DaemonCorax keeps journeying (Level 1 Hunter)

Hi everyone! My posts really fell off in the second half of the last challenge. I think:

(1) The migraine, stomach bug combo wiped me out

(2) Working through the weekend Mar 18th wiped me out

(3) My points system required too much care and feeding.

I went back through my old posts and the days I know I climbed but didn't lift (or log) and came up with an additional 2 days of lead climbing, a couple bike rides and a Pilates appt.

New numbers are:

STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4

The STR, STA and DEX pts are roughly awarded from counting workouts. I think I did reasonably well with consistency, learned some lessons for writing up this challenge, and my mental health could use some work. So, that's where the other points allocations come in. I think for this challenge I may just do a 10/10/10/5/5/5 possible points allocation and grade myself more qualitatively rather than counting every workout.

I also noticed that I got consistent enough with going to the gym that even when I didn't have the schedule flexibility to commute by bike (for various reasons), I was pretty good at squeezing in a little gym time. There were weeks that were endurance heavy and weeks that were strength heavy, but I didn't have time to put both together in one week by the second half of the challenge.

So for this challenge, we have more of the same, with some slight tweaks:

d76882533034ece42900524353430e58.png

Over the past few weeks, drifting back from the base of cliffs and in to town to old habits and trades work again, it seems like things have stalled for our protagonist. But since she doesn't really know where she's going, maybe that's ok. The balance is a bit off. The desert calls loudly, covering the lure of warm houses and fresh food....

1) Covering terrain - This goal has to do with allocating time for both endurance efforts (be it just a bike commute, which really just needs to be box-checking), and for climbing.

6 5 days a week do SOMETHING that is either cardio or climbing. For now the bike commute counts. Later when its more of a routine thing again, bike commute will still count for constitution, but not for building much endurance. For climbing workouts, each workout is worth something, but climbing/weights workout and climbing only (especially if lead climbing is involved) count the same.

STA 10

DEX 10

CON 5

2) Becoming invincible - This goal is to do with Pilates and weightlifting. For example, being all-round strong doesn't hold a candle to finding out your whole body shakes when you try to do the core equivalent of "wiggle your big toe."

6 5 days a week I need to keep up with my Pilates work. This could be anything throughout the day or a dedicated Pilates appt (1 hr) or 10-15 min of yoga/Pilates/mat work as combined with any other workout. Lifting goal of twice a week coincides nicely with my climbing goal. Funny how that happens. This looks like fewer points, but don't be fooled. This is the groundwork for everything else.

STR 10

CON 5

3) Animal handling  - This goal has to do with mental work, teaching the brain better habits to sort through history and worries while still holding compassion for people close by. It also plays a role in remembering to be kind to said brain and give it some room for creative pursuits and to sort things out.

Be-nice-to-yourself-It-s-hard-142635.jpg

Being nice to myself isn't an excuse to not challenge myself in this case.

Allowing myself to take on challenges again is kinder than what I have been doing.

This aspect was poorly addressed in my posts in the last challenge goal-wise, but a lot of growth is happening. I still need reminders though, so this image stolen from the internet is making the jump from my old challenge.

New for this challenge:

(1) I am continuing to talk to someone every couple weeks.

(2) I went back to late breakfast a few days ago and so far its ok. We'll see what happens if my activity level ticks further up.

WIS 5

CHA 5

• Like 4

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

I should mention (In keeping with Goal 3 of being nice to myself):

1. I am going on a climbing trip in April. (yay!) hence less focus on lifting the last couple weeks.

2. I went from getting pumped on 10s to falling off 11s last month (but completing them! usually with 1-2 crux falls) last challenge and started leading in the gym again for the first time in 18 months.

3. I went from a sub-200 1RM to 225 1RM deadlift last challenge.

I am going to go back to @Alanna's programming notes and my lifting workouts are going to look a little different this time around.

• Like 1

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

Ok. A little update:

Sunday - day 1 of the challenge. Rest day.

Monday - Entirely too many places to be, so another rest day. Drove to work. Got home early for a zoom appt.

Tuesday - Rode to work the long way. (12 mi instead of 8.5 mi) Messing with cleat position. All the modern fit info says move your cleats back for foot stability, and all the old info says put the axle under your big metatarsal for maximum power. I guess between having short legs, large calves, and riding road bikes for 2 decades, I just feel weird with my cleats back. Hopped a ride home with MFH since it was raining and he was done early.

Wednesday (today) - Met my gym buddy around 6:30. Did some climbing. Did bench press for the first time in like 9 years. I got some help from him setting it up correctly since we were (1) using a squat rack and (2) I'm really rusty.

45 lb 5reps

55 lbs 5 reps 2 sets

75 lbs 5 reps

80 lbs 3 reps

95 lbs no rep. Having a spotter is nice.

Also had Pilates today at noon, so my core has been busy. Feel pretty a-ok though.

Tomorrow I was planning on going for a bike ride. We'll see what happens. My usually workday ride buddy is busy, so I may get sucked into other projects. I'll at least commute though.

The small one woke up at 4:15. MFH bought me 20 minutes before I also had to wake up. So, oddly enough I was really tired and nothing in my body wanted to move. 5 am work email showed that wasn't going to work and I needed to get to work around 7 like usual.  I WAS going to go in later (with MFH taking my early schedule) and blow off some work and for for a long ride, followed by possibly attending a farewell beer for a coworker. So we UN-SWITCHED our schedules and I talked myself in to at least commuting to work on my singlespeed. I'm glad I did,  but I am also still wishing I had an extra hour of sleep.

I'm proud of myself for reserving judgement on riding to work until I was more awake.  Also convincing myself that having a day that's a "normal" schedule is a good thing wasn't that hard.

• Like 2

Today is going to be a bit unknown. I may go over to MFH's shop to work on some stuff in a bit.

This morning I'm in something resembling a lull at work (relatively speaking), so I again took the opportunity to ride the 12 mi route to work. Since it's much more open road than the 8.5 mi ride it doesn't actually take much longer. Maybe 7 minutes or so?

This weekend I don't have any big plans. Maybe biking to the climbing gym with the small one. Maybe going to the pool Sunday, which I've decided isn't really my favorite thing, but he's so stoked about it...

• Like 1

I have rearranged my furniture in my half of the office about 5 times now in the past two days. Some combination of work stress, spring cleaning, and temporarily not having an office mate. I think I'm done for now. Total changes? A new adopted chair and a repositioned file cabinet. After 5 interations. Hah.

The weekend did indeed involve the climbing gym with the small one, MFH, and a friend. I only climbed 3 routes, but one of them was an 11- where I only popped off once.

Sunday was a trip to the pool.

Today I commuted by singlespeed. Tomorrow or Thursday will be a good gym day becuase my schedule will be flipped with MFH. We'll see what the weather does.

After lifting for 5 weeks or so and then letting things fall off a bit, it's time to try for a little more consistency again.

• Like 2

It turns out Google image searching "Stress cleaning" produces both figures suggesting that cleaning stresses people out AND that cleaning relieves stress. Neither addresses it quite like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

But hey! I haven't moved my furniture yet today.

• Like 2

Ok. I'm coming out of the slump a little. Not that work feels more inspiring at the moment. Still very hung over feeling about my work stress.

Yesterday ended up being a rest day. Today the small one shocked us all by sleeping until 5:30. Which was great except for the fact where I was meeting my gym buddy at 6:30.

Climbed the crack and a handful of routes. I only climbed 11-. If I climbed easier stuff and fell off of it I would have psyched myself out for pushing grades so... On most of these routes I popped off once, but I never fell multiple times.

Lifting:  Gotta get back to doing squats. I'm transitioning from 5x5 to something that loads progressively throughout the sets. BUT I also took a couple weeks off, so this looks a little funny.

95lbs 5 reps, 115 5x2, 125 5x, 135 3x, 145 1 rep.

The 145 lift was a little tentative and I'm not confident I got full depth. But my knees didn't cave so there's that. I'm back in the realm of squatting my bodyweight (roughly 140 ) again!

Dumbbell butterflies 10lbs in each hand 8x3

3-ish pull-ups on the bar I have to jump up to

Some Pilates roll-ups and twists.

I made a point of NOT deadlifting becuase I have Pilates at 2 pm and that's just too much.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110713df4b1dc7d808bd

The other thing worth noting, since I'd been grumbling about food a bit at the end of the last challenge, is that on weekdays at least I'm back on my "very late breakfast" schedule. So I'm eating roughly two meals a day again, but if I feel like I'm bonking I definitely allow snacks between late breakfast and dinner. This means late breakfast generally takes place between 10 am and noon (Unless I'm going on a multi-hour bike ride at 9:30 or something), and dinner happens between 5 and 6. On the weekends the toddler 3-meals-a-day changes things a bit, so I have to adapt. But my gut definitely likes this better than breakfast at 5:30, lunch at 11-12 or so, and dinner at 5-6. I would say my alertness level does too, but my sleep got royally messed up the last few days so Monday and Tuesday I was so so sleepy around 1pm. Today the morning workout has helped that a lot. The sleepiness is also stress-related I think. Anyway. So this means my morning bike commute or gym workout takes place on 1/2 a cup of coffee, some water, and maybe my kid's last bite of banana. That counts as fasted right?

• Like 3

Mantra for both me and my character:

”you are not a lizard. Drink more water, dummy.”

in response to wishing my skin was better.  🙄🙄

• Haha 1

If I get done with work early enough today, I'm going to the gym. But I wouldn't bet on it.

MFH and I switched schedules again today so that I was doing drop off. That's all well and good, but my brain does NOT like it. So so so tired all over again. It's so much easier for me to hit the ground running early in the morning, be it work or gym. Ugh. Coffee round 2 here we go.

• Like 2

This morning (as I mentioned to @RES) I decided to try to not feel guilty about not riding my bike even thoguh the weather is good and it's going to slush next week.

I'm going to go wrench on my lab equipment and go to the gym before lunch. I drove my 4Runner. (I was supposed to get a new windshield this week, but MFH's windshield guy kept getting delayed so instead I spent two days driving the project car. I love the project car, but it isn't relaxing in the same way. This is the downside of being married to your mechanic. Hopefully new windshield Monday. And it will be a nice Toyota windshield with all new seals :) ). The 4Runner has working heat and is a very reassuring place to sit. I've owned it for 6 years, so some of that is just familiarity. Anyway. My coworker offered me a donut. I only take donuts when there is a plain cake or cinnamon sugar cake available. There was. So today I guess my intermittent fasting failed a little lol. BUT, this prompted me to look up the best donut I've ever had.

In 2009 or so I was racing in Charlottesville, VA. The race didn't go very well, in hindsight because I really really needed to get my tonsils out, and because I'm terrible at race starts. Anyway. There was a donut trailer being towed by an old Ford. The internet tells me he still exists and I'm so happy to hear he's been successful!

https://carpedonut.org/carpe-catering/

redcart1-600x600-1.jpg

• Like 2

finally after work and everything got the the gym. Which is to say work got away from me, I had planned on lunch w a coworker, and then MFH had a meeting w a lawyer, because estate planning (not that our is complicated, but guardianship papers matter to me).

5 auto belay pitches - all easy except for 2/3 of a 5.11

OHP 45 5x3 55 3x3

DL 135 x5 185 3x3 205

I think the work stress is messing with me though. My throat started to bother my a couple hours ago. Gonna take it easy this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Hi ❤️ late but will do my best to keep up, really love your posts xx

Hiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

how are you? Settled in to the new place? I need to go read your thread. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

This morning (as I mentioned to @RES) I decided to try to not feel guilty about not riding my bike even thoguh the weather is good and it's going to slush next week.

Listening to your body is important I'm discovering...I love working out (which it sounds like you do as well) so if my body doesn't feel up to it for whatever reason, I'm learning (it's tough!) to listen to why it's not wanting to. 

Donuts should always be accepted when your favorite ones are available :D I don't make the rules 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE isn't cutting it!

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 69

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

55 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Hiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

how are you? Settled in to the new place? I need to go read your thread. 

Settling well!!! Had a few nights out here, its a smaller town, so not in the city anymore. Still, lots going on tbh. Getting on real well with Roxys work mates etc ....

Had a bad lower back recently so put my weights starting on hold :( getting me down!!!!!! its improving though thank fully xx

Literally as I was walking out of the gym Friday I got a sore through. Cue sore joints, scars and throat all day Saturday and half of Sunday. MFH ended up toddlering a lot more than planned and I actually napped, something I never really make time for.

The results:

(1) I DID make time to cook a huge pot of chili Sunday morning. This will be coming with us on our road trip on Wednesday. Camping with kids is so much easier if you can bring precooked yummy food. Precooked food plus cold nighttime temperatures and a old two-burner Coleman stove means stuff doesn't go bad too fast (especially if its spicy), and dinner is simple.

(2) This morning my throat is still deeply unhappy with me, but the rest of me doesn't hurt anymore

(3) I need to seriously evaluate my work stress

(4) I deleted instagram from my phone for a bit. The climbing/lifting/bike stuff was great, but then I get sucked into reels about moms and babies and emotional things and.....I need to reset the algorithm or something because that is just not good for me.

This week there won't be much for workouts as we need to pack for our road trip. Packing is pretty simple (kitchen, clothes, gear), but squeezing it in around work and everything requires a very coordinated approach from me and MFH. I also need to write a little note for our house/cat sitter. He's our roommate's bf (she's OOT as well), and the cats love him, but I'm not always confident he knows some basic things about the house.

We'll be back before the challenge is over though!

• Like 2

I’m leaving town! I will have no cellphone reception! And if I can turn my brain off about my broken code that was probably accidentally broken by a coworker, then all will be well.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 4:49 PM, DaemonCorax said:

And if I can turn my brain off about my broken code that was probably accidentally broken by a coworker, then all will be well.

That does not sound good, so good luck!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE isn't cutting it!

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 69

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Well I'm back. I had a cold before I left that is now a full blown sinus infection. The trip was great, but the cold/infection definitely made everything harder and was kind of a bummer.

I'm WFH for a bit. I resorted to antibiotics, so let's hope they work soon.

• Like 1