Hello there.

I didn't post much last challenge, but it went pretty well.  My lifts have all gone up a bit.  I don't expect to see much more increase in bench or OHP, at least not very quickly.  I'm still working on bringing my deadlift back up to my previous high point.  But it's going well.  Food went less well.  My eating hasn't been as bad as it used to be, but it's been fairly unrestrained, and my weight is creaping back up again.  I can attribute a little bit of this to muscle gain, but let's be honest, you can only gain a pound or two of muscle per month, and I've gained quite a bit more than that, and my pants are getting tight again.  Time to re-adjust.

I don't want to go too low on calories, which I think I have done in the past.  So for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to weigh in as close to daily as I can, to establish the average and the trend.  I'm also going to track calories, not with a specific limit in mind, but to see what I'm actually eating.  I will go ahead and cut the easy stuff first, like liquid calories.  Once I've established my current baseline, I'll make  a small calorie adjustment, then give it a couple of weeks to sink and, and reassess.  I want to work it down to about a pound a week of weight loss, and hold that for a while.  During this time I'll keep lifting, although I won't be aggressively pursuing increases, and I'll try to keep my protein intake up, although I'm not super strict on macros.

That's the plan.  If I get my starting point established and loose a few pounds by the end of this challenge, I'll consider that a win.

• Like 8

Level 46 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

That seems like a smart strategy.  Following for recalibration!

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Monday Update

Food was okay.  I ended up at approx. 2950 cals.  due to ice cream.

I got a light bench press day in, 5x5@185#.  I'll go heavier later this week, most likely.  Deadlifts tonight, if I have time.

• Like 2

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

15 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I don't want to go too low on calories, which I think I have done in the past.  So for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to weigh in as close to daily as I can, to establish the average and the trend.  I'm also going to track calories, not with a specific limit in mind, but to see what I'm actually eating.  I will go ahead and cut the easy stuff first, like liquid calories.  Once I've established my current baseline, I'll make  a small calorie adjustment, then give it a couple of weeks to sink and, and reassess.

I thoroughly endorse this approach - knowing what you actually eat and burn before making any changes is so much easier than picking an arbitrary calorie number. Also, I'm a big fan of small changes over long periods as a strategy.

• Like 1

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 4  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 1  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Little and Often

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Tuesday Update

Food was okay.  I came in at 2560 calories.  This is closer to what I suspect my goal will end up being.  Online calculators suggest that I'll end up needing to be around 2200, but we'll see.

No exercise on Tuesday.  I'm covering day classes, so I haven't been able to go home at lunch, and I had a commitment in the evening and then I didn't want to lift at bed time.  Today will be much the same, except that I'm determined not to miss OHP day, so I'll get it done even if it's late.

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

Hullo~    Trying to follow from this place too this time around. :D

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Wednesday Update

Food was okay yesterday.  I ended up at 2330 cals.  Not bad.

I got my OHP done.  I did 5 sets of 5, the first three at 115# then two at 105#.  The 115s were a little heavier than I wanted, so I stepped it down to be sure to make reps.  Not sure why my press has fallen off, other than being slightly inconsistent with getting it done every week.  I'll have to try to stay on top of it and see if it goes back up.  But if not, I'm happy with the weight, and I should see some results as long as I stay in the RPE 7 range.  Considering how little time I have, I can't really run a proper program to make a lot of gains in weight beyond where I am right now, at least in presses.  I expect my deadlift to keep going up for a while, although I haven't been able to get more than one session a week for that, so it might be slow going too.  Next week should be better; Lord willing I won't be in class and I'll be able to actually lift every day.

• Like 3

KBO. - Churchill

In other news, I think I've been here right around 5 years now, and this is my 46th challenge.  I know you were curious.

• Like 6

KBO. - Churchill

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

In other news, I think I've been here right around 5 years now, and this is my 46th challenge.  I know you were curious.

We must have joined at almost the same time then.

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

Weekend Update

The weekend was really good.

I didn't get to lift until Saturday, but I got bench press and deadlifts done.  Bench was 4x5@220#.  DL was 5 reps at 215, then 5 at 225, then 3 at 245.  This week I want to get a light DL day in on Tuesday if I can, and then go to a 3x5 on Saturday.  I'll probably start that at 225 and see if I can do a linear progression for a little while in that pattern.  I should be able to lift more than I am; I just have to work up to it.

Food has been okay.  I've been more or less tracking most days.  Weight is still climbing.  Cals have been averaging around 2400-2600 on a better day, and well over 3000 on a not as good day.  so I think I'm going to set a hard target at 2200-2400 per day, and see what happens if I can do that for a couple of weeks.  I should also be able to get a little more consistent exercise for a while, as I don't have any disruptions to my routines planned in the near future.  I'm thinking about trying to add some light cardio, just short walks, when I can fit them in.  But that might be too ambitious from scheduling point of view, so we'll see.

• Like 3

KBO. - Churchill

On 5/2/2022 at 3:49 PM, Cheetah said:

going to track calories, not with a specific limit in mind, but to see what I'm actually eating

Hey Cheetah,

I really like this approach; keeps me from judging my actions harshly. I just want to observe and record at first.

Best of luck!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Yay for good weekends.

Solid plan on the cal adjustment.

Today I am hitting that grind again too.

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Update

Well, I didn't update since a week ago.  Slacker.

Food has been okay, but I have been over target by a little bit on about half of the days, so that's not going to give me a good look at what that calorie level will give me for results.  I need to rein that in this week.

Lifting was mostly good.  I got 4 sessions in, and the only thing I really missed was OHP.  My press is suffering from neglect.

Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend who wants to start lifting with me at my house during the summer break.  He's a teacher, and during the school year he lifts at school.  We will be able to hold each other accountable and this will make for a better lifting habit through the summer.  I'll have to re-think programming a little bit, and see if there's a different weekly routine that will work for both of us.  I'm not sure he wants to come over every day, but maybe he does.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm looking forward to having someone to work out with.

• Like 5

KBO. - Churchill

Monday Update.

Food was good.  I came in at 2165 cals, more or less.

I got bench presses done at lunch time.  5x8 @175/180#

My beautiful wife and I went and saw Neil Gaiman in the evening.  It was very fun.  Listening to him talk about how he writes makes me believe that I could do it, too.

• Like 3

KBO. - Churchill

Tuesday Update

Food was okay, I think.  I had a dinner that was impossible to track, but I was pretty reasonable about it, so I probably came in about right.

I got some deadlifts done, 3x5@230#.  Good times.

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

It's Saturday

I didn't lift wednesday, but I did thursday and today.  I got everything in for the week except OHP.  I need to get back on track with that.

Food has been meh.  I'm not doing a really good job of tracking.  I'll try to do better.

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

I am very behind in checking on folks here, but work has been dumb.

Neat news on your coworker wanting to lift with ya.  I'd say, if you lift every day, it would be easy to just say you're welcome to join, this is when I am there.  And let him pick and choose his days as fits with the both of you schedule wise?

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Monday

today I did: benchpress 5x5@215#, Deadlift 3x5@220#, meadows rows 2x10@40#, cable crossover flys 2x10@25#. I'd have done heavier deadlifts but I was supersetting with bench and I ran out of plates. I'd have done more accessories but I was starting to get sweaty and I still have a lot of work time, so I cut it off. But I feel pretty good anyway.

Food is really good today.  I came in right around 2000 cals.

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill

On 5/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, Cheetah said:

Listening to him talk about how he writes makes me believe that I could do it, too.

I think you could. I like Gaiman for those reasons. He encourages others to create too, and doesn't treat it like it's a special gift, but work. He enjoys the work, but it's work!

Having a workout buddy is nice! I hope it meets your expectations. 

• Like 1

Today I did OHP for the first time in a while.   I backed off the weight a bit from where I was, so today it was 5x5@105#.  If I can get more consistent with it I'll bump it back up a little, but probably not much for a while.

Food is much better today.  Estimating around 1900 cals, which is slightly low out of deference to yesterday's total shit show.

• Like 3

KBO. - Churchill