as a pullup or pistol.

DEX

• I will build a skill tree to figure out which movements "unlock" harder skills.

CON

• Eat at least two meals every day.

INT

• Read two books per challenge, one fiction, one non-fiction, both of a different genre/topic than previous challenge.

WIS

• Find a study circle and join it.
  • Read Quran every day, even if only a handful of verses.
  • Pray every day, even if just a quick prayer of gratitude.

CHA

• Start training for volunteer position (scheduled for early March).

Occupational

• Get all my Amazon stock listed.
  • Assemble tax information and place it in an easy-to-find place pre-move.

Art & Tool

• Practice fiddle every day.
  • Find a challenging fiddle piece as a goal for the year.
  • Have another look at the many organization categories that need purging and make some sort of realistic plan for this.
  • Try one fun new thing per challenge cycle. One session of trying it out is fine to fulfill the goal.

Language

• Activate and/or schedule plan for practicing languages. Schedule annual goal items.
  • Continue my daily Duolingo lessons in at least one language per day, as well as my Arabic lessons through Bayyinah (at least two per week).
  • Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

Moving really really sucks - I hope your habits help keep you sane! Can you do something like pomodoro packing? (Pack a box, read a chapter, pack another box, do a Duolingo lesson...)

That's been more or less the plan. Coming back to the work after the break has been spotty though.

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Following! :) 

Welcome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um so...

Exercise: no.

Eating: kind of?

Reading: yes. (Finished The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry a few days ago, and have started The Politics Industry: How Political Innovation Can Break Partisan Gridlock and Save Our Democracy. I've only made it a little past the intro, but so far it is promising and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Quran: no.

Prayer: no. I could probably do this and the previous entry before bed. Indeed, while in bed.

Fiddle: no. It has not migrated back downstairs yet after its little adventure.

Not the most sparkling start. I had to work today, and it turned out no one has made supper plans, so food in the evening was a bit random. I did make good progress on the book packing, and I got my son to test boxes for weight to identify the ones that most need repacking. I felt much better about that end of things by the end of the day. The books are almost all repacked (maybe five or six more boxes), and there aren't too many other boxes that really badly need repacking. There isn't that much stuff we're currently using that will fit in a box that isn't already in one. I can think of a few other things that need to be done, but right at this exact moment, it feels manageable. This feeling may not last, but I'm enjoying it for now. :)

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

21 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Not the most sparkling start. I had to work today, and it turned out no one has made supper plans, so food in the evening was a bit random. I did make good progress on the book packing, and I got my son to test boxes for weight to identify the ones that most need repacking. I felt much better about that end of things by the end of the day. The books are almost all repacked (maybe five or six more boxes), and there aren't too many other boxes that really badly need repacking. There isn't that much stuff we're currently using that will fit in a box that isn't already in one. I can think of a few other things that need to be done, but right at this exact moment, it feels manageable. This feeling may not last, but I'm enjoying it for now. :)

By all means, enjoy! You are making great progress and managing the packing like a boss. 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

So this challenge, while I am carrying over goal-oriented items from last time, my real focus is on the habit items (bolded). My non-habit goals are going to be of the take-that-box-and-fill-it-with-things variety, but if I need a break, I still intend to roll against my list and do Something Else when I need to. Assuming my habits are all done, of course. ;)

Smart to focus on existing habits!

Just a little longer now! You've got this. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

By all means, enjoy! You are making great progress and managing the packing like a boss. 

Done and done. :) And not being so overwhelmed makes the work easier and more gets done; who knew? ;)

16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Smart to focus on existing habits!

"Existing" is an optimistic framing of the habit situation...

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Same

Well, I'm glad you're here. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mid-day update.

The books in the basement are 100% packed!

However, the book wall of books to be sold/donated collapsed in spectacular fashion shortly after I woke up (onto a beanbag chair, so neither I nor any books were harmed). The next step this evening will be to sort those by weight (and rebuild the wall) while listening to some of my podcast backlog. Could be worse.

No habits have happened yet. Clearly they need some work.

• Like 3

Exercise: yes. I have been doing the 15 minute version most days, but this was the first day in a long time that I chose the please-go-easy-on-me option.

Eating: one of the meals was fast food, but there were two meals.

Reading: only a few pages. Still in the first chapter.

Quran: yes.

Prayer: planning on doing this after the post.

Fiddle: no. My fiddle spot is temporarily full of empty cardboard boxes (as is about a quarter of the basement). My willpower today did not extend to moving them.

All the books have been weighed and neatly stacked again. This task also now feels manageable.

While packing the books, I found a box of my son's paperwork (ie. the stuff that was lying loose in the bottom of his closet last move that we threw in a box at the last minute). He went through that, sharing artwork and stories he'd written and such, and that was fun, but he also found a bunch of school records and things that are now added to my pile of paperwork to deal with. And my pile includes a big Tupperware full of work stuff (not all true paperwork, but we'll call it honorary paperwork), another of personal-memory type papers from high school plays and trips and such (also not all actual papers), and four small boxes of God-only-knows-what. Thank goodness someone else has already done the photos. I really should try to whittle this enormous pile down rather than move it again. Those are heavy boxes. I'll have to repack them anyway. They're just so time-consuming, is all.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

All the books have been weighed and neatly stacked again. This task also now feels manageable.

While packing the books, I found a box of my son's paperwork (ie. the stuff that was lying loose in the bottom of his closet last move that we threw in a box at the last minute). He went through that, sharing artwork and stories he'd written and such, and that was fun, but he also found a bunch of school records and things that are now added to my pile of paperwork to deal with. And my pile includes a big Tupperware full of work stuff (not all true paperwork, but we'll call it honorary paperwork), another of personal-memory type papers from high school plays and trips and such (also not all actual papers), and four small boxes of God-only-knows-what. Thank goodness someone else has already done the photos. I really should try to whittle this enormous pile down rather than move it again. Those are heavy boxes. I'll have to repack them anyway. They're just so time-consuming, is all.

Yay for getting the books stacked so they are no longer an immediate health hazard! I hope they now can rapidly leave for new homes that are not yours.

I hear you about finding papers that need to be sorted. I recently went through a box like that (for the third time) and finally got the papers I want to keep sorted into files and put in a filing cabinet. You might find something like this helpful for sorting and moving papers:

There are several options for larger storage boxes too. The bigger they are the heavier, and it is easier to keep one subject together in a smaller box. Dumbledore uses these for project boxes. He keeps the notebooks and papers for one RPG campaign in each box. The grey section at the top holds pens and small items.

You are doing great on sorting and packing. I hope that you get some time soon to do more of the fun things like reading and playing fiddle.

• Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

7 hours ago, Mistr said:

You might find something like this helpful for sorting and moving papers:

I have a little box like that that I use for my filed papers: business documents, art projects, passports, etc. Other than this year's postage receipts, I have most of the important stuff filed away safely. The unsorted papers are highly miscellaneous: genealogical notes, photocopies of patterns, swimming report cards, Christmas cards, D&D ideas... I truly never know what I will find in there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only habit item I did was to finish reading the first chapter of my book. It's got some repetitive bits, which is pretty much to be expected from an idea that started out as a journal article that was then expanded into a book. And though it is about the US, there are some bits that carry over into my own country's political structure, so that is an extra bit of interest.

No habit items were planned, because Tuesday doesn't really allow a lot of down time between work and D&D if I want to eat, but D&D was cancelled because not enough players could make it. So, I grabbed the school records box and began a mighty purge. (For instance, I no longer need math books from the elementary grades to potentially prove to a court that my child is receiving an education, nor will any university or college be interested.) The box is now less than half its original size and probably a quarter of its original weight. Victory.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

Excellent work! It is always so satisfying to get rid of old things that have finished serving a purpose.

It's even better when they can be rehomed to places that will appreciate them. But in this case, it just all went to the recycling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise: yes.

Eating: I guess there were two. They were pretty small though.

Reading: yes. The chapters in this book are on the longer side, and I didn't finish one today. I had better get a move on with it though, if I want to finish by the end of the month.

Prayer: yes.

Fiddle: no. There is room now, though.

Some stuff at work hit my self-esteem pretty hard (wholly unintentionally, I hasten to add), so I was not in a super good place when I got home. I had a pleasant conversation online though, and that seemed to put me to rights. But I didn't get much else done before I got really tired. Intentions were good; follow-through was poor. I have a good idea what I want to work on tomorrow though, so fingers crossed follow-through will be better for Tomorrow Me.

• Like 3

Exercise: not yet. Perhaps later.

Eating: Just one. But I'm going to go have some cheese and crackers after this post. :)

Reading: yes. I think this now finishes up the chapters outlining the problems and how they got that way, which is good, because they are depressing chapters. Very quick summary: the neutral elements of legislative machinery that let them actually work (and allowed compromise and consensus-building) were pulled into partisanship by both parties (first the Democrats, then the Republicans) starting in the 1970s, there's no incentive for either party to find solutions for important issues because letting them fester (then blaming the other guy for obstructing) keeps their bases more motivated to vote and donate, and because the political structure has stopped serving the people (and instead serves the interests of the two main parties), the nation suffers materially in myriad ways, so what might seem an abstract problem is a real threat to citizens' quality of life and the future of the nation. The next section should be more hopeful, as it deals with the solutions part of the book's thesis.

Prayer: yes.

Fiddle: no. Might later. Need to follow time block prompts.

Habits have not been so great today, because I was in project mode. I got the first stack of potential sale books listed and/or donated (or more likely in this case, recycled). That took a while, but not as long as I had feared. I'll definitely have time to get the rest listed. Whether I'll have time to send things to Amazon is another matter. We'll see. I hope so.

• Like 5

Yesterday, I got a big pile of books done, but no habits. (Though I did get through more than 500 XP of Duolingo!)

Today, I got (some) habits done, but am just sitting down to the project stuff (ie. the next book pile). Really wish I could get these things to work more happily together.

Exercise: yes.

Eating: yes.

Reading: yes. Finished the book. In the solutions section, the first chapter drew parallels between now and the political situation in the Gilded Age (1880-1900ish), and how they resolved their dysfunction. The second described the authors' own plan of action in some detail. The last was a call to action for readers to personally get involved in the change (apparently this part was offensive to some of the GoodReads reviewers). I'm a little disappointed that the author's proposed reforms wouldn't do much for my own nation (though they did make me look up organizations promoting electoral reform here), but I'm not their target audience. They would do good things for the US though. Godspeed.

Prayer: not yet.

Fiddle: no. People were working in the basement all day (I got other people to help!), and now people are sleeping.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

The last was a call to action for readers to personally get involved in the change (apparently this part was offensive to some of the GoodReads reviewers).

I'm sure it came as a complete surprise to them too.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm sure it came as a complete surprise to them too.

"You mean you've spent this whole book talking about how this problem is solvable, was solved by the initiative of ordinary people in the past, and there are organizations out there working successfully to solve it right now, and you want me, a person who cares enough about politics to pick up a book on electoral reform, to get off the couch and actually do something? I didn't create this problem! How very dare you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a bad day for both projects and habits, and just for initiative generally. Just don't wanna do anything. Nothing productive, not even anything fun. I know this is where the force of habit is supposed to carry you through, but, well, the foundation just isn't strong enough. I will try to work on some books, but most likely I will go to sleep soon and hope for better tomorrow.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

It's been a bad day for both projects and habits, and just for initiative generally. Just don't wanna do anything. Nothing productive, not even anything fun. I know this is where the force of habit is supposed to carry you through, but, well, the foundation just isn't strong enough. I will try to work on some books, but most likely I will go to sleep soon and hope for better tomorrow.

I feel you. Hope tomorrow is better. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not alone in this. It's been an "ugh" kind of day.

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

"You mean you've spent this whole book talking about how this problem is solvable, was solved by the initiative of ordinary people in the past, and there are organizations out there working successfully to solve it right now, and you want me, a person who cares enough about politics to pick up a book on electoral reform, to get off the couch and actually do something? I didn't create this problem! How very dare you!"

"Changing my profile picture on all my social media accounts doesn't count as activism?! How dare you imply that distant, abstract, caring in vague ways that make me sound smart when I'm  discussing current events at parties isn't good enough!" :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/27/2022 at 11:41 PM, Jupiter said:

I feel you. Hope tomorrow is better. 

On 2/27/2022 at 11:44 PM, Scaly Freak said:

You are not alone in this. It's been an "ugh" kind of day.

Oh no, it is contagious!

16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hugs! 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

"Changing my profile picture on all my social media accounts doesn't count as activism?! How dare you imply that distant, abstract, caring in vague ways that make me sound smart when I'm  discussing current events at parties isn't good enough!" :P 

"Look, I'm sorry, that it'll take more than five minutes of your time and you can't use it to show your friends how great you are. But you can actually be a part of something great; it'll just take a little work, and.... Wait, where are you going? Man, tough crowd."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, um, did not do better today. I was all ready to do the thing as soon as I got up and then ... just ... didn't. :( Why do I do this? Now I have made myself more work for later, more stress by compressing what needs to be done into fewer days. And I know my son still wants to get out to some of the museums if we can. I don't want to disappoint him. (And I'd really like to go too.) So yeah, kind of feeling like a failure and a terrible person right now. Sorry. Welcome to my pity party. I will do a small pile of books and then go to bed, so I can say at least I accomplished something other than taking up space today.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I, um, did not do better today. I was all ready to do the thing as soon as I got up and then ... just ... didn't. :( Why do I do this? Now I have made myself more work for later, more stress by compressing what needs to be done into fewer days. And I know my son still wants to get out to some of the museums if we can. I don't want to disappoint him. (And I'd really like to go too.)

Sometimes breaks help us be more productive in the remaining time! Can you schedule in a museum visit as a reward/motivator?

On 2/27/2022 at 5:20 AM, juliebarkley said:

I'm a little disappointed that the author's proposed reforms wouldn't do much for my own nation (though they did make me look up organizations promoting electoral reform here), but I'm not their target audience. They would do good things for the US though. Godspeed.

Thank you for the book summary - it sounds very interesting! What were the proposed solutions? Having more political parties, ranked choice voting or a similar system, and getting lobbyist money out of politics are the common ones that I hear, but I'm curious if the authors proposed something different. 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh man, I wish I knew! But I do know it doesn't make you a terrible person.

I know. It was mostly just a vent of frustration. But thanks. :)

4 hours ago, Alanna said:

Sometimes breaks help us be more productive in the remaining time! Can you schedule in a museum visit as a reward/motivator?

Maaaybe? I'm relying on picking up a museum pass from the library, but since they've been closed for a while, everyone and their dog wants them, and I'm not allowed to check them out while I'm working. One of the smaller (but interesting) ones that we wanted to visit is on a less popular pass though. Really hoping for that one.

4 hours ago, Alanna said:

Thank you for the book summary - it sounds very interesting! What were the proposed solutions? Having more political parties, ranked choice voting or a similar system, and getting lobbyist money out of politics are the common ones that I hear, but I'm curious if the authors proposed something different. 

So, spoil the book for you? :P There were two parts: a top-five ranked-choice open primary (much like what recently passed in Alaska), and then once that is in place in several states, a review of the legislative rules of the game to reduce partisanship and increase neutrality there. But the first was definitely the priority, both because it is more immediately achievable and because they believe that once it is in place, certain other changes would likely follow naturally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have little to report. Not much was planned, and not much happened. I put some pieces in a puzzle and managed to eat supper. Tuesdays, man.

• Like 3