Rookie Tries Keto Again

Last challenge was a bit crazy for me to say the least  but here we are! After trying on our waders for fly fishing, Mr.R and I have come to the decision to try keto again until May 14 which is our fly fishing lesson. This challenge will mainly focus on trying to get started with keto and getting into the flow. 

Goals: 

- Stay under 50g carbs

- Attempt 5 minutes on elliptical 2x/week

- Paint 1 time / week 

- Meal plan 1 time/week 

And of course in addition to all that I will be riding 3 times a week. Fingers crossed we got Daisy’s cough under control this time. 

• Like 13

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

2 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I'm a keto fan (although I can't actually eat red meat- allergic)  😊 Been doing it for a while so following along! 

Haha that gif is oddly satisfying to watch! :) What are your go-to meals / snacks? We did it maybe 4 years ago? It was working really well but I ended up being miserable and I wasn't super creative with food and we ended up having a lot of ground beef by the end. Then binging and getting run over by the wagon and gaining it all back + some. 

43 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Haha that gif is oddly satisfying to watch! :) What are your go-to meals / snacks? We did it maybe 4 years ago? It was working really well but I ended up being miserable and I wasn't super creative with food and we ended up having a lot of ground beef by the end. Then binging and getting run over by the wagon and gaining it all back + some. 

Oo! I have so many! Quickly off the top of my head- here’s my two favourite at the moment. Always happy to provide more!

MEAL: I tend to be pretty simple- meat, veggies, sometimes a low carb sauce. My go to favourite is duck breast! I love it :0 Score the fatty side and rub in lots of salt and herbs (I love tarragon, a bit of thyme and oregano). Once rested at room temperature for a while, pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees celcius and a frypan on high. 3 minutes fatty side down in the pan then 1 minute meat side down. Transfer to an oven proof dish and pour over the juices. Into the oven for 8.5-9 minutes. Should be like steak with the pinkness.

579739AA-E92F-4DEC-B1E7-DDBDFCBA582F.thumb.jpeg.77dbbf18071a691e2e3d6184792c62d6.jpeg

SNACKS: Currently I’m really into some keto cherry jam spread over a slice of smoke turkey then layer on some brie! Then roll it up!

EE14FE83-4980-4B76-A02B-27CEC161A1D6.thumb.jpeg.b6d02854ea6fe5ec745252666a4f4c04.jpeg

• Like 1

⭐2022 Challenges: Apr 22, May 22, June 22

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

15 minutes ago, SakuraKitsune said:

Oo! I have so many! Quickly off the top of my head- here’s my two favourite at the moment. Always happy to provide more!

MEAL: I tend to be pretty simple- meat, veggies, sometimes a low carb sauce. My go to favourite is duck breast! I love it :0 Score the fatty side and rub in lots of salt and herbs (I love tarragon, a bit of thyme and oregano). Once rested at room temperature for a while, pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees celcius and a frypan on high. 3 minutes fatty side down in the pan then 1 minute meat side down. Transfer to an oven proof dish and pour over the juices. Into the oven for 8.5-9 minutes. Should be like steak with the pinkness.

SNACKS: Currently I’m really into some keto cherry jam spread over a slice of smoke turkey then layer on some brie!

I am always down for recipe sharing! :) As long as it doesn't involve zucchini boats lol I hate those even though I like zucchini 

You know... I think I have never had duck haha. I will need to have a look at the store. 

Mmmmmm brie cheese ❤️ I forgot about that haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rookie said:

I am always down for recipe sharing! :) As long as it doesn't involve zucchini boats lol I hate those even though I like zucchini 

You know... I think I have never had duck haha. I will need to have a look at the store. 

Mmmmmm brie cheese ❤️ I forgot about that haha

Dude, I down for anything that isn’t zucchini noodles. I’m done with frikkin zoodles!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

⭐2022 Challenges: Apr 22, May 22, June 22

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

13 minutes ago, NemoG said:

Good luck!
It worked ver well for me and it's very sustainable. I live with someone who seems to not be able to leave the karbs and without support it's harder so i hope if you share meal time the people you share with support you on this challenge! 

I live with my fiancé and his brother. We are all doing it together :) And for the rest the majority of this challenge I will still be working from home. Which I hope will make it easier.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Standard zucchini boat recipes are terrible though. The only way they are edible is with plenty of pepper and salt in the zucchini itself, and to pre-roast it before filling them. Anyway, I can't really help you with the keto recipes because my eating-pattern is really carb-heavy. Is the weather still cold enough for everything sauerkraut? Your egg with spinach and cheese looks good :).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Standard zucchini boat recipes are terrible though. The only way they are edible is with plenty of pepper and salt in the zucchini itself, and to pre-roast it before filling them. Anyway, I can't really help you with the keto recipes because my eating-pattern is really carb-heavy. Is the weather still cold enough for everything sauerkraut? Your egg with spinach and cheese looks good :).

Any time is Sauerkraut time! Though the cabbages are out of season right now I suspect. Mr.R did mention we should make some more for keto though. I think we only have 1 jar left from last time so we will definitely be making more soon! 

• Like 1

I love a straight forward challenge.  I'm here for it!  (hopefully more consistently this time)

• That's Metal 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

I made zucchini boats once. Ever since then I just chop and sauté the zucchini and serve that with whatever the filling was supposed to be.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I made zucchini boats once. Ever since then I just chop and sauté the zucchini and serve that with whatever the filling was supposed to be.

That's fair. It's also easier to add more garlic that way. I still think that zucchini boats look cool, and I like the cheese going on top, so I sometimes still make them. Shove the halved & hollowed zucchinis in the oven with plenty of salt, pepper and oil, make the filling, combine and put on lots of cheese. Back into the oven or grill, and that's it. I'm not saying that this is healthy food in any way or form though ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First day is going alright so far. I got snacky around 10:40 so I had some salami, cheese and olives and that helped. Shortly after I was feeling kind of headachy/groggy so I had a Gatorade Zero and that helped. Then we had lunch and I had an inner demon wanting sugary dessert goodness. So I just laid there grumbling and it eventually passed.

sugar GIF

I did some research about horse insurance and I found a company I might be able to work with. 

I have a riding lesson tonight and the horse is thoroughly loaded up with steroids so her allergies cough should be under control. I am hoping for a lesson where I have energy and a positive happy thoughts and the horse is on board with a nice, easy, relaxing lesson tonight. I feel she will likely be a fire breathing dragon of energy though 😅 I will need to make sure to stretch after this time so I don't get a neck/shoulder pinchy issue again. 

once upon a time dragon GIF by HULU

After riding I need to pick up some keys from my friends house so I can feed her kitties Thurs and Friday. I really hope I don't forget LOL 

Dinner will be Smothered Pork Chops over sautéed cabbage and cauliflower. This is probably the 1 recipe this week that I am most excited to eat. Recipe was lovingly shared to be by Jedi :D 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

32 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Following as always for horse shenanigans and paintings! I'm also planning to have some food goals this challenge - I might snag some of your high protein snack and meal ideas. 

Hungry Harry Potter GIF

I hope I can get some more updated riding videos soon ^_^ Oh gosh I hope I have some good ideas then! Right now I am excited for devilled eggs. 

1 minute ago, fearless 2.0 said:

hi, back and following! also love the keto recipe wisdom here! :) 

Hiya! :) I was actually going to bounce over to your thread for some keto ideas and inspo lol if you are still doing it that is 

• Like 2

Well I am happy to report Daisy was on her best behaviour and was such a good girl. I had a mini meltdown however because of the exercise my coach wanted me to do. You win some you lose some. Overall it was a good lesson. I am completely exhausted from my lesson. 

I felt full until my 9pm dinner which I consider a positive. My energy levels were good while riding and at the barn. Overall I’m feeling good; I feel full but not too full. I told my mom that we are doing keto and that she can give our Valentine’s Day treats to my sister if she wants them. Today I got bombarded with texts from my dad and mom at the same time with random keto products my dad likes to buy, a picture of the packaging + nutrition label and where he buys them from both 😂 they were both texting me at the same time without knowing the other was doing it. Too funny. My dads been doing keto off and on since Covid started… maybe a bit before. He just got back into being stricter with it himself. So that’s kind of cool ☺️ I remember giving him advice when he started 😂 now he’s giving me advice. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Today I got bombarded with texts from my dad and mom at the same time with random keto products my dad likes to buy, a picture of the packaging + nutrition label and where he buys them from both 😂 they were both texting me at the same time without knowing the other was doing it. Too funny. My dads been doing keto off and on since Covid started… maybe a bit before. He just got back into being stricter with it himself. So that’s kind of cool ☺️ I remember giving him advice when he started 😂 now he’s giving me advice. 

Aww, that's so sweet!

• Like 1

Day 2! Lets goooo 

Youcan Do It Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I did some reflecting on last nights lesson because I have such mixed feelings about it lol. I hate my anxiety with jumping but I do have to say it was a good lesson. I hate trot poles but this was the first time since my fall involving trot poles where I didn't freak out or even get worried about doing 3 in a row.  Success lol I definitely need to get back into doing the work for my brain training book. Especially since I have a feeling my coach is going to make me do that exercise for the next few lessons. So I will need to practice it on my own more. I am still really happy about how good Daisy was being. Especially since she's barely been ridden and the last 3 rides she's been strong. 

I had a good sleep and I actually woke up feeling somewhat alert. I started the day with some feta + gouda cheesey eggs and some turkey slices. I think I need more veggies because an hour after eating I start to feel a bit peckish. Though I am not sure if its my body trying to trick me into snacking / asking for carbs or if I am legit hungry. I don't think I am actually hungry right now but if it continues I might go get some pickles to appease the tummy overlords.

Today I hope to pop on the elliptical and see if I can get past 1 minute this time and to do some painting after work. I might work on the horse painting today. 

• Like 4