Elastigirl and the Fountain of Youth: The story continues

50 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I think all the extra bits of potato, chocolate chips, rice etc. we're adding up more than I thought.

I'm realizing that I sneak little bits more often than I realized as well.  Curious to see how you address this little ... um .... fudging.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

On 3/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

hey, made it to your thread at last! ;) 

I really like the story you wrote in the beginning of your challenge and the feeling you describe with the strength and mobility coming back: thats my goal too! love it!

am impressed with you doing GMB, those moves are WOW! 

good luck with the boss battle! you are doing really well! :) 

Hi there! Thanks!

14 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Hey, found you! 

I go through cycles where I like to design my own workouts, then I burn out and just want someone to tell me what to do, then I get bored and want to create my own system again. I liked the app during my "tell me what to do" stages, but struggled to stick with it log enough to see any appreciable benefits from it, although that was mainly because my phone never seemed to like it and it always lagged a lot for me, which got frustrating and led to me eventually cancelling my Prime membership. I think I'd prefer to know what the boss battle is though, so I could better judge when I thought I was ready for it. 

My phone lags too. I find designing my workouts too overwhelming. I just get caught up in all the choices, and  end up doing too much

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sounds like a valiant and worthy attempt!

I don't use the app. I prefer total control over my programming because I'm a snowflake with special needs.

😃 I prefer someone to tell me what to do. When I program it myself, my Ranger brain takes over, and I do too much. That said, if I want to, I'll switch it up. The other  day it called for assisted pull ups, and I opted for ring rows because I was tired of the band pull ups. And for the pistols, I'll try different methods than the one in the tutorial  when I want a change or try to see if it works. I look at the workout as a frame, but I give myself freedom in the frame.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

😃 I prefer someone to tell me what to do. When I program it myself, my Ranger brain takes over, and I do too much.

Ah yes, ranger brain. I can see how having a written programme could quiet that down a bit. I have the opposite: "Surely deadlifts are all I need. One set until I die should do the trick." 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 4/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, Harriet said:

Ah yes, ranger brain. I can see how having a written programme could quiet that down a bit. I have the opposite: "Surely deadlifts are all I need. One set until I die should do the trick." 😁

I've never thought of just doing one exercise. I could see how doing just one thing , like a deadlift, would be helpful. Provided you stop before you actually die that is.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I posted  on NF facebook about the confusion with the boss challenge, and got a response quickly. They now have it set up so all the boss challenges meet up with the exercises that you do in the workouts. So, the video and tag calling it a pike push up (which we didn't work on) was in error. I was impressed by the quick response.

Workouts were done on Friday. I made brownies for the church small group meeting was having. I ate more of the batter then I should have to meet my weight loss goals.  We had Chick fil a for dinner, and a grilled chicken and then a salad from home, so I ended up eating maintenance calories.  Saturday, I just felt so hungry! Did some yard work, but nothing heavy , so that shouldn't have made me hungry. I ate a big lunch. Then I made rolls for our church meal on Sunday, and had two.  I had another brownie after dinner. I had not tracked food Saturday afternoon, but I did go back today and retroactively yesterday's food today. It's a guestimate, since I ate at my inlaws home.  It seems a bit silly to track after the fact. But, it does help with awareness. I ended up about 2,000 calories. That's probably about 200 to 300 over maintenance (depending on how many calories I burned during a GMB session and light yard work)  I felt like I went way over. 

Today we had a church lunch. I had one of my rolls, salad, and chicken, and a donut for dessert. I skipped the rice, since  I was having a roll and dessert. I went on a walk this afternoon. It was lightly rainy, so not super inspiring. But, I am tired of spinning my wheels on the weight loss, and so I figured a good walk would help burn some calories. Plan is to have a light meal.  I have not had a snack today. I wasn't hungry, but I used to always have snack on Sunday, mainly just because I was home, and I could. 

Funny story. I was getting dressed Friday, and looking in the mirror, and feeling like everything I wore, I looked fat. Then I realized that I was wearing the jeans that I complained about before. They are low rise, and squeeze my muffin top, and make t-shirts cling to me. Switched my pants, and magic, I lost 10 pounds. Those jeans are now going to be my work out in the yard jeans. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Funny story. I was getting dressed Friday, and looking in the mirror, and feeling like everything I wore, I looked fat. Then I realized that I was wearing the jeans that I complained about before. They are low rise, and squeeze my muffin top, and make t-shirts cling to me. Switched my pants, and magic, I lost 10 pounds. Those jeans are now going to be my work out in the yard jeans. 

AHA! Low rise jeans are terrible. As are skinny jeans.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Just get rid of them. You’re not going to want work on the yard if you feel fat.  

I might. I'll see if I actually do wear them  and then decide

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Agreed

Well, I thought last week was going alright. But I weighed and measured, and it was exactly the same as last week. To be honest, I'm frustrated. Feeling like I need to have more self control, but also feeling like I'm working hard, and not getting any where.

It seems like in prior years, it was a lot easier to lose weight. There's been mixed research on how hard it is to lose weight as you get older. Some say no , some say a little. Right now it seems hard to me. I'm trying to not get discouraged, and just look at my eating habits honestly. Some thoughts I had:

Chocolate seems to be  a tough one. I don't want to totally restrict it, but I have a tough time stopping when I want. Tonight's plan is to divide it into 70 calorie portions, wrap in foil,out in plastic baggies, and put in a high cupboard. I get one a day. So, I'm making my own single serving packets.  Slows me down, and makes me stop and think before I eat more.

I might just have to say no extra treats, even on the weekend. Though I have Easter and hubby's birthday coming up, so I don't know how realistic that is.

I could bite the bullet, and go for a bigger calorie deficit. Hard in the short term, but I'm tired of being on the treadmill. However, I really like my workouts, and am enjoying the strength gains I see that, and hate to lose that.  I tend to get super low on energy with the  bigger cuts

• Like 1

Chocolate will always be my nemesis.  I manage to keep things somewhat under control with kisses, which are relatively easy to keep count of and require effort, so its harder to just gorge through them.  But my progress this cut has been disappointing, which likely owes much to chocolate overindulgence.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Chocolate will always be my nemesis.  I manage to keep things somewhat under control with kisses, which are relatively easy to keep count of and require effort, so its harder to just gorge through them.  But my progress this cut has been disappointing, which likely owes much to chocolate overindulgence.

I can't do milk chocolate, which is good in a way, but then I get dark chocolate chips or bars, and they don't come in individual packs. That's why I decided to try and make my own packs, and see if that worked better. It did for today at least.

I got 16,777 steps in today! Went for a walk with my friend. It was cold, but sunny when I left for my walk. I had  a hat and coat on, but also my sun glasses. Walked to the park, met my friend, walked around the park. On our way out of the park, it started to rain. Then 5 minutes later it started to hail . That's when I decided to try out my jogging. Got some good cardio in  as I jogged and briskly walked home. Just about 5 minutes from home, the sleet stopped, and the sun came out. Ah, spring, gotta love it! After dinner, Mr. Incredible and I went on a walk. Also did some house cleaning today, and it's not quite 8, and I'm feeling ready for bed.

Tomorrow's workout: I decided I'm going to add in another set of push ups. The workout has me doing 4 sets of Divebomber pushups. I'm going to do 2-3 sets of regular push ups.  The reason is , I've had lots of success doing this with the chin ups, and I think the volume really helps. @Waldo was talking on his thread how he felt that doing 5 sets at least  really helped him build his strength. As far as time spent on the workout, it shouldn't add much. The workout is set up so you do all your sets of one exercise, and then move on to the next. I can superset a couple of the exercises- pistol and then do the divebombers, so it really won't take much extra time. I'll do this for the next two week, until I have the boss challenge. The boss challenge portion that I failed on was not  being able to do all 8 elevated push ups, so focusing on this will be good. 

• Like 4

On 3/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Because the people for whom the opposite was true tended not to live long enough to pass on genetic materiel when we were hunter-gatherers and had to endure feast-or-famine conditions. It's not the easiest thing to live with when we are faced with an abundance of over-processed food, but it's good for the species if the fecal matter ever hits the air-distribution-device.

I don’t fully buy this…. Our metabolisms change based on what we do, whether we have kids, and as we age. Watching me and MFH age - his parents have had troubles with a lot of weight gain in different ways, and my folks less so. I like to point out that if you do the same sort, or even many of them, for a long time, you become more efficient. A adaption for hunger gathered scarcity then isn’t just the ability to gain some weight, but also the ability to function at a high level with less. Two sides of the same coin, but I like the efficiency side better. It also fits my story that as a endurance athlete (partly), I bonk way less now than I did in my 20s.

This is also why amateur bike racers in their 40s are so fast. And why expedition mountaineers need to be able to add some weight before starting out on a new route. 

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

On 4/4/2022 at 8:40 PM, Elastigirl said:

could bite the bullet, and go for a bigger calorie deficit. Hard in the short term, but I'm tired of being on the treadmill. However, I really like my workouts, and am enjoying the strength gains I see that, and hate to lose that.  I tend to get super low on energy with the  bigger cuts

What about a little macro adjustment?

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

17 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

What about a little macro adjustment?

Well, I already doing high protein ( 1 gram per pound  of lean body weight is my goal) so I am not sure it would help.  I am trying a little less carb , and seeing if that helps. Cutting  back on the sugary carbs, and using more real foods.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Well, I already doing high protein ( 1 gram per pound  of lean body weight is my goal) so I am not sure it would help.  I am trying a little less carb , and seeing if that helps. Cutting  back on the sugary carbs, and using more real foods.

so all bodies are different, but for me trading carbs (bread!) for fats leans me out fast when coupled with eating fewer meals that are also bigger. 

this is why there’s currently andouille, eggs, milk  and coconut oil in my late breakfast oatmeal. Along with a bit of syrup and banana too. Yes andouille and banana sounds weirder than it tastes. I cook the sausage at the beginning of the week and spoon it on top.

21 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

so all bodies are different, but for me trading carbs (bread!) for fats leans me out fast when coupled with eating fewer meals that are also bigger. 

this is why there’s currently andouille, eggs, milk  and coconut oil in my late breakfast oatmeal. Along with a bit of syrup and banana too. Yes andouille and banana sounds weirder than it tastes. I cook the sausage at the beginning of the week and spoon it on top.

Yeah, I  am sort of leaning toward the more fats less carbs.  I had sausage and oatmeal this morning, only I had the sausage beside it instead of inside it.

• Like 1

So, after complaining about the lack of weight loss Monday. Tuesday I had dropped a pound, and the scale  read the same weight loss on Wednesday. I don't know, weight can be weird.

I went on a walk today, and pushed a stroller uphill. Went with my friends, one of whom is the gal with the baby. I got elected to push the baby stroller uphill. Cool thing was I was able to do it without too much  of a struggle. My cardio really is improving.

Did the workout today. I did the divebomber pushups, and then later did 3 sets of regular push ups. I  filmed myself doing the pushups so I could form check. Pretty good, but I need to tighten my core more. I also did pull ups on the rings outside. I forgot, but maybe next time I can do some German Hang stretches. Went on a walk in the evening, and then went to the grocery store. My Fitbit says 14,000 steps. We actually had to go to two grocery stores. It is our tradition to do a lamb roast for Easter, and the first store didn't have any. The second store did. but it was expensive. Bought it anyway. It's Easter, so I guess that's a good reason to spend extra money

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

weight can be weird

thisbenedict.jpeg.3b4fe6dc94df179f43d3c490350fa252.jpeg

Glad you got the lamb.  We're doing ham, as is traditional, and we've decided to get the good stuff.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

On 4/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, Harriet said:

As are skinny jeans.

Don't get me wrong, slimmer fitting jeans look great. But skinny jeans....NOPE. If I can't bend over to pick up something off the floor in jeans without contorting myself into ungodly positions....then those jeans are NOT for me lol.

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

It is our tradition to do a lamb roast for Easter, and the first store didn't have any. The second store did. but it was expensive. Bought it anyway. It's Easter, so I guess that's a good reason to spend extra money

I think I might copy this tradition.... either way it's a fantastic reason to spend a little extra $$ :) 

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, Harriet said:

It truly is the case that the older I get the higher my jeans get, lol. I love my (not too) skinny jeans though. Anything else just seems to get in the way at work, on bicycles, etc. No jeggings though please.

I recently dragged two pairs of jeans out of the back of my closet that are a size bigger than what I've been wearing. By the end of the day they're slouchier and more sloppy than I would like. BUT if I get stuck at my desk for a long time they don't tick off my belly. Win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

thisbenedict.jpeg.3b4fe6dc94df179f43d3c490350fa252.jpeg

Glad you got the lamb.  We're doing ham, as is traditional, and we've decided to get the good stuff.  

I  like a good ham. The cheap ones, not so much. I'll eat it, but don't ever buy it to for myself. 

3 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Don't get me wrong, slimmer fitting jeans look great. But skinny jeans....NOPE. If I can't bend over to pick up something off the floor in jeans without contorting myself into ungodly positions....then those jeans are NOT for me lol.

I think I might copy this tradition.... either way it's a fantastic reason to spend a little extra $$ :) 

Wolf

Yeah, I need to be able to bend over. Roasted lamb is delicious. In prior years, we bought the lamb at Costco, but they didn't have any this year

27 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

It truly is the case that the older I get the higher my jeans get, lol. I love my (not too) skinny jeans though. Anything else just seems to get in the way at work, on bicycles, etc. No jeggings though please.

I recently dragged two pairs of jeans out of the back of my closet that are a size bigger than what I've been wearing. By the end of the day they're slouchier and more sloppy than I would like. BUT if I get stuck at my desk for a long time they don't tick off my belly. Win.

I actually decided to buy a new pair of jeans a size up. By measurements, I should fit in size 6. But I was tired of how tight they feel on my belly.  I am wondering if they will end up looking too slouchy, we shall see. 

14 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

I hate the digging into belly that trousers do. But if I get a bigger size they fall down as I walk (and a belt means permanent belly digging in 😐 )... I also have very wide calves which means all my trousers have to be super stretchy or I have to add a panel in. Once I find a comfortable pair that actually fit me I go and buy all the colours :D 

• Like 1

Level 24 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

23 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

You don't need to bend over to pick things up--just squat. Of course, squatting regularly will cause you to no longer fit into skinny jeans, because it will redistribute mass from your waist to your legs. Then you'll be strong and happy, but you'll also need new jeans.

20 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

High waisted, extra curvy mom jeans for me! Freedom from suffocation for my calves, slight roominess at the legs and bum, and a waist that neither digs in nor falls down.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You don't need to bend over to pick things up--just squat. Of course, squatting regularly will cause you to no longer fit into skinny jeans, because it will redistribute mass from your waist to your legs. Then you'll be strong and happy, but you'll also need new jeans.

Unless the crotch area is so friggin tight, squatting is a sure way to rip them wide open lol. I learned my lesson once with skinny jeans and that was enough. Part of why I don't like them is the fact I do squat regularly lol

Spoiler

AND....let's be honest. Skinny jeans on women vs men is ENTIRELY different. Trying to make skinny jeans work with the ole "frank and beans" combo is just unfair 😅

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

In prior years, we bought the lamb at Costco, but they didn't have any this year

This is an outrage, lol. Costco has failed you and I'm sorry, EG :( 

Wolf

• Haha 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.