Kishi Does His Homework

Studying College Life GIF

So sorry for the delay! I've been doing my homework. And I'll be going back to it just as soon as I'm done here.

Took all week to figure out what my challenge was going to be. I knew it was going to be a writing challenge, but I didn't know how precisely. Then I knew it was going to be related to doing homework of some kind, like what my brother advised, but I didn't know what that looked like either.

And to TBF? I still don't! But I'm not going to let this challenge pass me by.

We're back on the Doing One Thing and Seeing What Happens part of the show. That one thing is study. My brother gave me a bunch of things to study over and to work out, and so every day I'm going to do at least one study activity. This study activity may lead to world building and it may not. Doing the One Thing has all manner of strange effects; who knows where I'll wind up?

As to rewards? Hmm, I dunno yet. I think this time I might be content with a Job Well Done, although I think for the moment I'll leave open the possibility that something come along that I want to earn.

Anyway, on that note:

Goal: 1/2

• Like 6

I've been looking for you!

Good luck with the one thing!

• Thanks 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I've been looking for you!

Good luck with the one thing!

Thanks! I'll try to be about when I can.

Goal: 2/3

So I guess, with things being so simple this time go round, this challenge works out to being like a blog more than anything else. I can live with that.

Life is pretty good these days. I'm off the mats again for stupid reasons; the academy is basically insisting on adding patches to my gi, and until I'm patched, they won't let me on. It's a branding issue; the academy is affiliated with the Gracie family and the Gracies are pretty big on slapping their name on as many things as they can. The academy wasn't enforcing it until just recently, and my suspicion is that it's tied to an upcoming seminar with a dude who's down from Tristar Gym up in Canada. Tristar, for those not in the know, is run by a coach named Firas Zahabi, who's trained numerous notable MMA fighters including George St-Pierre, one of the G.O.A.T.s of the sport. I frankly don't empathize enough to see what the point would be, but it's not up to me. So until I'm in compliance, I'm off the mats. Boooooo.

At least the GST is going well, though. I'm continually amazed by how well the Fundamentals program is working; I've gone back to review some of the earlier movements because I was afraid I was missing out on benefits and found that I could do them better than I had before. It was kind of a shock, really. But it does continue to convince me that I'm doing the right thing. Having that kind of visceral reinforcement is nice.

The research right now is focused on one system of magic in the setting. Which sounds like there's going to be multiple systems. Because there will be. It's gonna be okay. One step at a time.

• Like 4

I like your approach to this challenge. I hope you have fun exploring the background for your novel.

How do you feel about having patches on your gi?

Could you have a second (or third) gi without patches for when you want to train other places?

Some aikido dojos have patches, but it is a completely local thing. They show affiliation to that dojo, not to the organization. My dojo has talked about it but there was never enough interest to make it happen. My friend from Chicago had a white-on-white patch on his gi. He likes it because it is subtle. It also lets you wash your gi with bleach without worrying about the patch.

Speaking of washing - if you decide to put patches on a gi in the future, soak them in water with a little detergent overnight to make sure they are colorfast. If you see color in the water, do repeated soaks with vinegar water and salt water (alternating) to set the dye.

• Thanks 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

How do you feel about having patches on your gi?

Honestly? Given that I feel like my gi are wearable, practical art, it feels vaguely profane. Especially since the patches themselves are branding for the overall Gracie system of BJJ.

But, say the worst happens and I fall out of this academy. They're just stitched in. I can pick them out again if I have to. And, the way I'm learning to see it, it's supporting a local business, which is something I believe is important. Gracie Raleigh, where I go, has its own particular take on the brand, and it's also really decent of them to allow students to continue to wear their own colors rather than forcing conformity through just wearing their gi, which other places would do. I think I'm more annoyed that they're enforcing it now, with me working to figure out how to be efficient with gas and having just figured out how to balance my training so that I'm out there more often, you know? But that will pass. I got a local friend helping me out with the patches now, and I think I'll be able to continue with no-gi as well since I don't think there's any such thing as branded rashguards... I'm holding off on returning to the mats for that for now just until I can make sure, since I ultimately do want to do right by these people.

Thanks, by the way, for the tips on patch-bleeding! I will be careful in the future.

Goal: 3/4

Phaw! Things are going well, but I have to admit, my brain feels like jelly at the end of the day. Between the analytical work I'm doing for the dayjob and the research I'm doing on my own time, I'm fried at the end of the day. In a good way, but there it be still.

The good news is, part of my research involves looking for examples in media of how others have tried to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish, and so I can consume media - mindfully - and it still count for part of my research. Finally hit a point last night where I'm feeling confident writing some things down, so the research is going to take a bit of a turn into writing magic systems. I found a resource I want to use from a dude whose work I've liked before, so I'll be going over that today. This too is research.

Also, I've decided on my reward - I want to pick up a bag for MMA gear. I do have a bag already, but it's terribly big and bulky, and it's kind of uncomfortable to use, and I'd prefer something different if I can find it. If such a thing doesn't exist, I will turn toward another reward, but for now, that's what excites me the most.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Kishi said:

But, say the worst happens and I fall out of this academy. They're just stitched in. I can pick them out again if I have to. And, the way I'm learning to see it, it's supporting a local business, which is something I believe is important. Gracie Raleigh, where I go, has its own particular take on the brand, and it's also really decent of them to allow students to continue to wear their own colors rather than forcing conformity through just wearing their gi, which other places would do. I think I'm more annoyed that they're enforcing it now, with me working to figure out how to be efficient with gas and having just figured out how to balance my training so that I'm out there more often, you know? But that will pass. I got a local friend helping me out with the patches now, and I think I'll be able to continue with no-gi as well since I don't think there's any such thing as branded rashguards... I'm holding off on returning to the mats for that for now just until I can make sure, since I ultimately do want to do right by these people.

The pains of being Lawful Good when something you care about has a stupid rule.

Following!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

50 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I mean. I show up without a patch, they'll kick me off the mats and that'll be that. It's more a matter of practical problems than principles. :D

Proper Lawful Good is always about more than principles ;) 

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Goal: 4/6

Research has been happening as it can. Research credit on Thursday on account of finding a book I was looking for. Like I said, I'm getting to a point where I'm wanting to start writing some things down, but I didn't like the prior resources I was using, so I had to find a book that I'd been meaning to look for anyway. Unfortunately, finding the time to read is a little tricky; I've been trying to make time at work as I can, but that's been finicky lately. Work is in a "reap" period, which is a way of saying that a bunch of developments wrapped on a bunch of cases relatively quickly and now have to be closed. And they do have to be closed, because "reap" is the flipside of "sow," where I have to work really, really hard to accomplish very, very little. The caseload reflects this, and it's important to driving my load down to take this time and reap as much as I can.

You'd think that with me being off the mats for the moment that I'd be getting a lot more done, but truthfully I've been so fried at the end of the day that I've gone home and basically been consumptive the whole time, when I'm not engaged in training.

Speaking of that, I've been researching the GST forums, and I've found that there are ways and methods to blend GST and martial arts together. Yay! The catch being, though, that I'd have to get comfortable with being up early enough to do 2-a-days some days. Boo! But truthfully, I always kind of knew that where I am now wasn't going to last. Proper GST, when you get into it, is a structured, progressive program, and it wouldn't lend itself to a relatively lackadaisical approach like what I've taken lately.

Good news is, that's a ways off from now, so I can just roll with it. They've finally given me some locomotions I have to struggle with, and I want to get those right before I really commit to the hard stuff, and that'll be plenty of time to get used to the time requirements when I decide that's something I want to do.

Last night, no research got done. My friend group full of Dramatic People that I Don't Deal With Very Much wanted to get together, and after interrogating myself, I realized I'd regret not going with them, so I chose to do that instead. We went out to First Friday, which is a Raleigh event where all these art galleries open up and there are street vendors and things like that. We got there too late for the vendors because two parts of the polycule were late, but I was going for the company anyway, so it didn't matter to me. I had a good time. I'm glad I went.

Today's mostly a putter about my place kind of day. I had an open mat scheduled, but everyone else is banged up or has stuff going on, so it cancelled. I'll do my training and then my Resident Writer friend was talking about getting together to do writing stuff. I'd like to get after her about how she gets to know her characters, because that's something I feel like she does really well and that I could learn from. Also, she owes me a beer. Man's gotta collect what's owed and all that. :)

• Like 4

Right, so we're going to evolve the challenge a little bit, because even as I'm doing research, I also want to do writing separate from that. Specifically, I want to focus on getting to know my characters better. That might be a different kind of research/study, but doing it that way feels like I'm diluting my focus somewhat when there's already plenty in place for me to be distracted with. It makes sense to me to make it its own thing. So:

Goal 1: 5/8

Goal 2: 8/8

The writing goal gets full credit because it took me that long to figure out that was what I wanted to do. :P

Anyway, my weekend wound up relatively quiet. I didn't get to go writing with my writer friend; we were both silly with our time and didn't actually schedule anything, so the day went by without us getting together. It's a no-fault thing. Sunday also was quiet, beyond going home to visit my folks. I didn't really do any research, but I did start in on my character studies, which feels good to have done.

I've also kept working on my cleaning, and I'm pleased to report that I've almost cleaned out a full box of stuff, which will probably go to a local junk shop or something. Frankly, I don't even care about trying to get money for any of this; as long as it's gone and I have a little more space than I used to have, I'm fine. I could see myself throwing it out, but that just seems like kind of a waste to me.

Today's plan was kickboxing, but it's not going to happen because I've got some errands to manage. Not stoked about it, but it is what it is. Fortunately, the stuff I picked up about solo practice seems to be keeping me sharp. But I'm missing the spars pretty hard these days. :( My understanding is that the academy runs its strike sparring class on Fridays, but that class starts right when I'm leaving work. I wonder if there's something to the idea of working a little later one day to be cleared to leave a little early on Friday as a solution? With as good as work has been going, I may be in a position to make the request.

Which would be good to do today, since the "sow" period is coming on.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Kishi said:

the "sow" period is coming on

Pig herds continue shrinking trend in Germany, Denmark | WATTAgNet |  WATTPoultry

• Haha 2

Goal 1: 6/12

Goal 2: 9/12

Phew. Good week, but bad for goals. But then again, that's why it's a challenge, right?

Past week has been remarkable for keeping me on my toes pretty much every day all day. When I haven't been at work, I've been off doing other things. I haven't had any mat time since I was waiting on my friend to get the patches done, which he did, but I wouldn't have made the mat time anyway just because of life and things. I had planned some mat time on Monday, but I needed to run some errands, so I found that I couldn't make it. I realized that asking for a little early release on Friday would be really complicated in terms of paperwork and wouldn't actually solve all the problems I wanted it to, so I decided to ask instead to shift my whole schedule earlier. Boss was cool with it, which means now I've got to get my body used to it, which I'm pleased to report is happening.

Work, BTW, is going very well, even with me being in a sowing period. Had my performance review for the past month and boss is over the moon about me. She thinks if I have another month like the one I had, I'll be able to return to telework status, which would be phenomenal if true. I'd say, given how little of that is in my control, that I'm not so optimistic about my odds, but it's possible, and it's better to be well-regarded, err, regardless of how this all shakes out.

Tuesday was remarkable for being my first visit to the dentist in a lot more years than I'm proud of. I'm surprised and pleased to report that I came back with no cavities or gum disease for time away. Just needed a really deep cleaning which took forever, but the dentists I found turned out to be cool as hell and helped me out. They did say I'm picking up some patterns in my teeth consistent with too much grinding, so I decided to go for a mouth guard from them. I was easily persuaded when it turned out I can also use it for fighting, which, I know, right? Kind of the last thing I expected to write, but apparently the guard is super durable and well-suited to this sort of thing.

Tuesday night I wound up hanging with the friend who was doing my sewing for me, so that whole night was shot.

Wednesday and that night, I was just exhausted, between training at home and the schedule shift, so I pretty much just stayed home and putzed about.

Thursday, I went to work, and then got off with just enough time to do some training and then go out to see Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. It was really, really good. It's this zany, mad cap action comedy sci fi film that's really about resolving generational trauma in a Chinese-American family. It's absolutely worth a watch.

As to research and writing, well, that's not been happening because I haven't been managing my time very well. I've been very focused on work and I've been finding myself at the end of the day, just really kind of mentally fried. I tell myself I'll do things when I get home, and then I get home and I don't. And I've been trying to be active at work, ie getting up and walking about every hour or so, which has been very good and produced some virtuous cycles in terms of my output and my sense of wellbeing. I did finally figure some things out yesterday regarding writing and research and how to time those things, and I'm pleased to say it worked. I can do it again, I think, even with the shift to earlier work in the morning.

So. Yeah. That's been life this week.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Tuesday was remarkable for being my first visit to the dentist in a lot more years than I'm proud of. I'm surprised and pleased to report that I came back with no cavities or gum disease for time away. Just needed a really deep cleaning which took forever, but the dentists I found turned out to be cool as hell and helped me out. They did say I'm picking up some patterns in my teeth consistent with too much grinding, so I decided to go for a mouth guard from them. I was easily persuaded when it turned out I can also use it for fighting, which, I know, right? Kind of the last thing I expected to write, but apparently the guard is super durable and well-suited to this sort of thing.

I've been having a similar dentist experience in the past few months, except I needed some extra dental work. Back in December I went in for a cleaning for the first time since before COVID, and apparently I've been grinding my teeth so hard in my sleep that I cracked one of my crowns. (Yikes?) They scheduled me for a follow-up to replace the crown and I have one more follow-up, two weeks from now, to pick up the nightguard they are making for me to protect my teeth from having this happen again.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I've been having a similar dentist experience in the past few months, except I needed some extra dental work. Back in December I went in for a cleaning for the first time since before COVID, and apparently I've been grinding my teeth so hard in my sleep that I cracked one of my crowns. (Yikes?) They scheduled me for a follow-up to replace the crown and I have one more follow-up, two weeks from now, to pick up the nightguard they are making for me to protect my teeth from having this happen again.

Nice! I'm glad to hear you're getting what you need. I mean, not great that you cracked a crown, but if you can get stuff fixed, that's better than leaving it.

Goal 1: 7/13

Goal 2: 10/13

Welp, managed my studies and my writing yesterday. Fairly easy, actually - I block out my lunch time for study while eating and then do some writing once I've got my cases done for the day. I suspect my next challenge will be about getting more words done, but that's something for next challenge. Showing up consistently is the first step.

The study, BTW, doesn't feel strenuous to me, just because it's reading about and steeping myself in subjects that I think are interesting, and in its way it's actually a break from the job.

Yesterday otherwise didn't really present much. I did my GST when I got back. The beginner program finally showed me what they call "The Daily Limber," which is a stretch sequence referenced by the GST/MMA blended program. It's exciting to find myself growing towards bits and bobs and pieces of the puzzle, and I think that with my shift in schedule, I'll be able to get out on the mats more, and that's going to give me an honest look at what my long term strategy is going to look like. Also, I'm pleased to report that a lot of body pain that I'd just resigned myself to being used to has resolved, which I didn't expect at all. I thought the GST folks were overrating themselves. Turns out, no they weren't.

I'm also pleased to report that I've returned to eating maintenance calories and seem to be holding steady where I am without any kind of extra/excessive training to trim off body fat or whatever. That's exciting. Hopefully that means more energy for mat time, which I'll be getting back to since I've got patched uniforms now. :D

And, uh, yeah. I think that's it for now. My folks were in town today, so I went out to lunch with them, which was a good time. Now to my training.

• Like 4

Goal 1: 11/17

Goal 2: 12/17

Quick update since I'm about to get out the door.

Saturday was a nice day after lunch with my folks. Did my training like I said I would. Did not do either my homework or my research like I told myself I would. Chilling out just seemed more interesting to me, so that's what I did.

Sunday wasn't notable for much either, thankfully, although I did my research and did my writing again.

Monday, I had the time to do my research, but job got in the way of writing. But OTOH, I was able to get back out on the mats again (Finally!) and also decided to start in on the GST/MMA program. So yesterday doesn't feel like it was bad by any stretch.

Which brings me to today. It's another night off the mats, but it'll be with friends, so it's desirable. Did my homework and my writing both, since the job gave me the space I needed for that.

And that's that for now!

• Like 4

Goal 1: 14/20

Goal 2: 16/20

Um, so the past few days have been decent from a goals perspective and from a life perspective, but not necessarily from a mats perspective. I had to get my taxes done and that actually took up both my Wednesday and Thursday nights. Friday was a day off because of Good Friday, but I slept in too late for mat time around noon, and I got to hang with my Resident Writer friend in the afternoon into the evening, which I wanted to do, and finally got to pick her brain about how she differentiates voice in characters. She gave me some good advice. It's up to me to follow it, now.

Had my first iteration of a week's worth of GST/MMA and I must say, it feels pretty good so far. At this point, it's really a matter of dialing it in and customizing it around what I can actually do, since a big mistake I made last time was forcing myself to attempt movements and positions I really wasn't ready for. A particular point of limitation right now is the flexibility series; this program incorporates stretch routines to develop a Front Split, a Middle Split, and a Thoracic Bridge (which is kind of like a yoga bridge except the legs are extended out and the bend is more concentrated in the thoracic spine rather than the thoracolumbar region). Some of what they want you to do to get into these positions is stuff I can't do, either because I'm not capable yet, or because I don't have the equipment for it. This latter frustrates me because it puts me up against limitations of budget and space, which I'm not too pleased about.

Then again, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. The other flexibility/mobility stuff is tied to rehab and lighter/easier versions of those exercises, and drilling down into and focusing on those things may in fact be more beneficial while I work on cleaning up and remaking this space I live in now.

I went out to breakfast with my folks this morning. Brother and I got drafted into some home improvement work for my parents. They want to replace the deck out back of their place, and all the pros are too pricey for what they want to do. So, guess I'm going to be spending my Sundays for the next however long doing work for my folks, with help from Brother as he's available and interested in coming in. Always nice to lose a day off. -_-

ETA: to be clear, if I'm frank about it, it's actually really good to be helping him out. Dunno how many of you know this by now, but my dad has lived through a heart attack and he's an 80-year old man. He really shouldn't be doing the kind of work he's going to have me doing, and if we can't get a pro to do this, then it should be me, and for my part, I genuinely don't mind when I think about it. If it sounds like I'm blaming someone for costing me some time, I am: I blame the contractors. If they weren't charging so much, Dad could have worked through them instead, but they priced him out, and he does want/need this done, so it falls to me. I dunno why they gotta do us like that, although I suspect it's tied to the housing bubble and them figuring out "what the market can bear."

It's not something I know anything about, though. Does make wonder.

Anyway, I already know for a fact that I'm not going to regret spending time with him, and it'll be good to be up and about rather than sitting around wasting time watching the same comfort media over and over again.

• Like 4

I think a lot of the construction price is supply and demand. Everything went dormant the first year of Covid, including harvesting lumber. Then the demand for housing skyrocketed because people wanted to get out of cities. There was the back-up of normal demand plus new housing construction plus supply chain problems with materials. No surprise that prices are way up.

I hope you get to have some fun working with your dad and brother on the deck.

Level 62  Viking paladin

On 4/17/2022 at 3:37 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A big part of the cost of having a deck done is the insane price of lumber 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:11 AM, Mistr said:

I think a lot of the construction price is supply and demand. Everything went dormant the first year of Covid, including harvesting lumber. Then the demand for housing skyrocketed because people wanted to get out of cities. There was the back-up of normal demand plus new housing construction plus supply chain problems with materials. No surprise that prices are way up.

Yeah, that's part of it. They apparently explained to my folks that between supply costs and people choosing to sit on property rather than move - our market is insane right now - that they're drowning in work. So not only is the price high, but the delay is long too. Dad found that to be unacceptable, so now it falls to me and my brother. Mostly me, since I have some control over my schedule that my brother does not have.

Goal 1: 21/27

Goal 2: 22/27

Well! I haven't meant to be distant or anything, but I've had my nose to the grindstone pretty hard this challenge. Feels like every moment of every day of the past week has been taken by something, and I've been working the job pretty hard. For better or for worse, I find the prospect of returning to work from home to be very compelling, if for no other reason than that it makes my life a lot less complicated. The commute and time in office together represent a bigger logistical hurdle than I'd originally planned, and it's costing me a lot in terms of keeping up my place and doing drills and practice. Also, the job is trying to be difficult: they want to prioritize a bunch of cases that aren't important and won't help me get back to work from home, but I have to at least look like I'm doing something about it. It means recalibrating my work, which is always dicey but I think I can skip the part where everything blows up for a few months.

It feels like it's been hard to get back to the mats this week. Monday and Tuesday were nights off on account of chores and social time, so I didn't really get back until Wednesday, and the school was in prep mode for tourney this weekend so the training was pretty hard. As a rule, I don't mind, but I've picked up some rust again and so I spent a lot of time getting submitted rather than actually accomplishing much.

There was a training win on Friday in that I was able to make it out to the striking class, which does have sparring! But I wasn't cleared for it because I have to attend a requisite amount of courses, so I got stuck on drills again.

Went out to brunch with my folks today since they'll be out of town on the 30th. Dad asked me to take a week off of work in May to come work on the house with him. That, frankly, is going to suck. But I couldn't tell him no. So, I have some complications to navigate now to try to mitigate that. We'll see how it all shakes out.

In juggling news, I managed a very sloppy three ball cascade for the first time today! Which is exciting and makes me happy. I've also begun to get some solid thoughts down about what I want my magic systems to look like, which is neatly solving both the writing and research goals at the same time. I still feel like there's a ton more to know, but it's not intimidating. Feels more like finding a new place to explore. It's fun.

Anyway, I gotta hit my goals tonight and then get down for tomorrow. Because there's more work to do at my folks' place. Gotta do work to get ready for work to be done. Cool. Cool cool cool.

• Like 3

Goal 1: 28/34

Goal 2: 28/34

And another week down.

Something I didn't plan on when I made the adjustment to my schedule was just how busy it would make me. Basically, from 7:30 in the morning to 8:30 at night, I don't really have a single idle moment. I'm either working to get ready to work, or else I'm working. The result is a kind of paradox where the days crawl and the weeks fly, because there's no real break or delineation in which I can pause and look at things, at least not until the weekend. And since Dad's basically commandeered one of those days, really, I only get one day to kind of pause and breathe and rest.

It is what it is.

At least the goals have been getting managed. I managed to clear the 80% to earn my win condition, even with the added complication of a second goal, which is nice. I've been able to develop my story and its world to a higher degree than I had previously, and I figured out some things about my characters in the process that I think are going to make them livelier and more distinct. That has to be practiced and applied, of course, and I'm still working on how to do that in the middle of everything else I'm doing, but it's shaping up well.

I don't really know what my goals are for the next challenge. Not sure what's constructive at this point. I'm not saying everything's great right now, but I don't really know what adjustments to make, or really what's even realistic given what the next couple months are looking like. I suspect a meditation challenge is coming, but I'm open to other stuff too as it comes.

• Like 2

Sounds like you have optimized your schedule to a point where you can achieve your goals, but at the cost of having breaks during the day. It seems to be working for you, so keep testing it for another six weeks.

Maybe your next challenge could look at rest and relaxation. You are pushing hard on your training and work. Self-care might be a good thing to emphasize.

• Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

On 5/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mistr said:

Sounds like you have optimized your schedule to a point where you can achieve your goals, but at the cost of having breaks during the day. It seems to be working for you, so keep testing it for another six weeks.

Maybe your next challenge could look at rest and relaxation. You are pushing hard on your training and work. Self-care might be a good thing to emphasize.

Y'know, I actually feel the same way. You'll see soon!