Sara Kingdom Wears the Lilac for the Glorious 25th of May

81IKoRHGQNL._SL1070_.jpg

Vetinari sighed, and put down his pen. "Drumknott," he called towards the outer chamber.

The clerk entered noiselessly. "Yes, my lord?" he said.

The Patrician waved at the papers on his desk. "Take these away. I'm..." He trailed off, and rubbed his goatee distractedly.

Drumknott cleared his throat. "Bored, sir?" He gathered up the papers on the desk into a neat sheaf.

"One does not get bored of ruling a city like Ankh-Morpork, Drumknott," said Vetinari in a tone that would, in other men, be described as slightly peevish. No one ever described the patrician of Ankh-Morpork as peevish. At least, not if they valued a scorpion-free existence on the outside of the dungeon walls.

It was, however, the time of year when a certain... restlessness set in. It was the same every May. One would have to be fairly close to the Patrician to notice this shift in mood, and that was precisely where most people strove not to be. Drumknott noticed.

"I have taken the liberty, my lord," said Drumknott. He placed a thin file folder in front of Vetinari, and carefully squared it up. "I thought one of these might amuse."

Vetinari opened the folder. He flipped past the first sheet, plucked out the second sheet for further perusal, then the third, flipped past the fourth, and paused on the fifth. "Interesting," he said. "She has been away quite some time, has she not?"

"Indeed, sir," said Drumknott. "I understand she will be reporting back to work soon. The Dark Clerks have cleared a desk for her. Do you wish to send down an assignment?"

"Oh, I think we should have a very special assignment waiting for Sara Kingdom," said Vetinari. He smiled thinly.

Glorious25thofMay.gif?fit=512,349&ssl=1

A Challynge yn Foure Partes

Parte I: Clerking

"As a wizard, I must tell you, Havelock, that words have power."
"As a politician, I must tell you I already know."

I'm reading two books that talk about writing as a mental transformation habit, which I was surprised to find, cuz I've been toying with the idea of "write it down or it didn't happen" as a core principle of thinking through plans and problems - basically, the idea that if you don't make it tangible, you're probably kidding yourself on how clearly and well you really thought it through - and writing as a way of finding out what you're not aware you think, the act of recording as a necessary part of the thinking process itself. The first is inspired by Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way", but brings in more research-based stuff, and the second is one of the researchy books it's based on.

So I will be hauling out the notebooks and doing a lot of writing. There will be some basic journalling to clear my head and figure out what I'm interested in these days. There will be weekly (and possibly daily) planning and review writing on sets of questions and stuff, to make myself do the job clearly and fully, and bypass the lack of focus going on. There may even be an experiment with expressive writing as a way of processing and clearing the head of various bits of negative flotsam and jetsam it stalls out on, or has to keep handling. (Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs, but the science is good.) Basically, a lot of writing. A ton of writing.

Parte II: Monking

"Time has stopped for everyone but you," said Sweeper patiently. "Actually, that sentence is wrong in every particular, but it’s quite a useful lie."

Lately, I've been managing to sleep purely by doing very deliberate physical and mental stillness meditations in bed. It's ridiculously  hard. This is not normal for me, at least in recent years, so it's a big sign that my meditation habit needs to come back in a big way. If my brain is buzzing that hard when I'm trying to sleep, it's probably jangling that hard all the time, and that can't be helping anything.

So I'm gonna learn how to stop time and get some stillness back with meditation.

Parte III: Patrolling

Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

This part is simple. Walking. I will patrol my city.

Parte IV: Assassining

The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be called catlike, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things.

Strength and mobility training, for scaling rooftops and things. The strength training will start with a continuation of the previous challenge's isometric stuff: horse stance (static squat), planks, ITWY exercises, and some bridge. When my schedule gets wrangled into shape, I will try to get some daily yoga before bed, but it's not gonna be a week 1 kinda goal.

It was a Guild of Assassins, after all. Black was what you wore. The night was black and so were you. And black had such style, and an Assassin without style, everyone agreed, was just a highly paid arrogant thug.

Pure bonus material, but I think some wearing of black and stylishness should get points. A lot of aikido teachers will tell you to focus on elegance, and putting the focus on the process rather than the goal tends to improve the efficacy. I've noticed this with writing, too; a focus on elegant handwriting tends to slow down and smooth the jangly bits in the brain and the content becomes better.

Ye Planne

The plan is not to jump into doing all of this at once, because I'm currently at very low capacity for getting things done and adding things to my list, but to step up how much I'm doing during the challenge. Some goals aren't even on my list for the initial week or two, and the rest, for the first couple of weeks, I'll be fine with hitting them half the days. Doing something half the days is better than zero of the days, and I'm going to need some time to try to find a good schedule time for them. Wrangling my schedule, especially when it comes to sleep, is turning out to be a big obstacle, so I'm starting by doing just what helps get that stabilized better.

Template: Week 0 Day 1

Mon      Tue       Wed     Thu     Fri       Sat     Sun    
Meditation              
Journal              
Written Plans & Reviews              
Emotive Writing Exercise              

Walking

Strength

Yoga

Assassin Style Bonus

7571a4797d6d687c329a5607039ebc8d.jpg

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

37 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I love reading your Discworld Themed stuff.

It's been a long time. I'm surprised it's still there. This solves the issue of this month's bedtime audiobook, though.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 0 Day 1

Meditation              
Journal 🖊️            
Written Plans & Reviews              
Emotive Writing Exercise              

Walking

Strength

Yoga

Assassin Style Bonus

I slept poorly last night, adding acute sleep deficit to chronic sleep deficit, and am not coping at all well with stress today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Hope you get some better sleep tonight. Loving the Discworld narrative of course.

• Like 1

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 7  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 2  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Honour amongst thieves

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

I am hydrating. I have ice water, hot tea, and a modest amount of booze, and I'm triple-fisting them. Each one has its own delights, so this is the proper way to hydrate.

Also, I did something kind for one of my many steep annoyances, because I'm a wonderful person and a fucking ray of sunshine, dammit.

This is one of those days where anything that is not an ugly violent argument or a ton of ugly angry-cry-ranting is a massive accomplishment. I have so far done three things that are non-argument-based. I am working my way around to making a list of things I can do today to fix things. Maybe I'll make a snack and do that list.

• Like 7

I can't believe it's been a year since, well, this time last year. I wish you luck. And sleep.

Your learnings upon writing sound very interesting. I will have to read this book, The Artist's Way. And the second book? Also worth reading?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I love how you write the Discworld scenes and frame your challenges.

You are a paragon of virtue for having done things that are not argument-based. I hope that success inspires you to great deeds today. I am sure there are rugs that need to be beaten if it comes to that.

• Like 1

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

31 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Your learnings upon writing sound very interesting. I will have to read this book, The Artist's Way. And the second book? Also worth reading?

The Artist's Way is quite venerable in certain circles, and might be up your alley. The other book, I'm not far enough into to really review, but I think the information will be good. (I can't recall the title, but it's by Allison Fallon.)

14 minutes ago, Mistr said:

You are a paragon of virtue for having done things that are not argument-based. I hope that success inspires you to great deeds today. I am sure there are rugs that need to be beaten if it comes to that.

I was indeed a paragon of virtue and even had a mature, adult conversation that probably made things better for all involved. But the cost of a whole day of high stress garbage is a very high ask on their parts.

37 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I can't believe it's been a year since, well, this time last year.

It feels like it's been a million years since I last did a Discworld challenge.

20 hours ago, Jarric said:

Loving the Discworld narrative of course.

22 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I love how you write the Discworld scenes and frame your challenges.

I don't know what it will be this time! This will take some thought. I'm out of practice.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 2

Meditation              
Journal 🖊️ 🖊️          
Written Plans & Reviews   🖊️          
Emotive Writing Exercise              

Walking

🚶‍♀️          

Strength

Yoga

Assassin Style Bonus

Brother Big Wee Angus glanced at the clock, then lept on the table in a six-inch blur of blue and saffron.  "Crivens!  Look at the time!"

"Yes...?" said Lu Tze. One bit of time is much like another, after all. Instead, he regarded his boiled egg with careful consideration.

"I'm late for th'palace," said the Feegle. He grabbed a triangle of toast and wolfed it down.

"Relax," said Lu Tze. "Is it not said, there's no need to import sand to Klatch?"

"Oh, aye," said Brother Big Wee Angus. "Must be.  Ye've jist said it. QED, aye?" He lifted a mug of tea with yak butter that was as tall as he was, and downed it in one gulp.

Lu Tze removed the top of his boiled egg, though one would be hard pressed to spot a knife having been involved in the process. "What I mean," he said, "is that we are History Monks. We can't be late. Well," he paused, "I suppose we could, in theory. But it doesn't need to stay that way."

"Aye, but I dinna like the paperwork," said Big Wee Angus. This was perhaps unsurprising. Feegles were, on the whole, not big on paperwork. Feegles were not big on many things, including general bigness itself, but paperwork was especially high on the list.

"What are you doing at the palace?" said Lu Tze. He dipped some toast into his egg yolk.

"Teaching th'wise an' ineffable secrets of stillness and calm tae some unenlightened big jobs," said Brother Big Wee Angus. "Laters. I'm offski!" There was another blur of blue and saffron, from the sugar bowl down to the floor and out the door.

Lu Tze crunched his toast thoughtfully. "As it is written, 'well, blow me down,'" he said.

• Like 5

(It's been a while since we've seen @ChrisWithaStick so I should probably tell him his favorite Feegle is back. How's it going, Chris? Any chance you'll pop in and join us this round? We're sorely in need of more monk energy.)

• Like 1

We are here, and this is now… Vimes understood it to mean, in less exalted copper speak, that you have to do the job that is in front of you.”

- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

• Like 3

I was just bemoaning my lack of lifting iron and rowing machines to Tank the other day... and today I'm browsing resistance bands, and realized you can make a rowing machine out of resistance bands and a platform on casters. This is a thing people do. Not only is it ultra cheap, but it's super efficient to store. This is my holy grail, guys. I fucking love rowing, and I fucking love efficient storage of shit.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 4

4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I was just bemoaning my lack of lifting iron and rowing machines to Tank the other day... and today I'm browsing resistance bands, and realized you can make a rowing machine out of resistance bands and a platform on casters. This is a thing people do. Not only is it ultra cheap, but it's super efficient to store. This is my holy grail, guys. I fucking love rowing, and I fucking love efficient storage of shit.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

21 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

This sounds awesome! I'd love to see what it looks like!

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

19 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

This sounds awesome! I'd love to see what it looks like!

I was looking up ways to simulate rowing with resistance bands, and what I found was that not only can you roughly do it, but some people add a rolling seat, and get the whole rowing machine experience. (You loop the bands around your feet, and put your feet against a solid surface. It's extremely close to what an actual rowing machine is.) If I can dig up some plywood or something, this is probably under $20 in materials. It's just a scooter board and some resistance bands, maybe a dowel handle if I feel fancy.

Videos:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Remind me, the assassining rules are that I can't kill anyone I'm not paid to kill? Nil mortifi sine lucre? I need a refresher here.

assassins-guild-crest.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This made me smile at a time when I really needed it. 

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Remind me, the assassining rules are that I can't kill anyone I'm not paid to kill? Nil mortifi sine lucre? I need a refresher here.

This too.

Thank you both.

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Week 0 Day 4

Meditation              
Journal 🖊️ 🖊️ 🖊️        
Written Plans & Reviews   🖊️   🖊️      
Emotive Writing Exercise              

Walking

🚶‍♀️   🚶‍♀️      

Strength

Yoga

Assassin Style Bonus

🗡️      

Sara broke the black wax seal on the envelope with the embossed 'V', and read the paper inside. She looked up, horrified.

"Ah," said Drumnott with satisfaction. "You've read that bit."

"He can't be serious," said Sara.

"His lordship is always serious," said Drumknott. While not strictly true, most people did not enjoy being reminded of Lord Vetinari's more whimsical turns, making this a useful fiction. "He did say that I should point out it was only for the day."

"Even so..." said Sara.

"He also wished me to add that you would not like the alternative."

"Because...?" said Sara.

"He did not say. Simply that you would not like the alternative," said Drumknott.

Sara thought about this for a moment. Well, yes, generally speaking, that was true. That was the trouble with doing unpleasant things; they generally had much more unpleasant alternatives. Not to mention any subsequent time spent hanging in the scorpion pit.

Some tasks were, of course, the proverbial scorpion pit. But, and this was important to remember, they were not the literal scorpion pit. And sometimes their alternatives were both. That was what it came down to, really. She would do it because the alternative was not doing it. And needing venom-proof trousers.

The problem with Lord Vetinari, she thought, is that he was in some ways a remarkably clear thinker, for a man with such a complicated mind. Nature tended not to provide those things hand in hand. Presumably it was too dangerous a combination.

• Like 5

Just now, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh I love a good discworld challenge! 💜🖤💜

I knoooooow, it's been a while, hasn't it? It's possible I only did May and Hogswatch last year. And now I'm almost feeling the urge for a Feegle challenge again.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:23 AM, sarakingdom said:

On 5/5/2022 at 4:30 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No inhumation without remuneration. 

Just a little clarification... Does this mean if no one pays you, you don't kill anyone? Or does it mean that if you kill someone, someone has to pay you? There could be a major difference in cashflow/body count, depending.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru