Elastigirl and the Fountain of Youth: The story continues

The hot, muggy air makes it hard for me to continue trekking through the jungle. Brushing aside the tall brush, I continue my trek toward the faint glimmer of water I see far off. Concerned about alligators, I keep a wary eye out. As I get closer, I can see the water. What I was hoping was a river is really only a swamp. Edging closer to the edge, I  look around, trying to spot the spring. For centuries, there have been rumors that hidden in this jungle is the mystical fountain of youth. From it's water spring forth water said to give youth and vitality to all who drink from it. But all I see is murky water.  I squat at the edge of the swamp, silent, listening to see if I hear anything. I tilt my head, is that the sound of water bubbling? Following the sound, I walk  away from the swamp.  I  find a small spring with water bubbling up Could this be the spring? It sure doesn't look like much.  Taking the glass container out of my backpack, I fill it up with the water. I take a sip of the water. It tastes good, refreshing my parched throat. Then I wait. Do I feel different? Nope.  Perhaps the fountain was just a legend.

I don't know when exactly it happened. It wasn't all at once. Just sort of gradual. It seemed that day by day I was feeling more energetic. Able to get more done. I enjoyed going for walks, and working in the garden. Little by little, I felt I was getting stronger. First I could do one pull up, and then another. I  enjoyed using my muscles, and seeing what I could accomplish. I was more limber. I could squat, or sit on the ground when I wanted.  I enjoyed eating healthy foods. Could it be that it really wasn't a legend after all? Maybe there was a Fountain of Youth and I had discovered it?

Challenge goals:

Food:

Track on MFP- even if I am not going to make my daily goal

Hit calorie goal

Strength-

keep working on NF bodyweight 3 times a week

Cardio

3 x a week rowing zone 2, or maybe walk, running as the weather improves

walking. trying for most days 10,,000 (yes,I know most is very non specific, I'm just using my judgement here, if I have time and the weather isn't awful ,walk, if  it doesn't happen, no guilt) 

spring- running or rowing, about once a week, but it may be only once every other week

Flexibility

Floor Loco  or Mobility with GMB

I'm also trying to do a lot of yardwork, so no real goal for amount of days, just use wisdom  and try and get some in as time allows

Life_

Daily quest list- goal is to get 80% done

Weekly quest list-  I have so many things  I want to get done this spring. A few big yard working projects. I need to decorate my guest bedroom. And scrapbook. Plus, just normal life stuff.  Hopefully a weekly quest list will help me focus and conquer!

• Like 13

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

A very balanced challenge! Also I want find out if you have truly discovered the fountain.

ketchup fountain GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 3/25/2022 at 4:28 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. family guy pond GIF

Bom Dia Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

A very balanced challenge! Also I want find out if you have truly discovered the fountain.

ketchup fountain GIF

Thanks, and of course I have!

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day one of the challenge!

I ended this challenge at the same weight as last challenge, which was a bit frustrating. Granted, there was a vacation at the beginning, in which I gained weight, but  I had four weeks, and was hoping to be down at least a pound. I have gained strength, so there is good things happening. I think I'm doing fairly well. I don't need to make major changes. Just  tweaks some things.

Here is what I going to work on:

Track the extra snack foods I eat. My habit is to carefully weigh out my chocolate chips. But, then as I put them away I will grab "just a few more" and the same with other snacky foods. I will try and delay eating any extra for 5 minutes. If I still want it, I will measure it out and record the amount.

Weekends:

It's not easy to track restaurant meals, or eating at other's homes. I will try and leave a calorie budget for dinner by eating lighter. We have a weekly date night. I'm going to  try the dial at about a 6 for that. Not go all out and eat whatever I want, but not just have chicken and broccoli either. This Friday I had a salmon salad with avocado and bacon that was delicious.  I have two meals this challenge that are celebration meals, and that I will eat whatever I want.

I tried on some shorts that used to fit me, but were too tight in February. They actually fit better, but are still a little snug,  I'll try them on at the end of the challenge, as another way to see if I am losing fat.

• Like 3

Why is it so easy to put on weight and so hard to lose it? :( I've found this particularly the longer I've been working on it too which is definitely frustrating. Also I totally relate to your choc chip habit... (possibly why it's so hard to lose weight haha)

Restaurants and non-home meals - I wish there was a tracker you could have in your stomach that tracked cals (and an accurate way of actually monitoring calories burned!)

Clothing fittings is definitely a good way to gauge - which reminds me I should do some body measurements again!

• Like 3

Level 24 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

Hey El-girl!  That's short for your full name by the way. ;)

Love the approach here.   The general goals, but the room for wisdom.  It dawned on me as I read it, that man, Yes, Wisdom should always trump perfection.

Following along for more tidbits of wisdom gems!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

5 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Why is it so easy to put on weight and so hard to lose it?

Because the people for whom the opposite was true tended not to live long enough to pass on genetic materiel when we were hunter-gatherers and had to endure feast-or-famine conditions. It's not the easiest thing to live with when we are faced with an abundance of over-processed food, but it's good for the species if the fecal matter ever hits the air-distribution-device.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I tried on some shorts that used to fit me, but were too tight in February. They actually fit better,

Yea for NSV!

• Like 2

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Because the people for whom the opposite was true tended not to live long enough to pass on genetic materiel when we were hunter-gatherers and had to endure feast-or-famine conditions. It's not the easiest thing to live with when we are faced with an abundance of over-processed food, but it's good for the species if the fecal matter ever hits the air-distribution-device.

Yes! We're just made this way.  However its good insight to realize whats going on.  It really is not a personal failure whatsoever to gain weight over time (unless you're trying to lose), the people that don't are the weird ones.  Dieting every now and then just has to be part of the plan, to push back on this tendency.

• Like 2

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

11 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Why is it so easy to put on weight and so hard to lose it? :( I've found this particularly the longer I've been working on it too which is definitely frustrating. Also I totally relate to your choc chip habit... (possibly why it's so hard to lose weight haha)

Restaurants and non-home meals - I wish there was a tracker you could have in your stomach that tracked cals (and an accurate way of actually monitoring calories burned!)

Clothing fittings is definitely a good way to gauge - which reminds me I should do some body measurements again!

Yeah, even when tracking calories it's hard. I'm trying to get better at also just paying attention to satiety.  Once a week, I measure , it's another good way to track.

8 hours ago, starpuck said:

Hey El-girl!  That's short for your full name by the way. ;)

Love the approach here.   The general goals, but the room for wisdom.  It dawned on me as I read it, that man, Yes, Wisdom should always trump perfection.

Following along for more tidbits of wisdom gems!

I like it! Wisdom trumps perfection always.

5 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Yea for NSV!

Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Yes! We're just made this way.  However its good insight to realize whats going on.  It really is not a personal failure whatsoever to gain weight over time (unless you're trying to lose), the people that don't are the weird ones.  Dieting every now and then just has to be part of the plan, to push back on this tendency.

I remember you saying this a few years ago. At the time, I was not sure if I agreed or not. I was still hoping to find that magic balance of maintaining.  But now with all the blessings we have to keep food year round, we don't have a natural cycle of lean and another of abundance.  Just realizing this, and that it wasn't a failure, really helped my mindset. 

• Like 1

Did super on my morning today. Started off with a row, then breakfast and Bible. Then my workout, then cleaned the kitchen. Helped that I had a time limit. A friend came over for lunch. She is the wife of my son's best friend. I  gave her a baby shower last year. She brought her adorable baby girl over, so I could see her. It's been a few months. It's amazing how quickly they grow. I made lunch. I actually followed a recipe for a salad. I  usually just do a regular salad, and then add protein. This was a  cabbage salad. I've had it  at potlucks before. It usually has ramen noodles in it, but this was the paleo version. Cabbage slaw, sliced almonds, sliced chicken, red peppers, onion, and a Tamari sauce for the salad.

Went on a walk, then did another walk in the evening.

Guestimated on calories. I just mixed the dressing in, and the chicken. But I know how much I used, so my guess was probably accurate-ish.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

we don't have a natural cycle of lean and another of abundance. 

And it is a LOT easier to acquire a calorie or 3,000 than it was pre-Industrial Revolution.  

• Like 3

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

On 3/28/2022 at 9:20 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Ok this is a sensible answer that makes me feel better :)

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Did super on my morning today. Started off with a row, then breakfast and Bible. Then my workout, then cleaned the kitchen. Helped that I had a time limit. A friend came over for lunch. She is the wife of my son's best friend. I  gave her a baby shower last year. She brought her adorable baby girl over, so I could see her. It's been a few months. It's amazing how quickly they grow. I made lunch. I actually followed a recipe for a salad. I  usually just do a regular salad, and then add protein. This was a  cabbage salad. I've had it  at potlucks before. It usually has ramen noodles in it, but this was the paleo version. Cabbage slaw, sliced almonds, sliced chicken, red peppers, onion, and a Tamari sauce for the salad.

Went on a walk, then did another walk in the evening.

Guestimated on calories. I just mixed the dressing in, and the chicken. But I know how much I used, so my guess was probably accurate-ish.

Sounds like a nicely productive day! My friend had a baby in September and yeah, it's crazy how much more a 'person' she is already.

• Like 2

Level 24 Rogue Ranger

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

15 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

And it is a LOT easier to acquire a calorie or 3,000 than it was pre-Industrial Revolution.  

And most of the food is right there in your fridge or cupboard, ready to eat right away. All blessings of this last century, that we now how to learn to navigate wisely.

6 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Ok this is a sensible answer that makes me feel better :)

Sounds like a nicely productive day! My friend had a baby in September and yeah, it's crazy how much more a 'person' she is already.

Thanks, yes, it is fun to see babies start to develop their own little personalities. It will be fun to see how this little girl turns out. Her mom is an outgoing extrovert, and her dad is an introvert.

• Like 2

Went on a walk with my friend today. It's about a  mile to the park, and then we walk about a half mile, and a walk back. She has a bad back, and it hurts her to walk, but she is trying to move more.  I love having a walking buddy, and getting the chance to know her a bit better.

One of my mini goals was to not just nibble on food. If I wanted "a little more" after I was finished, I needed to wait 5 minutes, then if I still wanted the food, I needed to track it. I had no idea how often I was doing this! Making myself stop before I put "just a little of this" in my mouth, I realized how often I was grazing. Most of the time, I  haven't really wanted the food. If I go do something for 5 minutes, I usually just forget about it.

Did a little yard work today. My rosemary bush had lots of dead branches, so I cut them off. I wanted to do more yardwork, but my  allergies were driving me crazy, so I stopped.

Also did Floor Loco today. The first flow was  360 monkey followed by a move called around the world (squat, touch your hand back and then forward) That went well. I had fun doing the 360 monkey. The second flow was longer, and I really struggled It was

Spiderman-leg turnover-sideroll-leg sweep- monkey 360-around the world. I had totally forgotten how to do the side roll. Watched the demo, but I'm not sure it's possible for my body to move that way😉 Then I got so flustered with that, I forgot how to do even the moves I knew! Finally just adapted the side roll to something I could do , and the flow went better. 

Tomorrow is my boss battle. True confession: I peeked at what the boss battle is going to be ;Negative pistols-got that ; chin ups: got that pike push up - doubtful. I've been doing feet elevated push ups, but not that elevated. If I don't pass this time, I will work on pike pushups and pass it the second time. I don't go as low in the pistol as the demo, but I have decided, that for me, it is good enough, I do need to video myself to see how low and what my form looks like

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

hey, made it to your thread at last! ;) 

I really like the story you wrote in the beginning of your challenge and the feeling you describe with the strength and mobility coming back: thats my goal too! love it!

am impressed with you doing GMB, those moves are WOW! 

good luck with the boss battle! you are doing really well! :) 

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Tomorrow is my boss battle.

Cheering you on!!

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

One of my mini goals was to not just nibble on food. If I wanted "a little more" after I was finished, I needed to wait 5 minutes, then if I still wanted the food, I needed to track it. I had no idea how often I was doing this! Making myself stop before I put "just a little of this" in my mouth, I realized how often I was grazing. Most of the time, I  haven't really wanted the food. If I go do something for 5 minutes, I usually just forget about it.

Good for you in putting this in the challenge (as it's obviously something you do without thinking/needing) - it's interesting how little awareness we have around our bad habits :D 

Also I feel like your floor loco stuff is a different language haha, but one I want to learn!

• Like 1

Level 24 Rogue Ranger

13 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Cheering you on!!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Good for you in putting this in the challenge (as it's obviously something you do without thinking/needing) - it's interesting how little awareness we have around our bad habits :D 

Also I feel like your floor loco stuff is a different language haha, but one I want to learn!

Yes, it is. They have all sort of  funky skills to work. It  keeps it interesting

• Like 1

I did not defeat my boss battle.🙁 Bummed, but not discouraged. I got the max in negative pistols and negative chin ups. I only got one less then max in the elevated push ups. I was a little surprised that that wasn't enough. I don't know how they set it. For the pike (elevated) push ups, it was a bit confusing.  During all the workouts, it had called them feet elevated pushups. It had a picture of a guy with his feet on a chair seat doing incline pushups. Then for the test, they had you doing pike push ups. I decided to do them with feet on a chair. But for the next two weeks, I'll do pike.  I hadn't been doing that far elevated, so having two extra weeks will be a good thing.  I watched some tutorials for pike pushup, and realized the goal is to go more forward, touching your nose in between your finger. So, in the dive bomber and pike, I will practice that.

Took a video of my pistols. Pretty good on the left, right not as good (I'm left handed) My knee is pretty wobbly. I'm going to work on keeping the bent leg more stable. 

Does anyone else use the NF app? What do you think of it?  I like the levelling up. And the adjustment they have done for the boss battles is better. This time is the first time, where I felt they gave me something I hadn't practiced. Though, I had sort of practiced it with the dive bomber. Which brings up the thing I don't like.I'm a big picture person. I like to know what I'm working for. After being on the NF Facebook group, I've figured out that the eventual goal is a handstand pushup.  And, of course, the pike is a progression.  I would have like to know that at the beginning of the workout session.

What are your opinions? Do you prefer what the big boss challenge is to be a mystery or would you rather know what it is going to be?

edit to add: I looked at the note saying I had failed in my quest to defeat The Widowmaker and it says the goal i 8 knee high push ups

• Like 4

Hey, found you! 

I go through cycles where I like to design my own workouts, then I burn out and just want someone to tell me what to do, then I get bored and want to create my own system again. I liked the app during my "tell me what to do" stages, but struggled to stick with it log enough to see any appreciable benefits from it, although that was mainly because my phone never seemed to like it and it always lagged a lot for me, which got frustrating and led to me eventually cancelling my Prime membership. I think I'd prefer to know what the boss battle is though, so I could better judge when I thought I was ready for it. 

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I did not defeat my boss battle.🙁 Bummed, but not discouraged. I got the max in negative pistols and negative chin ups.

Sounds like a valiant and worthy attempt!

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What are your opinions? Do you prefer what the big boss challenge is to be a mystery or would you rather know what it is going to be?

I don't use the app. I prefer total control over my programming because I'm a snowflake with special needs.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 3/25/2022 at 4:34 AM, Elastigirl said:

Maybe there was a Fountain of Youth and I had discovered it?

Very nice read on your intro :D
Maybe there is a Fountain of Youth in everyone of us!
I would love to find mine....

On 3/30/2022 at 5:14 AM, Elastigirl said:

I realized how often I was grazing.

Cravings... Especially when there is chocolate in the house - I cannot resist.

The grazing is not even the bad part, I mean you won't get fat if you nom half a hand of cereals or an apple so now and then. 
But it's the food!  The baaad foodz. I try to keep them out of the house. But my wife keeps buying them for the kids, but only half of it (or less) reaches them 🤣

• Like 1

[NF Character Profile]
Last challenge(s): [05/22] [03/22] [02/22] [01/22

4 hours ago, Drakandar said:

Very nice read on your intro :D
Maybe there is a Fountain of Youth in everyone of us!
I would love to find mine....

Cravings... Especially when there is chocolate in the house - I cannot resist.

The grazing is not even the bad part, I mean you won't get fat if you nom half a hand of cereals or an apple so now and then. 
But it's the food!  The baaad foodz. I try to keep them out of the house. But my wife keeps buying them for the kids, but only half of it (or less) reaches them 🤣

I don't think the cucumbers I grazed on fixing dinner added many calories, but I think all the extra bits of potato, chocolate chips, rice etc. we're adding up more than I thought.

• Like 2