KCAleece on the Road to Recovery

Well, I'm late, but at least I'm here?

Mixed bag of news - we found out why I've been so sick! My Crohn's disease, which normally only forms blockages, decided to form the tiniest little fistula this time (think like a little tube coming out of my intestines in a place where there should not be any tubes) that was too small to be seen on the imaging we'd done, but was plenty big enough to allow all kinds of gut bacteria and related bugs to escape and take up residence in my abdominal wall, festering into a whole series of infections and eventually a large abscess. Back at the start of March, when I was having daily unexplained fevers that got frighteningly high (all the way up to 104.3 at one point), they found the abscess - which at that point had grown to be about the size of a baseball - but the draining procedure failed and they tried hard to throw strong antibiotics at it for the few bacteria they had been able to identify in hopes of pushing off more drastic measures.

Unfortunately, that failed as well, and on March 22nd I was readmitted for surgery. They cut out several inches of diseased colon on either side of the fistula and cleared out the abscess as best as they could, taking a bunch of cultures along the way that helped us identify a few more bacteria and a yeast that were missed in the original drainage attempt. Post-surgery complications, including more fevers (which turned out to be mostly drug fever, a reaction to one of the antibiotics they had me on, though I still get a low fever every couple of days for unknown reasons, most likely related to the fact I haven't finished my antibiotics or antifungal meds yet so there's probably some hold-out bacteria/yeast trying to fight back) and a bit of internal bleeding where they had to sew my colon back together had me in the hospital until April 7th when normally I would have been discharged around March 28th. 

But now I'm back home and on the road to recovery! There are still challenges ahead but I should be on the downhill part of all of this basically as soon as May hits - so, right as this challenge ends. That should get me past all the doctor follow-ups and hopefully on new meds to stop this from happening again, past my thesis due date (April 29th), past a lot of work nonsense with EOC exams and contract signings, etc. etc. It might be a tough month, especially since I'm starting it behind - I didn't exactly do a whole lot of work while I was in the hospital - but I'm optimistic! A few more weeks of nose to the grindstone and I'll finally be at the point I've spent the last several years working towards. I can do this, even if it sucks sometimes!!

Quest One: Movement

I'm actually current banned from "working out on purpose", as the surgeon put it, but mobility is medicine and sitting on my butt all day long isn't good for me either. I've lowered my step goal on my watch to 1,000 steps a day just as a way to make sure I'm not spending too much time on the couch/in bed, which I think should be a pretty reasonable goal for just like minimal taking care of myself and my house type movement. This might change as I try it out - I just came up with that last night, so haven't actually figured out if it's a good goal or not - but it's 4:45 and I'm currently at 606 steps despite not doing a heck of a lot and taking a nap earlier, so it might be a good number.

Quest Two: Nutrition

This is very arguably the single most important quest of this challenge for me. Not only did I lose more weight in the hospital - came home at 125, which is only 7 pounds away from medically underweight, and I can see many of my bones including almost all my ribs - but almost all my doctors have various nutritional recommendations for me to help me heal and regain my strength. I feel like I've been eating a lot, but my husband says I eat less than I think I do, so I'm not only going to record everything I eat on a daily basis so I can make sure it's enough, but also to make sure I can reach the goals my doctors have set for me. Most of these are fairly vague - like, no one has given me exact calorie counts or grams of macros to hit or anything like that - but hopefully having a food dairy will help us quantify some of those things more specifically if needed.

Goals for my daily entries:
1) at least 64 ounces of water or other fluids a day (I can count juice and milk towards this, according to the doc)
2) "substantially increase" my protein intake - I'm shooting for at least one source of protein in at least 2 meals a day, preferably more, plus I'm also routinely adding high protein supplements - in my case, Boost (but maybe not quite daily, because they're expensive)
3) start off low-fiber because it's easier on the intestines, but can slowly increase this over the course of the month if my guts respond well

4) make sure I eat at least 3 meals a day or the vague equivalent because it's often easier on my guts to eat multiple small plates rather than a big meal - I'm not tracking calories but I want to be able to say, "yeah, that's a good amount of food for an adult woman to eat in one day"

Quest Three: School

I mostly mean grad school here, but also the school I work at. I need to finish my thesis and create my final portfolio presentation for my defense. For work I need to do my daily lesson plans of course, catch up on my grading, sign my contract for next year, and ideally start one my curriculum re-organization but let's be honest, that's probably not going to happen in April.

Overall large goals:
1) thesis section 7 (2 halves)
2) thesis lit review
3) reflection essay for portfolio
4) website and handout for portfolio
5) I think I might have to do a video or something as well?
6) catch up on class discussions
7) catch up on grading (currently only graded through February 21st in Spanish 2 and February 15th in Spanish 3)
8 ) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans (currently don't even know what we're doing on Monday)

Quest Four: Hobbies

But all work and no play makes KCAleece a grumpy, bitchy lady. To help keep my sanity, I want to make sure I'm making at least a minimal amount of time for myself. While I was in the hospital, I desperately was dreaming about getting back to quilting, so I want to get some time to work on my kid's quilt. I also enjoy watching certain YouTube channels (is that really a hobby? Questionable) and I want to keep up with my manicures. Also I have really been missing cooking and baking. So my goal is that I can say I did 2 hobby things every week - for example if I did a manicure and baked cookies, or watched a YouTube video and also worked on my son's quilt. It won't be a daily thing, but I'd like to think I can fit in 2 things every week to feel like I'm still getting "me time" (which I often don't feel like I am).

A few specific goals I'd like to hit with this:
1) my son's quilt is done through row 11, so I'd like to finish at least row 12 
2) I always make lemon crinkle cookies for May Day, so I want to do that at the end of the challenge
3) I'm still working through my untried nail polishes  and want to use at least 2 of them this challenge (manicure or pedicure is fine)

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Tackles Third Trimester

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

April 9th:

1,000 steps hit around 6pm! 1,343 total right before bed.

I feel like I ate a ton today!! Today's meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled eggs with cheese, slices of apple bratwurst, and a chocolate chip pancake
Lunch - hard boiled egg, string cheese, a small bowl of Lucky Charms eaten dry
Afternoon snack - two pieces of garlic bread, handful of small Easter chocolates
Dinner - cottage pie, a small handful of cracker, 3 rolls of smarties candies

Water - 82 ounces and half a milkshake

Progress: handout for portfolio made, introductions for 2.5 out of 3 website pages (in this section) written, 1/5 discussions answered

nothing to report

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! Wow, sounds like you had some big health issues. Glad you are on the mend

Thanks! We assumed it was some kind of infection when I started having fevers but weren't prepared for it to be quite this big of a deal. It made sense as soon as we figure it out though, because my Crohn's medications that should be stopping this kind of thing from happening were changing (the old ones stopped working and we're still in the process of figuring out a new regimen that'll work as well as the old one did). And in some ways, I know how Crohn's nonsense goes so I kinda feel like, "oh, okay, it's just this again, I know what to do with this!" even though it's acting differently than it has in the past. Better the devil you know sometimes, right? I'm just glad I'm not adding on to my list of diagnoses! 

April 10th:

1,000 steps hit around 4:30pm on account of taking my kid to tee-ball practice. Total right before bed: 1600. This might be why I ended up taking an extra pain pill.

I feel like I ate less, but still a good amount. Meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and a leftover chocolate chip pancake
Lunch - a soft pretzel with cheese sauce and 6 dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets (hey, I have a 4 year old!)
Afternoon snack - none
Dinner - 1.5 slices of pork tenderloin with about 1/4 of an avocado and a few bites of Mac and cheese

Before bedtime snack with meds - 2 small wedges of brie

Water - 68 ounces of water and a large mug of milk (unsure on capacity...maybe 10-12 ounces?)

Progress: 1 website page complete, lesson plans made for Monday at least

nothing to report

• Like 1

April 11th:

1,000 steps hit around 9am - whoops? I was even trying not to walk around too much at work, but I guess I failed, especially early in the morning. I ended up taking pains pills at lunch despite saying I wasn't going to at work, then spent the evening super grumpy despite trying not to be. Total right before bed: 3,520 steps.

I feel like I ate a lot of small plates today, but that's actually good for my guts so I'm alright with it! Trying to lean into it when I feel hungry too since I've been having problems with appetite (for about a week after my surgery, I could eat perfectly fine, like without pain or anything, but just plain didn't want to eat anything ever). Today's meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg and sausage wrap 
Snack during plan period: a fun size Crunch bar and a small handful of cashews
Lunch - a container of strawberry Greek yogurt and a few bites of leftover mac and cheese
After school snack - string cheese with 2 slices of garlic bread
Dinner - a chicken taco with a side of Cheetos followed by a chocolate chip cookie

Before bedtime snack with meds - a vanilla cupcake

Water - 40 ounces + about 10 ounces of gatorade and 8 ounces of milk (58 ounces of liquid total, whomp whomp)

Lesson plans and copies made for Tuesday, Spanish 3 lesson prepped for Wednesday (yay tiny buffer!), 2/5 discussions replied to, portfolio reflection essay discovered and started (about 1/3 of the way through drafting)

nothing to report

• Like 1

April 12th:
I've been grumpy as heck today! Ugh, I don't even have a good reason why. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

1,000 steps hit around 10:30am - still early, but getting better. I took a single pain pill around the same time though for general discomfort and had to take another one around dinner due to walking to/from tee-ball practice again (we do drive, but the parking lot is pretty far from the field). Total right before bed: 3,150 steps.

Today was a difficult day for eating, but I tried. It got a bit better around dinner time. Today's meals:
Snack during plan period: a chocolate chip muffin
Lunch - half a Tupperware of leftover mac and cheese
After school snack - a (pretty good size) bag of dry Lucky Charms and a Boost
Dinner - a good sized piece of breaded chicken with white rice

Before bedtime snack with meds - 2 pieces of garlic bread with 2 small pieces of brie and a chocolate chip cookie

Water - 68 ounces water plus a small amount of milk (6 ounces total maybe?)

Lesson plans for Spanish 2 done through Thursday (our last day this week, yay Easter despite being a public school...) and Spanish 3 through Tuesday next week

nothing to report

• Like 1

April 13th:

Posted late because I basically collapsed last night. According to my husband, I was whimpering in my sleep most of the night. I'm mostly just exhausted - thank the gods I don't have to work tomorrow, because I could really use some rest. Today (April 14th) is going to be super busy though and I'm not looking forward to it :( 

1,000 steps hit stupid early, like 7:15am. Not sure what my total was but it was definitely well over 3,000.

Yesterday was super up and down with eating. The meals:
Snack during plan period: 2 grasshopper cookies and a small handful of cashews
Lunch - ham and cheese sandwich with an oatmeal cream pie
After school snack - yet another bag of dry Lucky Charms and a Boost
Dinner - 2 pieces of pizza (pepperoni, bacon, and mushroom) with 2 pieces of garlic bread

Water - somewhere around 50 ounces, not 100% sure

This morning's weigh-in was all the way up to 128.4! I'm willing to say that's all or mostly water weight at this point, but it's still nice to see the number go up a little.

work: 1st and 2nd hour grading caught up through March 4th
grad school: discussions 3 & 4 out of 5 done, lit review almost entirely drafted, made agreement with advisor to drop section 7 of the thesis (may take a slight deferment to finish anyway, but I'm trying hard to avoid that!)

nothing to report

• Like 1

Woops, sorry guys! I completely forgot to tell you all that I was going to be incommunicado for a few days - Easter weekend is the unofficial opening for our family camping season, so we were off to state park #6 for the long weekend. Only 33 left, hahaha. We came back yesterday but I didn't get anything posted because I was trying to catch up on grad school - those final due dates are coming up FAST!!! - and had two doctor follow-ups since I've been discharged from the hospital for close to 2 weeks now. Good news is that the surgeon thinks I'm healing much faster than expected, yay! Bad news is he's still projecting 4-6 more weeks until I feel completely "healed" from the surgery itself. Also pathology found a tiny tumor in the chunk of Crohn's diseased colon they took out, but it was benign so...yay for not having cancer on top of all this? And the ID doc was mostly just happy that I finished my meds and haven't had any more unexplained fevers. Now I get to make an appointment with my GI for my final "check" and start some new meds so this hopefully doesn't happen again!!

As far as my challenge, over the camping weekend I definitely overdid the movement, underdid the protein and water, and did very little school work. Woops? At least I'm counting it for both of my "personal hobby time" checkmarks because despite the challenges - the mornings being way colder than we expected, forgetting my son's pillow which made him super whiny, the fact I accidentally burned dinner on evening 1 which led to overeating breakfast the next morning which led to running out of eggs earlier than expected, doing the shortest hike in the entire park (which was only 0.8 miles but probably still not the smartest decision I've ever made even though we did make it, and only a few minutes slower than they projected for that trail!) - it was honestly the least stressed I've been in months, maybe all the way since last summer, and that's no exaggeration. Camping is just good for the soul :) 

But I can tell you more about April 18!:

1,000 steps hit reasonably late, vaguely around 3pm. I was pretty happy with that! Total for the day was still 2,334 but that was mostly walking to and from the car at the doctor appointments as well as taking my son to his ninja class (much shorter walk than tee-ball, but still enough to add more steps than staying at home).

Yesterday was mostly not a great eating day, I have to admit. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - pumpkin muffin
Lunch - 4 dinosaur chicken nuggets, a piece of bologna, and a few bites of leftover mac and cheese
Pre-ninja class car snack - Boost and another piece of bologna
Dinner - 1 slice of leftover pizza, the crust off my son's slice of pizza, and 4 vanilla sandwich cookies

Water - about 58 ounces, super close but a touch under goal

Weigh-in at the surgeon was 127. Hopefully that's just down to differing scales - I've been trying to do my home weigh-ins on Wednesdays since that's actually the "X week since I came home" mark and Lord knows I'll waste time obsessing over every little fluctuation if I check it daily, so we'll see what my scale says tomorrow. 

Overall list check-in and update!
Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - draft done, but in SEVERE need of edits
4) website and handout for portfolio
5) video script and recording
6) thesis reflection essay

7) catch up on class discussions - only 1 left!

Work:

8 ) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is still at February 15th, all Spanish 2 courses (1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 8th hours) are caught up through March 4th
9 ) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - had one going, killed it off over the end of last week/camping weekend, am hoping to get a new one going again

10) finish some very necessary admin work for next year (sign contract, enroll in benefits, etc.)

Yesterday morning I finally did a new manicure. My last one survived incredibly well - only two small chips between March 22nd, when I did it, and Easter Sunday when I finally took it off (almost 4 weeks of wear!!) but it was starting to chip just a little and the nail growth was looking silly too. I was going to do a green manicure for spring, but I'm going to try to do a green manicure for my grad school graduation (because duh, I'm graduating from MSU, Go Green!) and chances are I'll wear this one for at least a week but most probably 2, and I don't like doing the same color twice in a row. So I went with a nice medium toned orange and topped it with a very light coat of gold sparkles just for fun :) I'll have to count again soon but my stash of "never tried on yet" polishes is visibly much smaller than when I started tracking, which is really nice to see too!

• Like 1

Glad you got a chance to go camping and had a good time.  Do you tent camp or trailer camp?  I always find cooking on camp stoves really hard. It's always either under or over done. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 4/19/2022 at 10:29 AM, Elastigirl said:

Glad you got a chance to go camping and had a good time.  Do you tent camp or trailer camp?  I always find cooking on camp stoves really hard. It's always either under or over done. 

Thanks! Since we usually go Easter weekend, this has been in the plans since early February, so I was getting a little worried in the hospital that I wouldn't be up to it. I'm so glad that we managed after all! We go tent camping, though the last few years (since my son was born) we've only been doing state parks with what I'd call "car camping" grounds, where you're parked right next to your tent, they provide the firepit and a picnic bench, the next people over are only like 10 yards away and you're only a few minute's walk from a full blown bathroom with showers, toilets, sinks, etc. There are 39 such parks in Missouri and our goal is to camp at every single one of them :) Previously, I preferred what I call "baby backcountry camping", where I'd go to to state or national parks or reservoirs that had dedicated backcountry areas. It's just kind of a wide open area, usually only a few square miles (like maybe 10 or less at most of these places) where they don't provide anything more than a single outhouse and a map, but it's still a managed campground if you need anything like more firewood, help from a ranger, etc. But my husband wasn't used to that and thought the car camping spots were better for a little one, so that's what started the "camp in every state park that allows tents" goal!

We always do the classics, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire, but there are only so many hot dogs I can eat in a row before I start hating meals, so I decided to try making pulled chicken nachos over the fire (using the foil pouch method) and, well, it's been a long time since I tried cooking anything in a foil pouch and I guess I lost the touch. Good idea, poor execution. Maybe I'll have to practice over the fire pit in our backyard ;) 

April 19th:

1,000 steps hit early, around 9am. Welcome back to work I guess? Total for the day was 3,625 which is...too high. Like, really me? I'm thinking about bumping my goal up to 1,750 (because I couldn't decide between 1,500 and 2,000) which I've surpassed every day anyway, but try to also add in a cap. Like, no more than 3,000 maybe? It's hard to hit that sweet spot of moving enough but not overdoing it, especially when I really feel like I'm trying to minimize steps already! I really need to find some time to sit down and plan life out more strategically I guess...

Yesterday was better for protein at least but probably not the best overall. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - sausage and egg wrap
Lunch - ham and cheese sandwich with 3 smarties candies
After school snack - a string cheese and a chocolate pudding cup

Before tee-ball snack - 2 pieces of garlic bread and a Boost
Dinner - white rice with some breaded chicken breast and 4 vanilla sandwich cookies

Water - even closer yesterday but still a bit short, think it was around 60 ounces which is extra annoying in retrospect

Weigh-in this morning was 127.4. Mildly disappointing, but I knew last week's weight had to be at least partly water weight. I'd be thrilled if I really did gain two pounds in two weeks!

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - edit started, currently through the first 1,100 words
4) website and handout for portfolio

7) catch up on class discussions - technically should respond to others, but most folks don't have their answers up yet for me to do so

8 ) peer review of portfolios

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to February 28th, all Spanish 2 courses (1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 8th hours) are caught up through March 4th
10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - Spanish 3 is prepped through tomorrow, but Spanish 2 is prepped through Friday

11) finish some very necessary admin work for next year (sign contract, enroll in benefits, etc.)

Yesterday I had to do way more laundry than expected (thanks, health problems) and ended up cutting out a few pieces for row #12 of the quilt while I was down there because I left all my cutting supplies in the laundry room last time. No actual sewing though and I really should have ironed at least one of those pieces first (which is actually why they were in there, because that's where the iron is) but I didn't have time to set it up and wait for it to heat up and all of that right then and there. Oh well.

• Like 1

Whew! Yesterday was rough - I was exhausted basically as soon as I got home, so I wasn't nearly as productive as I should have been - and today I'm already on the struggle bus yet again due to nightmares and general malaise. Hoping part of it could be my monthly cycle coming back, as that's due soon and it disappeared when the surgery happened? Maybe? Just maybe?

Update for April 20:

1,000 steps hit later than I expected, I think it was closer to noon. Total for the day was still 2,681 but I'm happy for a day under 3,000!

Yesterday was...not good. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - sausage and egg wrap
Lunch - breaded chicken breast with a string cheese
After school snack - Lost this note but I think it was Lucky Charms and some vanilla sandwich cookies
Dinner - mac and cheese with hot dog cut up into it

Water - finally a day I got this! Total for yesterday was about 76 ounces plus somewhere around 6 ounces of milk

Grad school:
4) website and handout for portfolio - down to only 2.5 pages to finish on the website

7) catch up on class discussions - technically should respond to others, but most folks don't have their answers up yet for me to do so

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to February 28th, all Spanish 2 courses (1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 8th hours) are caught up through March 4th
10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - all classes prepped through tomorrow and I'm currently about halfway to being done with Monday's lessons

11) finish some very necessary admin work for next year (sign contract, enroll in benefits, etc.)

Nothing to report

Take it easy and listen to your body when it tells you to slow down. It is trying to heal from a major infection and surgery.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 4/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, Elastigirl said:

Take it easy and listen to your body when it tells you to slow down. It is trying to heal from a major infection and surgery.

True, true. I'm definitely struggling with balancing that with grad school in particular right now. They gave me extensions on the due dates while I was in the hospital, but they can't exactly move graduation, and I'm super not excited to add on an entire 'nother semester (not to mention the much smaller issue of we've already paid for a bunch of expenses for me to walk in May). But I also don't want to run myself so far down that I just end up back in the hospital again! Even my doctor said that in an ideal world, I wouldn't be back at work yet, but he also fully understands things like running out of PTO (which I did less than a week into my hospital stay). There simply aren't enough hours in the day, for real!

Late post today, but here's the summary for April 21:

1,000 steps hit late again, around 1pm. I was kinda proud of myself! Total for the day was 2,996. I've kinda set this idea in my head that I'm trying to stay under 3,000 whenever possible (preview of tomorrow's post: I have BLOWN past that goal today :( though for good reasons like having to go to special work presentations on the other side of campus) so even though I was only 4 steps short, I was happy to see that total last night!

Yesterday was a little better than the day before, but not by a lot. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - pumpkin muffin
Plan period snack - crunchy Cheetos (I don't know what magic is in these things, but for some reason they're super gentle on my belly??) 
Lunch - breaded chicken breast with a chocolate pudding cup
After school snack - 4 smarties candies and a hard boiled egg
Dinner - a chicken enchilada without the beans (beans are great for protein but are a bit too fiber-y for my belly quite yet)
Bedtime snack - 2 small slices of brie

Water - barely made this, around 66 ounces

Grad school:

7) catch up on class discussions - technically should respond to others, but most folks don't have their answers up yet for me to do so

Work:

10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - all classes prepped through Tuesday next week

Nothing to report

• Like 1

Late post again today due to working on my thesis all afternoon...but here's April 22:

1,000 steps hit a bit early due to a doctor appointment and stop by the gas station before heading to work - about 9:30am. And as mentioned yesterday, I WAY overdid the steps anyway with a total of 4,255 by the end of the day. 😥 Between work, those special presentations I referenced (2 of them, and not in the same place either!), a Walmart stop because my husband injured his heel and could barely walk without wraps and painkillers, and general life...yeah, it was a high movement day.

Obviously we'll see what my total ends up being today but so far it has been a very low movement day, so maybe it'll balance out!

Yesterday, my eating was largely driven by my stress and emotions. The meals:
Plan period snack - doughnut from the gas station
Lunch - a string cheese and about 5 M&Ms (from a plastic  Easter egg). Literally, that was it 😳
After school snack -  another doughnut from the gas station
Dinner - 2 pieces of garlic bread with 5 chicken strips (fairly big chicken strips, to be fair to me)

Water - was waaaaaaaay short at around 45 ounces total

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - continued but didn't get very far yesterday, only to about 1300 words

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to February 28th, all Spanish 2 courses are caught up through March 4th
10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - Spanish 2 prepped through Tuesday, Spanish 3 (minus one set of listening questions) prepped through Thursday!

Nothing to report

Oh no! I usually start writing my posts the day before so I don't forget certain things, but for some reason it got deleted last night :( So here's my best attempt at remembering yesterday, April 23:

Super low movement day, yay for lots of grad school work? Hahaha I hit 1,000 steps super late, like my kid was going to bed type late, so probably around 8 or 8:30pm. Total for the day was only 1,173!

I did a terrible job of eating until the late afternoon yesterday, oops. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg with about half an apple brat
Lunch - none...oops
Mid-afternoon "oh crap I missed lunch" snack - 2 pieces of bologna with 2 pieces of garlic bread
Dinner - hamburger with sweet potato fries and 2 chocolate crinkle cookies (thawed from frozen Christmas baking as I really need to clean out the garage freezer)

Bedtime snack with late meds - 3 pieces of very runny brie, a small pile of club crackers to help contain the runny brie, and 2 more chocolate crinkle cookies

Water - was way short again due to having a vanilla Diet Coke from the convenience store (one of my favorite treats, since vanilla Diet Coke no longer exists in cans)...think I got something around 50 ounces?

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - up to 2,033 words

7) catch up on class discussions and responses 

8 ) peer review of portfolios - contacted professor for help, as the website is returning a 404 error

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to February 28th, Spanish 2 (1st, 2nd, and 6th hours) are at March 4th, Spanish 2 (7th and 8th hours) are now through March 14th
10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - Spanish 2 prepped through Tuesday, Spanish 3 (minus one set of listening questions) prepped through Thursday!

I bought some lemon juice powder to hopefully improve my May Day lemon crinkle cookies (I never think they taste lemon-y enough, but adding more lemon juice just makes the batter way too runny). Had to pay for the expedited shipping though because I'm late enough it wasn't going to get here until May 2nd, UGH.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness you guys...so I have one of those calendars in my kitchen where you tear off each day as you go and this morning I thought, "oh no, I tore off too many pages at once! It's not the 25th yet!" ...It totally is the 25th. I only have until the 29th to finish everything for grad school or I don't graduate next week. 😱 AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Anyway, here's the update for yesterday, April 24th :):

Hit 1,000 steps much earlier yesterday, at 2:30 (right after tee-ball practice, why is that not a surprise!) but I still kept my total low at 1,725. I'm super happy for two low movement days in a row, even if it is due to grad school!

Yesterday I did a better job of eating than the last few days before that, but improvement is definitely still possible. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - cheesy scrambled egg with 3 pieces of bacon and 2 pieces of toast
Lunch - 5 chicken strips (though admittedly 3 of them were really small)
Mid-afternoon snack - 4 lemon Oreos
Dinner - 2 pieces of pepperoni and mushroom pizza with a Reese's egg

Water - so the reason I keep falling short here is because it's hard enough to drink 64 ounces of anything, but if I drink anything besides water (like my morning coffee, which is no longer upsetting my tummy so I've picked it back up) then I feel like that much water is just way too much!! Yesterday I only got to about 46 ounces of water.

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - up to 3,072 words (only 2 subsections left, then whatever edits my advisor wants!)

8 ) peer review of portfolios - not sure what I'll do here...the professor says they're all working except for one, but that's totally not the case on my end??

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to February 28th, Spanish 2 (1st, 2nd, and 6th hours) are at March 4th, Spanish 2 (7th and 8th hours) are now through March 14th

Nothing to report

• Like 1

Ugh, going to be a busy one today. It's block scheduling at work (so you do every other class period for twice as long - like today you only teach classes 2, 4, 6, and 8 - but my plan period is hour 3 so no breaks for me today except our 19 minute lunch!), then I have to run to a doctor appointment, then my kid has tee-ball practice, then I have to stop by the store because we're running so low on a few of our staples that I legit don't think we can hobble through to our normal Saturday grocery runs (all things that either we forgot off the list last Saturday or were out of stock and we're hoping have been restocked in the days since). Let's see how much I can manage despite all of that!

But here's the official update for April 25th:

Hit 1,000 steps much earlier again, no surprise there. It was decent for a work day though, around 11am. Total for the day was 2,713.

Yesterday I did okay, I suppose. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg with sausage wrap
Plan period snack - Lucky Charms
Lunch - a slice of leftover pizza and a chocolate pudding
After school snack - 2 pieces of garlic bread and 2 pieces of bologna
Dinner - 5 or 6 chicken strips with leftover mac and cheese

Water - about 52 ounces, though I forgot to fill my labeled water bottle first thing that morning so that's a little bit of a best guesstimate

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - up to about 3,350 words (only the conclusion left, then whatever edits my advisor wants!)
5) video script and recording

8 ) peer review of portfolios - got 2 of them to work which is all I needed!

Work:

9) catch up on grading - Spanish 3 is up to March 22nd, Spanish 2 (6th and 7th hours) are at March 14th, Spanish 2 (1st and 2nd hours) are now through March 22nd *except for their speaking tests which I will grade ASAP once I get a few quiet minutes to listen to them without an audience, Spanish 2 (8th hour) is totally complete through March 22nd
10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - all classes prepped through Thursday

Nothing to report

• Like 1

Soooo mad at my boss right now! :angry: He's being a jerk about my grading and I'm SO over it. 

Update for April 26:

Hit 1,000 steps stupid early, like 8am. Total for the day was 3,431.

Good news here is that my GI said I can start doing "very gentle exercise as tolerated, don't push it" - he actually suggested going for walks in the neighborhood, which made me giggle a little bit since I've been worried about too many steps!

Yesterday I didn't have much time to eat during the day so I felt like I overdid it at night but when I look at the list of foods I ate, it's not nearly as long as I felt like it was. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg with sausage wrap
Lunch - a ham and cheese sandwich
After school snack - 2 pieces of bologna and 4 shortbread cookies
Dinner - 2 slices of leftover pizza, a cheese stick, and 5 vanilla cookies

Water - about 50 ounces again

This morning's weigh-in was all the way up to 129.2!! Hoping that's real weight, though I don't feel like I see or feel any difference in my body yet. I guess 4 pounds really isn't that much, but I've been fighting to gain since the fall so 4 pounds feels like a lot even if it's objectively not.

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review - up to about 3,350 words (only the conclusion left, then whatever edits my advisor wants!)

Work:

9) catch up on grading:
-Spanish 3 is DONE!!! Updated through April 26th, holy cow!!! (This is why I didn't get anything knocked off my grad school list yesterday, I was just getting something done here so my boss might back off a little)
-Spanish 2 (1st, 7th, and 8th hours) are completely done through March 25th
-Spanish 2 (2nd and 6th hour) is done through March 22nd minus the speaking tests

10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - Spanish 3 prepped through Thursday with Friday started, Spanish 2 done through Friday

Nothing to report

• Like 1

Y'all. I am so tired. Last night I was joking with my husband about just dropping out of grad school so I don't have to finish this damned thesis, that's how tired I am! But we're getting SOOOO close, and right in time too. Just two more days! I can do that, right? Just today and tomorrow?

Update for April 27th:

Hit 1,000 steps pretty early again, around 9:30. Total for the day was 3,384. But I was thinking about my GI giving me the go-ahead on gentle walks and decided to up my daily goal to 2,000. I've been hitting that almost every day anyway, but no harm in starting to get into a bit more of a movement mindset, right?

Yesterday I was in "whatever, I have more important things to think about, I'll eat whatever" mode - and honestly, I don't see that changing until Saturday. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg wrap, as we were out of crumble sausage
Lunch - garlic pasta shells
After school snack - just a Boost
Dinner - some orange chicken and white rice from Panda Express

Water - about 58 ounces, I was close!

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review  - turned in and just waiting to hear whatever edits my advisor wants!

Work:

9) catch up on grading:
-Spanish 3 is still done, I refuse to worry about "oh well they turned in one more paper since then" right now
-All Spanish 2 hours are updated through April 4th

10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - all classes prepped through Friday

Nothing to report, though my lemon juice powder should be delivered today!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcaleece said:

'all. I am so tired. Last night I was joking with my husband about just dropping out of grad school so I don't have to finish this damned thesis, that's how tired I am! But we're getting SOOOO close, and right in time too. Just two more days! I can do that, right? Just today and tomorrow?

You are almost to the top of the mountain! You can do it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

You are almost to the top of the mountain! You can do it. 

Ugh, it definitely feels like a mountain climb too! Don't worry, of course I wouldn't really drop out this late, but it is a little bit tempting when I'm this exhausted and still not quite done. And then I'm mildly grumpy about how I'll still have to spend the weekend grading and prepping sub plans (I'll be missing classes on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to go to my graduation) but hey, at least the worst bit is done, right?

20 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

amazing to read what you are going through/getting done! Good luck! sending tea and cookies! :) 

Awww, thank you! It's mostly a matter of not really having a choice - or at least that's how I push through it - but I always appreciate the encouragement :D And cookies!! Sugar and caffeine are definitely two of my best friends right now even if I know they're not healthy friends to have...

I am so brain dead, you guys. I am struggling to even know what language I'm teaching today. Everything is a hot mess and I'm just trying to survive. Head down, push through - today is THE day!!!

Update for April 28th:

After bumping up my goal to 2,000 steps, I didn't hit that goal until right after school around 2:45. My daily total was still 3,786 which surprises me - I didn't think I walked that much more after work, but apparently I did!

Yesterday (and today) I'm honestly just eating whatever I want/can. The meals:
Breakfast/brunch - scrambled egg wrap

"plan period" snack (eaten during class since I didn't have a plan period yesterday) - a gas station doughnut
Lunch - mostly skipped, just ate some Lucky Charms while working
After school snack - a second gas station doughnut and a string cheese
Dinner - mac and cheese

Water - next to nothing, I think my final amount was around 32 ounces.

Grad school:
2) thesis lit review  - started on edits but she got back to me really late so I didn't get very far
6) thesis reflection essay - technically started, but only barely (legit, I'm at like 20 words). It looks bad that I haven't gotten further and everything is due today, but it only has to be 1,000 words and is a lot less formal than the thesis itself, so I'm not horribly worried about my ability to slap this together last minute

Work:

9) catch up on grading:
-Spanish 3 is still done
-All Spanish 2 hours are updated through April 11th

10) ideally get a buffer going for lesson plans - Spanish 2 is only prepped through today but Spanish 3 is prepped through Tuesday

Nothing to report

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

So I'm sure most people have begun migrating over to the new challenge (which I do plan on joining, once I catch my breath and figure out what I want to do with it) but I thought it would be nice to say here as well that I DID indeed get everything for grad school turned in on Friday! I made it with about 40 minutes left to spare :) I'm willing to admit that reflection essay was not my bestest work ever, but it got done so I almost don't care.

And then I spent the entire weekend rebelling and refusing to do any work for school, plus trying to minimize screen time in general as best as I could. It's definitely back to the grind today - I still have tons of grading to catch up on and I need to get this entire week's lessons planned, prepped, and copied before Wednesday because I will be leaving to drive to graduation! - but I'm feeling SO much more energetic after my weekend of rebellion. And technically my advisor has until tonight to ask for edits or revisions but I miiiiight just be done with my entire graduate program!! Now I just need to wrap my brain around how to deal with that - it's weird that it feels weird, but it does? I mean, even my daily to-do list has started with my MAFLT program assignments for the last 3 years, so what do I put in that space now? 🤔