Bike Adventuring General Thread!

Whether you're a bikepacker, gravel grinder, suburban cruiser, pavement pounder, triathlete, or urban commuter, if you ride on two human-powered wheels (E-Bikes welcome!) I want to hear from you!

• What kind of bike do you ride?

• Tell me about your favorite ride

• What kind of riding are you interested in?

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 8  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

Hello Conquius.  I’ve mostly been off the bike for the last couple of years because of long Covid. Before the pandemic my focus was marathon mountain biking.  I’d like to get back into it this year.  

I have a few bikes, but I mostly ride a Ritchey P-29 (steel hard tail).  I have gravel tires on it right now for urban cruising and base miles.  I’m seriously considering selling my stuff off and simplifying to just this bike (or a different hard tail) and having two or three wheel sets for different rides.  

This will sound cheesy, but as long as I’m outside and the weather is good I really enjoy whatever ride I’m doing and that my favorite ride.  I mostly put in zone 2 road miles or mountain bike on metro trails.  

What kind of bike adventuring are you doing.  

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m seriously considering selling my stuff off and simplifying to just this bike (or a different hard tail) and having two or three wheel sets for different rides.  

I've thought about the same thing. My last bike (which I still have) is a Surly Cross-Check, and I thought about just swapping out different wheelsets for different uses.

as long as I’m outside and the weather is good I really enjoy whatever ride I’m doing and that my favorite ride.

Good answer B)

What kind of bike adventuring are you doing.  

I'm just coming off some Pretty Big Bike Tours from 2021, all either Pavement or Rail Trails. Right now I'm doing a lot of trail riding around DC on my Disc Trucker, and I'm scoping out how I could commute to my new job (about 8-10 miles each way). I used to commute when I was in high school, and I loved it as a built-in way to get miles.

Next proper bike adventure is probably RAGBRAI in July. I'm also thinking about converting my Surly Cross-Check into more of a Gravel Grinder and trying gravel / bikepacking.

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 8  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."