SakuraKitsune's 1st Challenge | 21/03/22 | Food Choices & Baby Barbell

This is my first ever challenge 😊 I've been thinking about it a lot since @Alanna mentioned the challenges to me as well as watching you guys finish off last month. 
Since starting Nerd Fitness year's ago I notice myself constantly slip on two basic Academy things; so, these are going to be the two that I am phrasing my challenges around for March with some bonus ones at the back!

1. "We don't have a cheat day"

giphy.gif

The Background
I have been using Cheat Meals as little carrots on sticks for me to get through my week. "Don't order that today and on Sunday you can have whatever you want." I get food cravings really bad.

Spoiler

I've had counselling for binging & purging in the past, but I recovered from the last part.

I had decided that bodybuilders have cheat days, and that I deserve them too as a reward. What actually happened links into my second goal: I'd go over the top because it was my deserved meal and that one rewarding meal turned into a very unhealthy massive binge fest, then two meals, then even if I felt overfull and sick- three meals, then the next day...

The Research
"But if The Rock has legendary cheat days, isn't that just part of being a Warrior-in-training?" I asked myself. I researched this goal before starting because: hey! Maybe NF was wrong? 

The first article I read backed up NF:

"The cheat meal philosophy also emphasizes rewards (“good”) and punishments (“bad”) around diet and exercise. This leads us to shift our focus to healthy foods as being undesirable and the cheat meals being a reward. This focus will not support long-term health or lifestyle changes... Say it again to yourself, “diet consistency.” ... In conclusion, there is no scientific evidence to support eating cheat meals for weight loss."

Welp.

Then why do bodybuilders do it so famously? Here was another reason:

“Weekly cheat meals that are higher in calories and carbohydrates can help raise leptin levels and lower ghrelin,” Lana says. When your hormones return to normal, they can help reverse or even prevent any negative effects on metabolism, hunger drive, and energy expenditure. What’s more, she adds, the increased calories may also help to increase thyroid function, further boosting metabolism; so a scheduled cheat meal may actually help optimize your body’s hormones to avoid weight loss plateaus and prevent chronic metabolism depression.”

The article, however, then continued on discussing how to schedule cheat meals properly in ways that were still beneficial with nutrients- not the fatty, chocolatey order-in I was slamming down my gullet. 

Got it so- "healthy" cheat meals only, right? But as I realised this I felt sad that I wouldn't get some of my favourite meals anymore. Sure, I went way too over the top every time- but not even getting just one meal occasionally seemed depressing. It was a countdown until I broke this rule; I knew it.

I wondered if maybe I was misunderstanding the Nerd Fitness philosophy and went back and re-read the original article. It's not very long. It says:

"We make a conscious decision to occasionally eat bad foods, but it's not a bad thing nor are you doing anything wrong."

Oh... I totally missed the point.... this is a food psychology thing... Oh WAIT! Hasn't this whole post been me feeling guilty about deciding to have cheat meals?!
Ah... now I understand. 

The Goal: Choices not 'Cheat Meals'.

Consistency is key. This is the biggest thing I have learned over the last few years while losing weight (I have already lost 20kg) and is what is tied into this goal so much. Choosing to have, not a "cheat meal", but an enjoyable meal consciously in a way that isn't a reward, my addictions choosing for me, or hindering my goals. Rules are meant to be broken (really I'm a Rogue at heart, but I need a Warrior's heart right now) so I won't restrict myself- I will instead choose what I really want. Sometimes that will be wanting an special foodie experience (not a throw away unconsciously binging episode) and most of the time it will be wanting to be healthy and fit. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

2. "We never miss two in a row"

food-fight-argue.gif

The Background
It's pretty obvious how this one ties into my last goal. Upon addressing my mindset around not having 'cheat meals' but 'choices', but the next step is making sure my 'choice' doesn't turn into a rampaging stuff fest as my addictions take hold. Let's call it my Barbarian Rage >:0 (... against myself.)

The Research
Straight from the NF-Horse's mouth:

"We never have two bad meals in a row. If we have a bad day, the next day is the more important day, and our next meal is the most important meal of our lives. Every little bit counts. If you had a bad breakfast, it doesn’t mean the day is ruined and you can slack for the rest of the day. It means you had one bad meal, and you can still have two good ones."

I'm aware that trying to stop a Barbarian Rage against the user's will is a very difficult throw. The biggest problem being: I'm the user and it's not usually my will! Consistency was the key for the last goal; here I am learning mental discipline. This is something reoccurring on my Warrior path: the discipline to train, to plan, to eat well, to break through mental barriers. I have even been using the Warrior mindset and hyping myself up to do things- RAWR >:0 I have already started some work on mentally trying to overcome myself when in these mindsets, but it's going to take more practice. The biggest learnings for me so far have been:

• Being aware of up coming triggers and planning for them;
  • When I realise I have been triggered to force myself to sit and journal or meditate through the thought process before doing anything;
  • To ask myself: is this really what you want? (Focusing on goals)
  • Telling my accountability buddy if I'm struggling (this one is the hardest to make myself do)

I win some, I lose some, but I'm going to keep trying >:0

The Goal: Never two in a row
It's that simple. I make an enjoyable choice for one meal, I don't have another after. I slip up accidentally, it doesn't continue. This is the other choice: the choice to stop. 

Bonus: NF Quests for the Month

Dumbbell+Nan+Kilo+Moteru+-+Episode+1+-+A

Rebel Quests

☑ Complete a 4 Week Challenge (Obviously these are 5 week challenges now, but that's how it's originally written.)

☑ Get an A on your 4 Week Challenge (Gotta try hard!)

Warrior Quests

I'm still adapting to being a Warrior. As I mentioned before, at heart I'm more of an Assassin/Druid. But currently, the Warrior path is best for my body. I'm still working to the body type that can be an Assassin and I found I wasn't doing enough movement as a Druid. So Warrior apprentice it is! RAWR >:0 (I have no idea what I'm doing o.o) But I know I love lifting! I need to learn more though. When I stare at the Warrior quests I'm like '... what the... how am I supposed to do all this stuff?' Well, I have a barbell so I figure I can start there. Some of the barbell moves I have already done back with my PT- but I think I'll do a few again from scratch and learn the barbell basics this month. I can already bench press, clean, squat and overhead press the barbell fine. The rest of these I will need to look up instructional videos.

☑ Clean and Jerk the barbell- I have done this before ages ago, but time to practice.

☑ Push Jerk the barbell

☑ Push Press the barbell

☑  Snatch the barbell 

☑  Split Jerk the barbell

And finally, I think I definitely need to:
☑  Read a book on basic weight training (Recommendations very welcome! I'm following the NF weight program, so things that work with this would be great. Maybe female specific? A fun, inspiring read would be good... can I watch an anime instead?! I just found Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? :0 )

• Like 6

⭐2022 Challenges: Apr 22, May 22, June 22

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

2 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:
  Hide contents

And finally, I think I definitely need to:
☑  Read a book on basic weight training (Recommendations very welcome! I'm following the NF weight program, so things that work with this would be great. Maybe female specific? A fun, inspiring read would be good... can I watch an anime instead?! I just found Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? :0 )

The Glute Lab by Bret Contreras.  (His videos are great too and he is definitely  female centric). There is a ton of stuff and a bunch of it glute oriented; however, he does cover not just the basics but in depth weight training. It reads much like a text book. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Avery the Patient said:

The Glute Lab by Bret Contreras.  (His videos are great too and he is definitely  female centric). There is a ton of stuff and a bunch of it glute oriented; however, he does cover not just the basics but in depth weight training. It reads much like a text book. 

Oo thank you! I’m looking it up now! Oof damn bro, that’s expensive on my end O.O Will have to save up!

21 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As someone who is also healing a relationship with food, I am here for support. 

💜 thank you and me to as you then ^.^

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

I could of written part of that post! 😮 I am also here for support. 

When I did my whole weight lifting thing I really enjoyed "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". You could probably find a copy at the library or a used book store maybe. Its OLD lol I have had my copy for 10 years I feel. 

The beginning chapters cover things like misconceptions women have about working out / lifting heavy. It has a chapter on food with some recipes and a meal plan idea. But you can technically skip all that and get to the good part which is the workout plans. Theres 7 stages. Stages 1-6 have 2 routines you do (workout A and workout B). You alternate between them every workout. Stage 7 has 7 workouts. I don't know if I ever got off Stage 1 but I did it for a couple months. The book explains every exercise it recommends with pictures and a text blurb and it gives alternatives you can do. I found that handy.  I had a print out (which I feel like there was a link for it in the book) where I could write my exercises down and track my sets, reps, weights. So that was cool! :) I eventually want to get back to it. Or something like StrongLifts 5x5 because I like simplicity and short workouts haha 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

13 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I could of written part of that post! 😮 I am also here for support. 

When I did my whole weight lifting thing I really enjoyed "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". You could probably find a copy at the library or a used book store maybe. Its OLD lol I have had my copy for 10 years I feel. 

The beginning chapters cover things like misconceptions women have about working out / lifting heavy. It has a chapter on food with some recipes and a meal plan idea. But you can technically skip all that and get to the good part which is the workout plans. Theres 7 stages. Stages 1-6 have 2 routines you do (workout A and workout B). You alternate between them every workout. Stage 7 has 7 workouts. I don't know if I ever got off Stage 1 but I did it for a couple months. The book explains every exercise it recommends with pictures and a text blurb and it gives alternatives you can do. I found that handy.  I had a print out (which I feel like there was a link for it in the book) where I could write my exercises down and track my sets, reps, weights. So that was cool! :) I eventually want to get back to it. Or something like StrongLifts 5x5 because I like simplicity and short workouts haha 

Oh the New Rules book looks good and is affordable! I like how in the blurb it mentions she has a good sense of humour! I’ve been right into the NF workout plans at the moment, but I do worry about getting stuck on my current level due to my inability to push up or pull up properly yet and getting bored so maybe trying something from this for next month could be good to stop me from going nuts with the same thing over and over- it would at least be interesting to see how it’s different.

I have a bunch of ripped male friends and I’m always like >:0 I’ll match you, let’s go!!! It’s a joke, of course; we all know it- there’s no way I can. But they find it cute and encourage me. We’ve always chatted about how guys can build muscle 4x faster and how disheartening that can be sometimes as I always watch guys quickly overtake me. I know so much about male bodybuilding because that information is more freely available but I always wonder if I’m missing something…

I’ve got the book in my trolley!

image.gif.707cc2750b487816ebd36852ea24019e.gif

• That's Metal 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Welcome!  Love your thought process!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Love how you have thought through everything! With food, I am trying to work on some of the same mindset you are working on.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

PROGRESS UPDATE:  Warrior Quest- Read a book on basic weight training
I have bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women! Thanks @Rookie! Now to wait for it to arrive!

3b1478f57dcda19644c76afa1083bb12.gif

I hope you like it! :) I am thinking of building up my home gym and getting back into it because honestly I didn't mind it. 

For squats though make sure you have a spotter or some safety thing in place..... I got stuck under a squat once while alone LOL. It was scary. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you decided to join in for this challenge! I also like the thought you've put into your challenge goals.

9 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

As I mentioned before, at heart I'm more of an Assassin/Druid.

I've been branching out towards more Assassin types of fitness recently, myself! What kinds of Assassin-y things would you like to work on in the future? :) 

Read a book on basic weight training (Recommendations very welcome! I'm following the NF weight program, so things that work with this would be great. Maybe female specific?

Not a book, but some of the inspiring fitness coaches that I follow with advice geared towards women are 

Molly Galbraith (and her company Girls Gone Strong)

Meg Squats

Steph Gaudreau

I think they all have paid programmes, but I've just used their free resources. In case it helps with your food goals, a lot of them also provide support/advice for overcoming disordered eating - for example, this post from Molly Galbraith may resonate with you: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/articles/new-diet/

I can already bench press, clean, squat and overhead press the barbell fine. The rest of these I will need to look up instructional videos.

☑ Clean and Jerk the barbell- I have done this before ages ago, but time to practice.

☑ Push Jerk the barbell

☑ Push Press the barbell

☑  Snatch the barbell 

☑  Split Jerk the barbell

I would recommend adding deadlifts to that list unless you have a particular reason for avoiding them - deadlifts are awesome!

jimmy fallon gym GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

For learning all about strength training - this isn't the most straightforward beginner's guide, but it is very comprehensive, evidence based, and free! I recommend checking out Stronger By Science's Complete Strength Training Guide https://www.strongerbyscience.com/complete-strength-training-guide/

Their website also has lots of other great (shorter) articles and they also have a weekly podcast. Even if this guide ^^^ is overwhelming at first, bookmark it and come back to it later on I guarantee there will be helpful tidbits  you will glean a bit more each time you go back through it.

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

17 hours ago, Alanna said:

I would recommend adding deadlifts to that list unless you have a particular reason for avoiding them - deadlifts are awesome!

I love deadlifts! I figured that out from the book I mentioned earlier. Such a great exercise and honestly they make me feel so strong haha

Abc Roaring GIF by The Bachelor

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Welcome!  Love your thought process!!

Thank you so much! 😊

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Love how you have thought through everything! With food, I am trying to work on some of the same mindset you are working on.

Also thank you so much 😊 Cool that you're working on the same thing- go us, we can do it!

19 hours ago, Rookie said:

I hope you like it! :) I am thinking of building up my home gym and getting back into it because honestly I didn't mind it. 

For squats though make sure you have a spotter or some safety thing in place..... I got stuck under a squat once while alone LOL. It was scary. 

I have been loving slowly building up my home gym over the years- I get super excited about new equipment. I wish I had more space!
Oh dear re: stuck squat 😂 Yeah, I tend to have some around; but to be honest, my squats probably aren't as low as they should be if that was an issue!

19 hours ago, Alanna said:

I'm glad you decided to join in for this challenge! I also like the thought you've put into your challenge goals.

I've been branching out towards more Assassin types of fitness recently, myself! What kinds of Assassin-y things would you like to work on in the future? :) 

Not a book, but some of the inspiring fitness coaches that I follow with advice geared towards women are 

Molly Galbraith (and her company Girls Gone Strong)

Meg Squats

Steph Gaudreau

think they all have paid programmes, but I've just used their free resources. In case it helps with your food goals, a lot of them also provide support/advice for overcoming disordered eating - for example, this post from Molly Galbraith may resonate with you: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/articles/new-diet/

Thank you as well! 😊 
Re: Assassin goals: oh my so many, I'm just not the right body type yet I feel. I'd love to be able to do a handstand but last time I tried my arms buckled and it didn't end well so I'm little nervous and want to lose more weight before I try again 😅  Same with wlaking on my hands. I probably could do the backwards and forwards roll, it's just been a while. Parkour would be so cool! But I really feel like I can't. I suppose age might be a thing as well being 37 on Saturday but I've always said I'm gonna Peter Pan the hell out of this life and I don't feel like it will hold me back too much. One day maybe I'll find a class and nervously try.  (I've wanted to learning longboarding too- I even bought a board and did a little bit on it!) All the dancing stuff is already done- I was a dancer for years doing many different style and I still have the flexibility. I wonder if I could climb a rope since I used to do pole dancing- never thought about it. I don't know if I can still do a one handed cartwheel! Anyway, I could go on. All of it!!
Thanks for for the recommendations! I'm going to slowly look through them all for inspiration!
I'm doing deadlifts at the moment and I love them so much! They're part of the NF Gym Level I'm on at the moment :) 

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

13 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

For learning all about strength training - this isn't the most straightforward beginner's guide, but it is very comprehensive, evidence based, and free! I recommend checking out Stronger By Science's Complete Strength Training Guide https://www.strongerbyscience.com/complete-strength-training-guide/ Their website also has lots of other great (shorter) articles and they also have a weekly podcast. Even if this guide ^^^ is overwhelming at first, bookmark it and come back to it later on I guarantee there will be helpful tidbits  you will glean a bit more each time you go back through it.

This is looks like an amazing site, thank you so much! I have kept it tabbed open to read whenever I get the chance! 🙏

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Back in the day, Stumptuous was the main women's lifting resource. No idea if it's still active.

I've found the site and will look through this too! I've noticed the 'woman's stuff' section :D 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I love deadlifts! I figured that out from the book I mentioned earlier. Such a great exercise and honestly they make me feel so strong haha

Abc Roaring GIF by The Bachelor

YEEEEESSS!
db266h5-c568d4f6-ecea-43bd-914f-cca8705d

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

5 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

Re: Assassin goals: oh my so many, I'm just not the right body type yet I feel. I'd love to be able to do a handstand but last time I tried my arms buckled and it didn't end well so I'm little nervous and want to lose more weight before I try again 😅  Same with wlaking on my hands. I probably could do the backwards and forwards roll, it's just been a while. Parkour would be so cool! But I really feel like I can't. I suppose age might be a thing as well being 37 on Saturday but I've always said I'm gonna Peter Pan the hell out of this life and I don't feel like it will hold me back too much. One day maybe I'll find a class and nervously try.  (I've wanted to learning longboarding too- I even bought a board and did a little bit on it!) All the dancing stuff is already done- I was a dancer for years doing many different style and I still have the flexibility. I wonder if I could climb a rope since I used to do pole dancing- never thought about it. I don't know if I can still do a one handed cartwheel! Anyway, I could go on. All of it!!

Those are a lot of fun skills and disciplines! There are a lot of Assassins on here working on the same or similar things if you want to start exploring them (or even just have fun experiencing them vicariously).

5 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I'm doing deadlifts at the moment and I love them so much! They're part of the NF Gym Level I'm on at the moment :) 

You will definitely fit in with the Warriors, then :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

Those are a lot of fun skills and disciplines! There are a lot of Assassins on here working on the same or similar things if you want to start exploring them (or even just have fun experiencing them vicariously).

I have to get confidence up a little first; I think weight loss and muscle gain will help that. It's my dream to enter the Assassins Guild one day, but I'll stay the Warrior's Apprentice for now 😊 (But maybe I will have a look at a few goals later after I've done my warrior ones for the month... could be fun...)

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

You will definitely fit in with the Warriors, then :D 

I suspect I'll be trotting around behind them trying to keep up 😂 But I oddly enjoy the feeling of trying to keep up with them: like I'm out of place, but I gain a lot from just trying. 

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

8 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I have to get confidence up a little first; I think weight loss and muscle gain will help that. It's my dream to enter the Assassins Guild one day, but I'll stay the Warrior's Apprentice for now 😊 (But maybe I will have a look at a few goals later after I've done my warrior ones for the month... could be fun...)

There is no reason that you cannot be a hybrid assassin warrior ;) Especially now since all the challenge threads are together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

There is no reason that you cannot be a hybrid assassin warrior ;) Especially now since all the challenge threads are together. 

As an assassin warrior myself, I'll second this! 

You definitely don't have to do anything you don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing! I also meant exploring in the sense of gathering underpants (https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/underpants-gnomes/ - but just to a productive extent!) and planning future goals. You might also find that you can do some prep work at your current level - e.g., for handstands, wrist/hand mobility and locomotion exercises so you get used to spending more time bearing weight on your hands (GMB's locomotion movements are popular on here: https://gmb.io/locomotion/ ). That said, I think your current challenge set up is great - this is more food for thought for longer plans and quests :). Re-evaluating at the end of your challenge and figuring out how you want to tackle your long term assassin goals a great idea! 

As far as being out of place - all of these guilds are more about goals and mindset than anything else, and I can say you would definitely belong in both Warriors and Assassins :). You don't have to be able to lift a certain amount or do a certain trick to gain entrance. We also have lots of people respawning and rebuilding after the pandemic, so I promise we're not all lithe muscular acrobats 😅 (and even if we were, we're only competing against the past versions of ourselves - not each other).

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 11:03 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The only entrance requirement to joining any of the guilds is to declare yourself a member of that guild. 🙂

True 😅 but I think Warrior will teach me a lot for the moment. I'm quite fascinated with all this stuff I have no idea about. But you're right.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, Rookie said:

Also true 🤔 You guys make too much sense. Maybe next 5 week challenge I look at some Assassin things.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

deadlift.jpg?w=640

Hahaha I love this!

On 3/24/2022 at 1:47 AM, Alanna said:

As an assassin warrior myself, I'll second this! 

You definitely don't have to do anything you don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing! I also meant exploring in the sense of gathering underpants (https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/underpants-gnomes/ - but just to a productive extent!) and planning future goals. You might also find that you can do some prep work at your current level - e.g., for handstands, wrist/hand mobility and locomotion exercises so you get used to spending more time bearing weight on your hands (GMB's locomotion movements are popular on here: https://gmb.io/locomotion/ ). That said, I think your current challenge set up is great - this is more food for thought for longer plans and quests :). Re-evaluating at the end of your challenge and figuring out how you want to tackle your long term assassin goals a great idea! 

As far as being out of place - all of these guilds are more about goals and mindset than anything else, and I can say you would definitely belong in both Warriors and Assassins :). You don't have to be able to lift a certain amount or do a certain trick to gain entrance. We also have lots of people respawning and rebuilding after the pandemic, so I promise we're not all lithe muscular acrobats 😅 (and even if we were, we're only competing against the past versions of ourselves - not each other).

This was inspiring to read, thank you. I am a terrible perfectionist. It's hard for me to balance this and not doing too much. Yes, I think this challenge I'll try do a bunch of Warrior stuff and next challenge I'll try do some Assassin stuff to give it a go! :) 

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★