Greetings. Almost 40. Two kids. What the heck happened?

In college I rowed.  I backpacked.  I whitewater kayaked.  I ate and drank beer all. the. time.

Then I got a desk job and a house and kids and got tired all the time and that all faded away.  Then I got fat.  BMI over 40 fat.  My health stats are good for now (lipids, resting pulse, BP, sugar, etc), but I know that won't last.

My kids are twins, about to turn 5, and it breaks my heart when I run out of energy before they do when we go outside to play.  I want to be better for them, I want to be better for my wife, and I want to be better for myself.

I quit drinking completely 2 years ago...I read somewhere that drinking was borrowing happiness from tomorrow and it just flipped a switch for me.  It's not even appealing any more and I haven't slept this well in 20 years.  But so much more needs to change, and that's why I'm here.  I continue to struggle with emotional eating and finding time to exercise.  I've cycled through the same 20-30 lbs a half dozen times in the last 10 years, and I'm tired of the emotional roller coaster that brings with it.

I look forward to sharing the journey with the group.

• Like 4

You're in good company. 40yo here, father of a 2yo, also BMI over 40. The current five week challenge ends this week, if you haven't already I recommend taking a look at this post to see how to get started with the five week challenge system and get one ready for when the new challenge boards go up next week.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

21 hours ago, BrounHownd said:

Then I got a desk job and a house and kids and got tired all the time and that all faded away. 

Ah, yes. This is so familiar. I'm now 55 and have not only kids but grandminions; I was about 48 when I abruptly noticed that health (and pants that fit!) was something I needed to work for instead of something I could take for granted.  

Tank's right - the Challenge board is the bomb. And the diggity. 

Welcome aboard. 

giphy.gif

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

On 4/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're in good company. 40yo here, father of a 2yo, also BMI over 40. The current five week challenge ends this week, if you haven't already I recommend taking a look at this post to see how to get started with the five week challenge system and get one ready for when the new challenge boards go up next week.

Hey man, thanks for that positive encouragement and heads up on the five week challenges--I'll read up today.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2022 at 8:47 AM, Gemma said:

Ah, yes. This is so familiar. I'm now 55 and have not only kids but grandminions; I was about 48 when I abruptly noticed that health (and pants that fit!) was something I needed to work for instead of something I could take for granted.  

Tank's right - the Challenge board is the bomb. And the diggity. 

Welcome aboard. 

Gemma, thanks for that positive reinforcement, and I agree--its now something we have to be intentional about.  

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know you and others here.

• Like 1