Artemis Prime Rests

Hey all. I've been feeling really unmotivated and unambitious lately. Considering my problem is usually trying to do EVERYTHING, it's very weird for me to not be interested in doing much of anything. So I've identified a few things that I believe may be contributing to my overall lethargy and this challenge will be all about working to get back to my usual energized self.

Restorative Slumber

Sleep seems like the logical place to start,  but my quantity of sleep is good. I do think I'm overdue for a new mattress, but that isn't in the budget at the moment, so instead I bought a new pillow instead and splurged for what is supposed to be a good one instead of grabbing the cheapest one at Walmart. I've only had it about 3 days, so it's a bit soon to tell, but I do think I'm sleeping better.

Rested Vision

I'm almost certain that eye strain is contributing to the problem. I have tried to reduce my screen time, but I spend a lot of my work day on the computer, and there's not a lot I can do about that. So I'm also looking into blue light filtering glasses to see if that helps.

Restful Space

Last challenge was supposed to be all about cleaning my space up, and I made progress, but there is more work to be done. A quiet space=a quiet mind, so I'll keep plugging away at this.

Rejuvenated Spirit

I have gotten lax with my devotional time. I think I'm going to take this challenge to do a word study on rest in the Bible.

Restful Hobbies
Some activities leave me feeling much better than others, and I need to get better at making time for the ones that don't leave me feeling depleted. Specifically, I'm prioritizing music, writing, and homesteading.

Rejuvenation

A lot of nights I skip or truncate my skin care routine, and that needs to stop. It takes less than 5 minutes and I feel so much better when I stay on top of this.

Active Recovery

I'm not pushing exercise this challenge, because I've noticed the more I try to force myself into it the less likely I am to actually follow through, but I do want to keep moving. So the goal this challenge is to walk or do yoga 5 days/week. It's probably going to be more walking than yoga, that's mostly to act as a backup on rainy days.

• Like 7

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Looks like a good plan. I bought an expensive pillow from a mattress store, and I love it. I bought it when I bought the mattress, so I can't say which helped , but I did sleep better

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

A word study on rest is a great idea. Dedicating a challenge period to intelligent self-care and restoration is genius. 

• Like 1

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

I was thinking about you this week!  I've not been on the forums much, and you've been less vocal on discord, so I was just wondering how you were doing.

I am making a huge effort to keep up here better, so hi friend!

Hey... on the devotion stuff, if you ever wanna do a devotional together, I think the YouVersion bible app has some way of doing that, but I never poked into it.  I'd be down!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 5/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Rested Vision

I'm almost certain that eye strain is contributing to the problem. I have tried to reduce my screen time, but I spend a lot of my work day on the computer, and there's not a lot I can do about that. So I'm also looking into blue light filtering glasses to see if that helps.

Have you heard of 20-20-20? 

Every 20 mins look 20 feet away for 20 seconds? 

I used to do Pomodoro studying with this in school. I'm now currently trapped in a room that is barely 20 feet at work with no windows so can understand how just being fatigued naturally being out of your control. 

• Like 1

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

On 5/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, Elastigirl said:

Looks like a good plan. I bought an expensive pillow from a mattress store, and I love it. I bought it when I bought the mattress, so I can't say which helped , but I did sleep better

I replaced all my fencing the same day I got my new pillow, so I think the pillow got a little more credit than it deserved for me sleeping so soundly the first couple nights. It is an improvement, and my neck is definitely feeling better, but the mattress really does need replaced. I'd like to wait until I have the apartment done so we don't have to move it twice, but I might look into mattress toppers to help out until then.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, Gemma said:

A word study on rest is a great idea. Dedicating a challenge period to intelligent self-care and restoration is genius. 

Thanks! Intelligent self-care being the important part. There's a lot of very self-defeating behaviors often touted as self-care, and I have been known to fall into those traps on occasion. I really need a rogue in the party who's better at detecting traps than I am.

21 hours ago, starpuck said:

I was thinking about you this week!  I've not been on the forums much, and you've been less vocal on discord, so I was just wondering how you were doing.

I am making a huge effort to keep up here better, so hi friend!

Hey... on the devotion stuff, if you ever wanna do a devotional together, I think the YouVersion bible app has some way of doing that, but I never poked into it.  I'd be down!

HELLO! I've been absent on discord largely because I didn't want to make a bad impression in my new job, but no one cares what I'm doing back here as long as the work is getting done. I was just thinking I should hop back on and see what you've all been up to.

Also, I would LOVE to do a devotional together. I know nothing about YouVersion, but I'll definitely be checking it out.

16 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Have you heard of 20-20-20? 

Every 20 mins look 20 feet away for 20 seconds? 

I used to do Pomodoro studying with this in school. I'm now currently trapped in a room that is barely 20 feet at work with no windows so can understand how just being fatigued naturally being out of your control. 

I have heard of it, but somehow managed to completely forget about it. I used to have a lot of productive success with Pomodoro. I've drifted away from it, but it's certainly worth getting back to.

I'm in a cubicle now, so if my neighbor's away from her desk, I can look across the aisle and get a good 20 foot gaze in. If she's in, I look like a total creeper. But it's a well laid out office with lots of windows, and taking every 20 minutes to stroll to the water fountain or check my mailbox is an excellent way to rest my eyes and stretch my legs. Just need to get better at actually doing that.

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Self-care buddies! To a successful challenge!

Yay! I'll have to catch up on your thread and compare notes.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

I totally self-sabotaged zero week, and I regret nothing. Tuesday was the first Pittsburgh Penguins playoff game, and wouldn't you know it went into triple overtime. I'm not sorry I stayed through to the end at my sister's place (especially because we won!) but I was exhausted at work yesterday and still dragging a bit today. I've been more conscientious about resting my eyes at work today, and it's been better. Still think I'm going to get a pair of glasses though. (I got a $25 gift card from my director for administrative assistants day, so I think it's a sign I'm supposed to buy a pair.)

I did a little preliminary research for my word study and got pretty excited about it. That little thrill is what I've been missing, so it's a very good sign to have it back again. 

I've been using my lunch break to walk to the library, which is half a mile from my office, so I get a total of 1 mile in on my break and also get to read/check out books/bask in the glorious stillness of the stacks. But today it was particularly beautiful so instead I walked up the hill to the cemetery, and I'm going to need to bring better shoes to work to make that a regular habit, but it was such a nice hidden away green space. Going to be spending much more time there.

I haven't been good with my hobbies this week, but I did get a LotR piano book for my birthday that should come in very handy there. I have been taking a few minutes a day to do a little tidying. It's going to take a harder push to make real progress, but I figure if I pick away at the easy things, I can tackle the harder spots when I have more time.

I have not skipped my skin care once this week, even when I got home super late after the hockey game. Go me!

Thanks as always for cheering my on, guys. I promise I'll get to your threads soon!

• Like 3

Also, completely unrelated to challenge topics, our IT department changed our backgrounds for Star Wars Day yesterday, and I love it.

20220505_085119.thumb.jpg.5a5376df12463177c29be8f6b18c0ab2.jpg

My favorite part is that they gave the eagle a red lightsaber. I'm assuming that's a secret message that our county is actually being run by a Sith Lord.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I haven't been good with my hobbies this week, but I did get a LotR piano book for my birthday that should come in very handy there.

How cool! When I was in band, we did a compilation of music from the movies for one of our concerts. The music is epic and it was a lot of fun to play.

• Like 2

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

totally self-sabotaged zero week, and I regret nothing. Tuesday was the first Pittsburgh Penguins playoff game, and wouldn't you know it went into triple overtime. I'm not sorry I stayed through to the end at my sister's place (especially because we won!)

Sounds like acceptable side quest of self-care....

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

My favorite part is that they gave the eagle a red lightsaber. I'm assuming that's a secret message that our county is actually being run by a Sith Lord.

Aww that's cool! I did it to 3 people yesterday, but forgot to post on my own thread. 

• Like 2

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

7 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Pittsburgh Penguins playoff game

I feel like we probably covered this ages ago, and the fact you called it a Pens game, and not a Rangers game... should mean you are also a Pens fan??  I didn't watch the game, only kept on with FB posts from them.  Holy smokes.   I get so nervous at playoff time!  LOL.   I should try and get TheBoy to watch a game this weekend if it lines up right.     I would really like these guys to get one more Cup.   (At least one more.)

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 5/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Artemis Prime said:

I've been feeling really unmotivated and unambitious lately.

Sounds like a period in Rivendell is in order!

• Like 2

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Well, the weekend did not go at all as planned, as I developed a fever on Saturday and did not do much of anything. Silver lining, there was lots of resting, which is the whole theme of this challenge. And now we're officially into week one and it is time to buckle down and get organized.

I didn't walk on my lunch break yesterday because I was still taking it easy, but I took another walk up t the cemetery today. It went much better today with the proper shoes, but it's still enough of a hike that it won't be an every day thing for me. Especially once it gets hot, as I don't want to come back from my lunch break all sweaty. 

I haven't done any cleaning or been keeping up on my hobbies. Some of that is due to being sick, but it's also because I've been watching hockey games every other night. I also still haven't started my word study. So, the plan for tonight:

I don't want to push it too hard today either. I'll throw a load of laundry in and spend the evening outside, possibly doing some gardening but possibly just enjoying the sunshine. I will also figure out what I'm doing with my word study.

Tomorrow I'm helping my neighbor and there's another hockey game, so that will account for most of my time, but I will carve out 5 minutes to clean a little if nothing else. 

Thursday I will report back in here and figure out what I'm doing for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Sounds like acceptable side quest of self-care....

I am totally labelling hockey as self-care from now on.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:03 PM, starpuck said:

I feel like we probably covered this ages ago, and the fact you called it a Pens game, and not a Rangers game... should mean you are also a Pens fan??  I didn't watch the game, only kept on with FB posts from them.  Holy smokes.   I get so nervous at playoff time!  LOL.   I should try and get TheBoy to watch a game this weekend if it lines up right.     I would really like these guys to get one more Cup.   (At least one more.)

Wait...HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU ARE A PENS FAN??? Every time I talk to you, Puck, I end up liking you more. It's kind of bittersweet knowing this might be their last run together, but man have they been exciting games.

Jade has been getting into the games, too. 

20220507_195348.thumb.jpg.255b7c8e798414edfe92d95bc746c61e.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Wait...HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU ARE A PENS FAN???

Hahaha, The feeling is very mutual by the way!      I've been to Pens games (in Pittsburgh) more often than I've been to any hometown Hawks games lol.   (And yes I get a LOT of hate for not being a Hawks fan.)

My friend and I even went to the inaugural game at the new center back in 2010. :) 

PenguinsNewArena 047.JPG

Jade is adorable in the scarf!  Well done!      And ditto on a slow start for week one for me.  Oof.  Having two days off throws off my routine on normal things like crazy.  Hope you get over the sickness bump soon too!!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

22 hours ago, starpuck said:

My friend and I even went to the inaugural game at the new center back in 2010. :) 

Very cool! My favorite thing about PPG is even when you're sitting in the cheap seats (i.e. where I always get tickets) you can still see everything. I have been to a couple of games in a box through a mutual friend, which is cool, but I actually didn't enjoy those games as much. I guess I'm just cheap-seats people.

Alrighty nerds, I feel like I'm starting to hit my stride. Did a tiny bit of garden-prep Tuesday, but it was hot and I was still a bit shaky, so I didn't try to get too much done. Was feeling a bit lazy about doing the laundry, but I told you guys I was going to put laundry in, so I did, because the real magic is the accountability we found along the way.

I did not get my 5 minutes of cleaning done last night. I really struggle to get anything done on days I help my neighbor. I'm not sure what it is, but even when I don't do anything particularly physically taxing for her, I come home WIPED. I know she'd like me to do more over there, but I try really hard to keep it limited to once/week. Especially because if I start doing two days, she starts pushing for three, etc. etc. 

I've gotten my word study more or less organized. In the process, I discovered blueletterbible.org, which has some pretty cool free tools. Also, my library has now opened their courtyard for the summer, so yay for an outdoor reading break at lunch!

Testing out this magical accountability some more: tonight I will put my laundry away and till another section of my garden.

• Like 3

I nixed the garden tilling yesterday because it's been pretty hot and dry here, so I figured I'd just churn up a lot of dust. It's supposed to rain over the weekend, so that should soften everything up and I don't usually plant until Memorial Day, so I've got time. I did put the laundry away though because I couldn't come here and tell you guys I whiffed on both things.

Sadly, I think the office air conditioning is really messing with me. They just turned it on this week and my throat has been bothering me a lot. Judging from the coughs I hear from my co-workers, I'm not the only one. Sipping some tea and honey now, and I'm going to look into getting a little humidifier to keep by my desk.

I adjusted the settings on my computer so it's easier on my eyes, but I think I'll still get the glasses.

Another hockey game tonight and my cousin's bridal shower is tomorrow. Somewhere in there I will clear the chair in my bedroom and play a couple of my new LotR songs on the piano. 

Skin care has not been great this week. Maybe instead of saving it for bedtime, I'll experiment with different times to see if there's a better spot to fit it into my routine.

• Like 2

I wished I had put off the tilling on Saturday lol... good call on the rain.   We were able to get our veggies in so I am super proud mamaber (Mama + Cucumber?)

Sad night for hockey ... I was so hoping they'd push through.   We can console each other at least.

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

17 hours ago, starpuck said:

We were able to get our veggies in so I am super proud mamaber (Mama + Cucumber?)

Cucama? I'm planning to tone down my garden a bit this year, focusing mainly on beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Probably throw a few zucchini in based on room.

17 hours ago, starpuck said:

Sad night for hockey ...

😢😢😢

Hey guys, meant to post more regularly. Here are the highs and lows from the weekend/first part of week 2:

Saturday: Was a bit of a dolt in the morning. I was unloading hay and it started to rain, so I rushed through it trying to get the bales under cover and tweaked my back. It's not terrible, but I do have to be careful how I move while it heals. Went to my cousin's bridal shower at 11, and had a really good time. I haven't seen my cousins and aunts for a while, got to meet some of my aunt's bio family who she just found last year, and got a bit of a champagne buzz on from the mimosas. Went home and lazed around in the sun, sleeping it off.

Sunday: A good day. Enjoyed the morning service a lot, had a very quiet afternoon. Read in the shade/lazed in the hammock. Did a lot of pondering on my word study. From Genesis 2:2 "and He rested on the seventh day," uses the Hebrew word  šāḇaṯ, which is the root for Sabbath, which we typically translate as "to rest". However, šāḇaṯ is used 71 times in the Old Testament, and 47 of those times, it is translated as "to cease." Haven't really pulled any concise meaning out of that yet, but it's floating around in the old brain pan. Sunday night the Penguins hockey season ended, which was tragic. I try to keep my sports fandom in proper perspective, but it was a pretty disappointing end, especially since it was likely our Big 3's last time on the ice together.

Monday: Rained a good bit of the day, so I did not get my walk in on my lunch break. Was very nice by the time the work day ended, though, so I got half of my garden tilled. 

Tuesday: Volunteered to help with elections. A pretty interesting day with a pretty fun group, although I may have developed carpal tunnel from opening 10,000 mail in votes. Left me feeling good about contributing to the democratic process. Went home and got another wall panel built for my barn.

I've been playing the piano a few minutes every day. Definitely need to work on building up my forearms for those octave reaches. Skin care routine has not been good. I've been spending lots of time outside, so inside stuff has been neglected. I have been taking a few minutes a day to put away 1-2 things. At this pace, it's going to take me forever to finish, but incremental progress is being made. I haven't gotten my lunch break walks in so far this week due to weather and elections, but I've been active after work, so that counts. Ever since I adjusted my screen settings, my eyes have been feeling pretty good, so I'm holding off on the glasses for now. And the weather has turned cooler, so no office air conditioning, which makes my sinuses very happy. 

Today I will either do some more barn work or till another section of garden, play the piano, and do 5 minutes of cleaning. I will also do my skin care routine immediately after dinner and weather looks good for a walk at lunch.

• Like 4

Hope the back get better quickly!

To me, taking a Sabbath means not striving for my goals or work. A recognizing that unless God  does the work through me, it is all for nothing. Therefore, on  Sunday, I can relax and not have to  look at a 'to do' list.  Whatever isn't done, can wait until next week. Obviously, there are exceptions, this is grace not law. I'm talking as a general practice

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

9 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Sunday night the Penguins hockey season ended, which was tragic.

Minnesota Wild fan here ... I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49