Salinger's forty eighth challenge!

Hello.....WELCOME

Been a bit of a full on past challenge. I moved house (again) into a smaller place, in a different city/town. Im further away from my mates which is making me feel a teeny bit sad...even though its a 30 min drive/train journey so nothing majorly bad. Just feels like spontaneous nights out have disappeared!

Due to moving and all the madness that goes with that, exercise is still not happening. However, I did purchase a second hand squat rack with bench and weights. ... I need to put it together (in the garage) and start to USE it!!

Its so cold though and that has been putting me off. But time to bite the bullet and get on with it...

Food is ok but definitely could be better. Need to stop with the takeouts ....

Goals:

- Weights workout 3 times a week 

- Go for a walk/hike 2 times during the challenge

- Think about what I am eating, is is nutritional? Eat more greens. Track?

- Submit funding application

- Start essay for Masters - Get reading done!

I am unsure about tracking...it can make me obsessed and not be great for my mental health. Need to think about this more...any advice??

Lets do this...x

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Hey all. 1pm here, i am FREEZING. Will wait another 45 mins then have to put the heating on!

Had a great meeting this morning about my toolkit. Just working through emails now. 

Need something for lunch in a bit...

I have my work list/diary and i am on hold at the moment to the council to set up council tax payments ugh....

Roxys friend is coming over at 3pm and so we will chill out until Rox gets home at 5.15pm.... then they are going to a gig together. I might go but prob wont :P 

Just a chilled one tonight, will likey have some drinks when they get home from the gig :) be nice. Her mate is from London so we dont see her much, i get on with her SO WELL - we have such a good laugh when we meet up!

Tomorrow is V busy. And we need to go to the old house in the evening, to sort the kitchen out. I also need to go to the tip ... cleaner comes Thursday and we hand in the keys :o 

Then it is ALL DONE, thank god. 

Anyway.... better get back to work xx

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Salinger said:

I am unsure about tracking...it can make me obsessed and not be great for my mental health. Need to think about this more...any advice??

It sounds like tracking isn't a great tool for you. What I have done previously in the past which seemed to work for me a bit without having to track was to make some food rules. Some examples you could use are below

- 1 take out meal a week

- every meal must have at least 1 veggie serving

- 1 serving of carb allowed with each meal (ie. 2 toast, 1 medium potato, 1 cup pasta etc)

Just little stuff like that. It helped me be more mindful about what I was eating but seemed more positive than traditional tracking per say.

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

20 minutes ago, Rookie said:

It sounds like tracking isn't a great tool for you. What I have done previously in the past which seemed to work for me a bit without having to track was to make some food rules. Some examples you could use are below

- 1 take out meal a week

- every meal must have at least 1 veggie serving

- 1 serving of carb allowed with each meal (ie. 2 toast, 1 medium potato, 1 cup pasta etc)

Just little stuff like that. It helped me be more mindful about what I was eating but seemed more positive than traditional tracking per say.

Thank you Rookie!! This is a good idea....will incorporate into my goals ❤️ xx

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Salinger said:

I did purchase a second hand squat rack with bench and weights. ... I need to put it together (in the garage) and start to USE it!!

Oh girl, I'mma be all over your ass now that I know you have that shit at the house!  I do too!  We can be lifting buddies!!!!

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Need to stop with the takeouts ....

You and me both!!

You got this!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Here to cheer you as you kick some booty!

I am using a tracking-without-tracking tool too- the 5/4/3/2/1: 5 veggies, 4/week legumes, 3 whole grains, 2 fruit, 1 nuts/seeds. Getting that many veg is a stretch, but it makes me feel good when I get them in ^_^

Eee! Exciting about the home-gym! Make sure to warm up well if it’s cold in there, and think how much cosier inside will be to come back to.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

hi sister! back and following along! :) 

Yay :) xx

14 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Here to cheer you as you kick some booty!

I am using a tracking-without-tracking tool too- the 5/4/3/2/1: 5 veggies, 4/week legumes, 3 whole grains, 2 fruit, 1 nuts/seeds. Getting that many veg is a stretch, but it makes me feel good when I get them in ^_^

Eee! Exciting about the home-gym! Make sure to warm up well if it’s cold in there, and think how much cosier inside will be to come back to.

Good advice about warming up properly!!!Thanks xx

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Hey you! Have a great day today ❤️ 

Thank you Rookie ❤️ xx

Hey all. 1.30pm, not the best day in the world so far. Been exhausted due to a late night, eaten crap (maccies) and barely done any work. :( 

I think i am going to have a nap (45 mins) and then force myself to get on with what needs doing ....! Lots to do ugh. 

Going to the old house this eve too.... to clean! Really dont want to :( 

Also not got any hot water! So plumber is coming over at some point this afternoon....all i want is a hot bath and my bed haha xx

• Like 2

Hiiiii friend ❤️❤️

So jealous of your home barbells!! My gym has been so crowded lately and it really kills any kind of motivation I have.

Good luck cleaning the old place and with the hot water~

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

On 3/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, Salinger said:

- Think about what I am eating, is is nutritional? Eat more greens. Track?

Use heuristics that work for you! For example, you might want to build meals around 1 portion of protein rich food, 1 complex carb (if the protein source is not high carb), 1 or 2 vegetables, 1 source of added fats (like nuts, cheese, or avocado, if the protein source is not high in fat). Or you could use a different heuristic--whatever you like. For more details, here's an example of what I might do:

Spoiler

breakfast: 1 portion high protein dairy (200-250g) handful berries (about 50g), spoonful nut butter.

lunch: 1 piece meat, 1-2 handful salad, 2 tbsp hummus, half avocado, oil, lemon.
dinner: 100g cheese OR 200g tofu, 200-300g vegetables, 15-25g nuts or seeds, oil for cooking, herbs & spices

snacks: dark chocolate, tea, as much as I want.

I've adjusted it based on experience. For example I know that 125g of yoghurt is not enough, and that 100g of tofu is not enough, but 200g of cheese would be too much. I have counted before, and I know *very roughly* how much protein and calories I'm getting (about 100 and 2000).

You'll need to adjust what counts as a portion depending on how hungry you get, and obviously you may have different preferences like less meat, more carbs, whatever. Once you have some rough blueprints for your meals, you can identify something you could improve--you'll want to reduce highly processed items that are high in both refined carbs and added fats with low protein--and make a tasty swap that prioritises whole, relatively unprocessed foods that are naturally high in protein or fibre and micronutrients. Or if there's something you know makes you eat more than you intend, you could swap it for something tasty but not addictive. Like I swapped sweets for nut butters. Some people are addicted to nut butters though, so you must know yourself.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Hiiiii friend ❤️❤️

So jealous of your home barbells!! My gym has been so crowded lately and it really kills any kind of motivation I have.

Good luck cleaning the old place and with the hot water~

HEY MY LOVE!

Yes... i really really need to sort that out asap. I keep getting pangs of wanting to start as well as dread !!!

Thanks Shaar xx

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

You'll need to adjust what counts as a portion depending on how hungry you get, and obviously you may have different preferences like less meat, more carbs, whatever. Once you have some rough blueprints for your meals, you can identify something you could improve--you'll want to reduce highly processed items that are high in both refined carbs and added fats with low protein--and make a tasty swap that prioritises whole, relatively unprocessed foods that are naturally high in protein or fibre and micronutrients. Or if there's something you know makes you eat more than you intend, you could swap it for something tasty but not addictive. Like I swapped sweets for nut butters. Some people are addicted to nut butters though, so you must know yourself.

Thanks so much for this, great advice. 

I think i struggle a bit with total planning like that, because I cook for Roxy too.... will try harder though xx

2 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

sending strength for the shitjob of cleaning! :) 

Thanks FL... more below......xx

Hey all. 8.30pm. 

We decided not to go to the house tonight, because we are both SO exhausted and I will go in the morning and spend the day there....and go to the tip etc. Will be HARD work tomorrow but i will get a good night sleep and be ready. 

Im panicking a tiny bit but i am sure it will be alright. 

I really want to start working out and get fit and healthy. Having a lot of self hate about the way i look. 

Maybe ill have a bath and relax a bit and maybe read xx

• Like 2

Moving can be a workout and I think it’s sensible to square away the old house before starting your new weights program in case you get sooooooore.

Is the hot water back on at the new place? If not perhaps take a towel and use old place one last time.

Rest well ready to tackle it tomorrow and tick it off your to do list for good!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Thanks so much for this, great advice. 

I think i struggle a bit with total planning like that, because I cook for Roxy too.... will try harder though xx

You're welcome. Since planning a whole eating plan is a lot, maybe you could just start with breakfast. You don't have to do this if it's too stressful, but here's an idea of how you might go about it: you pick two sorts of meals you'd like to have often for breakfast, each with a source of protein and some veg or fruit, say for example scrambled eggs with avocado, and oatmeal with fruits and nuts. You make the meals a few times over the next few days, and get a feel for how much makes you feel full and satisfied, but not stuffed, and what ingredients you need to add for it to be tasty enough to enjoy without prompting overeating.

Optional second step: After you've made it a few times you enter the meals into myfitnesspal or cronometer to see how many calories/how much protein, just to check that it's enough protein and that it's *very roughly* an appropriate calorie range. If it's way too much or way too little, or if there's not enough protein*, you make small swaps until you have a couple of standard meals you're happy with. Then you eat those couple of meals indefinitely, and don't worry about small variations like how big the orange is or if you had strawberries instead or whether the spoon of peanut butter was a little larger this morning.

*There's never as much protein as you think.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Great idea @Harriet and in fact - I don’t make breakfast or lunch for Roxy too because she’s at work

so I can work on my breakfasts and lunches

thinking of scrambled eggs for brekkie or fruit and Greek yogurt

and tuna salad or chicken salads for lunch!!

this would give me a great step up in terms of eating correctly because lunch is bad at the mo, take out or nothing or sandwich with no veggies / salads

so yes, thank you!!! Will focus on this for now 

xx

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Moving can be a workout and I think it’s sensible to square away the old house before starting your new weights program in case you get sooooooore.

Is the hot water back on at the new place? If not perhaps take a towel and use old place one last time.

Rest well ready to tackle it tomorrow and tick it off your to do list for good!

yes good point about the DOMS :o imagine I couldn’t move things hhaha

tmoro Will be a workout anyway, up and down stairs, lifting bags and boxes and to and from the tip etc I’ll be sore anyway after Tmoro haha

hot water is fixed wooooo just had a wonderful hot shower and now lazing on my bed - Rox is on the PlayStation and I’m giving her some space for this eve 💙

I’ll prob read in bed :) xx

• Like 2

Morning all....

Dreading today tbh. Going to the old house to clean :( damn ... I need to also go to the tip, and will likely need a couple of trips ....

I envisage being there a good few hours. 

Ah well. Got to be done. Tomorrow eve we hand in the keys !! And all be over.... then i can focus on work again and exercise and diet etc

Its going to be a nice day today weather wise, at least. Sunny!!!

Roxy has a meet up with friends this eve after work, so i will likely come home, maybe have a bath, chill out, eat something, read a bit and go to bed !

So much actual work to do but i just have to put it on hold for a couple of days :( will need to work at the weekend instead. oh well. 

Will do diary for next 7 days...will help me visualise what needs doing! xx

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Good idea on the journal. I find I always miss things if I try to rely too much on my memory ;) putting them into a list helps.

I hope your cleaning and packing went alright and that you are close to being done. At least its sunny so you can have some of the windows and doors open to air the place out. I much prefer cleaning and organizing when the weather is nice. It gives me a little extra energy. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

3 hours ago, Rookie said:

Good idea on the journal. I find I always miss things if I try to rely too much on my memory ;) putting them into a list helps.

I hope your cleaning and packing went alright and that you are close to being done. At least its sunny so you can have some of the windows and doors open to air the place out. I much prefer cleaning and organizing when the weather is nice. It gives me a little extra energy. 

Hey Rookie.... Yes, did my diary and its packed but its all down on paper for me to cross off :)

AM

SWEATING 

hahhaahah

Hey all ..... 4.15pm, home. With a glass of icy water. Listening to Eminem records....

Damn what a long tiring afternoon. 

Got to the house around 11.30/12...felt there was so much to do. Starting bagging things up, most things in there we didnt want and werent in good condition to take to charity shops etc so i did two trips to the tip, one with bits of crap and one with rubbish (outdoor bins full)

I actually adore the tip.... i could live there i like it that much hahahaha 😂 

Grabbed a shop sandwich and lucozade, sat in the car and wolfed it down, then finished upstairs (we forgot the cupboard upstairs so that needed clearing out and some left stuff in bathroom) 

its pretty much an empty shell now, ready for CLEANING. 

I forgot the mop so will go tomorrow around midday. Cleaner is coming at 3pm, to shampoo the carpets, and clean fridge and oven/kitchen

I will sweep, hoover, mop the floors downstairs. 

I feel pretty good tbh, i did a really good job today, i worked hard. Lots of lifting, up and down stairs, so i was sweating a lot (it was 22C today as well :o ) nice and sunny, im about to sit in the garden with a cup of tea....

Roxy is home in an hour, but going to a gig at 6.30pm :( but ill just chill out, maybe watch a match on TV, do some work, eat some salad and the last of the homemade quiche...shower and early night. 

Tomorrow is the last day of this work stuff at the old house, get it spic and span, hand in the keys then FREEDOM :)

xx

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Salinger said:

I feel pretty good tbh, i did a really good job today, i worked hard. Lots of lifting, up and down stairs, so i was sweating a lot (it was 22C today as well :o ) nice and sunny, im about to sit in the garden with a cup of tea....

That sounds like a lot of work! You did most impressively. Get some good sleep tonight!

• Like 1

Cleaning house is so hard, I remember when we moved in November it was an absolute exhausting nightmare and really seems to take 20 steps to just empty out one room, so I FEEL YOU on that exhaustion....

Proud of you tho!!!!! As alwayssssss ❤️❤️ 

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."